Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

I bought this leather sleeve for $10 and it's good enough for me.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2LG2WK

I have the official Amazon Paperwhite case and don't really care for it. It's bulky and I end up taking the reader out when I read anyway. This fits the bill, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Wow! Lots of unread posts. Must be a new Kindle!

Oh, carry on...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Well drat. I went for the gen 2 PW trade-in...Amazon tells me they will give me up to $73.09 for it. That's a deal folks (it was in a case the entire time and looks brand new). Luckily I have the original box and never used the USB cable, so it should meet their "mint" requirements.

Sent if off today. With the 300ppi sale and seeing as I still have the Amazon case for it, I may get the new one. The physical dimensions are identical between gen 2 and 3, right?

Not bad paying $25.91 to get the higher res version after like 1.5 years of owning the gen 2 one...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Any news on the rumored Voyage refresh? Tomorrow the 21st marks a year since the OG Voyage was released. Supposedly it has a new eink "Regal" screen, which may be worth waiting for.

Internet tells me it will carry the same $199 Voyage price, which is a premium of course vs the PW but a far cry from the original Kindle $500 price...(I still have mine).

Applying my $73 trade-in credit to a new Voyage makes since, providing it lands at some point this year.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SB35 posted:

Paperwhite is $30 off for prime members today. Go get it!

Nice. I did get that $73 trade-in credit for sending in my gen 2 PW. Was in mint condition, but I'm surprised they actually valued it so high as it was like 1.5 yrs old. Must need "refurbs" for warranty claims? Not sure.

The $89 higher resolution panel PW is interesting, but I'm going to wait it out in hopes a Voyage gen2 lands soon.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I keep hovering over the buy button on the Voyage, but wasn't it due for a rumored refresh last Nov? I know eReaders are pretty basic but if there is a new panel or whatever on the horizon, I'd like to wait it out. Any news on that front?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

https://twitter.com/JeffBezos/status/717033781589204992

I'd kill for a new DX with modern technology. Especially if they can figure out a way to make it not top heavy.

The trade in value on Amazon for a Kindle DX is... $5 :stonk:

Sad indeed. That thing was ahead of its time.

Bring back the DX and release an updated Voyage Bezos! Especially before my $20 discount expires!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 5, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Yeah they are going for a grip. I like it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Let me guess...the case (which is essential) will be an extra, say, $59. Hmm.

Is this thing supposed to be announced today or "sometime this week?"

Edit: also, that off-center display...already triggered :spergin:

Edit2: another leak, just taken by me:

Yes, I still have the OG...I paid like $500 for the loving thing many moons ago. So, no bitching about the price of Kindles these days, okay?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 11, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I do wish, for some reason, that the back-lighting tint would follow the "blue light wrecks your sleep" trend (f.lux, night shift, etc) that's upon us.

I no longer have my PW2, but I do recall the light being very bluish-white, which seems to be bad for night time reading, given the anti-blue light "science" that's now a thing. Should have a "night" option like the Kindle Fires that change the white point to a more orange/yellow/red tint, no?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
$289 and the same panel as the Voyage? Hmm, I think the refurb Voyage for $152 is a better idea...am I wrong here?

Edit: I have a $20 kindle trade-in credit on my account. It applies to any new (not refurb'd) Kindle.

Doesn't apply to the Oasis. Ok.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 13, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

Since it doesn't look like it has the glass front like the Voyage I was expecting it to fit in a middle slot between the PW and Voyage, not a new top tier. No thanks.

It has the same design:

Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, the micro-etched glass screen is crafted to eliminate glare and feel like paper to the touch.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Snagged a refurb Voyage and bear motion slip case. Works for me. The oasis is a confusing product at it's price-point, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Avocados posted:

How does the oasis work for lefties? :pwn:

Flip it around, screen rotates.

Same, really.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Can you imagine the margins on this thing? Reach into the 300ppi panel parts bin, snap it together. Design a battery case.

Twice the price. I know they are a for profit enterprise, but this is a bit too much of a Wall Street darling, IMO.

If it had an improved panel with "f.lux" style lighting (warmer Kelvin for night) or something else compelling, I'd bite. Just feels like a wedge paperwhite/voyage to me.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 13, 2016

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
"Refurb" Voyage arrived yesterday. You cannot convince me this thing isn't brand new. It's perfect and honestly I don't get the fervor over the new Oasis. It's a single function device with such similar features/appearance, I don't see how the new one justifies double the cost. Believe me when I say I'm always buying the "latest and greatest" whatever gadget. Not this time.

That's my story, anyway.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ember looks great. Open Dyslexic? That's a new one...I'm not Dyslexic, but I sure hope Amazon pushes these new fonts to the Voyage and doesn't hold them hostage to buying a new device to get them. I guess they will eventually make their way to older models once they sell a lot of Oasis units...

Or I can see some Dyslexia awareness group getting all pissy about Amazon limiting that font to the new model only.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

chippy posted:

I could be wrong and I don't have my PW on me to check, but I'm reasonably sure Open Dyslexic is already available on all the current generation models at least.

e: Looks like it. http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/02/02/kindle-update-v5-7-2-adds-open-dyslexic-font-new-home-page-screenshots/

drat, you are right...I didn't even look at my Voyage. Derp.

Need Ember though. Looks nice. Maybe it will happen, eventually after they sell a lot of Oasis models, I suppose.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

8one6 posted:

Whelp, after 6 years of service, a storage upgrade, and a replacement battery I can say that my first gen nook is now completely dead.

Take into a B&N store, say you changed your mind and need to return for a refund. Be sure to video the encounter.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Grawl posted:

So my Kobo Aura ONE arrived today. I love how bright/big the screen is. Doesn't work right out of the box with Calibre, but if you enabled experimental features in Calibre it works just fine.

They are really on to something with the "reduce blue light at night" feature. This is where Amazon is really behind. I hate the blue-hospital tempature light of my Voyage at night. Nightshift, f-lux, etc, have made me want different lightning temperatures at night, and it's not going away. It's what people want with all devices nowadays.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

goodness posted:

Refurb Paperwhites are $80 and Voyages are $120 right now on Amazon. Both about 27% off today.

I think I'll get a paperwhite finally. What's the goon recommended cover, and should I hold off for cybermonday?

e: Paperwhites will be $99 starting November 20. I've never bought a refurbished thing but I don't see $20 more being worth it.

I bought a refurbished Kindle Voyage a few months ago and there's no way you could convince me it was not a brand new unit. Zero risk with Amazon's return policy.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just use a cheap sleeve for my Voyage as reading "naked" is too good, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NON01OK/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tamba posted:

That means that the 3G hardware is still working normally, but the network doesn't like your device anymore. I don't think there's anything you can do other than complain to amazon that the "free 3G forever" didn't actually last as long as the device.

poo poo the Sprint connection on my original (as in the first ever) Kindle still works. It has to since it doesn't have Wi-Fi.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Still has the steel blue light? Cool, getting a Kobo now!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Has anyone else been using the Boox Palma? Mine arrived a few days ago, and has been great for reading these dead forums.

Best Buy finally restocked them today, so I ordered for next week delivery. Should be great with the Kindle app and Moon+. Curious to see how the document scanning works. It looks like a neat little device.

The Audible app will install and run on this thing, right? It would be nice to use this as a Kindle/Audible/PDF reader. Since it runs Android 11, is it safe to say normal apps will still work on it? I'm not sure how far back Google provides support.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I returned my Kindle Scribe when my Palma arrived. No ragrets, it's great. The scribe is just too big for use while traveling.