Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
What's the current fan favorite delta printer that I could build myself over a weekend?

I'm looking at sub-$1000 if possible and I have access to a laser cutter and my UM2 for any machined parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
Rostock Max v2 is the only one worth looking at.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
It looks like that's a full kit. Is that really all you need for a thousand bucks? Seems like it's well-received and it's like half of what I thought it'd cost to get something decent. Is everything else just crap at that price point or is this that good?

I was looking at the Zortrax M200 which seems like a pretty capable machine, but it's twice the price. Jeez I'm talking like I'm about to buy one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If I know my lore, I'm pretty sure insta would recommend the Z18.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
The Rostock Max v2 is pretty nice for the price point.

I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper that would let me print out a decent set of parts and maybe utilize this $200 Home Depot gift card hahaha.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Why does it have to be a delta?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is this a particular build or anything? Iv'e been considering the idea of printing a 2nd printer, but wouldn't really know where to start

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DaVinci 1.0 is $350 delivered from Amazon right now, I'm comfortable with flashing to bypass their filament restrictions. Any reason to not get this as a first printer?

http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vinci-1-0-Printer-Grey/dp/B00T472C2Y

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

w00tmonger posted:

Is this a particular build or anything? Iv'e been considering the idea of printing a 2nd printer, but wouldn't really know where to start

http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock

There are several different printers that you can print out there right now, a couple standard styles and a couple Deltas. Lots of different custom parts as well.

meatpimp posted:

DaVinci 1.0 is $350 delivered from Amazon right now, I'm comfortable with flashing to bypass their filament restrictions. Any reason to not get this as a first printer?

The DaVinci is supposed to be decent, and it seems like there is a fair market for aftermarket mods for it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I got the DaVinci 2.0 (dual print head) and after modding it to use Repetier and open source firmware stuff it is excellent for the price.

Just be aware, the company who makes them works harder and harder to make new revisions un-moddable. If you get one from Amazon it might not be modifiable now or ever, or it might be fine. If you can't mod it to use the good firmware, you are stuck buying their expensive filament carts with DRM on them. If you try to cheat the DRM, they can remotely disable the printer permanently, which I'm sure isn't legal but they do it anyways because they're based out of Thailand and give no fucks.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

meatpimp posted:

I'm not seeing 350 on this end. newegg had it 350 the other day though

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I'm not seeing 350 on this end. newegg had it 350 the other day though

Huh, that's funny. I was going to say "Oh, it just shows the $450 for the blue one, if you switch to grey it's $350" because that's what it was for me earlier and I thought it was really weird. Now they're both $450 though, go figure. Dynamic pricing, I guess.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Don't support a company that attempts to be more restrictive than MakerBot.

The Rostock Max V2 is a pretty awesome printer, but my next printer looks like it will be a Lulzbot. They're a lot more expensive, though.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

This. I don't know about the quality of davinci's but I strongly encourage people not to support such a shady business model.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Zero VGS posted:

I got the DaVinci 2.0 (dual print head) and after modding it to use Repetier and open source firmware stuff it is excellent for the price.

Just be aware, the company who makes them works harder and harder to make new revisions un-moddable. If you get one from Amazon it might not be modifiable now or ever, or it might be fine. If you can't mod it to use the good firmware, you are stuck buying their expensive filament carts with DRM on them. If you try to cheat the DRM, they can remotely disable the printer permanently, which I'm sure isn't legal but they do it anyways because they're based out of Thailand and give no fucks.

CommieGIR posted:

The DaVinci is supposed to be decent, and it seems like there is a fair market for aftermarket mods for it.

It's worth a shot (and yeah, looks like it's back to $450 at Amazon now, weird).

I can't get into a discussion about the ethical nature of 3d printer manufacturers. If you eat food or use other electronics, you're supporting things much worse than DRMing some filament.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

deimos posted:

Why does it have to be a delta?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a delta printer. I just already have a cartesian and was considering something different to build for my girlfriend. I'm open to suggestions!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I can't get into a discussion about the ethical nature of 3d printer manufacturers. If you eat food or use other electronics, you're supporting things much worse than DRMing some filament.

Pretty much, hence why I'm not too hurt by my Makerbot and the people saying they are terrible.

