Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
On the Stratasys/Dimension uPrint Plus at work, it has a second nozzle for a proprietary support material called SR-30. It sort of melts away under a certain pH level of lye solution and agitation/heat, but it is still best to remove as much by hand ahead of time as possible.

(It's kind of gross, to be honest.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Sagebrush: HIPS doesn't seem to adhere to PLA, but PVA does. Nothing sticks to Nylon AFAIK (it's hard to get flat prints actually, it likes to curl ... at least my cheap Nylons do)

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

insta posted:

Sagebrush: HIPS doesn't seem to adhere to PLA, but PVA does. Nothing sticks to Nylon AFAIK (it's hard to get flat prints actually, it likes to curl ... at least my cheap Nylons do)

A friend of mine did a really interesting mixed layer print of nylon and laywoo-d3 - worked great!

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?
For the nylon printers trying to get it to stick to the bed.

Has anyone tried using a nylon stocking slipped over the glass/aluminum tray and then glued with PVA as a base? It seems that the nylon would stick to other nylon quite well?

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

insta posted:

The new hotness for hobby printers is adding a soluble support material as a second extruder. A few years ago it was PVA (polyvinyl alcohol -- Elmers glue!) with PLA plastic. PLA has its disadvantages, so HIPS (high impact polystyrene) is a support for ABS. PVA won't adhere to ABS, so you have to use compatible plastics. HIPS dissolves with Limonene (retail DeSolvIt) with doesn't harm ABS but rather leaves it with an orangey fresh scent :3:

Is there a way to get ReplicatorG to use a second nozzle to do this? I haven't done much research, but it seems like only Makerware does this out of the box and it doesn't like my Replicator (can't flash the new firmware) and it likes to bluescreen my machine.

For that matter, is there a new alternative to ReplicatorG? It looks like development stopped November of last year.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Does anyone know a good place to order the K8200 in europe, online? It's out of stock on every Swedish site, and the other sites I can find charge more than 20% extra.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Is there a way to get ReplicatorG to use a second nozzle to do this? I haven't done much research, but it seems like only Makerware does this out of the box and it doesn't like my Replicator (can't flash the new firmware) and it likes to bluescreen my machine.

For that matter, is there a new alternative to ReplicatorG? It looks like development stopped November of last year.

There is a script for an older version of RepG that does this automatically if you have two extruders on a Replicator 1. I used it for a bit, but support material got better and I stopped caring.

I'm pretty sure I got the script from the Makerbot Google group, but it might have been on Thingiverse.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Does anyone here have any experience with Sketchup? I am looking to import .obj files into it but the only plugins I can find are pricey. Has anyone seen a free importer, or perhaps know a way to convert them? While my Makerware will open them for printing as they are, I want a way to do some editing in Sketchup.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Pez posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with Sketchup? I am looking to import .obj files into it but the only plugins I can find are pricey. Has anyone seen a free importer, or perhaps know a way to convert them? While my Makerware will open them for printing as they are, I want a way to do some editing in Sketchup.

http://www.fluidray.com/downloads/ (10 second Google search, FluidImporter is free and non-gimped)

Sketchup isn't that great for editing polygonal models though. Also, Trimble taking the free version of Sketchup non-commercial only and removing any trace of Sketchup 8's license on the Internet to hide the fact that you can use it for commercial stuff is some bullshit.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Obsurveyor posted:

http://www.fluidray.com/downloads/ (10 second Google search, FluidImporter is free and non-gimped)

Sketchup isn't that great for editing polygonal models though. Also, Trimble taking the free version of Sketchup non-commercial only and removing any trace of Sketchup 8's license on the Internet to hide the fact that you can use it for commercial stuff is some bullshit.

I've already tried that, and the version that works with 2013 is indeed gimped and requires a license. Already tried Google, hence me asking here. But thanks.

Alternately can anyone suggest something better than Sketchup?

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Got my 3Doodler. Kind of stupid but its fun.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Not an Anthem posted:

Got my 3Doodler. Kind of stupid but its fun.

How well does the plastic feed through the 3Doodler? I've read some awful things about them not extruding well at all.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

UberVexer posted:

How well does the plastic feed through the 3Doodler? I've read some awful things about them not extruding well at all.

It'll hang now and then if you don't give it a clear line of feed but I honestly haven't had a bad time with it.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Am I correct that a MendelMax 2.0 would be a good platform for extruder+firmware experimentation? I have a pellet melt pump I wanna play with.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Is the Printrbot simple kit worth the money? I'm going to start getting into 3d printing and I'd rather have something simpler to learn the ropes on before I go building my own Prusa. That, and I figured I could print my own Prusa parts using the Printrbot.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

Mofabio posted:

Am I correct that a MendelMax 2.0 would be a good platform for extruder+firmware experimentation? I have a pellet melt pump I wanna play with.

