Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hello! I am a long-time Android hold-out; was waiting until a 4g phone with a keyboard came along; jumped the gun because of Verizon starting data caps, so I went with an HTC Thunderbolt.

I just got it today, and it's charging right now. Before I so much as do anything with this phone, I plan to root it and unlock the bootloader. I've been reading threads here and over at XDA, and I still feel like a moron. Keep in mind I was/am very well capable of unlocking and flashing WinMo 6.5 phones but that was a while ago.

If I got this correct, I believe:

I'm supposed to go to the Android App store and download ROM Manager

I choose which ROM I want

It's incredibly awesome and wipes my phone then installs it

There is no reason to change your radio unless some magnificent maniac makes one better than the one Verizon offers

Did I get all this correct?

I am sure I am missing something, such as how I unlock the bootloader or root the phone (or is that the same thing?). I am also under the impression I basically have to choose a custom ROM that has "Sense" in the title because if I don't, I'm basically hosed outta 4g (and possibly other features). Is this correct?

Please help a stupid newbie! Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks. What does "root will not stick" mean? Since the Thunderbolt gets to have an unlocked bootloader, I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

You reboot and you've lost root. The reason you can have an unlocked bootloader on the Thunderbolt is because an engineering bootloader was leaked. Again, without knowing the specifics, you would get root, swap the bootloader, flash recovery (probably through ROM Manager), then flash a ROM. With the engineering bootloader, root will stick.

Wow, that's pretty lousy for people with phones that won't let you unlock the bootloader. You reboot the phone and what, your custom OS and apps are gone? Or you just can't add new stuff or something?

Does anyone know what the easiest/most current way to unlock the bootloader of the Thunderbolt is?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Godzilla07 posted:

You'd just lose root every time you reboot. Most temporary roots are pretty painless though. You wouldn't be able to use a custom ROM since you wouldn't be able to load a custom recovery in the first place.

I know I'm gonna sound like some lazy schmuck who didn't do his research (I have 20 XDA tabs opened right now trying to take it all in) but what exactly is the point of rooting if you can't load a custom ROM? I thought the whole point of rooting was to get rid of all the bloat or use ROMs you aren't supposed to?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks a lot for the clarification. Makes perfect sense, now. :)

I guess the only thing is that supposedly Thunderbolt is getting 2.3 in like 3 days, so it would be pretty stupid for me to root, unlock, and flash now, correct? Because in the WinMo 6.5 days, flashing your phone was a loving nightmare. New version of MightyROM updated 2 days after you installed it? Hope you like wiping your phone clean and reinstalling every piece of software again.

Unless of course there's actually an "update ROM" button, which would be amazing, but I doubt it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you x1000. I guess the only thing I would like to know is if anyone has a custom ROM for the Thunderbolt they prefer? I see BAMF having the most replies on XDA, but I'm not sure if that means anything. In my WinMo 6.x days, there would be like 9 different guys working on custom ROMs for any given phone, and it was near impossible to tell which was best.

(Best for me of course being no bloat-ware, no flashy RAM-hogging fancy cloud graphics on my home screen, good battery life, and undetectable wifi tethering).

Edit: And what's all this "I have MR1/MR2" stuff I keep reading about?.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You folks are most helpful.

I am stuck between picking Das BAMF, BAMF Sense 3.0 RC3, and BAMF Remix v1.8. I've read their respective threads but can't for the life of me figure out what the hell their differences are (except it seems that BAMF Remix v1.8 removed most Sense stuff without breaking anything I think??) and I'd like to know which ROM you fine folks would recommend for a Thunderbolt user like myself.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

McJesus posted:

I just flashed Bamf remixv1.8 several days ago and like it so far. I didnt have to flash a new radio (I still have stock) so that was a big plus for me. Everything seems to work and battery life has improved. I was using cubed 1.2.3 but battery life sucked and stereo bluetooth didn't work.

