Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Put the book down, 'bout 700 pages in. I am going to finish it, but it has certainly killed my enthusiam about finishing it.

After the very creepy fairy sex chapters, we get kvothe being a suave rear end in a top hat who thinks women are instruments to be played. Yes he qualifies it, and yes it's a metaphor kvothe might make. But the fact he made it at all is incredibly unsettling to me. He apparently has the power to seduce almost any woman and its just... I thought he was trying to steer away from the over powered awesome poo poo. He goes to trouble to explain stories and how they built up around him, and that is kind of cool. But there are conversations, especially in the pub straight after he returns from the fae land, that I flat out do not believe would happen. No one acts like that except in deluded personal fantasies.

I am in the middle of the hand speak kung fu people section. The writing is still smooth but literally the only thing I care about is the seven and how he became Kote, and I know its hardly going to touch on those. The Oracle tree was incredibly cool though, props to Rothfuss for that.

Its not bad, but I just feel its lost the heart of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hughmoris posted:

I just finished it. Say one thing for Patrick Rothfuss, say he writes some awkward poo poo in regards to love/romance/sex.

If you cut out all of the awkward sex poo poo and at least 80% of random girls fawning over kvothe the story would be much better.

Then again if he spent a little more time on the interesting poo poo like the weird scraelings in present day bumblefuck town and the demons that killed his family then the story would surpass much better and skyrocket into amazing (assuming he has something interesting to say about that stuff, since hes had some fairly cool ideas i'll give him the benefit of the doubt).

The best thing about the series is that Kvothe is your standard over powered hero who becomes a burned out shell who can barely do anything but tend to a bar. That's interesting. If the hints in this book are anything to go by, he might have a cool ending.

But I will still skip any Fairy loving pansy rear end boring perfect pretty boy poo poo and roll my eyes every time some girl waxes poetic about kvothe.

Also, gently caress Denna. Seriously, whenever she shows up the story goes into the shitter. If the tragic ending to kvothes story is that she dies in excruciating pain while he is forced to watch, I don't think he will cause the emotions he is hoping for in his readers. Kind of like when Margaret Thatcher dies, traditiondictates a funeral and the country will get a hangover and a traffic cone on its head

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Benson Cunningham posted:

Evidence to the contrary not withstanding.

He put up a post on his blog saying his editor let him put everything he wanted in the second book (up to the longest book physically able to be published). His first book didn't have creepy sex (his editor told him whats what because he was unpublished). This seems to be evidence that supports the idea that he listens to his editor.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

WeWereSchizo posted:

There's no way he wraps everything up in just one more book. He hosed up the pacing of WMF too much to pull that off.

If WMF got all of the wandering kvothe out of the way then I can see it being wrapped up. I'm not gonna buy the third if a fourth one is announced - I'm done with trilogies that spiral.

If each book had a proper, traditional story I'd keep buying it. Say something like the Lies of Locke Lamora - each novel has a set story with a beginning, middle and end. But the Kingkiller books aren't like that, and I was sold on this being a trilogy.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BananaNutkins posted:

Before Kvothe can become cool Mr. Wizard hero, he has to have an antagonist. And as of the last book, his most dangerous antagonists have been the roofs of buildings.

The chandrian are pretty drat cool antagonists. So, yeah, we don't get to see much of them. More Ambrose the pig-headed university student it is!

(The hate tree is awesome though)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Jett posted:

I'm pissed because I thought the final book was coming out this spring and just found out today that I have another year to wait. I guess I should check up on these things more often.

Has 2013 even been confirmed? I try to avoid getting my hopes up when it comes to books, and especially fantasy books.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

I must say, the way he finally wrapped up the money issues in TWMF made me really happy. I was getting really, really tired of "yay I found money!" "oh no I spent all of my money on my lute! Why am I always in debt??!? Life is so unfair" repeated like 5 times.

Any chance you can explain the scam? I'm glad theres going to be no money issues in book 3 but for the life of me I have no idea how the tuition scam is supposed to work. So he gets a high tuition and the Maer pays for it, how come he gets a kickback the higher the tuition is?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

He worked a deal out with the bursar that he gets half of anything over 20 talents. And don't hold your breathe. Once he's thrown out of the university its gonna be back to nonstop talking about ripping off shop keepers and scamming rooms by being super smart and good at music.

