Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I love Cohen's thinking noise :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm no where near as rehearsed as lifeless, but I think I can give some advice on this one.

Use the dog park as a reward instead of a treat. If you get her toward you, leash her and praise her, then let go go play again, she'll know realize that leashing doesn't mean going home and no more fun time with dogs.

Try going to empty tennis courts to practice too, they're really great fenced off areas.

You can also get her to chase you and call her name, treating when she get's close enough. This makes you fun and interesting. Practice leash/treat/release there as well.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Apidae posted:

Two questions!

I'm looking at a dog for adoption, he's a Catahoula Leopard Dog cross. Reading about the breed I found out they're prone to deafness. If I were to adopt him it seems like it'd be a good idea to make hand signals as effective as voice commands in case he develops deafness. Is there a good website or book on using the two equally?
Hand signals function the very same way as voice commands would. Many people teach hand signals first, then voice commands even to non-deaf dogs. The only problem is he has to be focused on you to listen to them, assuming he goes completely deaf. Make sure your hand signals are as distinct as possible from each other so you don't confuse him. (this goes for voice commands as well that might sound similarly) Teaching him to focus on you easily will help you greatly.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Do you crate the dogs if you leave them indoors while you're gone? Do this if you don't. It's absolutely the safest for them VS being left outside unattended. People do steal and do horrible things to pet dogs, especially bully breeds. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Can anyone tell me why (specifically) this thing is probably a piece of poo poo? I keep seeing infomercials for it.

http://barkoff.me/

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

MrFurious posted:

So, my wife and I came up with a plan this weekend. We're going to try to desensitize her to people by setting up a couple of lawn chairs out in front of Petsmart for a few hours with her on a short leash. We may get a posterboard up too that says something to the effect of "I am trying to learn to meet people. If I get too excited, please keep walking."

I can tell you already that this won't work simply because people are completely loving stupid and will pet the dog regardless. ("OH SHE'S JUST BEING FRIENDLY") Especially if they have kids. (They want to pet the doggy why are you such awful people who won't let them pet the doggy?) Strangers are not reliable when it comes to dog training.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
This came up in the pet food megathread recently, post from Instant Jellyfish:

quote:

Take a bunch of beef liver, boil it for ~5 minutes, bake for 3-4 (less for chicken liver and check every hour or so) hours at 250 degrees F turning occaisonally, cut into little bits and serve. I keep mine refrigerated or frozen but if you bake them long enough they should be shelf stable for as long as it would take to pass them out. Around here a pound of sliced beef liver costs around $2 and I find it easier to work with than chicken liver.

and cookies:

Cassiope posted:

Let's see if I can remember this right.

1 cup rice or potato flour
2 eggs
1 tsp oil
1 can baby food (check the ingredients to be sure they are dog safe)

Mix it all together, plop it on a tray (if you use a ziploc with the corner cut out you can make poo-shaped treats!) cook on maybe 350 for like ten minutes....keep an eye on them 'cause I don't really remember the cooking directions.

credit to fluffy bunnies on this one, my dog went nuts for them :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

MrFurious posted:

Wheat is a common allergen for many dogs. Check the Pet Nutrition thread.

Exactly this. If you don't have either rice or potato flour, I've heard of people have success using potato flakes, but I'm not sure what else you'd have to adjust in the recipe to make it come together properly.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Snapple bottle tops are great alternatives for clickers and make a much softer click sound. Things like clicky pens can also been used.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Is it aggressive snapping or playful dumb puppy bites attempts?

Definitely practice NILF (Nothing in life is free) training. It's the best thing you can learn to do with a spitz breed. But EVERYONE has to follow through with it, not just you. Have her do a trick or command, before giving her food, toys, before going for walks, everything "good".

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Some people just use regular kibble. I know lifeless sometimes gives entire meals through training sessions. You could try like sample size packed of a different kibble if they don't find their regular food to be motivating.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Hdip posted:

Adorable little puppy there. Our 4 month old husky/chow is the opposite. She wants nothing to do with sitting on our laps and tolerates it for a minute or two then squirms to get down. I'm trying to make her more cuddly with treat rewards.

Here's a picture from when we first brought her home at 2 months old.

holymoly that's a cute puppy

she sounds like a spitz dog already

you're gonna have a smart doggy on your hands, look into buying the books recommended in the OP if you haven't already :)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I am in the position of having to do a persuasive speech in my class. No "big topics" are allowed in the class (thank god), and I fear that "what makes a responsible breeder" is too close to "PUPPY MILLS ARE BAD ADOPT INSTEAD", and it might annoy my professor. I'm also afraid of going on a tangent.

