Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zosologist posted:

Can anyone recommend a cover or a case (no sleeves please) for the Kobo Aura One?

I bought this case and currently use it. I like it better than the one I bought previous.

Edit: Oh to sorta explain, the old case had a bit more slack than I'd like when I fold the cover over. The one I use currently doesn't seem to have that problem and feels better in my hands.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

That looks pretty dang great but man is there a huge design flaw. They put the sleep button right under the page turn buttons. :psyduck:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs0INyFODmQ

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuLzR65WSU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rolo posted:

Also I think an actual battery percentage.

I can’t get mine to update, the option is greyed out. Will it just do its thing on its own eventually?

Probably done in waves. If you're impatient, you can just manually download the update file to copy on to the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529680

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Soysaucebeast posted:

Crossposting from the Android app thread. I got a new tablet (just a cheapo Android one) and have been porting over all my ebooks over, but for some reason it doesn't want to connect to my computer so I can't use Calibre to get all my books transferred. I downloaded the Calibre Companion app which is fantastic, but apparently I need a third party e-reader app to read the files on since the Kindle app isn't recognizing them (even my azw3 files). Anyone know of any good ones that can sync with books downloaded through the Kindle app, and random .mobi files I have? I tried Moon+, but it doesn't seem to register the books downloaded through the Kindle app.

You might be better off converting those Kindle ebooks into epubs which pretty much every ereader app on the Google Play Store supports.

Edit: To clarify, the ebooks you're getting directly from Amazon are DRM protected. So nothing short of an actual Kindle device or Kindle app will read them. You have to convert them to use them in other apps.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 29, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anyone pick up a Kobo Forma recently? Quality issues still abound?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

smr posted:

Mine has the weird bright stripe on the one side but that's proven to be eminently ignorable given that it's not on the text itself. Turn buttons are fine; power button is a bit of a bitch but I have the sleep cover so it almost never gets used.

I've grown to really dislike reading on my Oasis 2 since I got the Forma; my old-assed eyes get tired of that blue backlight really fast. I've been A/B Testing my before-bed reading eyes on both lately and I can always read the Forma until the rest of me is ready to sleep; the Oasis, I can get to the point where I'd do another chapter, but my eyes are just blurring out. I also enjoy the larger screen; less page turns, and maps/pictures look better.

Now if only the Kobo iOS app wasn't such hot loving trash compared to the Kindle app or Books.app...

Kobo iOS app is actually half-decent for manga compared to Kindle though obviously they don't care about that and let Comixology handle that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Totally Huge posted:

I got a Kobo Aura One a while back because I tried an Oasis 2 and I think it’s metal back is completely awful, the battery life sucked, and the lack of a warm backlight.

I liked the Kobo quite a bit but dislike the store and having to strip drm and manually load files, etc. The worst thing was the lack of whispersync, though.

I ended up just using my Oasis 1 for normal reading, and my phone for bedtime reading. It works well enough for the small amount of reading I actually do in bed.

If amazon released an oasis 3 with the larger screen, a comfortable rubberized back, and warm lighting I’d be all over it.

I am also waiting for a Kindle with a bigger screen. Part of the reason why I was asking bout the Kobo Forma prior.

I have to figure Amazon has something waiting in the wings, everyone else is putting out these larger display ereaders but they're not Kindles.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They've done the DX and scrapped it, I'd say 7 inch on the latest Oasis is likely as large as they'll go now, but probably it'll trickle down the range tier by tier. I wish they did the Voyage still, it was a nice compromise in terms of cost and build. The Oasis is very expensive.

They did, but with 150ppi, it's not worth searching for. I wouldn't want it that big anyway. The Forma's 8 inch is about as high I would personally go.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Humerus posted:

My wife has decided to give e-readers another try so we ordered a new Paperwhite. She's just going to log in my account so we can share books and such but I don't want any weird issues with syncing because of it. I see an option on my Kindle to disable Whispersync, will that suffice? I assume she'll still be able to download any of the books on my account, just they won't automatically sync to where I've read on my Kindle?

Why not setup Amazon Household? You can share books that way and keep Whispersync on since she would login with her own account.

https://www.amazon.com/myh/households

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Humerus posted:

Is this all ebooks? I was reading about family sharing and it seemed to say that some stuff was excluded.

If it's a purchase it should be shareable as far as I know. Loans such as from your public library or Prime Reading are not.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Looks like this:

Not sure what the extra shareable is, probably the manual of the Kindle, heh.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oh boy... I have a problem the manifested as of today...

The Forma has a nifty Micro USB cable with reversible connectors. :eyepop:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

OK, had the Forma for a work week. Unfortunately as much as I like it, it’s going back. That bright strip on the button side is really distracting and there’s no fixing it. If I didn’t do much night reading I might not care. But it’s really inexcusable to have a screen with that type of problem at the price they are asking for. In a sense, I like the Aura One’s screen more even of that screen isn’t totally perfect either. Compared to the Oasis 2, there’s no question. The screen is uniform.

