Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Yep I've tried indoor + outdoor antennas at my place, and nada. Out in the wilds of Coquitlam, and I should be able to get a signal based on the coverage maps, but I guess there is something that is just blocking it. Sucks, because I had an indoor antenna when I lived in east van and the signal came in strong + clear.

I could build a DIY gigantic antenna and put it in the attic but :effort:. Instead I just moan to myself about how crap the shaw/telus picture is and live with it!

Yeah unfortunately the antennas are mostly on mount Seymour and coquitlam, at least the south part, is sort of in the shadow of Burnaby Mountain, also I guess that ridge that runs east/west through the middle of coquitlam could contribute too if you live on the south side of that.

I know a guy that lives on a hill just east of the Coquitlam Silver Cities and he can pick up the OTA signal but only with his big Channel Master antenna on a pole in his back yard. The DIY coathanger style indoor one wouldn't work saddly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Martytoof posted:

How are bitcaps on Shaw?

Or is this just a new way to hit some sort of 120gb cap extra quickly?

I have the 100mbit plan and the cap is 500gigs. There's also a slightly pricier one that gives you 750gigs I think and also an unlimited one.

http://shaw.ca/Internet/Compare-Plans/

the 50megabit one gives you 400gigs.

There's also a little cap bump if you join their "Friends" thing: http://www.shaw.ca/shaw-friends/

edit: I think I pay $110/month for the 100mbit + HD basic cable (all the canucks games woo!) + phone

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Shaw may have its problems but they've never done anything that even begins to compare with how lovely Telus has been to me so meh.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

rawrr posted:

Based on what I've read, the DNS server will actually point a URL to a proxy if it determines that the URL leads to a location-sensitive site. So for example, if you go to netflix.com, it won't resolve to the netflix server IP, but instead to an unblock us proxy.

I don't know if Amazon is super strict on their region restrictions. I was able to buy a downloadable game using a Canadian credit card, and I had no problems watching the streams during my free prime trial.

e: annoyingly, there are some movies on netflix Canada that aren't available on netflix US. Fortunately, the mac interface to switching DNS servers is drag and drop, whereas on my windows desktop, I had to reenter the IP every time.

You could set up batch files to change the DNS server on your windows computer I think.

netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static 192.168.0.200

Replace "Local Area Connection" with whatever yours is called and the IP address with the DNS server you want to use. Have one file to set the US dns and another to set the canadian DNS.

I haven't tried this personally so I don't know if you'd need to stop/start the network connection or not for the change to take affect. Or even if the command fully works. I just pulled it off this page: http://www.petri.co.il/configure_tcp_ip_from_cmd.htm

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just wanted to say I'm loving my Shaw 100mbps internet. Preloaded Borderlands 2 last night and got my highest ever download speed from Steam while I was at it. A steady 10.5MB (Megabytes) per second and the 5 or 6 gig download finished in about 10 minutes.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I don't know how these guys get their data but I find it pretty useful for using netflix canada: http://can.whatsnewonnetflix.com/

oh also, I can't figure out why I can't get unblock-us to work on my ps3. It won't work for netflix, huluplus nor amazon instant. All 3 just try to launch then give errors about not being available at this time. The unblock-us status page says I'm set up correctly though when I navigate to it through the PS3.

I changed my dns on my ps3. I shouldn't have to change it on my router too, should I?

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 12, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Sprawl posted:

Ah the only thing you have to change on your ps3 is the dns server and then make sure its internet facing ip is the same ip as the one that is "active" on your unblockus account.

You also often have to turn off and on the ps3 after changing the settings for it to purge its dns cache.

Hmm, I'll try again tonight. I changed the dns on the ps3, restarted it, held start/select while launching netflix to reset it and then it wouldn't connect anymore. I'll check the IP configured on unblockus I guess.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Oddly I went to the unblockus site on my computer and it said my IP address had changed or something. I told it to update and now everything works. No fiddling with anything on either of my PS3's, it just works. Plus now I can watch the free stuff on Amazon Instant Prime (since I have a prime account).