MendelMax is a good place to start for any kind of hacking because it's got a crazy strong frame and it is all open source. Do it and let me know how it goes, I'm interested in something like what you've described, but I'm fairly busy with other development.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

peepsalot posted:

I haven't used a makerbot, but my hackerspace has one. Basically all I hear about that one, and also from the only other person I know that has one, is that the extruder stops extruding all the loving time.
Yes, they do. We have 3 Makerbot Replicator 2 machines (named Larry, Moe and Curly) and they "air-print" ALL. THE. loving. TIME. As a result, my maker lab co-workers and I are all :argh: :doh: :mad: :gonk: :bang: :suicide:

We also have an UP! Mini (named Shemp), for which we use ABS plastic and it prints beautifully. Since we set it up, I've had maybe two failed prints and one of them was because I let the new spool get tangled. I also love that the UP! software will tell you, in advance, approximately how long a job will take and how much plastic it will use. (Seriously: MakerWare needs to implement that that feature yesterday.)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

stray posted:

(Seriously: MakerWare needs to implement that that feature yesterday.)

It did over a month ago :v:

Also I'm loving my Flashforge Creator so far. The only trouble I've had so far is leveling the bed, and I think that is mostly my fault and not the printer's.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Has anyone actually used those more advanced filaments like laybrick or the timber one, especially on a Replicator 2? I've got one myself and wasnt sure how they would go through the smaller 0.4mm nozzles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've got some, but haven't tried it out yet, actually. I do have a 0.4mm nozzle though so I can post back when I give it a shot if you like.

I did try the glow-in-the-dark stuff and found it to be almost...gritty. I think the phosphorescent stuff doesn't emulsify with the PLA very well. Still prints, but it's a little rough looking.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
I was asking about the base materials for printing Nylon earlier and after googling the recommendations (Garolite etc.) I noticed that these materials sounded like the old school PCB material Pertinax (basically resin-impregnated cardboard, with standardized name FR-2). So I bought some cheap FR-2 printed circuit boards from ebay (single side, non-drilled) and printing Nylon on those worked beautifully. The prints stuck well at 100 C and released cleanly when cooled down.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

McSpergin posted:

Has anyone actually used those more advanced filaments like laybrick or the timber one, especially on a Replicator 2? I've got one myself and wasnt sure how they would go through the smaller 0.4mm nozzles.

My ultimaker also has a 0.4mm nozzle and that wood filament worked fine.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I play table top games and am curious if any 3d printers on the market can print reasonably detailed miniatures. (Example: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/14/142867/2555035-drewcifer.jpeg , maybe an inch tall.)

Do I have any options? Should I wait? I'm not in any hurry, it'd just be awesome to print customized minis, if it's possible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If that guy's an inch tall, the detail on that is getting into SLA territory. The only printer on the market in reach of a hobbyist that can reliably hit that resolution is the Form 1, and that's still $3200.

A well-calibrated FDM machine capable of 100-micron layers should be able to get close, though, and with a little bit of solvent vapor smoothing you could get something that's at least in the same ballpark.

Do consider that you also need to be able to accurately model the characters, or have a design already available, and there will still be finishing work (removing support material) with each guy you print.

e: here are representations of what you can expect from, respectively, an average quality FDM, a good quality FDM, and the Form1. The robot is about the size of one of the miniatures you're talking about.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 13, 2013

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Anemone posted:

I play table top games and am curious if any 3d printers on the market can print reasonably detailed miniatures. (Example: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/14/142867/2555035-drewcifer.jpeg , maybe an inch tall.)

Do I have any options? Should I wait? I'm not in any hurry, it'd just be awesome to print customized minis, if it's possible.

I don't think the hobbyist machines are there yet.

To start, I don't think you could produce satisfactory results with FDM. If you had a machine that did 100 micron layers effectively, it would still have a profound loss of detail on something that size (i.e. the chainmail). Maybe the FDM machines that use the .1 mm nozzles and <100 micron layers would produce something that is close but even then, you'll be wrestling with the overhangs and support structures and it will require lots of post-processing.

Also, using solvent vapor smoothing will improve the surface finish but remove even more details.

Commercial SLA machines could handle miniatures like (see the Shapeways Ultra Detail materials). Hobbyist ones.. maybe.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just saw a KickStarter for a circuit printer. While it isn't 3D it did crib off of some printer designs, and it still has applications in the 3D printer crowd.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cartesianco/the-ex1-rapid-3d-printing-of-circuit-boards?ref=home_popular

I have a feeling the circuits aren't terribly long-lived or have terrible resistive losses, but still very interesting. I wonder how hard it would be to add their print heads to a traditional FDM head.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just noticed the UP! Mini at $899

http://www.pp3dp.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37

A bit under 5" cube build platform (~120mm3) for under a grand with the kind of results I've seen from UP!s in this thread sounds pretty cool.

e: Plus I love ABS since I'm always printing for durability and never for prettiness / ornamental / etc.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 14, 2013