Yeah - how does that work though? The tuition fee should presumably go to funding the university. Lets say the tuition is fifty talents, so the bursar gives him 15. That means the university doesn't receive 30 talents (presumably?) So basically the system hes set up only works because the bursars corrupt and the university isn't checking that the money is being collected?

I'd laugh if this is the reason hes expelled.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the bursar just tacks the additional amount on to the bill they send the Maer. The University gets more than its fair share since Kvothe is bombing his evaluation on purpose and Kvothe gets a chunk that they are over billing the Maer for. So really the Maer is getting hosed and everyone else is coming out ahead.

This is the part that bothers me. If this is the scheme then purposefully bombing his interview (I know he only does it a little and the dick teacher fucks him over royally for it unexpectedly) is stupid and having a system in place to share money after however many talents even more so. So he gets charged 50 talents and then the Bursar adds 30 to the bill to split between him and Kvothe? Makes no loving sense to want a big price.

If he was charging the Maer fifty talents per term and sharing the leftovers with the bursar (for helping him scam the Maer) then i'd understand it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Can someone tell me if there is a point to Slow regard of silent things? I got 40% through and my eyes just glaze over the words now. Rothfuss wasn't kidding when he said this book was different - theres no conflict, no goals, no stakes, just an uninteresting mystery about a piece of junk.

Although to be fair the story reads exactly like a story involving Auri would read so I'm not sure what I was expecting.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Levitate posted:

Man you guys seem to hate Rothfuss a lot for a thread about his books.

I just finished name of the wind and while it's nothing amazing, it was a pretty enjoyable fantasy book in a lot of ways (though Kvothe friend zoning himself with Dinnah is hilarious if Rothfuss isn't self aware about that)

Also the point of Auri in the first book anyways seems to be so he can have someone that gets him into the archives, it just takes literally the entire book to sort that out. eh, no more offensive than any other bit character.

the love or hate for these books seems wildly out of proportion to the books themselves.

It always happens when the author of a series takes too long to put out the next installment (although curiously I don't see much hate for Scott Lynch). But ten chapters about fairy loving rarely help matters.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
This whole sex ninja thing came about because of the Penny Arcade strip right? Because swordsmen who follow a strict code of conduct (Lethani), consider the sword they have very important rather than an interchangeable weapon and hire themselves out as mercenaries aren't sex ninjas.

They're sex samurais (or sex ronin if you don't consider the adem culture to be their masters)

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, I'd have to agree, but I also think the first book created so much hype with its fun , new spin on the genre that the sequel could never have lived up to it. The Lies of Locke Lamora also suffered from that.

Lies of Locke Lamora actually works as a novel though - you can read it and then be done with that series (the second ends on a cliffhanger though and I haven't read the third).

Name of the Wind is more like Fellowship of the ring in that its one part of one story.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

He released a book last year, though.

NOTE: I've spent the last five minutes thinking about this post, and the kind of posts you usually make on a forum like something awful. And this isn't like most of them. But thats ok. This is a post just for the people who like this sort of post. But if you don't like this post? Well this post isn't for you, and thats ok.

The book he released was poo poo.

But don't comment on this post. Thats what the note was for. There is no need for discussion here, thank you.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

god bless writers that treat their craft as a profession, unlike the bearded messire rothfuss

The dude has enough money to not need to.

He does a charity fundraiser every year (or more often than that) and has two kids so hes obviously pretty busy in his personal life.

But when he said he had the whole thing written, or mapped out or whatever he was being deliberately misleading. I'm not bothered by that, but I can see why some people would be.

Wittgen posted:

Trying to interpose facts between people and their dumb irrational hatred is a losing proposition.

Theres nothing irrational about people who talk poo poo about Rothfuss/GRRMs/Whoevers writing speed. They enjoy authors work, author is taking a long time thus no work for them to enjoy.

And so long as you're not talking this poo poo directly to the author in question theres nothing harmful about it either.

Personally I don't care that its looking like 5 years or more between book 2 and 3. Whenever I imagine book 3 I think it will have probably 10% cool stuff, maybe an explanation for the mysterious poo poo thats gone down in the present of the novel and 90% D&D adventure quests, petty feuds between Kvothe and Ambrose and hey maybe sex barbarians/vikings to go with the fairies and ninjas.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wittgen posted:

It's people saying that Slow Regard is literally the worst book ever written.

