Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

At least ASoIaF will be finished by way of the show.

Kingkiller's TV/movie rights were picked up a couple years back (thanks largely to everyone wanting to get on the GoT gravy train) so maybe this bad Harry Potter self-insert fanfic will get an ending by way of a show as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PupsOfWar posted:

Maybe they'll go the Sword of Truth -> Legend of the Seeker route and make a generic pulp-adventure show only peripherally related to the terrible source material

Even that show was pretty awful at times. It felt like it was trying to copy Hercules and Xena but failed miserably. I never ready the books (and it sounds like that's a good thing) but the show did have the Most Evil Chicken Ever that I'd always heard about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Confer posted:

I really hope that they at least somewhat go by the source material. Although without Kvothes inner monologue I'm not sure how it will play out as a series. As long as they don't pull an Eragon I'll be happy.

Are the Eragon books actually good? After seeing the movie I never went near them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Thinking about these fantasy writers who just can't seem to finish their work, it got me thinking about MZD and his planned 27 volume series, The Familiar. He's written 5 so far, each at 880 pages, and he's been publishing about 2 a year. I haven't read them myself so I can't say if they're garbage, but I did read House of Leaves which is a goon favorite I think so I doubt they're awful. It just makes me wonder how one guy can be so absurdly prolific but others can barely manage more than blog posts.

Look at Sanderson. He's basically the anti-Rothfuss/GRRM. Aside from being a printing press wrapped in human skin, the amount of interaction and information he gives people about his progress on everything he's writing is pretty great.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Confer posted:

I personally love the way sympathy is explained. Maybe I'm slow and enjoy "terrible" literature but having a 'magic' system explained so thoroughly was nice

You'll Brandon Sanderson's books then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Confer posted:

Hate? Love? I've read a few of his but not any of the storm light archives (totally guessing here, not sure if that's actually what it's called)

You'd enjoy them. The Stormlight books are decent and the third one comes out in a couple months. A lot of people really enjoy Emperor's Soul and the recent set of short stories he released are all good. Though Secret History is something to avoid reading until after the Mistborn trilogy and probably the 3 Wax and Wayne books since it has spoilers for them (especially Mistborn).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a Sanderson trope. He establishes a mystery early on and resolves it by the end of the book or series, depending. Sometimes there are multiple mysteries at once. His writing is overly mechanical at times, but the mystery never strays far from the plot and remains an integral motivator for some or all of the characters.

I kinda like some of the stuff in Mistborn, such as how Ruin could read influence things that weren't recorded on metal, and how he used that and then a certain incident with it later on that gets some more insight in Secret History.

I suspect that the upcoming 3rd book for the Stormlight Archives might reveal a bit more information about The Thrill and likely confirm/quash some fan theories about it too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

Eh. I decided that I don't own BotL anything (especially after he came and tried to start a slap fight with me in a different thread). I like the Kingkiller books; and I don't need to justify it to anyone.

:lol::lol:

Good job making BotL's point yet again.

pentyne posted:

I'll help out: What I liked about the book was at the time when reading it Kvothe was basically an awesome badass who smacks around poo poo talkers, never gets into serious trouble,

What books were you reading? Kingkiller is basically a rube goldberg machine of Kvothe loving up and his first encounter with Ambrose involves him being a self-entitled poo poo who Ambrose dunks on so loving hard that Kvothe still can't see his own fault when retelling the story years later as an adult.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

Sorry, they suck now. Go read them again. I screwed up and should have put them in the influential category.

You also think Joe Abercrombie is better than Hobbs. First Law wasn't as bad as Kingkiller but it was painfully stupid and had the subtlety of a neon sign. The only thing from any of Hobbs' Farseer-related books that were more painful to read than First Law was the beginning of the Liveship trilogy, where everyone is competing for the title of Biggest And Most Insufferable rear end in a top hat In the Story.

Sure, Kyle wins that contest and it's not even close, but I'd take any other writing from that world's setting over First Law. Even the "I want to be done writing" feeling that the Fitz and the Fool books had was better than the dumb overarching story of First Law and bad guy "reveal" that was even more obvious than the rear end in a top hat guy becoming king. First Law's ending for its main characters couldn't have been more obvious early on if they were posted on neon billboards.

ZombieLenin posted:

What is wrong with you, Goon Sir! This is the most incorrect statement about a book series I have ever read. You are challenging my honor as a reader of only non-trash fantasy literature.

Because of this I challenge you to a Goon Duel at dawn! To the moderately tired from walking!

Seriously the Malazan books are intense and amazing, and I am someone who typically stays away from the type of fantasy fiction (or any really) that would portray gods as central characters in the story.

He's right about that D&D-campaign-turned-novel. Malazan is a goddamn mess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ulmont posted:

:goonsay: I think you mean the entirety of The Rain Wild Chronicles.

I'd forgotten that the Rain Wild books had definitely-not-another-Kyle, so yes. which is a shame because the Vestrit son had potential as a character given all the poo poo that happens to him.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Elantris has its flaws but it's still written better than anything from Rothfuss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rothfuss is a perfectly normal guy who eats hobos and buries their remains in his back yard. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I've always felt YA has primary protagonists that skew younger than 18, and non-YA has primary protagonists that are ostensible adults. That and most YA tends to be bildungsroman type stories, which makes sense if you're marketing your literature at an audience you would expect to try and push concepts on, rather than just entertain. (YMMV, of course. Nothing is absolutely on one side or the other.)

Twilight and 50 Shades are the same story, just one of them takes place in a high school and the other post-high school.

This is literally true. For anyone who doesn't know: 50 Shades started out as a Twilight fanfic. Because the original premise of David Wooderson, vampire edition, wasn't creepy enough for some people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

It is true, only a master world builder could devise something as elaborate as a calendar. :worship:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Miranda is just a huge nerd

Lots of arty theater and music nerds love Rothfuss for some reason

Probably because he's even more insufferable and pretentious than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rothfuss is such a trainwreck of a human being the thread was trying to end itself.

• Locked thread