Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
05/25/19: the info below is out of date. Here is a good link on comparison on most of the current e readers.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05/guidemaster-ars-tests-and-picks-the-best-e-readers-for-every-budget/

eBooks are just what they sound like: electronic versions of books. Through the use of an eBook Reader, people are able to store many eBooks on a single compact unit, allowing for easy transportation and access to a large amount of texts, with the added benefit of not needing to find a place to store hundreds of books in your home. They're basically the reader's equivalent of an mp3 player.

eReaders now come on 2 general forms:
E-Ink: The whole goal of e-ink is to read exactly like paper. There is no color version out yet (rumors but probably nothing anytime soon), and because it has no backlight it should in theory avoid fatigueing eyes in the way that an LCD screen does. Other advantages definitely include low power consumption (read: longer battery life) and the main disadvantages are lack of color and slower "refresh" rates (page turns and such). A 2nd disadvantage is that most E-Ink eReaders are know to poorly display PDFs (please see FAQs for more on PDFs).

Wikipedia link for more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eink

LCD: Liquid Crystal Display, LCD screens consist of most computers and mobile devices. Beyond computers there is now a trend of eReaders being released with this more standard screen,the main advantage being more vivid graphics, color screens and much faster response times. Main disadvantage is definitely a backlit screen in theory will tire your eye more than paperback (aka what E-Ink mimicks).

I'm going to just say off the bat that the choice between E-Ink and LCD in the end is a personal preference, so long drawn out arguments on why the iPad sucks for reading books or why the Kindle sucks because it has no apps is simply retarded. Like any choice, the best pick is based off of what you want the drat thing to do.

eReaders have exploded and there are way to many to list here, so we are going to cover mostly the popular ones and ones in the US (if you want one added message me). For a full list Wikipedia again comes to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

Quick Notes: Some of the features of these devices can be both Pros and Cons depending on the user, so B&W being listed as a con isn't necessarily a bad thing if your only goal is to read a book, but could be a con if you want to browse the web or read comics, etc.

E-Ink eReaders:

The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite:

screenshot pc

Barnes and Noble Nook :

screenshot software

Kobo:

ToxicFrog posted:

Alright, here we go.

Kobo E-Readers

At the moment there are -- at least in Canada, which is where the manufacturer is based -- four Kobo readers on the market: Touch 2.0, Aura, Glo HD, and Aura H2O. You can buy them online or get them in pretty much any Chapters store.

Common stuff

All of these readers are touch screen only (no hardware buttons except power, or power + light on some models) and run Kobo's custom Linux-based firmware. They all need a net connection to set up -- either a wifi connection to the reader itself, or a USB connection to a networked computer running the Kobo software. Once set up you can sideload to your heart's content, though. All of them have integrated wifi and 4GB of internal storage. They also all claim 2 months of battery life, but that's with wifi off and at a completely laughable use rate of 30 minutes per day.

Kobo Touch 2.0
MSRP: $90
Size: 157x115x9mm, 185g
Screen: 6" 800x600 Pearl

The entry-level model, this is basically a Sony PRS without the hardware buttons. It's the cheapest model, but there's realistically no reason to get it; the Aura is only $10 more and better across the board. The Touch 2.0 is also the only one to use IR touch sensors rather than the more responsive capacitive design, and the only one without integrated lighting.

Kobo Aura
MSRP: $100
Size: 150x114x8mm, 174g
Screen: 6" 1024x768 Pearl with Regal controller

This is the cheapest one that's actually a serious contender, with more up to date screen tech and integrated lighting. It also lacks the raised rim common to most other e-readers; the front is completely flat, which is a neat effect. Personally, I think this is the best-looking option. The 1024x768 screen drags it down, though; it looks fine on its own, but put it next to something with a Carta-based screen (like the next two Kobos) and it looks dull and blurry.

Kobo Glo HD
MSRP: $130
Size: 157x115x9mm, 180g
Screen: 6" 1448x1072 Carta

Screen specs are similar to the Kindle Paperwhite. Integrated lighting can be controlled by sliding your finger along the frame, which is nice. Not much to say about this one, it doesn't have any fancy gimmicks or any notable drawbacks.

Kobo Aura H2O
MSRP: $180
Size: 179x129x10
Screen: 6.8" 1430x1080 Carta

The "H2O" here comes from the fact that it's water and dust resistant. Not very -- it's rated for half an hour in up to 1m of water -- but enough that it will survive being dropped in the bathtub, or rained on heavily. If you do a lot of reading in the bath, it might be worth it. The drawback is that the larger screen makes this significantly larger and heavier than the other models; it will no longer fit in most coat or cargo-pant pockets.

