Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

I wish it were less obvious that Patrick Rothfuss created the character he wishes he was, because I really do like the first book. I'll buy and read the second book in its entirety the day it comes out.
It's "Twilight for Boys", but I guess there really isn't anything wrong with that. I'm anxiously awaiting book two as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

This is why I avoid his blog and just read his books.
I was just going to check out the post and see what the comments were like on that post. His blog seems to be down.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Beffer posted:

I find this thread at least as enjoyable as the books. I agree with all the criticisms made, especially the Rothfuss is weird about women comments. But I still got a lot of guilty pleasure from the books and will happily read the next one (or two or three - I doubt he'll be able to bring himself to wrap it up in one).

For content, and to fill out your knowledge of Patrick Rothfuss, here he is playing D&D with a bunch of other fantasy authors. Even among this uncomfortable bunch, Rothfuss seems the creepiest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFy8wWQ1tdw
I just want to point out that Scott Lynch is in this video as well. I bet that most people already know that he has crawled out of his hole recently, but at least this is video proof.

I went to a book signing that he was at this past Spring... he seemed like a fairly well-rounded guy.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Patrick Rothfuss does not want to see The Hobbit
https://www.facebook.com/Patrick.Rothfuss/posts/10151361165373524

I wonder if we'll get another creepy blog post about it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

TheFarSide posted:

I read Name of the Wind a few years ago and enjoyed it for what it was, and when I decided to finally check out Wise Man's Fear, I decided I'd go through Name of the Wind again to refresh my memory. I've been driving a lot recently and thought I may as well do it on audio book, and continued this route for Wise Man's Fear. The narrator, Nick Podehl, breathed a new life into the book for me. If anyone had difficulties continuing through either book, give the audio a shot. He does one of the better jobs I've ever heard. His character voices are consistent, recognizable, and bring a new dimension to the text. The accents are fantastic. It still wasn't enough to make me care about multiple hours of audio with Felurian, but nobody's perfect.
The only thing that I had a problem with his reading was that in my head (and the audiobook for the Name of the Wind) Elodin sounded like El-oh-din. But in the second book he pronounces it as E-loh-din with a hard E. I'm used to it now, but it took me a while to accept that.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

TheFarSide posted:

Cropped a bit out from the chapter for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nWJ8qZ_mYk
I've never seen that artwork in the video before... is there more like it?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

jivjov posted:

How in the world would he ruin the new Torment game? He's one writer among many, and presumably not in charge of the "main" thrust of the content of the game.
The Nameless One will enter Lolth's realm and level up his spider sex skills.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
What are the chances of having this chronicled (:v:) outside the forums on a blog or something like that? I'd like to share this takedown.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Benson Cunningham posted:

I feel like Lies of Locke Lamora would have been a ridiculously good show on HBO.
I have always felt that the parallel timelines that meet up halfway through the first book would come across much better on the small screen.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Minor detail out of all of this crap, but:

quote:

The everyday lack of my music was like a toothache I had grown used to. I could live with it.
Anyone who has ever had a toothache knows that it doesn't work this way. You don't get used to it. poo poo gets worse, you now have an abscess and you double-over in agony until it's removed/released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Not really sure how I feel about this. http://deadline.com/2016/11/lin-manuel-miranda-the-kingkiller-chronicle-movie-tv-show-1201861224/

• Locked thread