It does what my company wants, and has an Enterprise level support that they wanted. :shrug:

nolen posted:

It doesn't necessarily have to be a delta printer. I just already have a cartesian and was considering something different to build for my girlfriend. I'm open to suggestions!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:41967

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 22, 2015

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Geirskogul posted:

MickRaider posted:

This. I don't know about the quality of davinci's but I strongly encourage people not to support such a shady business model.

It isn't shady, it is just a simple DRM-enforced razor-and-razorblade model. Like Keurig and those new DRM K-cups.

Anyhoo, my point is if you mod the thing to take other filaments, you're not supporting their business model. They're probably breaking even or taking a loss in fact.

Still, you have to figure out if you can mod whatever version you wind up with: https://github.com/luc-github/Repetier-Firmware-0.92

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Sets a bad precedent for something that's an emerging technology.

Zero VGS posted:

It isn't shady, it is just a simple DRM-enforced razor-and-razorblade model. Like Keurig and those new DRM K-cups.
Keurig and razorblades are also a lovely business model.

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 22, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
FYI: I'm running Fry's generic brand PLC through my Makerbot. No issues other than having to turn off the automatic jam detection.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Just be aware that technically voids your warranty on the smart extruder. But hey it's probably cheaper if you can get it to print more than 10kg on one smart extruder

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MickRaider posted:

Just be aware that technically voids your warranty on the smart extruder. But hey it's probably cheaper if you can get it to print more than 10kg on one smart extruder

Its $100 for a new one, they give you a $75 credit when you return the old one, warranty or not.

But this is part of why I am building my own printer, the Makerbot is my companies, not mine, and the company is not averse to spending $100 on 'Consumables'.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 23, 2015

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

CommieGIR posted:

Its $100 for a new one, they give you a $75 credit when you return the old one, warranty or not.

But this is part of why I am building my own printer, the Makerbot is my companies, not mine, and the company is not averse to spending $100 on 'Consumables'.

I love that a $100 extruder is considered a consumable to someone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IndianaZoidberg posted:

When the company is one that also maintains a CNC machine and gigantic garment cutting machine that regularly needs consumable parts that cost thousands of dollars? Yes, $100 is 'consumable'

insta
Jan 28, 2009

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Many of these companies do not take desktop 3D printers seriously (rightfully so) because they "only" cost $2500. The motor controller for a single axis of their equipment costs more than the entire makerbot printer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

insta posted:

Many of these companies do not take desktop 3D printers seriously (rightfully so) because they "only" cost $2500. The motor controller for a single axis of their equipment costs more than the entire makerbot printer.

Perhaps they should invest on objets instead?

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
Build volume, purchase price, price of consumables, etc. A desktop printer is a fairly easy no-brainer, but even at my company where we target only about one year of use out of a desktop printer and treat a $100 part like a consumable, we still take the time to find what fits the need. If anything, leasing a dimension 1200 or a Fortus 250 might be an easier jump.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I bought a Robo 3D R1 before thinking to look for this thread, did I gently caress up?

Amazon had them for $800 and I thought the build dimensions and the all-metal extruder tip were good selling points.

EDIT: I printed a whistle and a spool holder that fits over the top of the printer with the sample material and will be printing the Tower of Pi this evening out of T-glase (after spending a few prints earlier this week on making little buttons and calibration circles with the material until I got the settings right).

EDIT #2:

T-Glase settings (using the Matter Control software that came with the printer only with this material, for some reason Simplify 3D can't handle T-glase settings)!

Extruder temp = 228
Bed Temp = 62, no tape or hairspray; T-glase seems to hop right off of it as layers build up but sticks to the heated glass for some weird reason.
Speed = 15mm/s for all moves (perimeter, infill, etc.)
1st Layer thickness = .1mm
All other layer thicknesses = .15mm
Extruder diameter setting = .5mm (actual is .4mm), multiplier set at 1.1
100% infill if doing something complex, otherwise check the Vase/Spiral Vase feature and let it run. <--still testing this setting to see if it actually accomplishes anything.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 24, 2015

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Holy crap 15mm/s is insanely slow. You shouldn't have issues at 60mm/s with the robo.