Thanks. Going to take your advice and use Remix. I guess because it isn't using Gingerbread is the reason you don't need to change the radio. Supposedly the MR2 radio is good, but I would like to "officially" get it rather than cram it in there. I know GB should be out for this phone soon from Verizon, but I like waiting for the official ones to come out before downloading hacked variations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused about CM7 on the Thunderbolt? I thought for some reason there is no AOSP ROM for the Thunderbolt, and thus there is no CM7. Or I should say there is a CM7 for the Thunderbolt, but it's glitchy and broken because they need to keep Sense on there somewhat. Is this right?

Regardless, I'm interested in getting dasBAMF off my phone because I keep losing my 4g/3g signal like crazy and I'm reading it's from BAMF. Only thing that worries me is if I try another ROM, supposedly they have to support whichever radio I have on my phone or I'm hosed. 1, I don't know which radio I have on my phone. 2, I have no idea how the hell to flash a radio. I'd like to go to MR2 or MR2.5 but I don't even know what's the difference between them. I'm really confused here, so any help would be fantabulous.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalMocking posted:

I have 0 problems with my radio running bamf. Which radio flash you use depends on which bamf you're running. I'm running their stock 2.1 with MR2 and haven't had a single issue with drops or 3g/4g swaps since I did it a month ago.

Thanks. I read a lot of people complaining about the version of dasBAMF I'm using but we're all on MR1; that's probably why.

HondaCivet posted:

I think that may have been true when the phone came out but it's had CM7 and at least one other AOSP ROM for awhile. CM7 is available and it's still in a "testing" phase but I loaded it last night and it's loving fantastic, haven't run into any bugs of my own yet.

Flashing the radio is pretty easy actually. Here is a thread on some Thunderbolt forums that I found really really useful. There's a video showing you how to flash the radio.

If I were you I'd try flashing the radio to whatever version is compatible with the BAMF you are using. There are Froyo and Gingerbread versions of BAMF, try to figure out which one you have. Froyo versions need the MR1 radio, GB needs MR2 or MR2.5. If you can't figure out which one you have then just start over by picking a version, flashing its radio and then flashing the right ROM.

Thanks a lot. I think I will give CM7 a try. I got scared by the warnings of "data and cellular connection issues".

What's the best way to back up all my apps and hopefully my settings and stuff? Or can I basically kiss settings goodbye?

Also what the hell is a kernel and why do I have to flash that now too?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 15, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

DigitalMocking posted:

Kernel flashing is pretty easy, just download the zip and flash it in clockwork recovery.

Right, I just don't know what a kernel is, how it's different than a ROM, and if I need to flash one or not.

Also I looked all over, I don't see nightlies for the Thunderbolt anywhere? Latest one is from 8 days ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sizzlechest posted:

I miss the battery monitor in the status bar in Cyanogen. Is there an add on?

I'd like to know this, too. I have one there but it goes away when it's charging, so I have to unplug the drat phone to know what the percentage is.

Also, props on the Jerky Boys username :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am still not sure what a kernel is or does? If I flash CM7 to my Thunderbolt, does that "include" a kernel?

Also, I am about to flash CM7. Do I do the radio first, or the ROM first?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I flashed CM7 onto my phone...and there's no Android Market on there. I know this thing is meant to be bare bones but is it just me or is this going a bit too far?

Anyway, I Googled the issue and I found two different Android Market APKs and neither worked. One closes as soon as I click it, and the other closes as soon as it asks me if I want to add my account to it.

Please someone help me figure this out before I leave for a huge trip for tomorrow :ohdear:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, thanks so much. I wonder why the other BAMF ROM I was using had it then? I guess they just fly under the radar or something?

Sorry for asking dumb questions; I'm really new to android and the CM7 OP made brief mention of something called gapps without even a link or an explanation of what it was.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ExcessBLarg! posted:

ROMs typically don't have licenses to redistribute all the proprietary stuff they come with. Every once in a while there's a story about xda getting a C&D or something, but for the most part it's overlooked.

