Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Liesmith posted:

Is it a requirement for fantasy writers to look like this? That looks like GRRM 30 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Eerkik posted:

I understand why this book gets so much hate, but I have to say that I enjoy it a lot. I just read it again yesterday and was captivated. Different strokes, I guess.

March can't come quick enough. Oh well, I should probably take the time and catch up on the Malazan books and finish The First Law trilogy.

The beginning of the year is going to be amazing. Rothfuss and Abercrombie are coming out with new poo poo, and Game of Thrones premiers on HBO in April.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll toss my hat in with the dummies and say I love Name of The Wind and I can't wait for the sequel.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The next 1.5 months are going to be amazing. Joe Abercrombie comes out with his new book in February, followed up by Rothfuss. I can't wait!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

xwonderboyx posted:

300 pages in and so far so good.

427 pages in and I'm enjoying it!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I just finished it. Say one thing for Patrick Rothfuss, say he writes some awkward poo poo in regards to love/romance/sex.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

just_a_guy posted:

On the subject of the fight scene. It seems to me that Bast was getting what he intended, which is to say Kvothe was getting is grrove back on and joyfully kicking rear end. Suddenly he was like "Woops i'm a poor innkeeper better get my rear end kicked" It is quite conceivable that he lost is magic by name-changing or whatever, but, if he is not just a poor sap riding his overly exaggerated reputation his physical proesse should be unchanged. My point his: He's a liar and can't fight for poo poo nor is he a great hero or he was faking it. and the book did not yet answer that

I would love to have Kvothe be a liar and his whole reputation a sham. Unfortunately, the fact that Bast looks up to him and is his student, that pretty much throws that theory out the window.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
My favorite parts of the book were when Kvothe was losing or getting his rear end beat. When he failed to persuade the boy not to join the army, or when he got his rear end beat by Devi. Also, I took great joy when the bandits beat him in his bar.

I think Joe Abercrombie has ruined me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Could someone please tell me what chapter Exal Dal(?) showed Kvothe that he knew the name of Fire. I can't seem to find it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wittgen posted:

There's a new book coming out, but it's not Doors of Stone. It's some standalone book about Auri.

Has he made any mention about the third book yet? I tried browsing through his blog but I had to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The best part of the second book was Kvothe getting his rear end kicked in the bar, and the following scene with Bast. Those felt like the most genuine scenes in the book.

• Locked thread