Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Cross-post from the electronic music thread since no one has responded:

Ok, so I finally have assembled a track that I would like some feedback on. A couple notes on this:

-Style is probably closest to House/Deep House
-The track is not finished, I cut it off at 4:00 for this demo but there is probably a minute and half left I want to finish it with
-Also planning to add a few elements to make it more interesting (lead after the drop, some random fx)
-The arrangement is relatively simple, I was really trying to focus on learning and applying production techniques
-Mastering is very minimal

I really appreciate anyone who takes the time to listen and anyone who provides notes. This is the first thing I have ever felt comfortable sharing so I look forward to getting outside feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/driftwalk-wip/s-9QpUI

Edit: Fixed Link

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Sounds like a decent clean mix to me so far, nothing really stood out to me to give criticism on except that it seemed to be lacking some of the exact elements you said you are planning on adding later. I guess one small thing is that my ears expected to hear some ducking compression after the drop. Maybe that's something that gets added later, but it's so ubiquitous in tracks like this these days that it was kind of noticeable that I didn't get it.

I'd say it's off to a good start, I'd encourage you to finish it and post the more finished product for more detailed feedback.

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and provide feedback, it is much appreciated. For your comment regarding expecting some ducking compression after the drop, was there a particular element that you thought wasn't ducking quite enough when the kick hits? I sidechained most of the tracks to the Kick, but adjusted the ratio & threshold accordingly for each track so some (like the crash and reverse crash) are very obviously ducking where others (like the pads) duck just enough to let the kick punch through. I will experiment with adjusting the threshold on the sidechain compressor for the pads track (i think that's probably what you are referring to as not ducking much) and see what works.

My wife actually wrote some lyrics for this track that I think are perfect. Now its just a matter of getting her confident enough to record them for me (she has a great voice but doesn't sing as often as she used to). A nice bottle of wine should do the trick.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for the feedback dude. I wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction in terms of mixing those few elements correctly. Slowly trying to add more interesting complexity to fill it out.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Eric Danger posted:

I think you may be trying a little too hard with the sidechain compression. When you have a four-to-the-floor beat like that, there's no real penalty for just ducking the entire mix to the kick drum. With a short (~50 ms) release, any worthwhile compressor can let your kick be heard without "pumping". You can even use a multiband compressor to compress let's say just the frequencies below 2KHz. If you check out my soundcloud, the track "Opus 666", I did exactly that with a 909 kick. It doesn't have as much treble "presence" as the drum in your track; it's more of a boom than a thump.

Thanks a lot for the feedback. I actually went back and started tweaking with the compression settings a bit to get them to play a little more together. Is there a particular part that is sidechained too much or is it more general for the whole track. I focused on tweaking the crashes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Cross-posting from the making electronic music thread:

I finished my first song ever last night and man, it feels really good. I wrote the whole thing in one night and the second night was mostly spent filling it out and mixing/mastering. It really showed me how far I have come in that I was able to take an idea from its infancy and see it through to completion in a very reasonable amount of time.

It's definitely a dance/electronic track but isn't your typical 4 to the floor beat. As always, any feedback is appreciated and most importantly, I hope there are some of you that enjoy it!

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/hayes-valley

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoke Lee posted:

Finished another synthwave track I had sitting unfinished for a while.

https://soundcloud.com/spokelee/gameday

I'm really digging this, super cool atmosphere and I totally get the "Gameday" concept. Care to share some of your production techniques with those synths? I really love the staticy bass-synth throughout and the others compliment it really well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

us vs also us posted:

posted another new one.. probably going to be posting a lot of new ones as I finish up my album!! :^)

https://soundcloud.com/tinygarbage/arm-twister-1

This is really good stuff. Not my typical style but it sounds great and I'm a sucker for good acoustic guitar work. Your voice instantly made me think of Andrew Wyatt, which is a big compliment!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoke Lee posted:

Did a darkwave-ish trap track for a remix comp I'm really happy with.

https://soundcloud.com/spokelee/nitemare-remix

I loving love this. But then again I like every track you post. You really nailed the synthwave sound and its cool to see it used so well in different genres.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

well why not posted:

https://soundcloud.com/mackinley_d/23-may-2017-160-dubstep

trying to get the grooves right for futurebass/160bpm dubstep. I think it's worked pretty well but I'm unsure how to improve it. Anyone got experience with this sort of genre?

Track not found when I click link.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Great stuff dude!

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I started a Beat Series playlist on SoundCloud where I am uploading rough sketches of the sample-based hip-hop beats I have been making. It is all instrumentals at this point and they have varying degrees of mixing applied (no mastering). Would love some feedback!

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/sets/bradwise-beat-series

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Added some new tracks to my SoundCloud and wanted to repost here to get those sweet Likes and Follows. I mostly make sample-based hip-hop instrumentals and sample from a pretty wide range of source material. Here is a link to two new tracks and my beats playlist.

https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/a-nod-to-pete
https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/rhodes-less-travelled

Playlist
https://soundcloud.com/bradley-freeman-3/sets/bradwise-beat-series

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm going to have someone saying "listen to the kids Brad" in the back of my head for the next week.

Thanks tons, MrSargent.

Hahah, it's actually "listen to the kids, bro" but I think I like your version.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

New track up on soundcloud, this time featuring a talented Canadian rapper on the mic instead of just some hip-hop instrumental beat. Been a lot of fun collaborating with an artist and I have learned a lot since I actually wrote this song. We are working on a bunch more music and I am really excited for what is in store. Going for a classic 90's rap vibe with sample-based production and boom bap drums.

Definitely appreciate any feedback. I handled all of the production, mixing, and mastering.

https://soundcloud.com/osirisj1/betterlatethannever-prod-bradwise

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 8, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Jonny Nox posted:

ohhhhh yes. It's loving good. Samples right on the beat, no clicks. I would maybe add an extra hat on every other bar to add some bounce in. Rather than tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tish go tick tick tick tick tick tick tickaty tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tish

But that's nit-picking by a doofus, so take it as you will.

Could have sworn I responded back already, my bad. Thanks a lot man, I appreciate the support! Hi hats are definitely not a strong suit of mine so I appreciate the feedback. I wrote that song about 8 months ago and have hopefully gotten a little better since then. Should have some new music coming out soon.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

This seemed like the best thread to pose this question/suggestion but I'll probably cross-post so more people see. But it would be cool to expand this thread a bit into "Post your Music" and try to get it stickied with the other threads.Goons have been really supportive of my music and it would be nice to have one place for people to share new songs or projects, as well as their social media accounts. I know asking people to follow/like/comment gets old and is sometimes frowned upon but you would be surprised at how big of a difference it can make in terms of exposure. I'd like to encourage our talented community to support each other and think this could be a good start.

I would be willing to help maintain the OP and consolidate the various musicians along with their social media information so people can reference it to find goon artists and support them. If this is a dumb idea, don't be afraid to let me know haha.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I'll be working on the OP tonight and will hopefully be ready to post the new thread early this week. Kinda depends on how work goes since we are expecting a new project, but it may not start until next week.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

baby puzzle posted:

I think a new thread is a good idea but I’m not sure about digging up any old info. I’d rather just have fresh links.

I'm not going that far back, just wanted to include anything that was posted recently in the soundcloud thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Just a heads up for everyone. We have a Goon Music Megathread in NMD where you can share your band/artist page and post new content. I update the OP with new artists so just post your info there if you would like me to add your info.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880406

A general feedback thread would be really cool. As it is, I see people posting their stuff in a bunch of different threads and would be nice to have one place to go to get feedback.