Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm... I have 20mbit ADSL2+ in Kitchener, ON with EyeSurf. No caps. I wonder why TekSavvy doesn't offer that.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8ender posted:

You bastard. Had me all excited for a second there :smith:

Waterloo / Kitchener only, and they only seem to offer 10mb DSL on their website.

They promise 10mbps to be on the safe side, but they'll let you have whatever you can sync at. I live across from Kitchener City Hall, one block down from one of their two DSLAMs. For $40 a month, I think I have the best Internet service in Canada for the price. Their PPPoE server goes down pretty frequently though.

Chris Knight posted:

Because they have to deal with Bell, not Fibernetics. The ADSL2+ is only possible with a totally separate DSLAM setup.

I guess Fibernetics is pretty :krad: then.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 4, 2010

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8ender posted:

Depends how savvy and invested you are with the various carriers. I recently scored $78 / month for unlimited local and long distance calling, 6 GB data, visual voicemail, etc from Rogers. Its nice to not worry about minutes anymore. This isn't typical though, and they'll work you for as much as possible if you're a new customer.

WTF? I've been with Rogers for 5 years. I get 500min daytime 500min eve/wknd for local/LD/6gb data/visual voicemail etc but it costs me ~$160 per month after tax. What did you DO!? Since I'm paying so much for so little, I don't know how to downsize. I know long distance is still expensive and that's what kills it for me.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 25, 2010

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

8ender posted:

You: "I'm sorry this is just too much to pay, I think I might have to cancel if theres no way to bring this bill down"

Rogers: "Well, you still have 2 and a half years left on your contract..."

I'm on my third fully subsidized iPhone. They like me heh. I've done this dance before successfully for cable ($120 cable package for $60), but the contract angle is a hard one to counter. I've tried it before.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 25, 2010

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Just a note: earlier in the thread, I was extremely happy with my service from EyeSurf in Kitchener. I was syncing at 20mbit, paying ~$45/mo, uncapped.

Well, I guess they got some new biz people in, because they set my line profile to max out at 10mbit even though they promised never to do so. The tech support people said their hands were tied; they claimed the decision comes from higher up. To their credit, they were very sympathetic and I feel that they genuinely felt bad for going back on a 'promise' they made to me.

So I ordered TekSavvy. Don't expect to sign up for EyeSurf and sync at your line's max anymore. I live 200 meters from the CO, so I am pretty pissed, but hopefully the speeds everyone is seeing with TekSavvy will make me feel better.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Dad's at CIBC, non-essential employees & consultants can only log in between 5pm and 9:30am. He's been going to bed at 10am.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

priznat posted:

There’s going to be a significant percentage that die off and are not recoverable. Will the orbit decay quickly enough on its own? I should do more reading on this tbh.

If they are still alive and can't contact the ground for an extended period of time, they de-orbit themselves.

If they aren't able to de-orbit themselves, I don't know how long it takes to naturally decay, but probably on the timescale of 1-2 years, not decades...

infernal machines posted:

The orbit they're in is predicted to decay within 5 years.

Does it though? They have a service life of 5 years, that's with boosting.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

What happens when transceivers fail and they can't guide the dead ones into the ocean

The serious answer is that they fall out of orbit by themselves within about a year. All satellites in low earth orbit require boosting to stay up or their orbit rapidly decays due to atmospheric drag. The major limit to satellite operational life is the amount of propellant carried onboard. Refuelling in orbit is not yet possible.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They're too small to survive re-entry

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nitr0 posted:

Citation needed.

https://www.space.com/13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html

For example UARS was 6.5 tons and NASA estimates 532kg survived re-entry, about 10% of the mass. Starlink satellites weigh about 227kg. That isn't going to "crash" into anything.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It looks like TSI offers rCable 1000/30 in my building now, I'm on 300/20. 35% higher price for 3x the down. Saturating my GigE sounds nice. More headroom up sounds good too. Guess I'd have to buy a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.

How is everyone's experience with rCable at those speeds? Does it work well? What about modem - CODA-45 or TC4400?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Alright who needs to wait for more than one opinion, modem ordered 😎 Although I got the TC4400; it's newer and TSI had it for 140 + 10 shipping. Amazon has neither and Canada Computers has the TC4400 for 170 😲

I just built a NAS and need to start filling it with all the media I deleted to make room on my old server. Thanks for the push infernal.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Court rejects Bell, Rogers appeals of CRTC decision on internet wholesale rates

TSI comments on reddit

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

TekSavvy demands immediate refund from Bell, Rogers after FCA rejects ‘dubious’ appeals of CRTC wholesale rate decision

quote:

TekSavvy expects that the CRTC will once again direct the large carriers to file updated tariffs with the corrected final rates and to refund monies owed, consistent with the CRTC’s prior direction before the Stay. Until that outstanding balance is paid, in full, TekSavvy will be applying the amounts owed, with interest, as a monthly credit on the wholesale fees charged by Bell and Rogers.

hoho

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

FTTP should have pretty drat good support, right? 'lol your route to cloudflare is broken' should be a bit of a priority for any reasonable ISP, and a quick fix.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

So, not any Canadian ones then.

Oh I don't know, Beanfield does residential FTTP in Toronto and I worked at a company, we had machines at 151 Front in their suite, they were great, they care about their network for sure. I've heard nothing but good things about Beanfield's residential service.

TekSavvy used to have their technical people on DSLR forums, if it wasn't last-mile related but on their side of the network they would be super responsive about fixing it. Start.ca's people on the DSLR forums care about their network too as far as I know, I don't have their service but read some of their downtime threads in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, I got that part. It's the thread title, after all. We know.