Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Hey guys. I'm looking to get started prototyping parts for a project I'm working on but don't have a ton of money to get started. What's a good printer to look into? MakerBot is like $1400 which seems crazy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I live in the middle of loving nowhere Virginia, so unfortunately that seems like a long shot.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Any opinions on the mono price printer that is on sale today?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403&p_id=13860&seq=1&format=2

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Anyone used a cheap eBay CNC/milling machine?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-CNC-Router-Engraver-Milling-Machine-Engraving-Drilling-3-Axis-3020-Desktop-/130999706774?nav=SEARCH

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

You can google the model number and find some reviews of dudes who have bought them. Apparently they're decent. No USB though, you have to have an old rear end parallel port.

Lots of cheap China stuff works well enough with some tinkering. Who was that goon who got a CO2 laser engraver from eBay?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So has anyone used any 3d scanners? I've bene looking at the bq Ciclop, since it's all open source/arduino based there are knockoffs on Aliexpress for about $150. Or I could print the parts myself (one is kinda tall though, have to split it), and get the electronics for $50 or so (also from Aliexpress). Someone recommended the DAVID laser scanner program but it looks like its gone full on $2000 commercial license now. Plus I want something automatic.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

So has anyone used any 3d scanners? I've bene looking at the bq Ciclop, since it's all open source/arduino based there are knockoffs on Aliexpress for about $150. Or I could print the parts myself (one is kinda tall though, have to split it), and get the electronics for $50 or so (also from Aliexpress). Someone recommended the DAVID laser scanner program but it looks like its gone full on $2000 commercial license now. Plus I want something automatic.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

So I got the Monoprice printer for Christmas and I'll be setting it up soon and giving it a go. I've read that PEI is good for a base to keep the plastic from separating. Also, what would be a good source of filament? I've found this which seems to be a good price and has good reviews.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so i had a bit of stuck filament and went to disassemble the extruder assembly on my wanhao i3 (actually the mono price variant but its all the same poo poo) and hosed up, i removed the screws holding the stepper motor together instead of the screws holding it in place

disassembling a stepper basically ruins it right? because since then i have been unable to print, it looks like nothing is putting out enough filament, which I'm guessing is because the motor is no longer working properly to feed it into the extruder

anyone know what motor to use as a replacement? its a NEMA 17 but Im unsure as to the other characteristics of it, it has "c17hd40102-01n" printed on the side but that doesn't do anything for me

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Really? Because I've had nothing but trouble finding the part. I can't find anything about it in terms of degrees per step, voltage, current draw, etc. I'd like to have specific details as to what I'm looking for so that I can buy it off of aliexpress or something for $10 instead of $40 from some reseller

edit: i just opened it up and tried to clean out the extruder, then put everything back together. the gear had some plastic on it, so i cleaned that off too but my prints are still starting out like this

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 14, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Actual first layer. I'm using simplify3d with a height of .2mm. I'm willing to tool around with settings but like I said I've been printing with this for a while using these settings and haven't had any major problems until now. But maybe the motor was a coincidence.

I've tried adjusting my build platform but honestly the paper goes in and out with a bit of drag. Which is how it should be.

And I change the tape usually after every other print or so

The actual edges of the piece look fine. It's the fills that are all hosed up

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I made my first useful thing!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1377535