So I think a persuasive speech about positive dog training would be pretty good and something I am at least somewhat versed in enough to feel good giving a speech about. :)

I need a minimum 3 print sources, and I know there are several books recommended in the OP, but for my particular purpose which books would you recommend I get? I do plan to keep them for my ~FUTURE DAWG~ anyway. Also lifeless since you are a fab totally official trainer* can I use you as a source? :3:

*you are close enough

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Psst lifeless, hit me up at *poof*, I need your name for sourcing purposes

I'll ask you specific trainingstuff when I get my outline fully squared away

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 2, 2011

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

paisleyfox posted:

Hahaha, Koji's thing is wave now, since that's one of his newest. He wants a thing, he'll wave at us. He wants to go outside, he'll wave at us. He wants our attention, he'll wave at us. He wants Rosie's attention, he'll wave at her. Trying to teach him a new trick, he'll wave at me. It'd be a little annoying if it wasn't so goddamn funny!

I love Koji holy crap. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Susan is your mom the type to refuse to believe or learn anything new after they've decided what they've learned the first time is right?

Cesar probably enforces dog training that your mom grew up with, reaffirming that she's right because there's someone ~popular~ and ~modern~ doing it under the guise of some buzzwords.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Dogs hump stuff because it feels good man and :downs:. Even fixed dogs, both male and female do it. Obviously it's not something you want to encourage since 1. It's pretty rude and 2. It might end your dog getting bit.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

actionjackson posted:

Greyhounds must be an exception to this. Abby responds to "no" very well. This is helpful when she does things like try to sniff what I'm eating, or get in my way when I'm trying to do something else.

Since she's had previous owners it's more likely that "No" was taught to be a "shoo" kind of thing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

actionjackson posted:

But is this "new school" type of training really saying that using "no" is by itself bad? I mean if it gets the dog to stop what he/she is doing I don't see the issue. Plus it's a lot easier than whatever alternative method their might be, especially in the case of my dog who has still has a very active prey drive being only two months retired.

I think lifeless was just explaining that "no" is problematic because it's nonspecific and dogs don't speak english. :) It's not that it's wrong, it's that typically when people are telling their dogs "no no no no" it has absolutely no meaning attached to it. Your dog probably picked up what "no" specifically meant and that's fine. Other people use things like "ah-ah" or another "nope don't do that" command/sound. Leave it is a popular one since it says "leave that thing alone and commir".

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Skizzles posted:

You and me both. I'm not sure I'll ever learn. :smith: That idiot has way too much charm and sway with stupid people. Is it so hard to do a little research, or at least not act like a defensive, close-minded rear end when presented with some? This has happened with almost every Cesar fan I've talked to. Ugh.

Somebody needs to fund an entertaining TV show starring people like Patricia McConnell, Sophia Yin, Emily Larlham, etc., because that's the only thing that gets anyone's attention these days. :sigh:

Based on the tons of comments I've read in that Judge Adams thread, people love being able to inflict corporal punishment, both on their kids and their pets. Even BETTER if they have the "logic" from this nice man with an accent and pretty teeth telling them that it's meant to be that way.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fraction posted:

Do you think that's a holdover from a lot of trainers having started out in dominance backgrounds/so much dominance theory stuff being so popular?

whaaaaaaaaat

The only one of those things that is really acceptable is the stairs one. My friend's retarded labs always shove their way past people to get down when we're going downstairs. That's just dangerous. :I Especially because they have wooden stairs.

But lmao pretty hard at WALK INTO YOUR CHILLED OUT DOG UNTIL IT MOVES OUT OF YOUR WAY.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

McJuicy posted:

Recently got another dog. Now we have two dogs. One is clicker trained the other is not. How do I clicker train the other one without the one dog thinking he should get a treat to? Should I get something that sounds different for the new dog?

This can actually be beneficial to helping the new dog pick up behaviors more quickly. After getting through the basics of clicker training with the new dog, do training exercises with both dogs. Separate training sessions shouldn't be too much of an issue if you can crate one dog at a time or close off a room for clicker training.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Rixatrix posted:

Get the squeaker from one of his fave toys after the toy is destroyed and stick it into a more durable toy. If you don't want to get crafty, just use one of those food-stuffable jackpot toys but instead of food, fill the pouch with squeakers.

Would anyone be willing to help me out and record sound of their dog(s) playing/training/baying/howling/growling/screaming/etc? I need to proof Rho's startline sit stay for dog-induced distractions coming from behind him and since he takes even sounds coming from the tv very seriously, playing sounds from my laptop should help. Youtube would solve it otherwise, but I can't get online where we train agility.

I think I'll need all kinds of sounds, calmer and as hyper as your dogs can get. The recordings can be long or short, it's all good as long as I can download the sound (or video for that matter) for later use. Thanks in advance!
I forgot the name of Super's youtube channel but there's plenty of barkbark on it. You can use listentoyoutube/file2hd or anything similar and yoink the audio off any video.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Awesome job Impatiens :)

• Locked thread