Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And apparently he doesn't get the girl either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Denna is an annoying character and I can't wait for Kvothe to kill her. He'll probably whine about how hard it was on him as well and it will be hilarious. What won't be hilarious is when he kills Simm.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

So I'm reading Wise Man's Fear for the first time. Jesus Christ the Felurian bit is just cringeworthingly bad.

Hope you like 200 pages of random stupid names for things.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked the second book more than the first, but I hated huge sections of the second more than the first. Its really odd when I think back on it. Sex nymph minus the Ctheah (hands down the most interesting part and all of two paragraphs) and the Adem were just the hands down worst parts of the entire series. He skips over pirates and shipwrecks but then gives us thousands of words describing fake sex/fighting training. And now I honestly don't think he can wrap everything up in just one more book. I don't think I have more than one more in me of this series to be honest.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I hate Denna as a character because I find her totally uninteresting, but I didn't think it was that cringe worthy with their last meeting. She didn't trust Kvothe anymore because he ran around banging chicks when he got back while starting to buy into his own hype and then he blirted out "LOVE ME!" because he's a spergy idiot. Still no explanation of why she couldn't breathe though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think I made a mistake rereading these recently. For some reason I thought the new book was coming out this year, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Denna is like the fantasy world version of a manic pixie dream girl. Evrybody loves her and no man can have her and she's, like, super smart and super talented and super amazing and guys you just don't know!

If anyone has ever seen the show Bones she is the print version of Angela. I can't wait until Kvothe fucks the entire world up for this one chick he has spent maybe one full month's worth of time with.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

You see it's nothing amazing, just a clever sympathetic link that he thought of between the wheat and the scythe. He just separates his brain into three pieces, links the moon to the wheat and the wheat to the scythe, then it's just a matter of giving it a little push.

Also while he's out in the field a Wheat Maiden discovers him and teaches him all about the art of Wheat Love

He lowered himself into Heart of Stone before allowing his subconscious to slip into Turning Leaf. He then used both Break Bear and Stuttering Child to draw out the essence of the wheat.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

drat, I just saw The Slow Regard of Silent Things and thought it came out too. Let us know if there are enough worthwhile stories to pick it up though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So Bast's life is pretty much what I expected. Also, was this the first time "gently caress" was written in the story?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think thats a pretty safe bet. That silly song is what basically comes right out and says it: "Make my wife not tally a lot less" compared to Natalia Lackless.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You know the old saying, " If it's a minority worthy of Hitler's hate, they're worthy of yours!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Edema Ruh are awful people though. Who the hell offers a thirsty traveler wine first?!?! Jerks.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I personally liked the second book more than the first. It was bloated and skimming parts of it are more than acceptable, but the present day inn portions, the hunt for the bandits/fight, and the Maer portions (not to mention the nearly half book absence of Denna) makes it a pretty good read. Felurian and the Adem dragged on though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I didn't really find the Felurian and Adem stuff that awkward. I just found it incredibly boring and honestly a bit condescending. Just rambling off retarded names of sexual/fighting positions with no explanation of anything felt a lot like talking to someone who works in a different field than you and doesn't know how to make their story interesting. Like having to read 200 pages of me explaining annuity rider options.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Velius posted:

I'm sick and abed, and thus not really up to defending a fantasy series I don't feel that strongly about in the first place, at least when we're at the thousand word diatribe level. Accordingly, all I'll say is that your constant references to how Kvothe is an awesome barkeep and is super rich (for the area) and awesome at everything have now made me think of Kvothe as Dalton from Roadhouse. And I don't really have a problem with that.

I thought he'd be taller.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MrFlibble posted:

Any chance you can explain the scam? I'm glad theres going to be no money issues in book 3 but for the life of me I have no idea how the tuition scam is supposed to work. So he gets a high tuition and the Maer pays for it, how come he gets a kickback the higher the tuition is?

He worked a deal out with the bursar that he gets half of anything over 20 talents. And don't hold your breathe. Once he's thrown out of the university its gonna be back to nonstop talking about ripping off shop keepers and scamming rooms by being super smart and good at music.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the bursar just tacks the additional amount on to the bill they send the Maer. The University gets more than its fair share since Kvothe is bombing his evaluation on purpose and Kvothe gets a chunk that they are over billing the Maer for. So really the Maer is getting hosed and everyone else is coming out ahead.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I don't know. Why does Kvothe skip over pirates and shipwrecks to talk at length about boring loving sex demons? How come you need an individual hair to make a not voodoo doll to perform malfeasance, but he can just stab a random dead dude to kill like 13 other people?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Velius posted:

Because one body is really similar to another, a cloth doll is not very similar to a person, I would venture.

I figured it had to belong to that person to affect them directly. Like why wouldn't you be able to just use some of your blood, bind it to some other person, and then boil it. Or just bleed some homeless person and use theirs to fight any one else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that's my point. He stabbed some dead dude to kill other living dudes. Why would you ever need one specific person's blood, hair, fingernails, pee, etc. if you can just use some other person's stuff and bind it to anyone else. I must be missing something, but I thought they pretty much said you need a specific person's fluids to malfeasance the hell out of them.

