Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

For everyone on shaw: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/internetdatausage

Select Alberta as the province, Edmonton as the city. Edmonton is their test market for this poo poo.

Between this and bill C-32, the digital future looks pretty bleak for canada.

for those who can't see that:

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

For everyone on shaw: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsServices/Internet/internetdatausage

Select Alberta as the province, Edmonton as the city. Edmonton is their test market for this poo poo.

Between this and bill C-32, the digital future looks pretty bleak for canada.

for those who can't see that:

Great news, alberta! involuntary sex time!

shaw has updated all their plans!

-the "high speed" drops from a 75gb cap to 60gb cap at $37/month and $2.00 every gb over
-the "extreme" package drops from 125gb cap to 100gb cap at $57/month and $1.00 every gb over
-the "warp" package drops from 250gb cap to 175gb cap at $97/month and $1.00 every gb over
-the "nitro" package drops from 500gb cap to 375gb cap at $150/month and $1.00 every gb over
-additional data: (10 GB for $5/month, 60 GB for $20/month, 250 GB for $50/month)

In red deer at least, tekksavvy isn't available in either form, rogers isn't available, the highest plan telus offers is 10mbps and 125gb cap for $50/month and $2/gb over.

Thanks for pointing out how horrible you are, shaw

:(

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 4, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

All it would take is for one of the big provider to stand up and say "hey, we're not gonna be greedy fucks" and go with reasonable caps and throttling for overages rather than charging.

Sooooo we're hosed.

also, http://www.bell.ca/shopping/en_CA_ON.40-GB-Usage-Insurance-Plan/VasIntInsurance.details

you can get an extra 40 gigs for $5. Shaw's $50 internet plan only gives you 60gb here, and $5 gets you an extra 10gb, but they're nice enough to offer a 250gb package of $50.

This showed up in my account this morning

quote:

Shaw's Internet Usage Services are temporarily unavailable. Please try again shortly or view our list of local technical support phone numbers and email addresses if you would like to contact us.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

Yah I wouldn't want to be relying on that for gaming or even video streaming, but for something non-time sensitive like bittorrent or steam downloading it'd be alright. It would be a non-trivial thing to figure out all the gotchas though, for sure.

Still kind of a nifty idea though!

Do you think if people would email Netflix about the concerns if that helps their case if they bring this up to the CRTC? If they can even do that, anyway. I don't know if they have any recourse outside of perhaps an anticompetitive lawsuit.

Netflix doesn't have a leg to stand on as far as the CRTC goes. They're competing with the big media companies' :canada: patriotic canadian video on demand services :canada: and them even being allowed into canada is just those evil americans invading our culture.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

teethgrinder posted:

Netflix probably carries more Canadian content proportionally than any other media company in Canada besides the CBC. (Because it's what's easiest for them to get rights to.)

It is just too bad logic, reason and facts rarely have a part in CRTC decisions. :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drcru posted:

Bell Canada (BCE) bought CTV apparently.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/bce-to-ask-for-a-break-on-ctv-deal/article1832093/

Funny how they'll have a lot of VOD programs to sell now...

The best part is when you want CTV programs through VOD, you'll have to use bell. If you want canwest global programs through VOD, you'll have to use shaw. If you want to have access to both, you'll have to do it over the internet which means you'll need to buy a bigger bandwidth package. :canada:

edit: If i just made any of you as angry as i just made myself, i'm sorry.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

univbee posted:

You see, I have no problem with paying extra for using the internet "a lot," as long as it's reasonable. $40 more for "unlimited" internet? Fine. I'll live. I'm still paying more that the rest of the developed world, but I'll live.

Or make a "free" time period, like between midnight and 8 a.m. or something where I can go nuts. I'm willing to work with you ISPs, I pay you lots of money, WHY THE gently caress AREN'T YOU WILLING TO WORK WITH ME?!

