Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Midjack posted:

Calling it now, 3D printers banned when lawmaker stabbed tragically with a copywrited Lord of the Rings dagger printed on a CupCake, you heard it here first!

Needed more irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Sanford posted:

Anyone with more knowledge of the subject than I care to weigh in?

How did the scanner see and render parts that were hidden, like the little axle thing that screws the jaws open and closed? That was the part I was wondering about. Seems to me a modeller would have to come in and tweak that part before printing. Is that what they did, but left out of the video?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Oh man, I really want this thing. I'm already making things with it in my head :V

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

peepsalot posted:

They're all dickbutts aren't they

No, they're robotic kittens and carnivorous pitcher plants. :colbert:

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

If this has been mentioned already, apologies. There used to be a link checker that told you if a link had already been posted, does it still work like that?

"The QU-BD One Up is the world's first production ready 3D printer to break the $200 barrier. It uses industry standard technology and electronics and everything is OPEN SOURCE!"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/qu-bd-one-up-open-source-production-ready-3d-print

A printer for only $200 sounds very tempting. How well would this printer print miniatures like the ones in Sage's post?

Sagebrush posted:

e: here are representations of what you can expect from, respectively, an average quality FDM, a good quality FDM, and the Form1. The robot is about the size of one of the miniatures you're talking about.