Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Amen to that. And gently caress regional differences. Idoru by William Gibson, $6.99 on a US ebook store, £6.99-£8.49 on UK sites. My limey money not worth as much apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Don't forget the server! Getting access to your ebooks using any web browser anywhere :)

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I think you're going to start seeing people breaking ebook drm as a thing that everyone will be doing, but news outlets and other companies will just pretend it doesn't exist and refuse to acknowledge it.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

To further that point, amazon is much less successful in Europe, to say that they have a near monopoly is very US centric.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Tutu posted:

If I want to buy Norwegian Wood and they don't have it in the UK kindle store, are there any other ways I can get it legally, like other ebook places that might sell it?

http://www.cyberread.com/Norwegian-Wood/MURAKAMI-HARUKI/id385432/

Does that work for you?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Ara posted:

The epub is an Adobe Digital Editions, so if you can break the DRM on that then you can convert it in Calibre. Are you buying that because the movie just came out? I'm going to see it this week, pretty stoked for it.

This is what I would do.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

El Bandit posted:

It had never occurred to me to buy an eReader until someone in my office brought in a Kindle on Friday and I realised I had to have one. My Wi-Fi version is being delivered on Wednesday (I have an iPhone already, so the 3G functionality would be largely redundant).

Is there a way to get around the regional restrictions on content? I want to subscribe to the New Yorker, but it isn't available in the UK Kindle store.

You could use calibre to make ebooks of newspapers automatically and have them emailed to you, but you won't get the full range of articles, only those that are posted on the website.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The download is always fast for me, but installing takes forever because of "computing space requirements". :confused: I have hundreds of GB of free space.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Dark Paw Bear posted:

Does anyone know of a generic charger that I can get for my Touch Edition PRS-600. I somehow lost the charger within the past couple weeks :(

Any PSP charger should do it.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Centipeed posted:

Are we assuming that if Amazon gets a monopoly through which it can influence book pricing, they'll drive the prices up?

Maybe they're a nice company like Steam, and like to do things which benefit consumers as well as themselves?

The reason Valve get away with being such a "nice" company comes down to them being privately owned. Gabe Newell and the other Valve directors can do just about anything they want within reason and they don't have to justify it to shareholders only interested in extracting maximum short term quarter to quarter profit.

If Amazon become a near-monopoly in the field of ebooks, the shareholders would be demanding to know why Jeff Bezos isn't reaming each of his customers for every penny he can get.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Honey Im Homme posted:

I work in a school who decided to go digital with their library.

On a mac you could do it using the terminal and cp with xargs. The kobo readers will be mounted at /Volumes

and assuming they all begin with Kobo or something you could do:

code:
ls -d /Volumes/Kobo*/ | xargs -n 1 cp <file/files to copy>
Just find a common prefix to all the kobo readers and replace Kobo* with whatever it is.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'd really like a new high end Kobo with a USB C port. My old one died and I don't want to buy one with micro B, all my other devices are C at this point.

Are there any rumblings of new models coming any time soon? All I've seen this year is the Nia mid range model.

Edit. I uh just caught up with this page. This wasn't supposed to be a wind up. 😬

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I'm tempted to ditch my Paperwhite for a kobo solely to get buttons back

I've got the Kobo Libra 2 and it's a wonderful reading device. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Mine is:
Add Epub from DRM free source to calibre-web using the web interface
Sync Kobo Libra 2 from calibre-web.