Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A quick googling found this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192818

It has drivers coupled with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
That's weird, my CM10.1 install has all the features.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
FYI you don't ever need to manually wipe /system.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I thought that too but when I went to CM10 from stock I didn't do it carried over all of my system data even though in the past it didn't. And it wasn't just stuff Google backs up either, it was all of it even with just a data wipe. I had all the stock system apps like the launcher and poo poo and it shocked me because yeah, I've never had to wipe /system either.

That must have been some fluke then, because I've flashed probably hundreds of different ROMs since the G1 days and never once manually formatted /system. Knowing Android, I'm not surprised at all something weird like that happened to you though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I can't get estrongs to do any root stuff anymore either. I gave up and switched.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah cm 10.1 on my Verizon gnex has been pretty solid lately.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Milky_Sauce posted:

I did want to get rid of this MotoBlur garbage

Install a new launcher, that'll take care of 99% of it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Guillermus posted:

I don't want them to show on my apps on the store so I can happily enable auto update when connected to WiFi. So you're right, I need to root. Any guide or recommendation for a stock S4?

If you disable them they won't show up anywhere.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
A dirty flash involves not wiping /data. Dalvik and cache are auto wiped on flashing cm updates.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

ScarletBrother posted:

I hate to sound like a condescending rear end in a top hat but if you can't follow directions and root your own phone, you probably don't need to be rooted in the first place.

This guy's right, if you can't understand some adb commands and poo poo you probably shouldn't be rooted.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

UncleGuito posted:

What's the proper way to backup & restore the phone with Titanium when clean flashing? I've always used nandroid and just restored data-only after each flash, but I heard this is pretty much the same as dirty flashing.

I checked Titanium but was confused what to backup and what to select when restoring.

That literally is dirty flashing. Use a batch backup in tibu to back up all user apps and data then restore those on a fresh install.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

It's certainly not the same as dirty flashing if you're just restoring app data and not system data but I'm not sure exactly how extracting from a nandroid works (i.e. if it gives you the choice).

Restoring the data partition from a nandroid would restore system app data to, wouldn't it?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I've been running CleanROM on my Verizon GS3 with a theme that makes it look like AOSP. Solves 99% of my problems with touchwiz, but it is stuck on 4.1.2. Still, running stock gives me the best stability and the touchwiz camera is fantastic.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

I don't think I could ever move to the GP edition of Android on my HTC One - you lose so much goodness in the camera.

That's one of the biggest reasons I stuck with touchwiz on my GS3, that and stability.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or schedule a nightly Titanium Backup of user apps, then it's not too painful to wipe and start over.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rotaryfun posted:

I want to put a none stock rom on my s3 but I really don't want to give up my solid 4G connection or stop my camera from working.

Is there a stable/complete rom for the verizon s3 that the camera works and the signal works?

CleanROM is really good, it's stock but not as lovely, you can flash a theme that makes it look just like AOSP and retains all the features of the phone.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

hooah posted:

I love having the touch version of a recovery, because when I used CWM, it almost always moved two to four items at a time when I hit a volume key instead of just one. Infuriating.

Yeah touch recovery is about a hundred times faster to do anything.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

UncleGuito posted:

It's been pretty terrible for me. GPS fails to lock on half the time and I've had tons of random reboots and crashes for the camera.

Speaking of which, what's the proper way to restore a nandroid backup? I made one prior to updating to 10.2 but want to roll back. Do I wipe system & data first and then restore or is there a better method?

Nandroid will overwrite all the partitions so you don't have to wipe.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Well there's also the fact that several of their past phones have had major hardware and software issues, which extended to the Nexus devices even.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

I don't the answer but I'm curious how CM handles menu if it hides the overflow? Do apps that need the overflow just not have it? I understand this app doesn't need it but forces it (because the developer didn't care) but some old apps do need it and don't have an action bar. What happens in that case?

The hardware buttons are the worst thing about the One. It'd be close to perfect without them.

I know on the MAXX you can disable the overflow menu button on stock and it rebinds to long press app switcher I believe, it tells you which one.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

And like magic, it's gone after 3 reboots caused by launcher crashes. Yay Android :)

I swear, the moment my contract is up I'm just buying a Moto X, getting a prepaid sim, and sticking with the stock rom + Xposed/Gravitybox. Custom roms just aren't worth the hassle anymore. I got into the habit because my first phone was an HTC g2 and the stock gingerbread rom blew dicks and they never updated it past that.

I haven't even bothered rooting my MAXX. The stock software does everything I could want it to and the battery lasts so long I don't bother loving with radios and disabling things on the fly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

Maybe it has something to do with ad blocking? There was recently some drama about a dev whose app would request root permission, then wipe the user's hosts file so it could display ads.

This is hilariously awesome, I don't care what anyone says.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

Personally I only use root for AdAway, Titanium and Xposed. I'd love to not need it anymore though.

You really don't, I never even bothered with my MAXX and couldn't be happier I don't have to play phone janitor ever again. It just works.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

I really do, because YouTube ads.

Sorry your free service requires a way to make money. You could not use youtube if you have a problem with them using ads to generate revenue to provide you with free content.

Bobert51 posted:

Having Blur on my old Moto X drove me up the wall. I assume it's improved significantly since then? I'm currently running CM11 on an S3 on Verizon, and although it works well, I'd be perfectly happy not to be chasing nightlies around and trying to troubleshoot bugs and to have a working HCE so I could use Wallet again.

The Moto X has stock Android, there is no Blur. Well, there's 'Blur' which is their custom launcher and a few apps, but everything else is stock, look and feel. If you mean the Droid X, then yes, it's a whole different ballgame.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure that build.prop edit is a placebo and there isn't much you can do to fix that ancient lovely phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Mogomra posted:

Is there a mostly AOSP rom for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3? More AOSP than Cyanogenmod.

There was a nice touch wiz based stable ROM I used on my s3 that you could skin to be completely aosp looking and then use all the Google apps from the store and you got a close to aosp stable experience with the couple nice touch wiz features like their way better camera. CleanROM I believe it's called.