Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

vertiginominal posted:

A drafting mulligan question:

I drafted B/G infect. Game 1, my opening hand had 2 forests and 0 swamps, but with 1 swamp I could have played all my spells, so I kept it, but didn't get a swamp the rest of the game and lost.

Game 2, my opening hand had 2 swamps and 0 forests; reacting to the last game, I mulliganed, got a 0-land hand, then got a 4-swamp hand (and lost).

What is the actual correct policy for a 2-swamp or 2-forest hand in this case (assuming a couple spells are playable with those 2 lands)?

edit: my deck has 8 swamps and 9 forests.

If you can't cast any of the spells in your hand, it's usually a good idea to mulligan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

It would be cool if that program actually could replicate print runs. It would also be cool if I could open Carnifex Demon, Massacre Wurm, and double Bone Hoard in real life.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

So in this M11 draft I just had a guy sacrifice a creature to Bloodthrone Vampire when I blocked it with my Cudgel Troll, then Call to Mind a Lightning Bolt to kill it. Somehow I feel I came out ahead.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Still lost that game hell yeah.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

My LGS holds two-headed giant sealed events once in a while, and the first one I was able to play in was on Saturday. Both my and my friend's partner wound up not being able to go, so we decided to partner up. It was "standard sealed," which meant we got 1 pack of everything currently in standard, so it was a little weird.

Our original plan was to open some ridiculous bomb rares and stomp people, but we wound up getting Conundrum Sphinx, Personal Sanctuary, Contested War Zone, Omnath, Xenograft, Blackcleave Cliffs, Conqueror's Pledge, and Hedron Matrix. Luckily our blue was insane and we had a lot of black removal, plus some easily splashable red, so we built GW bears and UBr removal.

Here's what I was playing:

Aether Adept
Sky-Eel School
Conundrum Sphinx
Spined Thopter
Master Thief
Quag Vampires
Enclave Elite
Sea Gate Oracle
Sky Ruin Drake

Deathmark
Negate
Vapor Snag
Volt Charge
Preordain
Grim Affliction
Last Kiss
Burst Lightning
Steel Sabotage
Divination
Domesticate
Mind Control
Spell Contortion
Instill Infection

9 Island
5 Swamp
Evolving Wilds
Blackcleave Cliffs

Friend's deck:

Copper Myr
Maul Splicer
Oran-Rief Recluse
Bellowing Tangleworm
Kor Outfitter
Leonin Skyhunter
Turntimber Basilisk
Gnarlid Pack
Palladium Myr
Death-Hood Cobra
Vastwood Gorger
Kozilek's Predator
Suture Priest
Blinding Souleater
Omnath,Locus of Mana
Fledgling Griffin

Beast Within
Piston Sledge
Hedron Matrix
Plummet
Strandwalker
Titanic Growth
Conqueror's Pledge
Whispersilk Cloak
Shrine of Loyal Legions

8 Plains
7 Forest
Greypelt Refuge

Highlights included proliferating multikicker guys, multikicker guys being unblockable 90% of the time, stealing a Lux Cannon with Master Thief, Whispersilk Cloak on Omnath, triple kicked Spell Contortion on a lethal Sins of the Past, and playing with two Mind Control effects.

We battled through the swiss rounds, and split prize packs in top 8 but played for the title (winners of 2hg evens get their names on a plaque on the wall). We wound up winning it all, after feeling like we were totally screwed at various points in every game but the finals. So now I have my name on the plaque, my friend has his up there twice, and we opened a foil Spellskite. It was a pretty good day.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

blitzkreig.bmp posted:

To clarify, it was against sever the bloodline which probably is the right pick. Not saying mayor is bad, sever is just better.

Edit: In another draft I just made a crucial error.

I'm at 9 life, opp is at 14

My side: Thraben Sentry, Rage Thrower, Voiceless Spirit

Opp side: Skaab Goliath, Kessig Wolf

Opp attacks with both, I block wolf with spirit and skaab with sentry. I was obviously under the impression that I couldn't kill the goliath so I went with the chumps in an effort to try and race with the rage thrower. Of course after first strike damage sentry flips and I realize that the goliath could've been dead . gently caress.

To be fair, if I was your opponent and you blocked goliath with sentry and thrower, I would probably just not give wolf first strike. That way you'd be left with a voiceless spirit against a goliath.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Nemico posted:

Southern Magic players are the funniest. I live in Alberta, and I have a friend we call Alabama Dave, for obvious reasons. They're not "creatures," they're "critters," and when he bounces something, he says "put that guy up." It's the best.

How many critters y'all got over there?
Six.
Put that guy up, take three.

We had this huge redneck dude that used to play at the LGS. He always played RDW so of course we called him Redneck Wins. When he actually heard us say it he yelled "Y'all call me Redneck Wins!? THAT'S AWESOME!"

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

whydirt posted:

Another cube question. How many cards are needed to make milling a viable archtype, assuming I'm making a standard sized cube of 360? Here are the cards I have at the moment due to starting with all the flashback cards plus a few artifacts I threw in for synergy:

Blue
Chill of Foreboding
Dream Twist
Increasing Confusion
Quiet Speculation (probably not great to use on your opponent, but is technically possible)

Black
Sadistic Sacrament (would require to go full U/B)

Artifact
Cellar Door (I've got Cemetary Reaper so it technically works with at least two decks, and it might be too durdly regardless)
Jester's Cap (probably too durdly again if there's no mill to build around)

I feel like since all the colors are going to have heavy access to flashback that it's just not worth the hassle of trying to make mill a viable primary strategy, since I'd likely need to add more cards to make it happen and I am still in the process of making cuts to trim the list down to 360.

Thoughts?

Don't put in Increasing Confusion. It's pretty much agreed by now that Jace, Memory Adept is too stupid to put in cubes and my friends who have cubes think that Increasing Confusion is better. It doesn't really pull you into mill as much as it gives you a card that just mills out your opponent by itself late game.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Hell yeah science chat with OM and rinski.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Phiberoptik posted:

Help!

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qs2d6b.png
(How do I link without breaking tables?)

Should I be splashing the white?

Probably not. Serra Angel will be very hard to cast since she costs WW.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

I don't know about making it a draftable archetype, but you should consider Wrench Mind and Cry of Contrition as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

So my friend lived the dream in his last draft:

Apparently there's an actual Psychic Spiral deck where you draft Chronic Floodings and Codex Shredders, mill yourself until you get Spiral in your yard, Codex Shredder it back, and kill them.