Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I'm no wizard, but looking at where you want the ball to go and not looking at the ball helps for me when I remember to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

I'm no wizard, but looking at where you want the ball to go and not looking at the ball helps for me when I remember to do it

look at the flippers when you flip

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

To reach true mastery close your eyes completely.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Isn't that a mode in the who's Tommy Pinball Wizard?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

boar guy posted:

look at the flippers when you flip

Yep, this is what I do, or try to. Keeping eye on the ball and not where I'm shooting is still something I'm adjusting to after 2-3 years. It's also sort of mental fatigue? I'm better early in the session but gradually lose the discipline to keep my eye on the ball/flipper all the time.

It's rare I use table art to know when to flip. I have the flipper divided into 5-6 "sections" which correspond to where I want it to go. Using the left flipper as an example:
  • Immediate backhand, like the R shot in Radical or the Greyjoy shot on GoT
  • Almost immediate, like the Super Jackpot ramp in Ghostbusters
  • Just before halfway, halfway, and just after halfway
  • almost to the end (most orbits)
  • off the end (the lock targets on GoT)
  • "oops, almost dropped it" (Woodbury on TWD)
of course this varies table to table but hopefully that makes sense.

I try to think "early" or "late" depending on how the miss happens. But it's frustrating, because I'll often shoot it wrong the exact same way next shot.

Maybe it will all come together. All of a sudden, catches started working this summer and it wasn't something I was deliberately trying to learn. Might just be :corsair: reflexes.

edit: I've also just started to adjust for ball momentum, also. Gotta shoot a little earlier as the ball goes faster. But I don't have a clear framework for how to adjust for shots on the fly. I also probably watch too many really good players on YouTube who just do it every friggin time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCxgUPfVsjc

bort fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 5, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

not gonna lie most players flip too much and you will learn a lot by playing five dollars worth of one-handed games.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

eh, I think I'm past that stage. I deadflip a lot and most of my "moves" are to dampen momentum. I've had to play a fair amount one-handed in tournaments, and played tons of split flipper. Good point, though.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

unknown posted:

Isn't that a mode in the who's Tommy Pinball Wizard?

Yes and it's surprisingly difficult.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

biznatchio posted:

Yes and it's surprisingly difficult.

It puts a fan shaped shield over the flipper area and, yes, it’s a right pain. I believe there was an Easter egg that let you play the whole game that way if you were masochistic and/or rich.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I have a foo fighters pro at my house right now. The game is fun, but I can't hit the ramps to save my loving life. The sweet spot seem to be so far at the end of the flipper I feel like I'm going for orbits, but still somehow am early every time. AHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have the same issue with the ones on location here. (Right ramp at least).

The van ramp is a manageable backhand at least. Backhands are usually a lot safer.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 6, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have the same issue with the ones on location here. (Right ramp at least).

The van ramp is a manageable backhand at least.

yeah, back hand is the only sure thing for me with the left ramp. trying to hit it from the right flipper leads to me banging it against the post and straight down the middle more often than not. same with the captive locked ball shot

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

hyphz posted:

It puts a fan shaped shield over the flipper area and, yes, it’s a right pain. I believe there was an Easter egg that let you play the whole game that way if you were masochistic and/or rich.

There is. If you hold down the Extra Ball button when starting a game, the shroud will be out for the entire game. It doesn't boost your scoring like it does during the mode when the shroud normally comes out, so it's purely an "I like pain" thing.

I've owned Tommy for 26 years, and in all that time I think I've only been tempted to play a game like that once; not too long after I got it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Cool. I used to love that machine. Played the heck out of it when it was in the Norfolk arcades and it was what told me that there was actually cool music in Tommy other than Pinball Wizard. Never got the whole “hey let’s put the modes on a Union Jack” thing though.

(I also remember at that age being haunted by the freaky endgame animation that looks like Tommy being trapped inside a spinning pinball while a weird low version of Listening To You plays.)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 9, 2024

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I wonder who the hell has the IP rights to RollerGames now. Surely can't be ST:TNG money.

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

xarph posted:

I wonder who the hell has the IP rights to RollerGames now. Surely can't be ST:TNG money.