FAQs:

Q. What is the best eReader for PDFs?

A. A full size tablet. Seriously, the Kindle, Nook E-Ink, Sonys, Kobo will all suck at reading that format. People have some success at using Calibre (see below) to convert PDFs to Mobi or ePub. If you need it for academic purposes, the Nook Color and iPad are just going to handle the graphics and formatting better than an e-ink screen. Repeatedly asking about this in the thread will result in people getting really pissed at you, so please make sure its a unique question on PDFs before asking.

Q. Library Management for your E-Books?

A. Check out Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/

Q. What? What does Calibre do?

A.

Solvency posted:

Calibre allows you to convert non amazon style files (epub or other comic files) to a mobi format usable on your kindle. This is particularly useful if you are getting books from some of the many free book sites out there (google books, gutenberg, ect.).

If you are just downloading stuff from the Kindle store though, you will have no real reason to use Calibre.

Q. Where can I compare eBooks from Amazon, B&N, etc?

A. http://inkmesh.com/ and http://ebookprice.info

Also:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the guys who have new readers, remember a few websites to check out.

https://www.fictionwise.com - good books, some pretty cheap, usually a 40% off sale around once a month or so.

https://www.smashwords.com - good books, cheap, and the support is loving AMAZING.

Q. Where can I find a good selection of public domain books?

A.

Ara posted:

I think Feedbooks deserves to be in the OP. Tons of public domain books much more nicely formatted than Gutenberg. You can go to it with the Kindle browser and download books directly. And in the first few pages of the book you downloaded, there are direct download links for every other book by that author on Feedbooks. Click one and it downloads. Really nice.

Q. I want to root my Nook (whatever version), how do I do that and what features does it offer?

A. See the android rooting thread

Q. I have a Kindle 3G, where can I use my 3G Internet Worldwide?

A. Amazon is always changing agreements and updating it, but this link seems to be kept fairly up to date: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html

Q. I am interested in Manga!

I have no idea on anything with this, but it is :filez: so don't post here.

Q. Why an eBook Reader? Why not just buy paperback?

A. :fuckoff:

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
reserved

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 4, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

It might be worth mentioning that the Nook is easier to get going with library ebooks via Overdrive since they both use Adobe's DRM for ePub and PDF. I love my Kindle, but that's the one thing I'm really envious of when it comes to the Nook.

Format support in general might be good to add (Kindle = Mobipocket, Nook = ePub, etc.), since I know a lot of people get confused about what options are available on what readers. If you toss in a link to Inkmesh, too, that should give people a pretty good idea what books are available for the different readers if they can't find something from their reader's official store.

It couldn't hurt to put in a recommendation for Calibre, either. Even though a lot of books have DRM on them, it makes authoring your own ebook files from public domain stuff much, much easier.

Looking into adding this, thanks!

And I messaged the mods to make sure everything is kosher, but I'm more than ok with posting stuff on rooting/jailbreaking and letting people make their own decisions on whether they want to do it or not.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

This isn't quite right.

Daily Edition has web browser, and what do you mean by cross platform sync?

Fixed thanks. Do the other Sonys have a browser, or just the daily?

And stuff on rooting for The Nook and Kindle is fine as a long as it isn't stealing books or something retarded like that. Can anyone post up some solid summaries on that?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 19, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input guys, I added most of the stuff people recommended, I will be updating the Sony Reader section but that takes a little more time (hopefully sometime this week).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the_reading_rainbow posted:

What's the best reader under $150 for PDF books? Not all-text either, some of these files contain scanned pages... Kindle DX looks nice but drat, kind of expensive. Any recommendations?

The Nook Color got pretty good reviews on reading PDFs, but its unfortunately $250. The Kindle and Nook both are kind of crappy at it from what I hear as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pienipple posted:

Dear Publishers,

Please stop with the bullshit prices. There's no reason for the ebook to be more than the paperback edition. I recently decided to re-read Lies My Teacher Told Me because I remember enjoying it and I haven't seen my copy since I lent it to someone in 8th grade. It was available for $4.50 for Kindle, so I bought it. The new introduction also recommends Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States so I looked that up and it was 14.99. The paperback is 11.29.