Because they dont have to. They have been given the green light to price their only competition out of business. The cable company across town is charging the exact same fees. They control the pricing of any isp using their government subsidized lines. Why would they have to make any effort to give you a better deal?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

With the anti-greed movement gaining steam, hopefully the smaller ISPs can weather the storm and live long enough to see some sort of consumer protections enacted.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dudebro posted:

New facebook page for this rally, just a placeholder for now.

Also, this amazingly awesome gigantic argument against UBB.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1621527~7113613720f25003c7128aa38c32efe5/CRTC-2010-802-Vaxination-Petition.pdf

One guy wrote that? Seems at least equivalent to what a parliamentary committee would come up with. I'd like to think that some MPs will read that and do the right thing, but unfortunately politicians don't give off that vibe anymore.

I opened that up to give it a quick skim through and ended up reading through. It's unbelievable how much power bell has with the CRTC to push through the regulations they did. Unfortunately that makes me wonder how much thought they will give to that petition.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://tonyclement.ca/EN/3413/124561

Acknowledgement! That's the first step, i guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My favorite part was

:canada: Who makes your decisions?
:razz: Bell
:canada: What say do you have in those decisions?
:razz: None
:canada: Why don't you have any information on those decsisions
:razz: We can't be expected to remember why we made a decision we made 2 weeks ago

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Full+transcript+CRTC+head+Konrad+Finckenstein/4220102/story.html

"full transcript" only covers Finckenstein's opening statement. Thanks global!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whimsy posted:

Competition minus competitive edge undermines the thing he says he wants to represent. In effect, Bell hoodwinked him into looking incompetent and ineffective, and he could have avoided it if he tried to understand the issues.

Pick one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody has the bandwidth to spare after streaming the questioning earlier, here's an interview with tony clement from tonight. http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=1779426903

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dudebro posted:

I can't believe he's getting poo poo for tweeting decisions. How much more efficient can government get? New generations will not even bat an eye at this, but it's clear who's outdated when they act all offended by tweets.

How dare politicians communicate directly with the citizens, this is an outrage.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.financialpost.com/news/usage/4221725/story.html

This Mirko Bibic chap from the financial post seems trustworthy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dudebro posted:

this is from the GB thread, tangentially related.

THIS is disgusting.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/court-quashes-tory-cabinets-globalive-decision/article1895099/

I have no words to express my disappointment.

The company that launched that complaint sounds wonderful as well

quote:

Public Mobile only has coverage in the Greater Toronto Area and Montreal. Plans to expand their network to other large Canadian cities such as Ottawa are slated to be completed by the end of 2011. Public Mobile does not have any roaming agreements with other providers in Canada, so when outside of their network coverage area customers will have no service.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

"Public Mobile: lovely, but Canadian!"

Welp, looks like i cracked that riddle.

quote:

As a long time leader in the Canadian Internet, cable and wireless markets, Alek Krstajic brings years of experience and competitive insight to the role of Chief Executive Officer at Public Mobile.

Prior to joining Public Mobile in 2008, Krstajic served in senior roles at Canada’s largest communications companies, holding executive roles at both Bell Canada and Rogers Cable Inc.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But most of our ISPs already throttle during peak hours. 4-6 and 8-10, my downloads slow to 1200KB/s, 6-8 they slow to 600KB/s. They want it both ways, throttling during peak hours, and charging during off-peak.

When i was in australia, we had 40gb during the day or "peak" and 40gb during the night or "off peak", when we went over, we got cut down to 128KB/s. no surprise charges, no 25gb caps.

The current situation is nothing but a cash grab with a ton of lies being spouted by both bell and the CRTC. A government agency lying to the government and not being called on it, out of ignorance or not, is infuriating.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 5, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

An early birthday present from shaw

Their count is below my count, so it looks like i have some wiggle room.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PopeOnARope posted:

Now where in the flying gently caress do you live that you're getting 9.6 Gigabit Internet?

Apparently i'm retarded. fixed it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PhancyPants posted:

I'm glad I listened to this.