CyanogenMod however, got a C&D from Google early on. But pretty quickly they worked out an arrangement where the Google licensed apps could be distributed in a separate package. Which is for the better anyways, so that there's clear separation between open source and proprietary components, and so that it's clear that there's no issues with redistribution of the ROMs themselves.

Thanks a lot. I am really enjoying CM7 so far, even though it's supposedly in beta mode on the Thunderbolt. Their thread stated a bug is "very slow to get GPS lock". No idea what they're talking about, it actually seemed way faster. It's also really cool that when I open up Navigation it automatically turns the GPS on. With the old ROM I was using, you'd have to remember to turn it on first.

I was also amazed when I flashed the new ROM and installed the Market, it just started downloading all my apps again and installing them. Really awesome.

Only thing I really miss from Sense was when I'd click on contacts, a big phone pad would come up, making it super easy to fly through my contacts. Now I have to hit search, then start typing with a tiny keyboard. Meh, I'll live.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I've rooted my Thunderbolt and already installed CM7. However, I am about to try a new kernel. I just flash the kernel, right? Do I have to do any wiping? I just do this in recovery mode, the same way I'd flash a ROM?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Casao posted:

Wipe Cache, Dalvik Cache and Battery Stats for maximum stability. And yes, just flash it in recovery mode like a normal rom.

Thanks, for some reason I thought you're supposed to flash the ROM from Bootloader.

Edit: Wait, don't I flash the ROM from the bootloader? I just did it from recovery mode and I'm assuming it worked?

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 27, 2011

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I know this is a crazy long shot, but I'm hoping there's a fix for it.

The only problem I am having with CM7 on my Thunderbolt is that no matter what the hell I plug into a headphone jack, even if it's Gameboy headphones from 1989, it thinks I am plugging in something with a microphone (you can even see a little microphone icon on top). This makes it impossible to answer the phone while listening to Pandora in my car.

Searching, it seems a lot of people complained about this in the respective forum over at XDA, but they pretty much ignored it and released an update not fixing it. Is there any hackneyed way I can go about fixing it myself?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If I flash a kernel, and then flash a ROM, is that first kernel still "active"? Or does flashing a new ROM now put that ROM's kernel on it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anybody know if we can expect Xposed/Gravitybox to work with Nougat any time soon? I updated to Nougat on my 5x and for some reason didn't realize Xposed will not work with it. There seems to be nobody asking at xda-developers (I am guessing it being asked is sacrilegious). If it's something that might be released within a month or so I can wait but if it's going to be like 6 months or something I might have to switch back to Marshmallow.

Though I absolutely love the new notifications and the way you can "ungroup" them. No more Google Keep reminders all being bunched together which made it impossible to use if you ever had more than 1 reminder.

Anyway is the Xposed team even working on getting it to work with Nougat or should I just assume it will be until 2017 sometime? They don't mention it anywhere.

dpbjinc posted:

Trip Report: I just updated a Nexus 5X to Android 7, rooted with the open-source Superuser, and relocked the bootloader. The device boots correctly with the yellow warning as before. (The boot.img is signed with the buildbot's key.)

For whatever reason, I did not need to re-root *or* relock the bootloader.

i did use FlashFire, though. Maybe that had something to do with it? It's really cool because it detected that my phone downloaded the OTA and it flashed it for me while keeping TWRP, root, and the unlocked bootloader. I highly recommend it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone who is rooted I just wanted to let you know XPosed started working on Oreo as of about a month ago. And yesterday, GravityBox finally got ported to Oreo. This is 80% of the reason why I am rooted.