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Tagra posted:

Google, if you are reading this, please expand Google Fiber to Canada. You will have every person in Canada as a customer within a month. That is not even hyperbole.
:smith:

You say that now but they'll just bring in fibre and slap a 150gb cap on it to "stay in line" with other providers.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

blackswordca posted:

Thats not what I was told by telus when I tried to switch to Teksavvy last year. Last year all Telus would give them is 6/1 and personally I never saw anything above 3.

And same with Cable. Shaw will do up to 100 or probably even 250mbps in my area but they won't let Teksavvy do more than 25 anywhere on cable as far as I know. Also I think teksavvy is still using those older docsis 2.0 modems rather than the docsis 3 ones that shaw uses.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

thexerox123 posted:

I've wondered why this is... Rogers here offers up to 100, but Teksavvy only offers up to 25 on Rogers' lines. Why is this? I also thought that they were supposed to have access to access of equal quality?

Last I heard there was a ruling that bell/telus/shaw/rogers were supposed to offer all the same speeds to their resellers but the big guys were all doing their very best to drag their feet in doing so for as long as possible. I'm sure it must have been well over a hear since I heard that though.

A bit of explanation here: http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r27640362-Why-doesn-t-TPIA-include-DOCSIS-3-

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Yeah I use unblock-us and Netflix, are there any good streaming services that work for newer release stuff? Netflix gets some but most of the time I'm out of luck if I want to see something specific.

Thinking an appletv + itunes might just be the way to go to get content on the TV easily.

Through unblock us you can also get access to Hulu plus that carries a lot of current run TV shows I think. Vudu has fairly recent movie streaming but you have to pay by the movie rather than a monthly fee.

I have Amazon prime so there's a bit more selection available through that too.

I'm just basically thinking of what's available on my PS3 really. Without using unblock-us there's also a service called Crackle that has some movie/tv content including things like a bunch of godzilla movies and such and is free/ad supported. The Crackle app for PS3 is kind of annoying though because it only accepts the commands from a controller (X, O, Square, Triangle, etc) so using it with the DVD remote or a Harmony controller is inconvenient.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Zigmidge posted:

Hogwash. Unless you've actually burned something out in your router (which is hard to do on a WRT54G if it isn't under a stack of books) it'll handle these docsis 3 speeds just fine. Keep in mind that it does far more heavy lifting than that for local network traffic.

TSI Cable's been great in my part of town and it contains one of the densest population city blocks in north america!

e: I use a WRT54G

Depending on which router exactly some of them do have rather poor WAN-LAN speeds:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar/76-total-simul

When I got my 100mb internet I had to ditch my WRT54GL. And I think even with 50mb internet the router would be limiting you potentially?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm on teksavvy cable (shaw) in Burnaby and I routinely download from steam faster than my advertised 25Mbit on average.

I pretty much cap out my 100mbps on shaw using Steam. Maybe Rogers is doing some throttling for Teksavvy?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Nitr0 posted:

DSLReports is the shittiest forum on the internet.

Apparently you haven't seen very many forums on the internet

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
That I would believe.

edit: Wait what about howardforums

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
So at $14M to install that means it will cost every person in town about $1650. Considering not everybody is going to pay for those services that makes it a pretty lengthy RoE. If it's even possible to ever break even with that?

If the average household has 3 people that ups the cost to almost $5000 per subscriber, if every household subscribes. I guess if every household pays an average of $70/month it would only take about 6 years to pay for that (assuming no upkeep/interest costs). Maybe there's government grants and such that bring that cost down though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Gunslinger posted:

One issue I've had is that I don't get "My List" across both regions, only the one I originally registered on. So when I'm in US Netflix I have my bookmarked list of stuff but if I swap over to the Canadian side using the region switcher on Unblock-us its just recommendations again. Sort of annoying but oh well.

