Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, cable 120? Where are you? For me they only list 100/10 and 250/20, nothing in between.

If i had to guess, i'd say montreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm starting to think their automated texts aren't actually written by a teenager.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The new CRTC chair is a former Telus lobbyist. It's all over.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, because if they really screw something up, they can just dig a hole, push the town into it, cover it over, and move on to the next one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let me be the first to welcome you back to the 20th century.

If you can get gigabit in the building you live in it's going to be $150/month through Bell or Videotron who are both garbage companies who hate you.

If you can get TekSavvy that's probably the way to go but you'll still be at the mercy of Bell or Videotron to connect it, and again, they're garbage companies who hate you. They'll hate you a little more if you aren't paying them directly, but your money will still be feeding them and you'll still be at the mercy of their on-site techs. Still expect absolutely nothing for $50/month and decent internet for $100/month because prices are still dictated by Bell or Videotron, again, garbage companies who hate you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The incumbent TV providers own all the Canadian TV networks which hold exclusive distribution rights for most programming. A lot of the tv streaming services still require a subscription to the cable channel.

There is no legal way to watch most new broadcast TV online without having a cable TV subscription, and giving money to Bell, Telus, Rogers, or Shaw.

If you want to watch game of thrones legally, you have to pay for a cable/fiber TV subscription, $40/month and the movie network(owned by bell), $20 a month. or buy episodes on a service like itunes, $180 for the 7 seasons so far.

Or you can do what everybody else in the country does and get one of those android boxes off kijiji and pretend you don't know how all the tv shows come into the house for free.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

infernal machines posted:

Do you not get Netflix west of Ontario?

No, we only get Canadian Netflix. He's probably got most of what's on there on VHS already.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

Heh, you think Netflix is full of old poo poo?

Wait until you see Amazon Prime Video.
Oh, my God; unless you count direct to video budget garbage, nothing is more recent than 2011. It basically only exists as a platform for their proprietary TV shows.

Yeah, but with Amazon Prime, you also get free shipping on items that are inexplicably twice the price of Amazon US.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coxswain Balls posted:

You've probably tried it already, but how is OTA television where you live? I only get Global and CBC English/French in my building, but that's still not too shabby for a $20 antenna. I don't use it all that much since I get every channel and Netflix/Crave through work, but the nerd in me likes being able to pull video signals from thin air.

I don't think they even have FM radio stations where he lives.

quote:

I was thinking along the lines of guys like these
http://www.vmedia.ca/en/
Legit? Any others? e: Seems like they need to be your ISP if you want to try their TV. Whelp.

Their base package seems to be the same as robellus.

Googling them it seeems they did the skeezy android box thing before bell asked the CRTC to shut them down, i would imagine that has something to do with it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 17, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

My favourite is Product Z exists but is not 2.5 times the price, but 9 times the price asking for $315 for a set of $35 bluetooth earbuds. You wonder if it's a pricing error but you keep seeing inflated prices from third party sellers all over the site, over and over again.

or $60 for an $8 oil filter.

left is canadian, right is US the $8 canadian option has $25 shipping from kentucky. The Us listing has a $9.33 prime option.

How about oil

Almost 4 times the price, but free shipping! Or 6 times the price buying in bulk!

So what is a $95 oil change off amazon.com is $329.56 off amazon.ca, if you have prime.

It seems outside of the super mainstream stuff, the bulk of amazon.ca listings are american companies, shipping from the US that just double the price, then apply the exchange rate. It's just some dude near the border who orders it off amazon.com as soon as you order it from him on amazon.ca and ships it to you once it has been shipped to him.

There are no good canadian online shopping options, the majority of people polled still say they perfer B&M shopping, yet retail is dying out. Maybe housing costs being over 50% of income where the majority of the population lives is causing a problem?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Diminishing returns certainly has a lot to do with it. A computer from 2001 wouldn't be relevant in 2009, a computer from 2009 can still be relevant in 2017.

My laptop is already 8 years old and will easily see 10 years of regular use. There's no way you could say that about a laptop from 1999 or 2001 in 2009.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think they're legally allowed to do this any more?

What are you going to do, complain to their lobbyist?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dasani whistleblower confirms water is wet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Evis posted:

I’m not sure the government would allow that.