...I was considering staying with Shaw until I listened.

I just requested an invitation to their customer meetings

http://www.shaw.ca/Internet/New-Data-Usage/

and fully intend on questioning them on off-peak usage, among other things.

I'm already heavily throttled during peak hours, being charged off-peak and throttled on-peak despite being charged $100/month for access bugs me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:D

Speed test never works right for me with shaw, it chugs at 10mbps then jumps to some insane number at the last second

edit: bonus from the phone:

Click here for the full 724x1242 image.

forgive the poo poo webcam snap.

Shaw is supposed to be sending info on how to swap out for a docsis 3.0 modem, but so far nothin.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 20, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://openmedia.ca/news/bell-backs-down-internet-becomes-election-issue

quote:

OpenMedia.ca has learned that Bell has buckled under public pressure and will propose an alternative scheme for the imposition of usage fees on independent ISPs. Bell is expected to come out with its plan this afternoon: today is the filing deadline for the first round of submissions to the CRTC's usage-based billing (UBB) hearing.

Backing down or laying low?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I will gladly hand over 120 canuck bucks a month for unlimited 100mbps internets(or 250mbps when it's available).

Under the old system, the 100mbps plan was around 250 bucks a month and only included 375gb of data.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What does abortion have to do with the internet?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I do believe it's time for a title change

Loving shaw right now.

Just got 100/10 for $30 less than i was paying for 50/2 with their new packages, and some time in august 250/15 is supposed to become available for 20 bucks more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Vehementi posted:

Hey check this out.

Shaw's unlimited 100 package is $135 for 100Mbit connection. If you do the math, you could max it out for a throughput of 33.6TB/month. At 4 cents/GB, that's $134.

So it looks like they did the math there. But, in "phase 2" they are increasing the speed to 250Mbit without changing the price, so you can do 85TB of data for the same price.

So either it's an oversight and they're gonna get hosed by assholes like me who just buy a second connection and hook it up to an unused laptop and transfer 85TB of garbage data a month out of pure spite, or their new mystery infrastructure is 3x as efficient. :iiam:

It's not a "mystery" infrastructure. They're killing off the analogue signal which occupies a good chunk of their network.

What surprised me when i signed up for their 100mbit is that in the fine print, the "acceptable use" policy states that their "unlimited" data is truely unlimited. Comcast's "unlimtied" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 250gb/month. Most mobile telco's "unlimited" data packages have an acceptable use limit of 5-6gb/month.

The number of people who will download constantly "out of spite" would be incredibly insignificant. People who download whatever they feel like downloading whenever they feel like doing it will still be hard pressed to consume more than 5tb a month.

$120/month for unlimited data at 250mbit seems fair to me. However, contrary to what they were suggesting before wanting to stop the average user from subsidizing the "heavy user", they seem to have done just that. The price of their basic 1mbit plan jumped from $27 to $60(but if you have an old plan you can keep it), and the price of their 100mbit plan dropped from $250 to $70. The light user is paying more than double, the heavy user is paying less than a third.

Feels good to be a "heavy user"

Who could have imagined 2 months ago that anybody here would even have to give a poo poo about "wan to lan throughput" of routers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Drakkus posted:

For the record, Shaw does have unlimited plans, and even if you go past the cap on the non-unlimited plans, it just bumps you up to the unlimited plan for that month anyway.

(Note: this is not yet active afaik (the automatic upgrading). Currently if you go over-cap pretty much nothing happens, unless you go way, way over cap, and then you will probably get a grumpy phonecall. However, once it is active, the unlimited plans are a fair bit more pricy than the teksavvy ones, so unless you absolutely need to be able to pull down a terabyte a month at over 25 Mbps, teksavvy will be cheaper.)

They don't seem to give a poo poo yet. i'm on the 750gb cap plan and hit ~1.8TB mark last month, and still only got charged $80 instead of $120. Just checked today and the "view usage" button is gone, but the bill is still the same.

