Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

mabbott74 posted:

Some people just seem that they go into books with the thought "ok, how can I bash this popular book to make myself seem like some iGenius."

I must have missed the forum rule where we aren't allowed to post unless we love everything about a subject and have no criticisms. Some of us are able to appreciate the novel while simultaneously thinking it is at times totally loving ridiculous. People tend to complain about things they like because they think it could be better. Maybe that's backseat driving and nonsense to you but it doesn't mean it's done with ill intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think I'm getting off the train at this stop unfortunately. I finished the book and while I love his prose the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere. By the end of book 2 in a trilogy with these kinds of page counts I would expect to have some proper idea where we're headed. Despite his claims to the contrary this doesn't seem to be planned out in the slightest, WMF felt like he just threw everything at the wall to see what would stick. It's a shame because I love his style of writing but the seemingly directionless story is putting me to sleep.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bizob posted:

Says the poster with a Dark Tower avatar. (I kid, I kid)

I can see where you are coming from, I just think this wasn't intended as an "epic" in the sense that most fantasy series are.

Hah, touche sir. Actually the lack of "epic" was what kind of drew me to it in the first place, it seemed a lot more modest in its scope. I guess I just find the current time Kvothe stuff a lot more interesting and I'm disappointed that he hasn't really gone anywhere with it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fallorn posted:

Ambrose is the king he already has moved up in line of succession in the books. Kvothe hates him, and it has been set up since the first book. Ambrose is the reason for the stupid "trial" against Kvothe because of his place in the royal hierarchy.

I tend to agree, its been foreshadowed a few times and he wasn't exactly subtle about it either. The continual conflicts with Ambrose make more sense in that context as well considering Kvothe magically makes a fool of almost everyone else.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

You really think he'll stop at 3?

Haha no. There will be some hand wringing in a blog post about how the story deserves larger treatment and how much more there is to be told that the fans want to hear etcetc. The end result will be a bunch more Kvothe books.

• Locked thread