Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

YA protagonists are overwhelmingly young adults and is usually a central part of its definition so you might be hard pressed to sell a story with adults as a YA. I just think labelling something as YA as a sign of low quality is poor criticism as if most genres aren't dominated by terrible books.

A lot of the attraction to YA for readers is similar to Sci-fi/Fantasy in that its a reader's market in perhaps not the best way. Like if you find a niche that's your absolute jam its very easy to find more of the same but its easy to get stuck in the same loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

YA books aren't actually read primarily by teenagers, their largest audience is adults from like late 20s to mid 30s.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A human heart posted:

YA books aren't actually read primarily by teenagers, their largest audience is adults from like late 20s to mid 30s.

That seems weird. Then again I know a bunch of 30 something year olds that still play Final Fantasy where you're almost always playing as a 15 year old boy. Nope, they're both weird.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've always felt YA has primary protagonists that skew younger than 18, and non-YA has primary protagonists that are ostensible adults. That and most YA tends to be bildungsroman type stories, which makes sense if you're marketing your literature at an audience you would expect to try and push concepts on, rather than just entertain. (YMMV, of course. Nothing is absolutely on one side or the other.)

Twilight and 50 Shades are the same story, just one of them takes place in a high school and the other post-high school.

This is literally true. For anyone who doesn't know: 50 Shades started out as a Twilight fanfic. Because the original premise of David Wooderson, vampire edition, wasn't creepy enough for some people.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

That seems weird. Then again I know a bunch of 30 something year olds that still play Final Fantasy where you're almost always playing as a 15 year old boy. Nope, they're both weird.

its not really weird that a bunch of adults who live in the contemporary world want to retreat into escapism with a heavy focus on 'worldbulding' and simple black and white morality, although it is obviously bad.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

A human heart posted:

If that's true, it's a very recent development. Source?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Was there ever a weaker defence of a novel than "well it's not that book you like, so obviously you'll say it's bad"?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That wasn't a critique of the book, moron.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Corky Romanovsky posted:

:crossarms: What are you talking about? I was talking about Ccs's post about Traitor Batu Cormorant.

I'm not sure what you're actually trying to accomplish here, really.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this study is from 2012: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/53937-new-study-55-of-ya-books-bought-by-adults.html

here's a probably less rigorous thing from the denver public library circa 2014 with higher figures for adults versus young adults: http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/19/more-adults-than-youths-are-reading-young-adult-fiction/

Corky Romanovsky posted:

nice to see people willing to discuss books in the book discussion forum

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is literally true. For anyone who doesn't know: 50 Shades started out as a Twilight fanfic. Because the original premise of David Wooderson, vampire edition, wasn't creepy enough for some people.

I find the whole 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight thing fascinating because its really representative of a facet of fan culture.

It is the same story but through two incredibly different lenses. Meyer is a sincere mormon essentially trying to work through a sex dream through a best selling young adult book. It's all very chaste and weird. 50 Shades is a much more cynical attempt at writing.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Here's a 2012 Atlantic article referencing how adults are reading YA.
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/04/what-does-young-adult-mean/329105/

A human heart posted:

its not really weird that a bunch of adults who live in the contemporary world want to retreat into escapism with a heavy focus on 'worldbulding' and simple black and white morality, although it is obviously bad.

I have a feeling that most readers heavily read inside a relatively narrow genre without straying too far. Fantasy, True Crime, Tom Clancy etc. There is a certain amount of diversity in YA where you have contemporary sitting alongside fantasy and dystopia etc. It's easier to jump between those genres under the YA umbrella because the online community and marketing brings information about them to the same place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Oh by the way, I made this at a suggestion in another thread, and I never posted it here!

quote:

This Troper's name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as “Quothe.” Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. This Troper has had more names than anyone has a right to.

The Adem call him Maedre. Which, depending on how it’s spoken, can mean “The Flame,” “The Thunder,” or “The Broken Tree.”

“The Flame” is obvious if you’ve ever seen This Troper. He has red hair, bright. If he had been born a couple hundred years ago he would probably have been burned as a demon. This Troper keeps it short but it’s unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes him look as if he has been set afire.

“The Thunder” he attributes to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

This Troper has never thought of “The Broken Tree” as very significant. Although in retrospect he supposes it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

His first mentor called him E’lir because he was clever and he knew it. His first real lover called him Dulator because she liked the sound of it. He has been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. He has been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. He has earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But This Troper was brought up as Kvothe. His father once told him it meant “to know.”

He has, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

He has stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. He burned down the town of Trebon. He has spent the night with Felurian and left with both his sanity and his life. He was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. He treads paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. He has talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of This Troper.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

:crossarms: What are you talking about? I was talking about Ccs's post about Traitor Batu Cormorant.

I'm not sure what you're actually trying to accomplish here, really.