On another note, hi-five on book selection, I just read it myself. Great book.

madprocess posted:

No, those people are just going to pirate the books instead because they know they won't be 99 cents any time soon. Welcome to the world of electronic media, where you're competing with free stuff, not just other sellers!

Music piracy was especially prevalent via teens and kids, because they knew how to do it. Not even completely getting into an argument that most of the Publisher's market it not smart enough to do it, but more saying books are definitely something adults purchase regularly, and many people either don't care or don't have time to bother pirating books, regardless of whether it is easy or not.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 23, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Finally caved and ordered my Kindle (3G graphite), it'll be here tomorrow. Just couldn't resist any longer. At least now I can slightly more justification on writing out the OP :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Capnbigboobies posted:

I returned the nook color, perhaps I had a bum device, but it was buggy at best for me after using it for a few days. The browser would crash frequently which would require a hard reboot. The interface, while impressive still needs work.

I also did not find the screen that great for reading.

After doing some research I learned that some led lit screens do in fact flicker when the brightness is reduced. With the brightness set all the way down I can see flickering on a grey screen. I had to have the brightness set to about midway for it to be comfortable. The screen may work great for others, but not for me.

I still think its a great device and is the cheapest thing on the market that can handle pdfs reasonably well, it just the software needs kinks worked out. The deal breaker for me was the screen. I had a galaxy tab side by side with the NC and I found it much easier to read on.

If you are thinking of getting one go ahead and buy one at a BN store. If you do not like it just return it. My return was a smooth process and no restocking fee.

My problem is I want too much out of a "e-reader." I need to face facts, what I really want is an ipad. I will just get a 2nd gen day-one.

Very smart move on the iPad, my biggest beef is Apple always screws over people who buy the 1st Gen of their product. Also, other tablets coming out next year.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pienipple posted:

I have a 2, my mom has a 3. There's nothing game breaking about the upgrade, the 3 has a nicer screen and better button layout. The 2 has 3G only and no wifi so if you were thinking of getting the 3G 3, a 2 is 100 bucks cheaper, slightly bigger body (screen size is the same) and the contrast is a little bit worse.

I'm feeling kinda stupid now about basically pating $100 more for the 3, but gently caress it, its a one time buy, i'd rather have the best (plus its graphite!).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cybrancyborg posted:

Read PDFs on something pocket-ish size for under $150

The opinion was stated that there is no amazing option. Both the Kindle and Nook can technically handle it, but aren't amazing at it. My advice would be to convert the book to Mobi/ePub via calibre, but i just tried it and it doesn't work too well on the Kindle 3.

Any advice on a cheap case for the Kindle (or if it even needs one)? I really don't feel like spending a shitload of money on a case.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

What? How so?

256 RAM, no camera, only one port and I'm sure there are other features Apple will add onto the next one. Just in my experience Apple tends to make a big leap on their 2nd version of a mobile product. I got the 1st Gen iPod Touch and the 2nd Gen had a speaker, volume rocker, mic input and all this other stuff that had no reason not being in the 1st gen. Drives me crazy, and its a good part of why i don't buy their poo poo as much anymore.

Guilty posted:

loving hell, every day it's another e-mail from another professor for another article recommendation sent to me in PDF and every day it's another day schlepping around the netbook and getting out the necessary books to cross-reference this bull poo poo and that.

I cannot wait till my goddamn kindle arrives. I'm placing bets right now, it's going to be a required buy for grad students in literature at the very least if not all grad students.

Ironic from my rant above, but the Kindle has been experimented in using with college/scholarly pursuits and got mixed reviews. Personally I think it would be mostly decent, but in terms of studies I could see how an iPad would be the required buy. Plus Angry Birds in class is always a good idea.

And its Black Friday weekend so I have had no time to look at this, I'll be updating the OP again at some point soon though!

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 27, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cybrancyborg posted:

Okay so if I use calibre to convert pdfs, what relatively small ereader that's <150$? The Kindle wifi? Sony pocket reader? Expandable storage sounds nice but I don't know if I need it.

The Nook 3G (refurb) may still be on sale for $89 at overstock.com, otherwise the Kindle 3 WiFi is still one of the best buys at $139ish.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my Kindle just started loving up hardware wise where it would keep showing the previous page in the background. Needless to say, I've had the thing 10 days so that is frustrating. I found there is an experimental official software update, so I am seeing if that will fix it. Fingers crossed.

Edit: Software update fixed it, *phew*.