For an enthusiast user, Shaw is really the best. $120 for all you can consume basically as fast as you can consume it. The only problem is they still seem to throttle during peak hours on week days, but being on 100mbit and being throttled to 50 is a little easier to swallow than paying for 25mbit and being throttled to 6.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Somehow, this image makes caps look like an extremely rediculous thing.(the green line being the "cap")

quote:

So Rogers upped their speeds and download caps. Don't get too excited though:
For extreme plus package (the one I checked), from 25Mbps and 125GB to 32Mbps and 150GB. Whoopdeedoo... fantastic.

I guess it's better than nothing, still a far cry from the Shaw ones.
And still employ their buggy throttling and packet inspection program. Amazing company.

Stay strong, eastern brother.

The duopolies are like a perfect storm of anti-capitalism. For the most part, Bell ONLY competes with Rogers, and telus ONLY competes with Shaw.

Because of shaw's high limits, telus can't be too strict with caps. Because of bell's low limits, rogers has a blank check for wallet rape. If there was any serious regional overlap, the free market effect would actually improve things. as it stands, westerners will have an easy ride with telus/shaw, and easterners will get nailed to the wall by rogers/bell.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can only ever hit about half of the speed i pay for on speed test, this is bullshit!

The fastest real download speeds i've seen was around 11MB/s, the shaw website suggests 250Mb/s is available now, so i'm going to call them tomorrow and get some real speeds.

Stay strong eastern canadian brothers, You'll get through this :(

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think shaw might have flipped the 250mbit switch for red deer. My internet has been choppy all night, and now seems to be overloading my lovely router while downloading at 11MB/s

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm on shaw in red deer on 100mbit, and will only hit about 6MB/s on steam, and maintain 10MB/s on usenet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Global news aired a commercial for shaw's internet disguised as a news story

http://globalnews.ca/video/2828453/the-price-of-internet-access-is-on-the-verge-of-going-down

This was aired in their regular 5pm news broadcast here. This is absolutely loving pathetic. The entire story is clearly written by a shaw staffer, ending with the line "so when it comes to data use, it can be about self control" because of course because shaw's newest "cheaper" top teir package that's actually more expensive than it was 3 years ago also has a much lower data cap than it did 3 years ago.

edit: look at the name of that article, and the notice on the top of shaw's main page

Powershift fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 25, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Technically it seems to be a suggestion based on their starred messaged at the bottomed which doesn't charge you when you go over.

They don't "charge" but they do bump you up to the next expensive package. If you're over for 3 months on the top package they cut your internet off for 2 days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

C'mon guys, it's 2016. We're well on our way into the dystopian future movies predicted for us.

This ruling will somehow make it worse for us, in the end.

The big 3 getting angry in defeat, suggesting they can't turn a massive profit at those unreasonable rates so there's no point in carrying on as a business, and sending 100,000 volts through their entire infrastructure to burn it to the ground.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It seems shaw has shamelessly blocked sportsnet streaming for their customers because gently caress you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's fine on the shaw go app, but shows "region lockout" on freerange on PC, and "not authorized" the sportsnet now website.

Both me and 2 friends in calgary are getting "not authenticated" right now, only allowing sportsnet one.

sportsnet says it's a shaw problem, shaw says they don't control sportsnet and to just watch it on tv.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Is that achievable with satellite?

Probably not. xplornet just launched a sattelite a few days ago that they say is capable of 25mbps, vs the 5mbps of their older ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Shockingly, the incumbents are attempting to compete. Shaw is trying to push 2 year contracts for their 150/15 at $50/mo for a year then $80/mo for a year.

Telus is offering 50/10 for $25 for 6 months and $75 after, 150/150 fibre for $42/mo for 3 months and $80/mo after with $15 for unlimited data on either.

Imagine what could happen to the mobile market if they were stopped from sabotaging spectrum auctions or charging $0.25 a loving minute for other carriers on their network. :allears: