Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

The word 'meritorious' is dumb because nobody ever gives a coherent definition of it or justifies exactly why high literature is better than trashy genre fiction. One is not better than the other, they appeal to different tastes, and it's insane to try and push your tastes on somebody else

actually, one is totally and self evidently superior, and many people have bad taste that should be destroyed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

PJOmega posted:

Thank you for the link, I try not to keep a mental catalogue of genre fiction writer's weird attitudes towards sex and people.

You should do that

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

kenny powerzzz posted:

I don't remember. Definitely not the worst thing you could do though. I watched a kid use a microphone stand as in impromptu slide at an open jam night once. With a borrowed Les Paul. That one ended quickly.

I like to play the guitar with sandpaper and an electric drill.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Did you guys think that a fantasy author would have Good views on women or something

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Well, that and with almost any other art form it's a matter of seconds for the layman to see whether the artist is any good or not.

that's not really true at all, what about all the lay people who can't tell if abstract paintings are good or bad? or like contemporary academic music?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Genre fiction" is an almost entirely modern development despite those kind of false equivocations. It's easily dismissed simply by noting that it's actually impossible to name the "genres" that Chaucer and Dickens wrote in.

Thank you.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

Everyone should read The Traitor Baru Cormorant.

It's a premiere novel that you won't feel dirty about liking a decade later.

yeah let me just read a book written by a book barn poster

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

YA books aren't actually read primarily by teenagers, their largest audience is adults from like late 20s to mid 30s.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

That seems weird. Then again I know a bunch of 30 something year olds that still play Final Fantasy where you're almost always playing as a 15 year old boy. Nope, they're both weird.

its not really weird that a bunch of adults who live in the contemporary world want to retreat into escapism with a heavy focus on 'worldbulding' and simple black and white morality, although it is obviously bad.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If that's true, it's a very recent development. Source?

this study is from 2012: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/childrens/childrens-industry-news/article/53937-new-study-55-of-ya-books-bought-by-adults.html

here's a probably less rigorous thing from the denver public library circa 2014 with higher figures for adults versus young adults: http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/19/more-adults-than-youths-are-reading-young-adult-fiction/

Corky Romanovsky posted:

That wasn't a critique of the book, moron.

nice to see people willing to discuss books in the book discussion forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ccs posted:

You didn't even critique the book though. You just read a summary and called it drivel out of hand. So I posted a similarly snarky and vapid response.

the summary makes the book sound bad

• Locked thread