I can't argue anything else in your post unless you provide quotes but this stood out to me because I am certain that Slow regard isn't the worst book ever written. I am not saying it is the worst thing ever written. But I am going to be clear:

Wise mans fear had serious problems that interfered with my enjoying the story as a whole but was recognizable as part of a story. Slow regard was poo poo. There is a difference between these opinions and there is a difference between poo poo and worst thing ever written.

But it was poo poo.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ha yeah thats what I was thinking of when writing that.

Thinking of Rothfuss and his note about how this story was different, and Stephen King with his stop reading now at the end of Dark Tower - Has any author included a note in front of a piece of work that wasn't massively insulting?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

bartlebyshop posted:

What about JRRT's thing about how the Lord of the Rings isn't an allegory for World War 2?

The copies I read didn't have anything like that in front of the actual story (or part of the story, like stephen kings dark tower note). Is there a printing with notes at the front? If so then I guess thats not an insult seeing as how the dude actually served in a war.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

And then Slow Regard came out and people realized that Book 2 wasn't a fluke, book 1 was.

I went from NOTW and WMF to the two Stormlight Archives books so the terrible writing of WMF was made even more glaring in hindsight. Give me Kaladin or Shallan at their worst over Kvothe Potter and his Sex Ninja Adventures.

See, I don't think this is fair. NOTW and WMF are not radically different. They have many of the same problems, WMF just intensifies them. Slow Regard is a different thing (and would be recognised as different even without the stupid note).

And I tried Stormlight. No matter Rothfuss' faults i've never read a part of his story and thought video game. D&D adventure yes, but not video game.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Apparently the company that bought the rights to make a TV series of the Kvothe stories let the option lapse and theres a bidding war by the big names to get a hold of them. If we ever see anything come out of it is another story, but this seems like something relevant to the thread.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Martello posted:

I think a lot of what you're talking about is probably his storytelling. Maybe this is just the way I break it down personally, but I see most books as products of four major things - storytelling, plot, characters, and prose. Rothfuss is good at storytelling, because even with my disgust for his prose, characters, and plot, I was still intrigued by the world in general and where he was going to go with it. But then I had to hack through plodding, stilted prose, dreadful and boring characters, and a meandering plot that went nowhere for pages.

You gotta get at least two of the four things right.

For me its the mystery. With most fantasy series that I start to read, I'll read everything thats been released and then mostly forget it, chances are never finishing the series (Probably not going to finish the Blood song trilogy, the scourge of the betrayer series, the Brent Weeks light series, etc. Juries out on the Gentlemen Bastard series and the Lies of Locke Lamora is one of my favourite fantasy books) Some of those books were better written / more enjoyable to read than the Kingkiller chronicles, but the only questions that arose were 'how are the heroes of do goodery going to solve this problem?"

With the Kingkiller books I have no idea why the chandrian are doing what they're doing, or how Kvothe fucks everything up. I know its going to be disappointing or stupid but it keeps me thinking about the series.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Velius posted:

The more interesting question to me is why a bunch of people who hate the books, who keep parroting how stupifyingly obvious it is that they are awful, somehow find it rewarding to post repeatedly in the thread dedicated to these books about said loathing. It's pretty much every other post in the thread at this point. Don't you have better things to talk about, for example in other threads dedicated to things you enjoy? It's just weird.

The people who hate everything about the books tend to make one post and move on. Everyone else likes or liked something about them that draws them to this series. People new to the thread read criticisms of the books and then post to defend it, drawing the people who are mildly interested in the series to bring up the old arguments. And the cycle continues.

For what its worth I think people who read the first book back in the day expected more out of the second book. It seemed like the series was smarter than maybe its turning out to be. We won't really know how this all turns out till book 3, but the books as they are have some serious flaws. I'm still interested enough to anticipate the final book.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things was legitimately terrible though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Name of the wind was published in March 2007. It was billed as the first of a trilogy. The author made statements to the effect of the whole series being complete, only needing some editing.

It is December 2015.

"Why are people whining about the book not being released?"