Eh, what ever. I don't really care.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kvothe is the one with the blank check, the dude who's tuition its based on, and who brought the idea to him. Why wouldn't he get cut in?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would love it if he gets thrown out of the University with in the first 50 pages of the next book....but its probably gonna be 750 pages setting up his expulsion and repairing his relationship with Denna.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Karnegal posted:

Except the parts that were exactly the way they were described - Felurian, calling the lightning down on the bandits, being trained by the Adem. The book is really inconsistent about the idea that these are all legends. The most impressive ones are pretty much exactly true, and the poo poo that no one would ever care about in reality (getting whipped and not bleeding) are the only ones that are really exaggerated. Burning down the town is pretty much the only case for a misinterpreted event turning to "legend." The whole thing sort of falls apart because the events that are supposedly being misinterpreted only happened 10 years prior. They make no sense because a lot of them have ample eye witnesses. It's just not how legends and folklore work.

Well Slenderman is a thing and it certainly is less than 10 years old with tons of goons knowing the origin and yet we still get kids stabbing each other to please him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can't wait for all new Kvothe adventures with lacking money! So far he has done precisely 2 cool things: killed a bunch of bandits with magic and fought a drugged up not dragon with magic. I'm hoping the next book is all about the awesome poo poo that people talk about him for because another solid book of pining and bitching about being poor just ain't gonna cut it.

Plus I'm way more interested in the present day stuff than his story. Bast is awesome and I want more stories in the world after all this boring stuff is done.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mallamp posted:

The point is that he didn't actually do that much awesome poo poo. I'd drop the series if I were you...

Uhhhhhhhh, he really did kill a bunch of bandits with magic, really did get schooled by a super secretive fighting culture, really did fight a dragon thing, really did get put on trial and win, and really did gently caress a sex demon and survive. Rothfuss is honestly loving everything up if he was trying to go for "I fell rear end backwards into success" with Kvothe.

edit:
Oh! He also really is one of the best sympathists, really is one of the best musicians, and really is one of the best artificers. I'm sure I'm missing some stuff, but honestly the stupid impressive things everyone claimed he did pretty much happpened the way they were told. At least so far.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm just eagerly awaiting the 3rd book because then Rothfuss can hopefully write more about the world he created and waaaaaay less about Kvothe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So I read the Bast short story and thought it was ok. Bast is one of my favorite characters in the main books and it was fun seeing things the way he sees them for a bit. Did he seem written a lot like Kvothe to anyone else though? The constant thoughts of how he would set something up or trick someone seemed a bit Kvothe-y. Makes me wonder how good the Auri novella will be. I guess we'll finally see if Rothfuss can write from a female perspective.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There is no way Ambrose is the king he's gonna kill. It's just too convenient. Personally I think it's gonna be the King of Vintas since his sword's name is for the break in a Vintas line and the tree killed a butterfly with the same colors as Vintas' king. Short of a King Ralph-esque tragedy, I don't think Ambrose will be sitting on the throne anytime soon. Maybe he's king in the present day or something though. I don't know...

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

Haha no. There will be some hand wringing in a blog post about how the story deserves larger treatment and how much more there is to be told that the fans want to hear etcetc. The end result will be a bunch more Kvothe books.

Rothfuss will become the new GRRM.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wittgen posted:

Absolutely this. I love stories within stories. Does anyone know other good examples? I loved Princess Bride and House of Leaves, but surely there are other great meta-stories.

Your comment gave me a thought. There are a lot of tantalizing, mysterious truths hidden within stories within stories within stories. Similarly, there are several tantalizing, mysterious treasures located within boxes within boxes. I could be massively misremembering, but isn't the Lackless box implied to contain the box which contains the moon's name? If so, there is the truth of the war which basically formed the world, and it is contained within the story the lady tells Kvothe inside the story Kvothe tells the chronicler. Then there is the stolen treasure that sparked the war locked in a box which is sealed inside a different box. I like the parallel layering.

Then there is whatever is in Kvothe's chest. That chest is in the tavern which feels a bit like a container. The of course there are the mysterious doors within the library within the academy.

Ugh, the more I remember this stuff the more I realize there isn't going to be just one more book. This is gonna spiral into a new ASoIaF isn't it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My problem with the sex fairy portion was it was hundreds of pages long and exactly one interesting thing happened during it. And that interesting thing was like 4 paragraphs long.

Same with the Adem.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Somewhat Interesting Trees Chronicles.

Well there have been 2 somewhat interesting trees and 0 king killing so I'd say that is an apt description so far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's supposedly coming out next year right? With the Auri novella coming out this fall.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe it was plotted out all the way to the end and not totally written. Or maybe his first draft was horrible and his publishers said no. Or maybe he scrapped the whole thing and is rewriting it because aliens possesed his body and he needs to add more subliminal messages about how much fun it is being fed into their chemical harvesters.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm just saying poo poo happens and they'll be out when they'll be out. My sincere belief is that its not going to be a trilogy and we may not ever see the end of this thing. I don't really see how he can wrap everything up in one book unless there is not a single wasted chapter and poo poo starts happening right from the beginning.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rothfuss lied. Goons cried.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The one on the left is signing "cautious optimism. " If they really wanted to be impressive they should have worn the whites.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Book Barn> Patrick Rothfus: The Hobb Megathread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah I liked the Bast story. He's one of my favorite characters. The Auri novella is either going to be very interesting or very boring and I think will show just how good/mediocre of an author Rothfuss truly is.

• Locked thread