And finally updated the info on the Sony reader, the info provided was well written out so i just pasted it in as a quote. Thanks!

Edit again: I would love to use my Kindle as an RSS reader, but am not about to pay $1 per blog a month just to get news "conveniently." Anyone know of an easier/cheaper way than using the web browser (or even just setting the web browser for mobile websites only)?

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 28, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I've used Google Reader on my kindle 3 fairly succesfully, was there somnething in particular you didn't like?

I do generally like it better in "full screen" mode as described here, but seems pretty decent in general:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/09/simple-tip-turns-kindle-into-ultimate-news-reader/

This is great and about what I was looking for, I'll add it to the OP FAQs.

Edit:I am wanting to replace the screen savers on my Kindle 3, has anyone tried this yet?

http://ebookreadersresource.com/ebook-readers-blog/kindle-how-to/amazon-kindle-2-screensaver/

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 29, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

losimagic posted:

Is asking for people to show off their custom Kindle screensavers going off-topic? Would like to see what everyone's installed.

Go for it, heck I would like it because I need a few screen savers. Ralph Ellison your days are numbered...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Criss posting from the Rooted Android thread, but the Nook Color has officially been rooted and playing Angry Birds. I put it in the OP with a disclaimer to wait a bit for something a bit better to come about.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Edit, updated based on info below, thanks!

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 30, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

Is someone really going to ask about PDF support every other post?

Putting a bigger disclaimer about PDFs in the OP.

Edit: I updated the OP with more details on PDFs and a disclaimer on not asking stupid questions.

fishmech posted:

According to this site: http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010/10/global-kindle-3g-web-browsing-where.html Chile has full 3g browsing now.

I'll google around myself, but does Amazon have a link of countries that can support 3G? I can add that as well.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 1, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Amazon doesn't seem to have a list, but that guy's site is usually accurate. Keep in mind the list of which countries get 3g browsing unrestricted is always growing, as more carriers sign deals with Amazon.

Sweet, added to the OP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

Screen savers

These are loving awesome, especially the beer one. Please more people post their screen savers, i suck at photoshop myself.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Anal Surgery posted:

I'm looking for opinions: I want an e-reader/tablet primarily for books (and maybe wikipedia if possible). I'm weighing and playing with Kindles and Nooks, but my dad just bought some cheap knock-off "e-pad" for $200.00 that runs Android 2.2. He can get the Kindle app on it, and any other apps he wants. Does anyone have an opinion on whether a dedicated e-reader is better for e-books or if any tablet is basically fine for it?

It mainly comes down to what functions you want and whether you want E-Ink or LCD, so it is a bit personal preference. My opinion was that I wanted this for reading books, and I hate reading books on LCD, so I got the Kindle 3. I use it for reading, and while I dick around on the web browser, in reality that is what you are getting, a device that is optimized for reading extremely well. Based on you saying that's what you want, Either the Kindle or Nook would be a good bet, see if you can find either on sale somewhere (Overstock.com may have the Nook on sale still).

Some people don't care about LCD screens, and if so a tablet would be ok too. I've tried reading books on my Evo and it just isn't enjoyable for me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cash posted:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Wiki comparing the various readers. Shud be in the OP.

Appreciate it, but I already have it there:

duckman2008 posted:

eReaders have exploded and there are way to many to list here, so we are going to cover mostly the popular ones and ones in the US (if you want one added message me). For a full list Wikipedia again comes to the rescue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e-book_readers

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

It's live-ish (the intro video is currently private?).

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html

Supported devices:

No Kindle, :(. But hopefully soon. I would assume Amazon wouldn't want the competition, but B&N and Apple seem fine with it.

The web reader is pretty nice, just as simple and clean as the rest of the Google aesthetic.

You should be able to still convert them with Calibre?

Edit: Gah, nevermind, I see how it sucks.

Just tested reading it in the kindle browser. Not awful, you just position you mouse on the far left and hit enter to turn the page. Browsing for books isn't awful, although I have pictures turned off, just makes it a lot faster. The text of course will not take up the whole page, and zooming in completely fucks it up. So as long as you only want to flip pages forward, don't mind not using your whole screen and taking the time to search for it via the web browser, its ok. Honestly though i see no feature that it offers over Amazon.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 6, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

Mostly I'm hoping for compatibility with multiple stores if only to catch the odd book that's on one and not the other, as well as to take advantage of pricing differences/sales in the various markets.