On a different note, the base Cogeco business package was increased from 400GB usage to Unlimited. They've never enforced the limit anyway but it was nice that its official now. The speed is also getting bumped from 10 to 16mbps downstream and the upstream got increased to 2mbps as well. Not bad for $67 a month after taxes, more than enough for our needs. I did setup some QoS for the week night evenings but that's mainly to account for my use more than anyone else.

I think part of this is that canadian accounts don't have the list feature yet? Or maybe that's just on Ps3. We just got the ability to use profiles a couple of months ago on our canadian account but I think that's been around for a long time on the US version? I remember when I first signed up for netflix people recommended using a US account for that reason. I didn't because I was dumb though.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Shaw's always been good to me but I just moved and I've never seen congestion this bad before. I'm paying for a 100mbps which I get in the mornings but in the evening the speed drops to 5mbps.

I guess I have to switch to telus to get decent speeds in this neighbourhood. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them in the past but maybe they are different now? At least they don't have ancient out-dated cable box technology like Shaw I suppose.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Coxswain Balls posted:

Have you called in yet to confirm that it's an area saturation issue? If not, I can look at it in a bit more detail for you if you want to PM me your info.

Yeah I talked to two different people who said so. One checked if the area was scheduled to get upgraded and apparently it is but there's no eta on it.

I'm getting telus optik 50mbps on Saturday. Now I have to hope I get one of their new modems that hopefully has bridging enabled so I can actually use my own router.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Just checking, the Telus Actiontec modem can't be put into bridged mode due to the root password being unknown still?

Gotta set up the IGMP for the tv. I just got a new router and wanted to set it up proper instead of the double NAT crap.

The new actiontecs (1200/2200) can apparently be put in bridged mode. Supposedly it's nice too because port 1 is bridged and the other 3 still go through its router so you can hook your router to port 1 and the TV terminal(s) to the other ports and you don't have to worry about them being on your network or mess with QoS or whatever.

I just switched to telus last week and got the actiontec 1200 and it seems to have no problem in bridged mode. Though I'm not sure the telus tech turned off the wifi before bridging it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

cowofwar posted:

Only way you're getting FTTH is if you buy in to a new development. It will never be routed to existing single occupancy dwellings aside by individuals by either the companies or the government.

Unless your city promises to vouch for the company to the crtc? http://www.tricitynews.com/news/277229332.html?mobile=true

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
What I find hilarious is that yahoo is making their own content like the new season of community and other space. They broadcast it themselves via their web site but it's not viewable in Canada.

At least netflix releases their own content in all regions

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2015

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

Anyone ever go to ATIC in Vancouver? They had quite the scammy rep.

I told a guy specifically to NOT take his laptop there for repairs but he misheard me and thought I meant he should take it there. They held on to it for weeks without doing any work and when he went to go get it another disgruntled customer came in for some other reason and got into a fistfight with a sales guy.

So many of those shady places in Vancouver even still, surprising that NCIX's dominance hasn't killed them all off. Part of me wonder if these places are just hobbies or tax shelters or even some kind of immigration loophole (open a small business for easy citizenship).

Back in the 90's a friend of mine bought a monitor from ATIC. Less than a month after he bought it it died so he brought it back (from Kamloops no less) and they did everything in their power to prevent the exchange. Eventually they allowed it though after a lot of arguing. Then the replacement monitor died a few weeks later and they refused to do anything because it was 30 days past the original purchase date. My friend had to find out who their distributor was and use them as leverage to get them to listen to reason.

Another fun store for different reasons was Frontier Computer near Metrotown. Again back in the 90's I wanted the new 3dfx video card that was just coming to market (Voodoo2) and they didn't have it in stock there but the owner/manager insisted that it would be a bad idea to purchase it anyway since 'first revisions always have lots of bugs' and that I would be better off getting something older since it would be more reliable. He then revealed that he didn't even have a PC at home because dealing with computers all day at work made him not want to have one at home. A fine salesman if ever I saw one.