You didn't even critique the book though. You just read a summary and called it drivel out of hand. So I posted a similarly snarky and vapid response.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 4, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

You didn't even critique the book though. You just read a summary and called it drivel out of hand. So I posted a similarly snarky and vapid response.

the summary makes the book sound bad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Oh by the way, I made this at a suggestion in another thread, and I never posted it here!
That works uncannily well. Mostly because of the sentence fragments. Which approximate the authorial voice of someone who desperately wishes they were a Joss Whedon character.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/10/the-name-of-the-wind-10th-anniversary-edition.html

quote:

7. Appendix: The Aturan Calendar

As if you needed more proof that Rothfuss is a master world-builder, the new edition boasts an appendix explaining the Aturan calendar. So for those of you who wondered how many months are in the year (eight) or how many span are in a month (four) or how many days are in a span (eleven), now you can find answers to your questions. Just don’t get us started on the “chaos” surrounding the Seven Days of High Mourning.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I wonder if adults reading YA is at all similar or related to the Japanese phenomenon of adults playing video games set in high school because it represented the last time in their life where they were truly free to express themselves before being browbeaten by Japanese corporate culture to become a soulless drone.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wonder if adults reading YA is at all similar or related to the Japanese phenomenon of adults playing video games set in high school because it represented the last time in their life where they were truly free to express themselves before being browbeaten by Japanese corporate culture to become a soulless drone.

I'll thank you to not post my completed therapy homework.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
“No one writes about economic reality within this genre like Pat Rothfuss. The real-world weight of the sometimes impossible distance between the things you want and need and what you have in your pocket.

No one writes about music like Pat Rothfuss. The way it sneaks into your soul, the way it feeds you like nothing else.

No one writes about stories like pat Rothfuss. How the right story at the right time can change the world, how the teller can shape a life.

No one writes like Pat Rothfuss. Full stop. Read this book.”

- Lin-Manuel Miranda'

I can see why this MIranda guy is some kind of deity to liberal nerds.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 5, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A human heart posted:

the summary makes the book sound bad

It's a very clever, very angry book, but that's a godawful summary that makes it sound like some generic YA dystopia.

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017
Will the third book ever be written? Or are we going to have another Robert Jordan or GRR Martin on our hands here?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CoolHandMat posted:

Will the third book ever be written? Or are we going to have another Robert Jordan or GRR Martin on our hands here?

It's in progress. Rothfuss just greatly exaggerated how much was actually done in advance.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

CoolHandMat posted:

It won't. Rothfuss is having too much fun being a Celebrated Fantasy Author.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
If it hasn't been finished by now, it won't be published next year. It's absolutely delightful that fans suffer because of it.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

ulmont posted:

It won't. Rothfuss is having too much fun being a Celebrated Fantasy Author.

He seems to be speed running GRRM. We will get the conclusion in a poorly paced TV series.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

CoolHandMat posted:

You should be so lucky that Rothfuss die and an author as talented* as Brandon Sanderson finishes it.

*in comparison to Rothfuss

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jivjov posted:

It's in progress. Rothfuss just greatly exaggerated how much was actually done in advance.

We are past the 10 year anniversary of Rothfuss telling us that book 3 would come out around 2010.

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

“No one writes about economic reality within this genre like Pat Rothfuss. The real-world weight of the sometimes impossible distance between the things you want and need and what you have in your pocket.

No one writes about music like Pat Rothfuss. The way it sneaks into your soul, the way it feeds you like nothing else.

No one writes about stories like pat Rothfuss. How the right story at the right time can change the world, how the teller can shape a life.

- Lin-Manuel Miranda'

I can see why this MIranda guy is some kind of deity to liberal nerds.

no please no

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ulmont posted:

We are past the 10 year anniversary of Rothfuss telling us that book 3 would come out around 2010.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

Don't forget, though, that book 2 being out "2 years from now" turned into 4 years. His assumed question of "why so long?" is extra funny, though, since it's been more than 3 times his estimated time frame now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Maybe it's like Avatar, and he's actually been writing five books that'll be released in rapid succession.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rothfuss doesn't have to worry about the fantasy market forgetting he exists so that's a lot of pressure off of actually having to write in a timely manner.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

It is true, only a master world builder could devise something as elaborate as a calendar. :worship:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Enter my elaborate fantasy realm where anything is possible and people hate Mondays.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I can't believe how loving perfect this is, holy poo poo

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

- Lin-Manuel Miranda'

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Evil Fluffy posted:

It is true, only a master world builder could devise something as elaborate as a calendar. :worship:

He just shuffles a few numbers around. Months are longer, but there's fewer months to a year. Its still nearly equal to our calendar. What's the point?

Same thing with the 11-page insert about money. You could replace drabs and talents with GP and it wouldn't change a single thing about the book.

I'm fine with shaking up terminology a little for flavor in a story, but that's all this is. Rothfuss ran a couple 'Replace' functions on his draft. Its not epic worldbuilding.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

- Lin-Manuel Miranda'

:barf:

The same cousin who wanted me to read this book is obsessed with Hamilton. He called it, quote, 'the greatest hip-hop album of the decade'. I don't hate Hamilton but I might hate Lin-Manuel Miranda now.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Eela6 posted:

:barf:

The same cousin who wanted me to read this book is obsessed with Hamilton. He called it, quote, 'the greatest hip-hop album of the decade'. I don't hate Hamilton but I might hate Lin-Manuel Miranda now.

Miranda is just a huge nerd

Lots of arty theater and music nerds love Rothfuss for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Miranda is just a huge nerd

Lots of arty theater and music nerds love Rothfuss for some reason

Rothfuss is a master of working the "No, this nerdy poo poo is deep and insightful and philosophical!" angle. Which makes you deep and insightful and philosophical, too, by liking it, and it gets perpetuated by other celebs like Lin giving blurbs like the one above, turning into a giant circle-jerk. Basically catnip for people who can't just enjoy nerdy poo poo and be happy with it for what it is.

• Locked thread