I purged our home library last night, getting rid of mass market paperbacks of public domain works and getting the Gutenberg versions. Only got rid of ~50 out of ~700 (kept the ones with pretty covers), but now I can actually get some of the books off the floor of our library room. I don't think being a book hoarder is a bad thing (will never recover because I will never admit I have problem), but we are looking to move in a year or two and those drat boxes get heavy.

I have the book problem at my place, and when we move next year my goal is to sell most of them and just keep them all on the Kindle.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I am really curious how the Google ebooks thing will pan out, seems like these kinds of ventures have not been wildly successful from them in the past.

I'm also curious to see what changes are on the horizon for the Kindles, seems like lack of ePub support is starting to become more of an issue.

Google Docs I would classify as fairly successful and definitely useful so far, and that's a very similar concept. Personally Amazon already provides the same features that Google offers (syncing via multiple devices), I'm already using it and it works better because its native. Have I missed any big feature that Google is offering here?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Freeze posted:

Well it's like $40 difference, and I can't get the Nook (which is what I really wanted) anyways. On top of that, the Kindle's current estimated shipping date to Canada is in late January.

So will Calibre let me convert books I buy from anywhere to the Kindle format? And does it do good conversions? I was reading somewhere about how some ebook conversion programs just convert the book to a lovely PDF file that's annoying to read.

If you want dude I can buy either and ship it to you (does the Nook work in Canada at all?), I would just have to get the funds upfront, I don't have the funds to put the money down myself.

I downloaded a PDF of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I already own the paperback, not paying again for it) and converted it to Mobi. Slightly annoying, and you have chapter page markers in irritating places, but not the end of the world and after the first 50 pages i stopped noticing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Oh I see. Since Amazon is the biggest eBook seller they should just dictate what everyone else uses. But are they? Hasn't iPad/iBooks outsold Kindle already? They will soon if they haven't.

And no, your argument is not accurate. It's more like the guy complaining that a web site doesn't work in Firefox because someone coded it to only work in IE since it's the biggest which by your definition is the market norm.

Yeah, only Apple fanboys would think that iBooks is selling the most. And yeah, the Kindle certainly isn't quite as open as the Nook, uses its own formatting, etc. That's why both are listed in the OP with their ups and downs, and one advantage of the Nook is that it is open and more easily rootable. This discussion is stupid.

Content:
I have a reserved post under the OP. Should I post people's screen saver's there?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am finally off probation. I am still down for posting up awesome Kindle screen savers in the 2nd post of the OP, so if you want it included please repost below.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ara posted:

Don't buy an ipad to read books :eng99:

Buy an ipad if you want an ipad, but buying it to read books is the dumbest thing. Buying it because you specifically want to buy books from the Apple store which is inferior to other stores is taking it to a whole new level. It's giant and covered in glass and weighs a million pounds. Plus it costs like five or six times what an ebook reader does. If you want it to play flash games or read color comics or something then okay, but I can't imagine anyone seriously buying it so that they can have access to the fantastic Apple ebook store and read books on it.

My input on the iPad is the 2nd Gen is right around the corner, so anyone who buys one know is probably making a dumb mistake. Plus 2nd Gen Apple Products tend to have twice the features that te 1st Gen do.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

I don't currently have an eReader, but reading is one of my main hobbies, so I'm considering one. I'm leaning towards the Nook, mostly because it seems to support the ePub books that libraries loan via Overdrive. 99.9% of the time, my paper books come from the library, so that's where most of my ebooks would come from too.

I have some questions that are sort of discussed in the thread, but don't seem to be answered outright. I see people saying that the Kindle can convert other formats to a Kindle-readable format by sending the book to their kindle email address. Am I correct in assuming that this won't convert the DRMed books from Overdrive? I also see people saying "don't worry about ePub support, because Calibre can convert it!" but again, I'm guessing Calibre won't convert the ones from Overdrive due to the DRM. Is this right?

I also see a lot of mention of the Kindle 3 having this new Pearl E Ink screen, while the Nook has the earlier model screen. I know nobody here is a magical fortune teller, but are there any rumors or rumblings about B&N releasing a new Nook with the new Pearl screen?

My friend has a Nook and a Kindle 3, and supposedly the new software update for the Nook brings it much much closer if not equal to the Kindle's screen. I like my Kindle, but the Nook is a good device and it would be much less hassle for you at the least. Get the Nook.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Edit: Additionally, just recognize that this is certainly an issue that affects people in different ways. I'm not alone in finding a difference in reading comfort with LCDs and books, and I'm probably with the majority of people on this matter too. In my case I'll even admit it's probably due to the fact that I wear contact lenses, which are notorious for causing greater light sensitivity.