On the topic of internet, ugh Telus is annoying, there doesn't seem to be a way to upgrade your service speed without phoning them. It seems that I can get 100mbps service from them now for $10/month extra which seems nice to me. I just don't want to sit on hold for ages just to talk to a sales person :/ First world problems I suppose.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Haha just had Telus tech support try to sell me on a "Tech support plus" plan for either $60 per incident or a mere $15/month for support of up to 3 computers with a minimum of 1 year commitment. All support done via remote desktop.

Good times.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I wonder how to tell if Shaw has fixed the congestion on my node yet. I had to switch to telus when I moved because my 100mbps Shaw plan slowed down to about 5mbps in the evenings at my new place.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
It's nice when you stop somewhere that has it like a coffee shop or whatever but I ended up having to disable my WiFi while on transit because you'd pass a store that has WiFi and the phone would drop the LTE connection and connect to WiFi automatically by which time you are out of range but it takes a while for the phone to realise before reconnecting to the cell network. Made internet use on the skytrain pretty annoying.

That said, I too am going back to Shaw for the sweet sweet 150mbps deal.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

go fly a bike posted:

I'm happy with voip.ms. It does require some manual setup but it's pretty straightforward.

Same and I have no complaints. I also like some of the stuff it lets you do, like ring your home and cell phones at the same time so you can answer at either one. Or have a us number so people in the us can call you without using long distance minutes.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

slidebite posted:

Telus charged my 70+ year old inlaws $15 for overage this past month, presumably for streaming Netflix. They have a 200GB cap :psyduck:

gently caress Telus and gently caress stupid low caps. They've never been over, ever. Until now I guess, but not even a warning.

Telus always emailed me a few times before I went over. Like at 75% or maybe at 90. Not sure if that's something you have to configure?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Kachunkachunk posted:

Moving to Coquitlam, BC, to a house that doesn't have FTTH or FTTN as far as I can see. Best options I can get are 50/10 on DSL, and 60/6 on cable, or something along those lines.

I know I want to go with a reseller like Lightspeed or Teksavvy, but I'm not sure if I want to go with DSL or Cable, necessarily. Cable ekes out with higher downstream, and less upstream, and might come out cheaper. DSL at 50/10 is a bit more expensive with the dry loop.

I'm not just trying to base my choice on a $/Mbit thing, it's more about reliability and upgradability. Lightpseed also offers a 100/20 package by what I suspect is an MLPPP thing. Cost is not really a problem either.

Any suggestions, or perhaps experiences on the quality of the networking? Broadband Forum/Reddit searches don't generally come up with much, which is probably a good thing.

I live in Coquitlam. Shaw is more location dependant it seems. The last house we were in was fine. We moved to a new neighbourhood a couple of years ago and Shaw's speeds were terrible at peak times... Like 5mbps bad. It took them months to get around to upgrading the area.

I've never had any problems with telus in the last couple of years really, they are just more expensive/slower unless the Shaw area is congested.

The resellers are ok I guess. As long as you don't have any problems. Any issues with the lines means they have to rely on the unmotivated owner to fix. Unless that's finally changed?

Anyway, overall I think internet is in decent shape in Coquitlam. I think DSL is maybe a little more reliable and cable faster.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Godinster posted:

Is Telus ever going to expand its 250/250 to other areas that currently have 150? I'm in Kamloops and Vernon has had it for quite a while :(

Kamloops has been perpetually 3-5 years behind Vernon and Kelowna in internet infrastructure for at least 20 years, maybe longer

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just a week or so ago I had an Amazon delivery person leave a box on my front step. They hid it under the mat though so that was good. Too bad the box was about 2 feet cubed.

They must have realised the mat was less than effective though because they also rolled the garbage and green bins over in front of our door which definitely screamed 'nothing unusual going on here!" When combined with the bright orange Amazon delivery sticker they put on the window beside the door.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mewse posted:

Thanks for the insights, I've sent teksavvy an email telling them I have low hopes for the replacement hardware and whether they'd be able to check with Shaw what's going on.