If you want to be convinced, here are some of the tweaks I use in GravityBox:

-Slide finger across the status bar to adjust brightness (I am constantly messing with brightness because I never like how auto brightness operates, and not having to block what I am looking at to adjust it is a godsend)

-Move cursor in text field entry left and right using volume keys. Anyone who has ever made a typo knows how annoying it is trying to go back to the middle of some word in a sentence and meticulously trying to get the cursor to be in the exact spot you want is impossible. Using this is like having a d-pad again

-Advanced options in power menu. Hold the power button as usual except now you are given the options of taking screen shots, quick reboot, rebooting to recovery, rebooting to bootloader, etc.

-All notifications automatically expanded (no need to click a tiny down arrow to read them)

-Hold back to force kill foreground app. Google Maps annoys me how there's no real exit button; you click back to stop navigation but it still runs. Holding the back button now force exits it.

-Tap back twice very quickly to enable/disable auto rotate

-All volume sliders shown (instead of just 1)

-Custom notification LED colors depending on contact and what kind of notification

-Repeat notification alerts for specific apps (for example, a text message) every X amount of minutes if you don't respond to it

-Day of the week in the status bar (this is a huge one for me because I work rotating shifts and having it right there all the time lets me know what day it is)

There's a million more tweaks GravityBox allows; I just named the ones I particularly love. I really recommend it and best of all, these are tweaks to the systemUI so these are not extra apps installed to your phone meaning there is zero extra ram usage and zero extra battery use because of them.

Anyway like I said gravitybox is 80% of why I refuse to buy a phone that can't be rooted so I figured someone here might be as excited as me that it finally got ported to Oreo.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 25, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

These are all sort of things that I liked about Pure Nexus on my Nexus 6P.

Stock Android + stuff thats already in android, but disabled most of the time for whatever the hell reason.

Question, though, does it have the tweak to swipe the bottom bar to shrink the screen for one handed mode?

Also what about data transfer speeds and arrows in the status bar?

Just the 2 things I like that are never in stock android it seems. Living with crappy internet its nice to see actual numbers.

For the one handed mode, yes you can do this: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/move-any-screen-freely-for-easier-one-handed-use-android-0161610/

You can even change Niwatori to just be the "One Handed Mode" app in the Play Store.

And yes, the data transfer speeds and download % and all that is a native option in GravityBox.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sweet, Unfortunately Xposed looks to still break SafetyNet. Nuts.

Dammit Beans, get Pure Nexus cooking again. :argh:

You have 2 P2XL's to work with even.

You can use Magisk to "hide" apps from detecting root. It works for things like Samsung Pay for me. Android Pay is the only thing that seems impossible to unblock.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I use my phone for hours per day and whip out a credit card for four seconds three times a week so I just learned to live without Android Pay. It's a tradeoff but an easy decision for me personally.

edit: Also I love using Samsung Pay because I get notifications every single time any charge is made on any of my credit cards. Very nice way to know if my credit card is ever stolen.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 26, 2018

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
The ironic thing is I have a Pixel and the first thing I did was get rid of the Pixel launcher and installed Nova.

What specifically did you like about it? Not being facetious, I'm just wondering if I am missing something.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Nope. I've never even tagged my mp3s. I just double click the ones I want to listen to

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nocal posted:

People rooting their androids still using winamp. I'd say that checks out.

Lol sorry if blocking ads in YouTube, on any and all websites, in apps, playing YouTube with my screen off, and tethering without a 10gb limit makes me a sperg. Then sperg me up, I say!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
BRB some anonymous internet posters don't find these features useful, going to revert back to not using them

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Hey why can I only tether at 512kbps, sned he;lp

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

Why would you need root for this?

I don't watch YouTube Red so I'd be paying $10 a month for the privilege of turning my screen off

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Guillermus posted:

I mean, at least a dead pc app brought some life to the thread also the unread bug wich already killed a bunch of games threads (bloodborne one eating posts was kind of amusing).

I think the thread is dead because people don't wanna hear "lol" and "you don't need to do this any more" when asking root questions.

Flashing roms is pretty ridiculous (and hasn't been necessary since the Thunderbolt days) but there's plenty of good reasons to root.

