Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I know these books are worse than cancer and anyone that reads them should die from anal bleeding, but tossing this out there for the troglodytes that would be interested in such things: you can preorder signed copies of both Kvothe books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I wish it wasn't virtually impossible to get any kind of up-to-date news about Lynch's next book.

Edit: Apparently he turned in a draft early last year so there's at least a chance that the February release date is real, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 21, 2011

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dramatika posted:

A bit off topic, but I have the first Locke Lamora book, but haven't started it yet due to fear of a GRRM type situation... How pissed off am I going to be if I start reading the series?

The second book ends on a pretty big cliffhanger.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Wait, is the book coming out in March or November?

March. It'd be kind of weird to do a book tour eight months before the books is released.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Yes and that would have nothing to do with the 30 years of experience you just stated. Let's come back to this thread in 2037 and see how the two (or three if you want to toss Martin in, he's been writing longer than Jordan) compare since they'll be on even footing, experience-wise, by that point.

Wow I just looked at Jordan's bibliography and he put out the first four WoT books in less than three years. That's likely why it seems to have taken him "longer" (in terms of books published) to start backsliding - he just didn't take a break for a long rear end time. Once he did, the series took a turn for the worse.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I don't think Rothfuss is self aware so much as he's just open to criticism. Unlike a lot of fantasy authors, he doesn't view his work as sacrosanct and can admit when something is a tad on the ridiculous side.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It looks like there's a pretty good chance there will be a delay before the third book as Pat's dad's lung cancer has come back. His mom died from the same thing right before the first book, and that was part of the reason for the delay of the second book.

Poor guy, every time he releases a book someone close to him gets lung cancer :(.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is why I avoid his blog and just read his books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

On the flip side, how many fantasy and sci-fi authors don't have issues?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Maxwells Demon posted:

Brandon Sanderson seems like he's too busy writing to pack his closet with any skeletons. Unless you consider Mormonism an issue (which it eventually became for Orson Scott Card).

I think some of the more deeply conservative aspects of it will become issues at some point. He's already had to walk back his stance on gay marriage, for example.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hughlander posted:

Any word on when book 3 is coming to town?

2013 at the earliest. Probably much later if Rothfuss actually tries to finish everything up in one book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Above Our Own posted:

Yeah and that reason is really lovely and doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny and it's unbelievable that anyone as advanced as the Adem would believe that.

You know what? No. It's not that unbelievable. Look at how advanced America is, and then look at some of the batshit crazy things people still believe. Rothfuss makes a lot of dumb mistakes in his writing, but having an "advanced" civilization have some silly, backwards beliefs is not one of them. He's just writing from his own experiences.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bizob posted:

Keep in mind that he lives in rural Wisconsin.

Which only really strengthens my point :v:.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Above Our Own posted:

Uh, there's a huge difference between a few fringe nutjobs think and what an entire nation believes to be true. You realize that the Adem are presented as a technologically and spiritually advanced culture with millenia of history and not just a few ninja tribes out in the mountains, right?

I wasn't talking about fringe nutjobs. Somewhere around 25% of Americans think the President of the United States isn't an American. About 20% of Americans believe the sun revolves around the earth, that the lottery is a sound financial investment, and that alien abductions really happen. Really I could go on and on about crazy poo poo that a respectable percentage of Americans, far more than can be categorized as fringe nutjobs without really straining the definition of that term beyond the breaking point, think is true.

My point is that latching onto a silly belief that the Adem Kvothe has interacted with hold, and running it into the ground like so many of you are doing, is absurd. Advanced cultures have silly beliefs, this is nothing new. There are so many other major problems with the writing in these books that it's kind of silly how much effort has been spent on a non-issue like this :).

quote:

Side note, when you come across something in a book that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, it's okay to say hey wow the author really dropped the ball in this area. You don't have to invent a bunch of complicated theories that have no basis in the text to make a concept or plot point believable. That's the author's job.