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Not really a 3d printer, but since there's no general CNC thread, this looks kinda neat, though really overpriced in my opinion:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1638882643/diwire-the-first-desktop-wire-bender

There is a open source version with BOM and everything(actually with more capabilites: 3d bends). My hackerspace is starting to talk about maybe trying to build our own.

e:
http://makezine.com/projects/diwire-bender/
https://code.google.com/p/diwire/

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

peepsalot posted:

Not really a 3d printer, but since there's no general CNC thread, this looks kinda neat, though really overpriced in my opinion:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1638882643/diwire-the-first-desktop-wire-bender

Yeah, I was real sad at how expensive the Kickstarter is.

quote:

There is a open source version with BOM and everything(actually with more capabilites: 3d bends). My hackerspace is starting to talk about maybe trying to build our own.

e:
http://makezine.com/projects/diwire-bender/
https://code.google.com/p/diwire/

This is definitely the way to go. You can get a set of the steppers/drivers/power supply you need for like $400 off ebay. I've thought about building one a few times but I really should finish the other kits I have first.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

New printer for metal clays that can be fired to make solid metal pieces:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/minimetalmaker-a-small-3d-printer-that-fabricates-with-precious-metal-clay

Anuvin
Jan 10, 2008
Death to the False Emperor!
For the next 28(?) hours, there's a contest to win a free Peachy 3d printer (or $120 CAD voucher for backers).

http://www.peachyprinter.com/#!blank/c9x8

Photoshop/caption contest for publicity. Sorry for the short notice, just heard.

e - ugh, it's an imgur popularity contest. Still though, free printer.

Anuvin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 16, 2013

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

If this has been mentioned already, apologies. There used to be a link checker that told you if a link had already been posted, does it still work like that?

"The QU-BD One Up is the world's first production ready 3D printer to break the $200 barrier. It uses industry standard technology and electronics and everything is OPEN SOURCE!"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/qu-bd-one-up-open-source-production-ready-3d-print

A printer for only $200 sounds very tempting. How well would this printer print miniatures like the ones in Sage's post?

Sagebrush posted:

e: here are representations of what you can expect from, respectively, an average quality FDM, a good quality FDM, and the Form1. The robot is about the size of one of the miniatures you're talking about.

Malacept
Sep 18, 2006

Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Faltion posted:

I've had really great results with hairspray so far. It makes the surface contacting the build platform insanely flat, which is something I've never gotten using kapton due to potential bubbles. Does blue tap work with ABS? From what I gathered I thought it was more a PLA thing.

We've had great results with ABS sticking to just hairspray too. Blue tape worked ok some of the time, but it wasn't consistent.

I'm happy with our Rostock Max delta printer so far, though we've had to replace or upgrade quite a few components to get any quality prints. Each time we replace something, we squeeze a little bit more quality out but we aren't quite there yet. Bridging and temperature controls are our current biggest issues.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Good lord, goal of 9k and raised 340k+ so far.

As a BTDT buildin' and shippin' things guy I hope they have the planning and management for that to be "break out the champagne, we're celebratin'!" territory.

For most people celebratin' would have been back at 20k, and 340k+ is blasted way past celebratin' and wrapped clean through to :frogsiren: + whatever hyperventilating into a paper bag would be as an emoticon.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hopefully they're good. I'm supposed to get mine in February so if someone else backed it and builds it please post about it. If no one has by the time I get mine I'll toss up some pictures of the build process.

Anuvin
Jan 10, 2008
Death to the False Emperor!
I hope you qu-bd dudes get your stuff. The other kickstarter from them did not go extremely well. Take a look at the comments, for their print head.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext/comments

Then again, I backed the Peachy printer, so who am I to talk?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Has there ever been a successful (not in funding, but in actual delivery) kickstarted 3D printer since Printrbot?

Seems like it's the land of vaporware these days.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Not kickstarter but that makibox thing is actually starting to ship now as of 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Sun Dog posted:

If this has been mentioned already, apologies. There used to be a link checker that told you if a link had already been posted, does it still work like that?

"The QU-BD One Up is the world's first production ready 3D printer to break the $200 barrier. It uses industry standard technology and electronics and everything is OPEN SOURCE!"

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/qu-bd-one-up-open-source-production-ready-3d-print

A printer for only $200 sounds very tempting. How well would this printer print miniatures like the ones in Sage's post?

Literally had my card in my hand but now...

Anuvin posted:

I hope you qu-bd dudes get your stuff. The other kickstarter from them did not go extremely well. Take a look at the comments, for their print head.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qu-bd/open-source-universal-3d-printer-extruder-dual-ext/comments

Then again, I backed the Peachy printer, so who am I to talk?

Not so sure. Still tempted to pull the trigger. What should i do goons?

Edit: gently caress it, went for the two-up even if i won't get it till march

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Kazy posted:

Has there ever been a successful (not in funding, but in actual delivery) kickstarted 3D printer since Printrbot?

B9Creator shipped their units.