Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
You guys make me all jealous. I'm in Edmonton, AB and have to pay Telus loving $120/month for 50/10/unlimited. Can we just catch up with the rest of the world on internet speeds and pricing? Please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Wish I could get internet like that in Alberta... I get 100/20 and have to pay almost $100/month for it. They just released a fibre package of 150/50 as well, but I haven't seen the price. I imagine it's gently caress you expensive.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

There are also precious few choices when going said fast.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

What the hell? Why are some contractors so poo poo?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

It certainly reflects what John Ralston Saul was getting at by saying that Canada's corporate execs are the laziest on earth. "We don't get a guaranteed monopoly when we spend our money building something? Eh, then we won't bother, and block anyone else who tries."

And it's loving infuriating.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

priznat posted:

Also cuts into my piddling 400GB bandwidth allotment :argh:

Nothing makes me more mad than this. They even offer semi-decent speeds, but gently caress you if you wanna use them. That'll be an extra $30 per month unless you wanna get charged insanely priced overages. When I finally bought the $30 unlimited data upgrade I moved around 10TB that month over my line.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

priznat posted:

I am thinking of getting unlimited upgrade too, did you notice any throttling?

I'd like to shift my NAS features to the cloud especially for backups (via crashplan) and could probably do a TB a month if I push it.

I haven't done extensive enough testing with my current methods of downloading and uploading files from/to my friend's server to tell if any shaping is going on. It feels to me like that is absolutely something I should expect Telus to do, but I generally section all my downloads into ~15 threads over sftp to avoid any snooping on the ISP side. So I assume it's there, but you can step around it pretty easily. I'll see if I can remember to test that tonight by pulling a file over a single thread and see what speeds I get.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

They will only disclose it if you can miraculously get an engineer on the phone. They tell you straight up and know that you know how to get around it; not their problem. The only way I managed to find out that Shaw was doing it before I switched to Telus (needed the upload) was because I laboriously benchmarked my connection and download rates against a business line I knew for sure would see no traffic shaping.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I'm not gonna see gig for a long while out in Alberta :rip:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That doesn't make you wrong.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

priznat posted:

Not sure if folks know about this or if it had been posted before. I had gotten annoyed again by not being able to have transparent bridging in my Telus actiontec router again I did a little googling and found this:

http://npopson.com/archives/2202

Basically a super simple html hack on the actiontec web page enables a transparent bridging radio button and bam. No more useless router poo poo from your telus modem.

Thank you for this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Basically that. I get 100/20 from Telus right now for $22/mo + $30 for unlimited cap. This is only until next Sept though when my deal for moving into a new place runs out. Then it's right back up to $90/mo or whatever the hell they charge.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mederlock posted:

Are there even any service providers in Edmonton that provide more then 5 mbits upstream for residential users? I'm in the market for anything over 50 mbits down right now, would be willing to pay between 90-120 a month. Getting more then 5 up would be pretty nice

Telus is your best bet at 50/10 or 100/20. Both have completely poo poo data caps (~400GB) so you'll likely want to get the unlimited thing on top of it which is another $30. If there is fiber in your area I hear rumors of a 150/50 line coming around?

Antioch posted:

I got Telus fibre at 100/20. It's pretty nice. Intro price is like $55 a month then it goes to $90 or something.
The winning argument to convince my wife was "I work from home a lot and need to send files".

The download and upload have been consistent so far which is really what I was looking for. I don't know what Shaw did but the last 3 months I was lucky to get 15 down in the evening, generally I was closer to 3-6 down, while paying for a 60/3.

It seems there are a couple of us Edmongoons in here :hfive:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

priznat posted:

Telus is now sending me a letter every month because I am either over or close to the limit of my data cap (400GB), telling me I should upgrade plans (I am on the highest available in my area) or pay $30 for unlimited.

I paid $5 extra a couple times because I went over by less than 50GB so I don't know how dumb Telus thinks people are??

They could save the loving paper already, it's getting annoying. 400GB goes fast with all the youtube and netflix the family watches.

I used to fight those off saying I already had the best package and they should probably put a less aggressive cap on an obvious power user. They finally stopped letting me win that so I now pay the $30 for unlimited. Due to this I make drat sure I move 6TB every month; sometimes more.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I'm cheating. I have a box serving up Linux distros, but I pay for it so why the hell not?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

As stated before, residential IPv6 isn't really a thing from Shaw; at least in Edmonton. My friend had to jump some serious hoops to even get it set up with Telus.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

The Sweetling posted:

I wish there existed a company as reliable and professional as start.ca but without the bullshit bandwidth caps.

Fixed that to better match the Canadian market.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

originalnickname posted:

IPv6 isn't a thing from Shaw anywhere, business or residential. It's coming soon(tm). I don't believe that their CMTS even handles ipv6, so if you want it, it's either Telus (or someone else) or tunnelling for an internet ipv6 connection.

Oh I thought they offered it exclusively to business clients, but I could be mistaken. I'd have a backup 6to4 tunnel anyways cause you never know. My buddy runs his IPv6 through Telus though, so that's the only hands on experience I have with it from ISPs.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

My seedbox and respective share ratios say I rather enjoy consuming media.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Nenshi is literally the best goddamn guy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah I only get 20 up from Telus right now, but they never bothered me about data caps until I threw up a server hosting a bunch of linux distros. Suddenly then my traffic was absolutely unacceptable and they had to contact me almost weekly regarding it. Piss of mate.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

slidebite posted:

Interesting. I'm on a 25/5 with Teskavvy down in southern alberta. I normally pull a solid 25/6 but today download is anywhere from 12-25 and the latency has been 2-3x normal. I think there is something going on out west today.

I just checked in with Shaw in South Edmonton (for work) and no issues are reported up here.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

I don't know if others do it, but Eastlink cable has a big 'digital' bundle where you automatically get a subscription to hbo, showtime, etc etc. You just have to use your eastlink credentials. That might be the closest thing we get.

However getting EastLink is never the answer as they are absolute garbage.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Dealing with EastLink in Alberta is decidedly awful. I have a client in Grand Prairie on EastLink and holy moly is that connection a giant pile of poo poo.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That explains games being $80+ in Canada; our dollar is... oh right it's worth less! So it's just because America. Gotcha.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

The exchange rate is CAD $1.25 per USD.
The base price for a game in America is $60.
We're actually paying above what the exchange rate would indicate (33% more).

We're just easy to gently caress. :shobon:

If what we pay for internet access is any indication of this; we also absolutely love it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That $5 increase was actually a blanket cost across all accounts, I believe. I did not notice the extra 50GB they added to the data cap because I pay the unreasonable $30 for unlimited.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Not sure about that, but you can disable the wifi.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

For those that buy the new Shaw plan, I would be curious as to what line speeds are actually observed on a daily basis. As it stands I pay less than that for my 100/20 fiber line from Telus, but I realize that isn't available to everyone.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Both seem relevant to current media standards.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Anyone here on Telus Pure Fiber? 150/150 sounds pretty sweet, my area should be lit up next month.

Yep I am on that. It's great. My lines test around 168 up/down consistently. The server running in the other room means I still had to get the unlimited package though. Managed to get it for $100/mo so I'm not really complaining.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Skeematic posted:

I know some areas of Edmonton are getting set up with it (my friend was told the line is being put in to his neighborhood, but he has to pay 1200 for it to get to his house or whatever. When i do a postal code search on telus' website, it says I have it available to me so I assume I don't have to pay for that. I currently pay 83 for internet (450gb cap) so 150/150 seems like a no brainer for 80.

You know it. You can call Telus and get them to double check that your address is already set up for it. They'll enable it, likely send a line tech to replace your modem, then boom you're done.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Skeematic posted:

Cool, thanks

No problem fellow Edmonton goon.

w00tmonger posted:

Edmonton... I'm hosed for service here in Calgary. Pretty much capped at 25 down in varsity

I thought Shaw rolled out their Wide Open 150 in Calgary as well? Maybe see if they can give you a good reason why you can't get it.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It's happening.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I have taken to telling ISPs to pound sand when they call me to "offer special prices". In fact, when they call me at all.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Yeah it's a tough call which one I like better.

Kazinsal posted:

Telus hasn't been tracking my data usage on my Internet 50 for four months now. The usage constantly reads 0 GB on the account page.

I am incredibly confused, but not displeased. Has this happened to anyone else? I think it happened after I turned the bridge port on on my modem...

Just checked my page and they're still happily tracking how much data I move.

slidebite posted:

That was a little rude and uncalled for.

No, not much to add to answer your question, only spot read a few pages. DSLR has a thread on it though if you want to read.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30865142-Follow-the-latest-CRTC-costing-proceeding

It took longer to go over, but this made a lot more sense than the actual document. I lose interest like 5 words in to super specific legal speak and cannot parse actual meaning from the sentence.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Poking around online I came across http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30805481-Telus-fibre-towns-list-as-of-June-17-2017-some-with-950-250

Looks like Telus has 250/250 and is rolling out 950/250 as of last week in areas that have access to Fiber. Guess I'm making a phone call when I get home.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Telus needs to get that gig over to Alberta faster...

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

The problem with 1gbps is that I rarely utilize the full amount, like honestly after this year promotion, I'm gonna drop back down to 300mbps because there's literally no point to 1 gig in my case other than showing off speedtest results

Yeah I basically just wanna have it just to say I did. My 150mbps pipe seems pretty sufficient for me thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Powershift posted:

The new CRTC chair is a former Telus lobbyist. It's all over.

I'm always so scared when this thread updates. This is why.

Jan posted:

Yes, we've come to expect higher prices and less competition. That doesn't mean it's what we want.

Libs gonna lib! :canada:

gently caress