Absolutely. But it's also important not to hold weird as hell double standards. A relatively advanced culture having a squirrelly belief throws you out of the story, but a giant fire-breathing lizard hopped on smack is A-OK? Come on, now.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Next year at the absolute earliest. I really wouldn't expect anything until 2014, though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Above Our Own posted:

Also it's revealed that Kvothe's mother was a runaway highborn woman, and that Natalia Lockless ran away with an Edema Ruh trouper. It's pretty conclusive.

There's also the fact that he keeps saying the other Lackless woman seems terribly familiar to him, but he can never put his finger on it.

Which is actually kind of odd considering how super-human Kvothe's reasoning typically seems to be.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Benson Cunningham posted:

This whole thing is a book two spoiler.

Was it fairly obvious to anyone else that Kvothe killed some dudes during the pirate attack off page? He is way less phased about the first murder we see on the page later than is typical in a fantasy book. Some of that can be Bast hurrying him past the bad parts, but I still think he would have mentioned something about it being the first time he killed a dude if it had been (with the guys in the woods).

At least that's my take on it, which would be an interesting thing for Rothfuss to do.

I'm fairly certain Rothfuss is saving that whole adventure for a short story/novella somewhere down the line. I know for a fact he owes one to SubPress because Bill Schafer bought one of those golden ticket things a couple years back during Rothfuss's big charity event, so it might turn up there if he decides to do a Kvothe story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Haraksha posted:

I'm aware. Do the conditions under which he wrote the story make it more interesting?The story has to stand on its own merits. I can't even tell you how many creative writing teachers told me, "Don't write something just because it really happened or it's based in fact. Write something that's actually interesting."

Someone finds all of this interesting, otherwise Rothfuss's books wouldn't have shown up on the NYT bestsellers list. I'd say Rothfuss took similar advice to heart and made a boatload of money off of it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm just going to drop this here.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pakman posted:

I honestly don't remember what happened at that part; what'd he do besides murder them all on his way back from the Adem. At least I think that's when it happened.

It's been about a year since I read the book, but I think this is the gist:

He keeps doing things that would be serious social faux pas for the Ruh, but the guys he's with never say anything, leading Kvothe to conclude they are not Edeme Ruh. Which is true, they are bandits that pretend to be Ruh to rob towns and kidnap girls. Kvothe then proceeds to wreck their poo poo on a pretty epic level.

That was one of the more enjoyable sections of the book, actually.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Srice posted:

Also important to note that there have been some delays due to family matters (IIRC he mentioned one of his relatives had cancer).

It's a rather understandable reason for a delay, especially in comparison to say, being really sad that your favorite football team lost a game.

The thing with Rothfuss was that part of his original pitch was that the series was already written so there wouldn't be any lengthy delays between books. I certainly don't disagree that having one parent pass away and the other go through a cancer recurrence would gently caress anyone up, but it shouldn't have had much effect on the publication schedule outside of minor delays to any signing tours that were being planned. Instead he decided to turn that into a complete rewrite of the second and third books, causing massive delays.

And really, that's fine. It's his work and apparently his publisher doesn't mind too much. As a fan of epic fantasy, I kind of expect to wait years between books in a series, but I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't disappointed with the whole thing. The Name of the Wind was a damned fine book and believing I'd see the end of the series within a few years was pretty awesome at the time.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm ok with an author taking as long a they need to take to finish a book. There's enough out there to read to keep me entertained in the interim.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tayacan posted:

So no, it wasn't quite "almost done" in 2007. ;)

You're right, it wasn't "almost done", it was "written all the way through to the end". This is from his April 18, 2007 blog:

Pat Rothfuss posted:

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.

I guess we can argue over what he's saying, but there's a world of difference between "I have a good draft but there's a lot of blanks to fill in" and "poo poo's done, ready for editing!"

Now again, the fact that he needs more time to write the books doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when Rothfuss basically lies about what he's said in the past without having the decency to go back and edit what he's said in the past when it's so easy to look up :).