I'm 99% sure it's not house wiring because speeds were exceptional under my old Shaw package, and current upload/download speeds match the lower 75/7.5 package exactly.

I think Shaw charges teksavy if they make Shaw check or do anything so the techs avoid it like the plague and make you jump through all kinds of hoops so they can be as sure as possible that the problem is on the Shaw side before requesting anything from Shaw. At least that was my experience when I tried teksavy and had a flaky connection.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Wow I was looking into Eastlink as an alternative to Bell here on the east coast since they are the only other provider that offers 1gb speeds. They don't mention upload rates anywhere on their site so I had to connect to their online chat to find out what it was. Turns out they only offer 10mbps upload for all of their plans which seems pretty abysmal to me.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

egg tats posted:

unless something's changed since I switched to a reseller they also have a pretty low bandwidth cap! They also had literally no way to see what your usage was back when I was with them so it would only ever be a surprise!

If you're on bell fibre you've got your best option already

Eastlink lists all of their plans in my area as unlimited now. No idea when that would have changed since we haven't lived out here all that long.

I can't find it on google now but I know that downloading requires a certain amount of upload bandwidth. I would have thought that downloading at 1000mbps would use close to if not more than 10mbps up. I guess it must be pretty close? Sucks for anybody on a video call or something if another person in the house starts downloading a steam game or something.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mik posted:

Bell Aliant is Bell, but I've found them more competent and easy to deal with than Eastlink (I have Bell FTTH but Eastlink mobile). I think support is all based in the Maritimes as well - they're not as horrible as Bell in the rest of the country.

That's good to hear. We were originally going to go with Bell when we moved here last year but the installer didn't show up on the day they were scheduled to, and when we called support they said they couldn't send anyone for another few weeks. I was shocked there was no way to put a priority order in or something.

So we called Eastlink to set up an appointment but they gave us a date over a month away.

We ended up going with Purple Cow for a while until I could get Bell to come in and install FTTH. Purple Cow ended up continuing to charge us for 3+ months after we cancelled with them. At least they refunded it after complaining to them multiple months in a row as they continued to charge us.

Also, all this was at the beginning of the pandemic so I assume the experiences may be atypical all around. Though a friend of mine who moved out here a few years ago said his experience with Eastlink was the same. He didn't go with them because their install dates were ridiculous. Like 6 weeks away from when he placed the order.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

priznat posted:

I was actually surprised to hear people live in Tumbler Ridge, I thought it was turned into a ghost town when the coal mine (?) shut down. I remember stories that you could buy houses for $1 so I guess some folks took up on the offer.

I seem to remember they tried to turn it into a retirement/resort community after the mine shut down. But then they had huge issues with break-ins because a lot of the houses were sitting empty for more than half the year

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

shadow puppet of a posted:

What was ncix’s ugly step brother website where everything was a dollar less but sold under a disclaimer that you can go gently caress yourself? I never bought anything from them but was fascinated by their business model.

atic? I never shopped there but I knew people who did and described the staff regularly getting into screaming matches with customers in the store and such.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I've been on Bell (Aliant) fibre for about 2 years with a HH3k. After an initial issue when it was first installed where I kept getting momentary connection drops every few minutes it's been rock solid.

The disconnecting issue was apparently caused by a software update that didn't work quite right. Resetting to factory defaults so it could do the update properly fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Methanar posted:

The insane thing is how long it lasted.

What exactly did they do they it took like 12 hours to undo. Like, did they somehow nuke their oob management network, and then have no ability to even access their own devices?

Was there a logistical nightmare of even being able to contact anybody else with the whole network down?
Was there some trainwreck of authenticating the staff to physically enter colo locations with a serial cable in hand?
Did they have to do like a coordinated dance with multiple engineers in different physical locations manually removing a config change over console.

what even the gently caress. I want to read the post mortem for this

Well, if it's good enough for Facebook...