Why indeed.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Andrast posted:

Sounds like Rothfuss is really bad at time management if he can't get a single book out in four years while working regular job hours on it.

The maths behind this is fascinating by the way.

DISCLAIMER - This is art, so obviously these formulas are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. But they might give you a little insight into how bad at time management he could be. Also, as I point out, the man runs a charity. Hes a good person. Doesn't change...

THE MATHS

Assume that our subject Mr. P. Rothfuss writes full time 5 days a week. Assume for now that he takes no time off at all and works the job all year round. In march 2016 He will have been working on this book for a whole five years. Lets disregard the fact that he claims to have written some of this before WMF was released.

Name of the Wind is 259, 000 words long. Wise Mans Fear is 399,000 words long.

In order to write 259,000 words in five years he would have to produce the equivalent of 4,317 edited words in a month. 399,000 words would be 6,650 edited words a month. Just for fun, assuming DoS is a behemoth at 800,000 words would require 13,334 edited words per month.

But the man has a family and runs a charity. Lets knock off two months every year and assume he works full time ten months of the year.

To write 259,000 words in five years with charity and holiday he would need to write 5,180 edited words a month. 399,000 would be 7,980 edited words a month. 800,000 words would be 16,000 edited words a month.

For comparison - successful participants of NaNoWriMo manage to write 50,000 unedited words in a month (about 1,667 a day) on top of their normal jobs. I've done this once. These are unedited of course.

Just for fun, assuming he wrote at a pace equivalent of NaNoWriMo for ten months of the year for the five years he would have written 2.5 million unedited words by march 2016.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And we all wish he'd spent that time playing fallout instead

To be honest I wish that whenever I masturbated I ended up with a book that I could sell.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

I don't care if you "bow down before the throne" or not. That's your call. But being a complete rear end towards him is absolutely asinine.

This is a forum. They are not being a complete rear end towards him. He cannot see this.

And you are a twat that will go to bat for the people you spend your money on for no other reason than you are insane. In the world of Jivjov anyone who sells something to him is sacrosanct, cannot be criticized, ever. You do this everywhere. I remember you defending rape games.

You show up in a bunch of threads I read because we have similar tastes apparently and you are always sucking the thing off. Get help.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ornamented Death posted:

I actually agree with you on the books. I do not, however, like the author - I find him insufferable - and I will gladly forgo an ending to this series if it means I can watch his career wither and die in a very public way.

Other than schadenfreude why would you possibly want this?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

There's "criticism" and then there's "Rothfuss is playing video games instead of writing, where's the book, why isn't it out yet, why is he faffing about and doing AMAs instead of writing??"

Its the end of 2015, the posts about the book not being out have amplified. I wonder whats different about the end of 2015 compared to the end of 2013, when the book hadn't been out for almost three years instead of almost five years?

jivjov posted:

I heartily encourage and love to read intelligent, well-rationed criticism, especially of things that I like. But mindless frothing and self-entitlement infuriates me to no end.

TSRoST was a pile of wank and the gross sex stuff of the second book detracted from the neat adventures. Patrick Rothfuss continually being upset/annoyed that people are wondering where book three is after giving the impression when he sold the first book that the trilogy was done is unprofessional.

None of those criticisms are based on entitlement.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 14, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Poor prose and poor storytelling.

A better question: why does anyone think he is a good writer?

The prose isn't terrible and thus doesn't distract you too much while reading. The story itself has enough drama and action to keep you reading and enough interesting ideas to keep you thinking about it.

Its just if you think about it too hard it kind of all falls apart.

Just want to restate that I am actually looking forward to book 3 and enjoyed the majority of Book 2.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

What's your definition of "in progress", again, and what evidence do you have for it?

A while back (like a week ago or so) Rothfuss tweeted something like "hello 100k". If thats how much of the third book hes done (it might be something completely unrelated for all I know) hes probably finished about a third of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You have to understand, the book's sexism is part of its appeal for its "progressive" fans.

Jivjov admits that he enjoys violence, as long as it's just fiction. Likewise, Jivjov and others enjoy Rothfuss's sexism, and it's all good because it's just fiction. It's simple hypocrisy and absence of critical thought.

This is why everyone should be nihilists. If you have no values then you can never be hypocritical, and thus you can enjoy whatever you drat want.

Vote Trump.

• Locked thread