Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MrFlibble posted:

Ha yeah thats what I was thinking of when writing that.

Thinking of Rothfuss and his note about how this story was different, and Stephen King with his stop reading now at the end of Dark Tower - Has any author included a note in front of a piece of work that wasn't massively insulting?

What about JRRT's thing about how the Lord of the Rings isn't an allegory for World War 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

MrFlibble posted:

The copies I read didn't have anything like that in front of the actual story (or part of the story, like stephen kings dark tower note). Is there a printing with notes at the front? If so then I guess thats not an insult seeing as how the dude actually served in a war.

There's at least one. I guess he was tired of answering letters about whether the Ring is the H-bomb or not.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

Considering how Rothfuss has made mention that after book 3 he's apparently going to do books focused on Bast, then others, yeah we won't. We'll probably get more Harry Potter fanfic with the book ended after he gets kicked out of school and sums up everything between then and the present in a couple sentences like "...and so after I got kicked out by the vulture-looking professor who always had it out for me I did [dumb thing] and [other dumb thing] then I killed [rear end in a top hat noble whose name I forget] and that started the current war."

"I killed the king and rescued the princess ... but you know all those stories already."

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Reene posted:

I actually like the food bits in books like Lies of Locke Lamora, but they a) don't go on for very long and b) are used to reveal something about the setting/culture/character he's talking about. Except that time he used an elaborate meal as a setup for a pun one-liner, which was still totally worth it.

In contrast, the food or money bits in Kingkiller are both redundant and don't really reveal anything novel or useful about either the setting or the character. They're just mindless filler, and they keep happening.

We're all going to look like such fools when Rothfuss reveals in book 3 that the Chandrian's powers come from a combination of numerology/arithmancy and temporarily buffing their power levels by binge eating pastries.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Kingkiller the breakfast cereal! Kimgkiller the flamethrower!

Personally I'm holding out for the Official Kingkiller Luthier.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Any recommendations?

N. K. Jemisin is pretty good.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Oops, forgot C. J. Cherryh as well.

Someone will (rightly) eat me alive for saying this but you can actually get a reasonable list of women writing from the Hugo/Nebula/Locus nomination lists. A bunch of these women have been on them recently. N. K. Jemisin is "famous" for being the part of a very public blowup involving the SFWA and racist abuse, so it's odd to me that more people haven't heard of her. It's sad, because she might be more known for that than for her actual writing (which I really do like).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

I wonder if adults reading YA is at all similar or related to the Japanese phenomenon of adults playing video games set in high school because it represented the last time in their life where they were truly free to express themselves before being browbeaten by Japanese corporate culture to become a soulless drone.

I'll thank you to not post my completed therapy homework.

• Locked thread