The iPad was not made to be read by people who use contact lenses, you are reading the screen wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

My wife collected gift cards from the whole family and went out to buy my Nook Color for Christmas... And every Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, and Walmart in the area are sold out.

:saddowns:

Sorry to hear that, but...its less than 2 days before Christmas....

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theBeaz posted:

Well of course, but it doesn't mean that I can't be disappointed. I kind of expected the Kindle to still be whipping the NC. I wouldnt have thought it would be sold out at every retailer in Memphis. Heck there are plenty of iPads everywhere!

Btw, anyone have any experience with Squaretrade for extended warranties?

Barnes and Noble is doing a great job on marketing, and regular people just seem to think "oh color! that's worth the extra $$ over the Kindle!" And for some it is, but its kind of a feature that people get excited for without really thinking it through.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/amazon-kindle-3-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php

Zagg Invisishields have been good on every device I've owned. Most malls have a booth, I'd let the guy working install it as they are usually pretty drat good at it.

Zagg shields are good, but if you ever need to take it off it leaves all this phlegm poo poo on the screen. Personally any cover that has a flap so it covers the front when you aren't using it is more than adequate.

Cozmosis posted:

Got a Nook Color today, debating whether to keep it or not. I wanted an e-reader mainly for radiology textbooks, which obviously rely on fairly large high res images, and tend to be in the 800+ page variety. Basically debating the NC vs like an Archos 101, as I'm not dropping 500+ for an iPad. Is 7" legitimately enough for textbook reading in anyone else's experience?

The Archos has ok reviews, but from what I read the Nook seems to have way more stable hardware. Do you have a big textbook to load up and try it out? If it works keep the Nook.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 26, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

For the guys who have new readers, remember a few websites to check out.

https://www.fictionwise.com - good books, some pretty cheap, usually a 40% off sale around once a month or so.

https://www.smashwords.com - good books, cheap, and the support is loving AMAZING.

https://www.inkmesh.com - what's available as an ebook, and how much it costs, price comparisons, etc.

RE: The 75$ credit thing for the sony 300s. Head to the sony website, and there is a link explaining how it works. Basically you sign up for it, you send them your reader, they send you a coupon to use on the site once it shows up.

Added to the OP.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fuzzykinz posted:

But if enough terrorists band together they might smuggle enough (something) to hurt a few passengers!

To be fair, if they didn't impose these rules on us, what would drive us horribly offtopic in ereader megathreads?

Its a dumb rule, but usually once the flight attendants sit down you can pull it back out, it only takes about 20 minutes before they officially let you use it again, and this conversation is getting stupid.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

maxnmona posted:

I've also been impressed by how well the browser works. I have a work Blackberry, and browsing on the Kindle is a hell of a lot easier than browsing on the Blackberry, which is supposedly built for it.

That just shows how awful Blackberry's web browser was/is.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sensurround posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on the real difference the 3G upgrade adds for the new kindle? Are you only able to use it to purchase books through the kindle store or can you use the web browser on 3G to check google maps / wikipedia / whatever? I'm struggling to see how the extra $50 would be justifiable for just the ability to get to the store but I can't find any solid info on this.

The big plus for Kindle 3G is that its a one time $50 and then its unlimited. Having gotten over the new gadget phase i don't web browse much, so i'd say overall WiFi is fine for almost anyone, but $50 for unlimited extra convenience just seems to good to pass up. I am glad i got the 3G one, better to have it than not have it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pienipple posted:

This. A smartphone is better for real browsing but the kindle browser is good enough to check your email, look something up on wikipedia, or check google maps in a pinch. It's also awesome if you take longish trips semi-regularly where you wouldn't have access to wifi.

Out of curiosity, what's your method of checking email? I use Gmail and always assumed gmail.com would be too obnoxious for the Kindle. Same with maps actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

In case anyone was wondering, you can use the Nook Color inside a freezer bag just fine if you want to read in the tub, the pool, or the rain. Touch screen works perfectly.

I found this cool and pretty drat funny, adding it to the OP.

Also, will try and add those screen savers to the OP tonight or tomorrow. Whenever someone posts screen savers, i will try and place them in the 2nd post.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 6, 2011