*passes a big bag of money campaign contributions under the table*

What about now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Evis posted:

Now I think it’s what’s best for Canadians.

A merger would help the middle class and those trying to join the middle class.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Are there any good promos on Telus for new fibre areas? Telus dropped a letter in my mailbox saying they’d be doing the hookup soon

If you sign a 2 year contract, they'll lube up before going in, instead of going in dry.

Also, they won't raise prices until month 13 of your contract, then allow you to go back to the old price for 6 months if you extend the contract by 3 years.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe we can ask their lobbyist in charge of the CRTC to look into it, and he can tell us to gently caress off again :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a shame the middle class and those trying hard to join the middle class are so unclear about what they expect out of the telcos. If they could reach a consensus, the government could do something about the issue, but alas, the people just can't agree.

I would imagine the divide is perfectly along party lines, with Liberals wanting to give them the guillotine, and Conservatives wanting to send them to the gallows, but with no clear way forward, we just can't do anything :shrug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Why is the CRTC so loving trash?

Like why do they literally not care about Canadians at all

Because they answer only to our politicians who would sell you for spare parts for $1,500.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

I got an ad from Rogers offering gigabit internet. The fine print says up to 500 Mbps. What kind of Hollywood math is this?

The joys of regulatory capture. What are you gonna do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just got shaw's 300mbit, Telus still doesn't offer anything over 50mbit here.

I've seen 45MB/s off steam. I'm so glad i don't have to wait 20 minutes for games to download anymore.

Also, considering the resources my moderately powerful computer uses in utilizing 300mbit, i really wonder if the average person would actually see the benefit at this point. If i don't pause Avast protections, it bumps up against the limits of a 7200rpm 4tb drive and 4.6ghz 2500k.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

I scheduled an upgrade to the 300Mbps because fuckit. It was $5 a mo more than 150. Also like how they have moved the plans to unlimited although they didn’t charge for overages anyway iirc.

Decided to stick with shaw over going teksavvy due to we wanted to keep tv and the shaw wifi is very useful. Often I find I get no cell service in rec facilities around here but the wifi is fine.

We got it for $5 less than 150($105 vs $110), and got the cable package knocked back to peanuts at the same time. I think we're under $140 now for 300 + medium TV + 8 theme packs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

About fuckin time.

It took almost 20 minutes to download AC: Odyssey the other night, which is complete bullshit. Who's got that kind of time to wait around?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

8ender posted:

You're not wrong but as a kid who grew up with 56k modems I want to shake my cane at you so hard

I remember pirating games with netpumper on rural 56k and i had to leave it going for like 8 fuckin days. We had extra lines installed so we could use the internet at the same time as the phone, and at night i would run a phone cable from the kitchen use 2 lines so i could download at full speed on the computer and still browse the internet on my dreamcast :clint:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I remember one year wondering how anybody could fill a 2gb hard drive, and the next begging my parents for a 40gb maxtor for christmas.

these days i'm pissed because i paid $100 a piece for 3tb hard drives like 6 years ago and i probably couldn't replace them for that.

Still, repeating a sentiment i made a few pages ago, with an antivirus running and an SSD, my fairly respectable system can't even really keep up with 300mbps, i can't imagine how the average person will see any benefit.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Looks like Shaw has doubled the speed on schedule. Just power-cycled my modem, and Speedtest was giving me 340 down.

I guess it's okay :shrug:

e: upped to 50 connections, still okay.

Can still only get around 50MB/s off steam which is bullshit

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 3, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anybody else looking to upgrade right now, AMD has new CPUs and video cards coming out within a few months.

The ryzen 3xxx series is looking to be a pretty big upgrade, and the 5700 cards should be the bang for the buck king.

With new consoles coming out in the next year or two with similar hardware, it seems like a safe path to take.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

codo27 posted:

This is the internet access thread. Why do you share your AMD propaganda here

because people were discussing new PCs,

I would be sharing intel's progress too, if they ever made any

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So how are robellus gonna gently caress us now that they aren't charging $7 for caller Id and 5 cents a megabyte?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

"The cartel uh... the cartel, finds a way."

That's just it, they're being nice by offering us what the rest of the world has at only 5 times the price.

What are they cooking up to gently caress us with? they're waiting around the corner and they're going to hit us in the face with something, but what is it?