Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Sweet Jesus, I can't believe shaw is rolling out 200mbit Internet connections in the fall. Finally connections that are truly ridiculous are in our reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

downloading stuff at 7+MB/s is pretty awesome, I still remember downloading songs on napster at 28Kb dialup so i could burn sweet mixes to show off at school. ah, nostalgia.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
FWIW, I have my connection through shaw on a bridged modem because I had the exact same issue. Night and day improvement.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Anyone here on Telus Pure Fiber? 150/150 sounds pretty sweet, my area should be lit up next month.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are there any good promos on Telus for new fibre areas? Telus dropped a letter in my mailbox saying they’d be doing the hookup soon

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Powershift posted:

If you sign a 2 year contract, they'll lube up before going in, instead of going in dry.

Also, they won't raise prices until month 13 of your contract, then allow you to go back to the old price for 6 months if you extend the contract by 3 years.

Where do I sign?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It’s nice to have the capacity for downloading stuff though. Some game patches can be huge, and being able to download it in a minute or two is nice.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The average citizen doesn’t know what an upload is, they just know bigger= better.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Hey, long shot question and I'm asking here only because it's :canada: specific:

Anyone recommend a place for buying off-lease computers in Canada? Looking for something like a Lenovo all-in-one. I've got one for work (covid home office) and Mrs. Slidebite likes it.. and her 2500k might finally be dying (I think motherboard issues), so I'll be looking at a new one and a new monitor to replace her ancient VGA unit anyhow.

Otherwise, maybe a mini attached to the back of a monitor with a VESA mount, but I like the all-in-one idea.

Intel 6+ i5 would probably be ideal if we're looking for specifics.

A bit late, but memory express resells old mini/sff PCs for pretty cheap. (330$ for i5-6500t)

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Holy poo poo, ATICs clearance center is a blast from the past inside another blast from the past….pc133 ram sticks, GeForce 4 coolers, agp video cards, 10k rpm scsi drives….

I remember buying my first PC parts there back in 2003 or so, Athlon XP 2500+ and a 9600XT. It was a dingy hole in the wall with stuff piled everywhere, probably still the same today.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

As another goon trapped in this city, I can confirm this is truth.

I've never heard of Oxio either but yeah they seem to be a more up to date TekSavvy. I'm personally on Telus fiber and other than obviously fisting me over cost it functions rather well.

Edmonton is not a world-class metropolis, but it’s not that bad unless you’re complaining about the cold in which case you will not be happy here.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
The Nokia box should just be a modem, essentially with one WAN port and a few others for IPTV and phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Called in to Telus today to threaten cancellation and they immediately offered 65$ for gigabit and a 100$ bill credit for another 2 year contract. Good enough for me, not a lot of competition out here in Alberta.