Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

The beginning of the year is going to be amazing. Rothfuss and Abercrombie are coming out with new poo poo, and Game of Thrones premiers on HBO in April.

And Dust of Dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Bantaras posted:

I really, really wanted to love this book.

Same. I would really like to get his thoughts on all the criticisms of this book. Maybe if he's made aware of some of the glaring problems he can still salvage the last bit.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

EC posted:

It's fairly clear to me that all of the (mis)adventures Kvothe gets into have an impact on the overall story, which is him finding and exacting revenge on the Chandrian for killing his family.

Except Rothfuss has said in interviews that not everything has a purpose. Something along the lines of (paraphrasing) "It's a biography. Every part of someone's life isn't about some big overarching plot."

So I'd say very little of it will have much of an impact.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Habibi posted:

It's going to turn out that he has to sex the Chandrian to death, and that all of his adventures learning sympathy / naming / how to be a ninja are going to be incidental to him literally raping the Chandrian with whispering hands.

If this were true, I would send that man so much money.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Lord Turtle posted:

I've seen a lot of fantasy books that fail at even simple setting creation, and Rothfuss manages that to a tee.

His world is disjointed and nonsensical. World-building is Tolkien, Martin, Erikson.

Rothfuss has hogwarts, ninjatown, generic inn, and faerie sexland. And gypsies.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Rare Polar Bear posted:

Still gonna read the sequel, though. So there.

It's much, much worse.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Affi posted:

For some reason I loved the Denna lovestory, she's a really interesting character and I think while Kvothe looks like a Mary Sue he isn't.

Patrick Rothfuss spotted.

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

Khizan posted:

The thing that I enjoy so much about Rothfuss' writing is how perfectly polished his prose is. Rothfuss basically spins straw into gold when he writes, turning a fairly mediocre story into this smoothly flowing work of loving art.

Actually his prose is about as purple as it gets. He may shine in comparison to R.A. Salvatore and the like but he's a pretty terrible writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk Science
Mar 4, 2008

NowonSA posted:

Now that I know there's a thread I'll be sure to pop in to discuss book 3!

See you in five years then.

• Locked thread