Would they also need the rights to all the brands that were sponsors? I think A&W Root Beer is one of them.

edit: Mug, Pepsi, Slice, GamePlan, Thermos, and some logo I can't recognize

AzureFlame fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 9, 2024

bort
Mar 13, 2003

/\ /\ /\ edit: ShareData (manufacturers of fine video game cartridges)

BOP

bort fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 9, 2024

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
I swear even though I feel like I've seen every pinball machine that exists, every couple of weeks I discover one I've never heard of

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

AzureFlame posted:

Would they also need the rights to all the brands that were sponsors? I think A&W Root Beer is one of them.

edit: Mug, Pepsi, Slice, GamePlan, Thermos, and some logo I can't recognize

If Pinball Arcade was able to change the dog from World Cup Soccer for licensing reasons, Zen could easily substitute in some off-brand graphics for Rollergames. It's not like Pepsi//Thermos/etc has any callouts or anything if I recall correctly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

They also stripped some secondary sponsors out of no fear.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pinball Arcade should just make wierd 80s tables like Hadbody and stuff. Just go full odd tables.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

the weird stuff is most of what i play in pb arcade, anyway, i would absolutely buy more weird mid-range 80s tables if the game was still some kind of going concern

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The entire PFX catalog is on sale right now on Steam. If you already have the Williams titles from PFX3, you can pick a bundle discount and its pretty cheap.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Clouseau posted:

The entire PFX catalog is on sale right now on Steam. If you already have the Williams titles from PFX3, you can pick a bundle discount and its pretty cheap.

I might have to finally pick up the indianna jones table

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Clouseau posted:

Thanks! That’s the price point that brought me back. Shame there are tables that aren’t in “legacy packs” that I own.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Love when a bulb you need to change is under a flipper plate.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/CateMartel/status/1760711946741916000

Hell yeah I hit the Babbitt Murder 4x bonus during MAGA multiball

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That’s the ugliest vpin setup I’ve seen in a while

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Snacksmaniac posted:

That’s the ugliest vpin setup I’ve seen in a while

Good news, you can make it and several others your own!

https://freedomdawg.com/
https://freedomdawg.com/j6insurrection_pinball.html

quote:

RULES
Work through each Rally mode:
  • Stop the Steal
  • Fake News
  • Peaceful Protest
  • It’s a Setup
  • Babbitt Murder
  • Have Faith
  • Political Prisoners
Earn bonuses for Free Speech and Don’t Tread on Me. Aim to defeat Voter Fraud, Covid Lockdowns and the DC Gulag.

• Camera: Shoot events using the launch button.
  • Multi-ball: Collect States to light multi-ball. Shoot left ramp or the Capitol to start. Shoot ramps for Freedom jackpots.
  • Gulag: Bumpers build up Prisoner Justice points. Right return lane lights Rally hole to collect.
  • State Targets: Complete all State targets to advance the Rally objectives. Shoot Capitol to collect award.
  • Rally Modes: Outer loops light Rally hole. Shooting Rally when lit awards flashing Rally Mode.
  • Influencer: Watch display & select instant Follower points (left flipper) or load Camera (right) to shoot flashing State targets.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Thank you and curse you for posting the links. I’m going to have to try it now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Thank you and curse you for posting the links. I’m going to have to try it now.

WWG1WGA!

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

This is so cursed.

Is there a grand wizard mode? What about the secret antifa multi ball?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I think under reported here is that its a straight theft of the Dirty Harry table.

EDIT: in "fairness" he admits it on his website.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Clouseau fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 23, 2024

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I downloaded and played it and its somehow worse than i expected it to be

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

I downloaded and played it and its somehow worse than i expected it to be

I'm on my way over.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man if you are gonna rip off a pinball table you might as well copy one that's actually decent lol. Dirty Harry is a pretty mediocre one to emulate.

though in terms of worst machine I've ever played, I ventured out to a new pinball place in Long Island and they had the WWE game---genuinely loving abysmal, just amazingly bad.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

That 1/6 table has the laziest playfield design I've ever seen. With the wealth of weird Trump/MAGA memes they decided to just slap 5 random pictures from google image search onto a plain grey background.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It’s so bad. The callouts and dmd graphics are incoherent.
I had a Dirty Harry and liked it but I was still lost.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I played the 90’s The Shadow movie tie-in for the first time this weekend, fun table, very much like the two gems I never see anymore, Johnny Mnomic, and Dracula. The bouncy thing at the top is an entirely different game, not a smaller table, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Nudge magazine, a pinball lifestyle magazine :shrug:, has a 3 part article about Python Anghelo. It's crazy.

Part 1: https://www.nudgepinball.com/articles/the-unauthorized-hagiography-of-python-anghelo
Part 2: https://www.nudgepinball.com/articles/cocaine-cats-pinball-sex-and-big-guns-part-ii-of-the-unauthorized-hagiography-of-python-anghelonbsp
Part 3: https://www.nudgepinball.com/articles/part-iii-of-the-unauthorized-hagiography-of-python-anghelo-yes-the-part-with-the-pinball-sex

and it links to Pythons World video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up03zouCIvI

That man was out there.