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Is there any news about Doors of Stone? I haven't followed Rothfuss's blog for a while since it was clear the book was still a long way off.

Nope. I wouldn't expect the book until late next year at the absolute earliest, and realistically not until sometime in 2015.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's because Rothfuss himself is involved. And look at the $150k stretch goal.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

jivjov posted:

I seem to remember a blog post by Rothfuss saying something to the effect of "well I had an outline written, and a lot of the early stuff written, but I've had to do lots of rewrites and fleshing out since the original draft was from my college days"

Basically 'I had it all written' wasn't a lie, just an exaggeration.

There are blog posts that state what you just said, and there are blog posts that say the story was 95% done and only minor editing was needed.

What probably happened was that he had a complete first draft done for the whole thing, but let the success of the first book go to his head and decided to rewrite everything.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are you waiting patiently for Doors of Stone, a book that was supposedly written 10+ years ago but apparently didn't include enough hot sex so it has to be substantially rewritten? Well I have bad news for you: according to Pat's recent AMA, he's planning to write nearly 200k words worth of other stories before finishing the third book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

pentyne posted:

This is the bane of readers everywhere when an author develops a moderate following or becomes internet famous, suddenly a host of other writing opportunities and PR gigs take precedence over finishing their novels.

Eh, delays usually don't bother me too much; an author can take as long as they want to write their books. Rothfuss specifically pisses me off because he's changed his story about the level of completeness of his series several times throughout the years and pulled the old "no you misunderstood me" bullshit excuse when called on it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Quote is not edit...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I suspect Kvothe's activities in the present fixing everything will be another series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bumping this because there's a new Kingkiller book coming out this year. It's not Doors of Stone, but I suppose it'll do.

quote:

A companion novella to Patrick Rothfuss’ bestselling Kingkiller Chronicle novels, The Slow Regard of Silent Things shares an enchanting new perspective on the Four Corners realm.

Renowned as a bastion of knowledge, the University draws the brightest minds to unravel the mysteries of enlightened sciences, such as artificing and alchemy. Yet deep below its bustling halls lies a complex web of abandoned rooms and ancient passageways. In the heart of this cavernous maze is a young woman named Auri, who calls this Underthing her home.

Formerly a student at the University, Auri now spends her days tending to the world around her. She knows that some mysteries are better settled and safe. No longer fooled by the sharp rationality so trusted by those above her, Auri sees beyond the surface of things, into subtle dangers and hidden names.

At once joyous and haunting, The Slow Regard of Silent Things is a richly atmospheric and lyrical tale, featuring one of the most beloved characters from Rothfuss’ acclaimed fantasy series.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I'm looking at this as kind of a test for Rothfuss. I love the world he's built, but I only want to read more about Kvothe inasmuch as I want that story to be over with so Rothfuss can move the gently caress on and stop wanking over the character he's been writing for 20 years. I'm hoping Kvothe gets nothing more than a mention, if that, in this novella.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I've never understood that criticism about BotNS. Even if you only look at the very surface of the story, a lot of poo poo happens in Shadow of the Torturer.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

PaulDirac posted:

Serious? I never experienced it as that extreme at all. Compared to a vast majority of literature, Fitz's troubles were a cake walk.

Yeah, I've never understood that criticism. Sure, Fitz goes through a lot of poo poo, but it's nothing compared to what, say, the protagonist(s) in a Tad Williams book go through.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anathenema posted:

Prince of Thorns was well-written, but I feel it tries a little too hard. Plus, the author's a loving creep, so there's that.

What? Mark Lawrence writes some messed-up stuff on occasion, but he's pretty far from a creep. Most of what he posts online is just raffles for copies of his books, with proceeds going to the hospice service his daughter uses, or goofy contests for the same books.

Edit: I get the impression you're confusing Prince of Thorns with The Prince of Nothing.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 27, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anathenema posted:

Usually, sure. But there was that time he sicced his fanbase on another author for tweeting that she didn't like his book.

