Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oopsie rock posted:

You can't transfer an epub to a Kindle -- do you mean a mobi file converted from epub? Because if you're OK with sending de-DRMed files to Amazon's servers, you can e-mail them to your device's Kindle e-mail address and then I believe it will sync across devices as though it were a book you purchased from Amazon. That's my guess, anyway; I haven't noticed if any of my e-mailed files sync across devices, but I don't see why Amazon would treat items in your library differently based on where they came from.

I've had books emailed or sent through the Send to Kindle sync last read and highlights just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Yeah, I picked up a Touch from a second hand store cheap and realized it had ads, a quick text chat with support and I basically said I thought it wouldn't since it was used and they just turned it off. It didn't take a good reason just that I was asking. It probably didn't matter I already had a paperwhite I sprung to disable ads on and a keyboard I did the same years before.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Rand Brittain posted:

True, but the phone shape is part of what makes the button so accessible; an equivalent button on a more-standard Kindle-shape wouldn't be nearly as easy to press from reading position.

Yeah, I received my Palma a few days ago and settled into a nice mapping and a way to hold it with a comfortable button-reachable grip. I thought the page buttons were a bit high, but the bottom one is right on the edge of my thumb and, with the case, very easy to trigger. The weight really helps with having a wider grip, too.

Using it for rss feeds has also been really nice (feedly app), which I was hoping it would be good for. Weirdly, though I got it for focused-reading on a small device, I kinda like it for quick searches. It's so much easier to read on for everything.

I gotta reach out to them, though, because it looks like the front light is wonky; a dimmer in the middle with a bright spot on the bottom. I thought I'd start to ignore it, but it's a bit much after extended reading.

Rand Brittain posted:

True, but the phone shape is part of what makes the button so accessible; an equivalent button on a more-standard Kindle-shape wouldn't be nearly as easy to press from reading position.

Agreed. I was reflecting on that and if my Paperwhite had buttons they'd have to be like my Kindle 3. Anything more on the side with the current form factor would be just enough extra effort to press single-handed as to be annoying.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Thanks for confirming it! I tried checking reviews and user photos and they seemed fine, so probably a quirk of the process. It happens.

It's really neat how it does the refinement at rest. It took a while before I noticed a subtle shimmer on a light grey background and it clicked that it was tweaking for ghosting. Ultrafast is very reasonable and, at the worst, I get the type of temporary image that feels like print on the other side of a page, which makes it even more paper-like, if anything.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

loudog999 posted:

Would someone with a Palma check something out for me? When you are in any refresh mode beside HD or regal, do you have a really thin black line stretching across the top of your screen above the time and notification icons? I do and I’ve done two factory resets and it’s still there unless I’m in HD mode. My Amazon return window lasts until March 7th so I’m going to send it back if this isn’t normal.

If I tilt mine I can see one behind the masking but the angle is so extreme it's hidden from any normal viewing. That sounds like a misalignment in the display, go for the return.

Following up my screen unevenness experience, I did a replacement through the retailer. The Boox support line for the US appears to be one person reading cue cards ('85% consistency is expected' doesn't make sense for the dark area contrast, 'will improve firmware in the future' uuuuh?)

My original unit also developed a phantom touch in the bottom corner, so it was going back one way or another.