It's perfectly serviceable and the latest models seem to have nice print quality. That said it's basically just a prusa i3 with a lid. So you could have saved some money building it yourself, but then you'd have to build it yourself

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Davinci 1.0a showed up yesterday. Flashed repetier firmware with no issues. Took a little bit to get the configurations close, had some slicer numbers wrong, but last print of yesterday was nearly perfect. 20mm cube that's nearly spot-on dimensionally, is nice and firm with only a little bit of a saggy bottom.

This could be fun, I hope it's reliable.

Is there a "best" place to buy filament (or best filament to get)?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

MickRaider posted:

Holy crap 15mm/s is insanely slow. You shouldn't have issues at 60mm/s with the robo.

It's perfectly serviceable and the latest models seem to have nice print quality. That said it's basically just a prusa i3 with a lid. So you could have saved some money building it yourself, but then you'd have to build it yourself

The manufacturer's page gives a print range of 15mm-30mm for T-Glase, so I started off slow until I've got a few prints done. This isn't PLA or ABS, man.

meatpimp posted:

Davinci 1.0a showed up yesterday. Flashed repetier firmware with no issues. Took a little bit to get the configurations close, had some slicer numbers wrong, but last print of yesterday was nearly perfect. 20mm cube that's nearly spot-on dimensionally, is nice and firm with only a little bit of a saggy bottom.

This could be fun, I hope it's reliable.

Is there a "best" place to buy filament (or best filament to get)?

Depends on the filament you're after. Everywhere I've looked has had basically the same price for the same filament (Amazon.com, Matterhackers, that Global sample site, etc.).

I've got some PET+ coming in some time next week for some actual models I'm going to print (water-phobic and "engineering grade" supposedly, we'll see).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wade Wilson posted:

Depends on the filament you're after. Everywhere I've looked has had basically the same price for the same filament (Amazon.com, Matterhackers, that Global sample site, etc.).

Just looking for straight ABS, is there a difference in brand, or is it just a "buy on price" type of product?

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Just looking for straight ABS, is there a difference in brand, or is it just a "buy on price" type of product?

There is definitely a difference between brands. ABS is made up of 3 polymers, and the ratios can vary heavily. Different mixes can print much nicer than others.

It's also important for the dimensions of the filament to remain constant for consistent prints. If it gets too thick, or too thin the extruder doesn't deposit the amount of plastic it thinks it is. Bad dimensional accuracy can also cause jamming.

Poor quality filament can also contain air pockets, or high water content which can lead to the exturder sputtering which leads to poor prints again. You can bake out water, but can't do anything about air.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Aurium posted:

You can bake out water, but can't do anything about air.

I'll have you know printing in a vacuum is the next big thing, just see my kickstar- :downsgun:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

meatpimp posted:

Yeah, the quality between brands can be pretty wide open, though I haven't really noticed any weird high prices for quality. Usually makes a difference of about $5-$10 for a spool.

There is some no-scent ABS at MakerGeeks that looks interesting that I'm thinking about getting, but the colors are limited (if you don't care about the smell, there's all kinds of cool stuff there).

http://www.makergeeks.com/abs3dprfi.html

EDIT: Glow in the Dark filament looks like it'd be neat for loving around with stuff (same for the black-light filament).

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I just wish spools had a consistent inner diameter. I have a couple of spools I can't use because the ID is like .75"

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, the quality between brands can be pretty wide open, though I haven't really noticed any weird high prices for quality. Usually makes a difference of about $5-$10 for a spool.

There is some no-scent ABS at MakerGeeks that looks interesting that I'm thinking about getting, but the colors are limited (if you don't care about the smell, there's all kinds of cool stuff there).

http://www.makergeeks.com/abs3dprfi.html

EDIT: Glow in the Dark filament looks like it'd be neat for loving around with stuff (same for the black-light filament).

The Glow in the Dark stuff will clog every nozzle it comes near with some sort of uncleanable cement. Beware...

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

insta posted:

The Glow in the Dark stuff will clog every nozzle it comes near with some sort of uncleanable cement. Beware...

I got some cheap Glow in the Dark filament from Amazon and it's been some of my best filament. Doesn't glow very much though. :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kazy posted:

I just wish spools had a consistent inner diameter. I have a couple of spools I can't use because the ID is like .75"

Probably won't help for your printer, but I made two of these (the "longer.stl" file) for my printer and it's pretty great. Seems like it'll hold pretty much any spool size I put on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

What is special about PET+ in general? I saw Micro Center started carrying it.