Without digging through his blog archive, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess this was one of several cases where he quoted a "review" that made a lot of blatantly false claims about his books because they didn't bother to read past the first ten pages. From there his fans probably dog-piled on whoever he called out, which is unfortunate, but hardly makes him a creep.

It's more likely he just didn't realize that would happen because he didn't know how terrible people online are. He doesn't do this anymore, instead choosing to discuss parts of emails he receives, keeping the authors of those emails anonymous.

quote:

We have reached the point where "was a jerk on the internet once" is seriously a disclaimer being used?

It's just an example of how ridiculous the fandom of sci-fi and fantasy has gotten. There's a group of people (and I'll include myself here) that won't read anything by certain writers based on a history of being a worthless human being (Card and Simmons being two frequently brought up). There's a decent argument to be made here for separating the artist from their work, but it's been covered numerous times elsewhere on this forum so I won't get in to it other than to say that I think both sides have valid points.

However, other people have gone way, way too far with this and will vilify anyone that has ever made any sort of mistake or said something without thinking about it first, even if they immediately issued a retraction or apology. I mean, seriously, just look at anathema's argument: "Sure, that guy does a lot to raise money for children's hospices, but gently caress him, he's a creep because he once did a mean thing on twitter."

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 27, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

anathenema posted:

In this case, it was a reviewer tweeting that she read it and didn't care for what she perceived as a lack of female agency. At which point, he did exactly what you said and exactly that happened. I thought it was pretty gross, considering she requested he not do that and he more or less just giggled at her.

Wait. This reviewer wrote a negative review, or had something negative to say, then specifically called Lawrence's attention to it on the supremely public forum that is Twitter, and was then upset when he and his fans responded? I mean, it's a dick move if he called for a response, no doubt, but you have to be kind of dumb to not expect some level of response if you're baiting someone like that.

Edit: For clarity's sake, since that up there toes the line of victim-blaming, I see nothing wrong with challenging the validity of the reviewer's claims. Since this is the internet and people are horrible, I'm sure it was a lot worse than that, and gently caress anyone that took it any farther than a purely academic argument.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 27, 2014

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

MrFlibble posted:

It always happens when the author of a series takes too long to put out the next installment (although curiously I don't see much hate for Scott Lynch). But ten chapters about fairy loving rarely help matters.

Lynch typically gets a pass because he was dealing with actual psychological issues. Rothfuss and GRRM, on the other hand, are taking forever because they keep getting tied up with other stuff.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BananaNutkins posted:

I got money that the only resolution we'll get is Kvothe getting his name back, and a tease for the next trilogy.

I think this has been the plan all along, honestly. The frame story is about a historian searching for the truth behind the legend of Kvothe and finding it. Once Kvothe finishes telling that story, the Kingkiller Trilogy itself is essentially over and ready to move on to the Kvothe Saves the World trilogy or whatever.

Basically Rothfuss is never going to stop writing about Kvothe and that is tragic because he's talented but will never really accomplish anything if he can't move past his mary-sue character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For the record, WMF (993 pages) is only a bit over twice as long as Skin Game (464 pages). And there was a great deal of backlash towards Jim over how it's been taking him longer and longer to write his books, so much so that he exploded at someone on his forum over it. Granted, that was for Cold Days, but the meat of the message is the same (and, honestly, applies just as much to Rothfuss).

Tolkien is not a great comparison, either, because while it took him nearly 20 years to write LotR, it was published in its entirety in a year. Further, you need to remember that Rothfuss has been working on this series for like 20 years or so. When NotW was first published, he made a huge deal about how the other two books were substantially complete and only walked that back when he realized (or was told by his editor) that what he wrote as a college student was worthless as anything more than a detailed outline.

GRRM is actually a pretty apt comparison because both authors tend to be easily distracted by other projects. Don't get me wrong, Rothfuss (and GRRM, for that matter) can take as long as he wants to finish the series, I have plenty to read in the meantime, but arguing that his current pace is anything short of glacial is laughable.

• Locked thread