Try and Root; It's Quite a Hoot!™

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

Wait I thought you were interested in blocking ads in YouTube which Red would also remove?

Were you lying then or lying now?

Yes

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nimper posted:

You know it also gets you Google Play Music Unlimited subscription right? But maybe a Winamp user doesn't exactly need that...

I don't listen to music on YouTube

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Tunga posted:

This is driving me crazy, I try to read the unread post in this thread every day now.

It has something to do with a mod deleting their own post in a thread or something. It causes this glitch somehow

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

r0ck0 posted:

I rooted my verizon Pixel 2 just so I could use adaway. Running Magisk and android pay works and passing safety net checks. Root is useful. Would you use a computer if you didn't have admin privileges? Nerds.

Just wait until someone calls you an entitled thief for blocking ads.

I always had problems getting Magisk to work. I mean it works but it's never simple for me. I always end up needing to use command prompts and stuff. I'm on the original Pixel. Do you just download the magisk apk and then install it from inside that and you're all done?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I have a WileyFox Spark X which came with CyanogenOS. I made the mistake of rooting it and putting CynagenMod on it, which was the cool thing to do at the time, as it was better. Those guys closed shop shortly after. Now I am trying to go back to the original ROM, which I found here, hoping to use the updater that will put Android Nougat on it. Yes, it is a complicated story. Everything went well until I got these messages:

code:
Now send the packages you want to apply to the device with "adb sideload <filename>"...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E: failed to verify whole-file signature
E: signature verification failed
Restarting adbd...
Installation aborted.
So it can't verify the package. First I checked the image with 7zip, which told me the archive was okay. Then I put it on a memory card and tried to apply it, but failed, then I sideloaded it from my PC but it failed with the same message. Now I'm going back to the abandoned CyanogenMod. Googling didn't help much. There does not seem to be a recent alternative (Lineage does not support this device). If there is anything you think could help, please let me know. Thank you.

e: Couldn't I simply update with the new Nougat ROM? Couldn't find this so far.

It might sound ridiculous but those errors happened to me a lot and the following always fixed it:

Try a fresh boot of your pc. Being low on ram can cause this

Try a different USB port and a different USB cable

Make sure you download the newest adb package for your pc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Luceo posted:

Speaking of old-rear end phones, I have a Nexus 6 running 7.1.1. While waiting for the Pixel 3 to come out to replace it, does anyone have a recommendation for a good Oreo ROM, as close to stock as possible, to try on it? I'd like to get something with more recent security updates than last October.

I stick with stock these days but put LineageOS on my old nexus 5x and I thought it was fantastic. Auto updates itself too, no need to keep flashing updates.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EVIL Gibson posted:

I have a Samsung S5 from Verizon with unlockable bootloader that I want to use for penetration testing of applications with Frida (which is super useful testing it out on AVD https://www.frida.re/docs/android/) but it needs unrestricted root. I was able to get it to root through this guide (https://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-galaxy-s5/general/testers-required-easier-root-method-t3561529/post71202995#post71202995) but I found that SELinux is super hard to turn off through terminal. XDA in general is confusing but it looks like if I install any ROM without the stock kernel, it will prevent that SELinux junk.

I will probably take it to another ROM so I don't get bothered with OTA updates, but what is the best way to do this ?

You can just root and use elementalx to replace the stock kernel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

LastInLine & Uncle at Nintendo, thank you for your answers. I eventually bricked the thing by choosing the wrong ROM when installing TWRP or something (only shows logo now, not able to boot into anything). I can't even remember what exactly went wrong and frankly I am glad I'm getting rid of that thing. I won't try and fiddle with ROMs for a long time now.

That happens to me sometimes too. Just flash the stock full firmware available from the manufacturer. You just messed up your boot.img is all so if you want you can just flash just the boot.img file and you should be good. fastboot flash boot boot.img