Return process with Kobo was fine if a little long considering I had to go through their hoops of turning off the device and leave it off for several minutes and then do a factory reset which I already knew wasn’t going to solve it. But at least I’m not paying return shipping back to Canada.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

This gives me slightly more hope Amazon will release a 7.8-8" Kindle. :pray:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Oasis 2 is mostly fine for manga. Better with recently published stuff as super old stuff they produced low quality scans and can look rather bad. If the manga you’re reading has a habit of putting tiny translation or definition notes in between panels (For example Battle Angel Alita), then it’s a suboptimal experience since you’ll have to pinch zoom it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anyone pick up the new Nook Glowlight Plus? I was just reading some comments and someone mentioned BN sold out and I took for myself and sure enough, they are.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

EdBlackadder posted:

My Kindle Keyboard is starting to get slow and glitchy (its not indexing all the books on it). I'm looking at upgrading while the Summer discount is running, currently the Paperwhite 4 seems to be a better offer than the new Kindle. I've never filled my Kindle Keyboard but I've some graphics-heavy ebooks from Humble Bundles and some wargaming rulebooks I'd love to read on Kindle. I also have a number of DRM-free books from Gutenberg and other sources loaded on so I'm leaning towards the 32GB model.

What I'm wondering about is has anyone got a compelling argument for the 4G version at a £60-£70 premium over the wifi-only model for something I use mainly at home? I have wished I had it on occasion on holiday but honestly I don't go away that often.

Similarly am I being upsold here on the base Kindle wrongly?

Stick with wifi if you only plan to use it at home. 4G makes more sense for frequent flyers. Base Kindle despite having a light now still has a lower PPI screen in comparison to the Paperwhite. You may not notice it going from a Keyboard to a base Kindle as I think they are the same PPI? Paperwhite is sharper in general and would make graphics a bit cleaner in your ebooks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Well that’s an incremental as hell upgrade...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah, I'm going to also say the Oasis buttons are pretty great too. After messing with a Forma for a week, I really like the Oasis buttons more.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Just an FYI only the new Paperwhite and "All-New" Kindle are going on sale for Prime Day(s):

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1149556109109108738

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Any word on battery improvements from the Oasis 2 -> 3? (hahahahhaahaha no probably not :negative: )

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

Edit: The battery is actually slightly larger. The Oasis 2 was 1000 mAh, while the Oasis 3 is 1130 mAh. Given that, I would probably expect like 10% extra battery life.

Looking around, the differences seem to be
1) Warm Light Option
2) Cellular is now 4G, instead of 3G.
3) No more back magnets
4) Page refresh is supposed to be very slightly faster. It reportedly very minor though.

Amazon has my oasis 3 scheduled for Tuesday, which seems fine considering I only ordered it last week. Looking forward to seeing how I like it compared to my old voyage, which I used consistently for years. I went though a lot of trashy genre fiction on that device.

The cynic in me wants to believe the slight battery bump is for the addition of the warm light LEDs.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo got their new reader out for preorders in a few days. The Kobo Libra H2O.

Similar form factor to the Forma but clocks in at 7" on the display rather than 8". Black and White colors. Power button on the back rather than dead center on the side of the device where your hand would be and the charging port is shifted toward the edge. Also of note, the LED arrangement is different and I'm wondering if it totally solves the light strip issue the Forma did.

Edit: Realized there was a bezel on it and I looked further, Good e-Reader is reporting that it uses IR sensors rather for screen interaction.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

People usually opt for those Android ereaders if they wanted openness.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Some minor news on the Kobo side. The Forma will be able to log in to Dropbox accounts: https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360033830114-Add-books-to-your-Kobo-Forma-eReader-with-Dropbox

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

nessin posted:

Has anyone compared a Kobo Libra to Kindle Oasis? Is the Oasis worth the extra cost? I've got a Kobo right now and want to switch up to having the form factor and buttons of those two and while I wouldn't be looking forward to converting books from epub to mobi if the Oasis is significantly better from a hardware standpoint (display, light, and page turn time are basically all I care about) then I'll pay the extra.

The Oasis will win out on its uniform lighting, something both the Forma and Libra (to a much lesser extent) have issues with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rakuten, you done hosed up and I'm pissed.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/kkr-to-buy-digital-library-platform-overdrive-from-rakuten-2019-12-24

The same group that bought and hosed up Toys R Us bought Overdrive from Rakuten.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

Is there a way on the Kindle Oasis to see what books are NOT in a collection. On my Kindle, I'd sideload books and they'd show up on the home screen until I put them in a collection. On the Oasis they just lump them into the "Books" category. So I'm paging through 70 pages trying to find and remember what books I have yet to add to a collection...

If you go into the collection you want to add books into, there's a menu to add books and basically any book not already in that collection will be unchecked for you to add. Would that work for you? Calibre does this too by way of a plugin I guess? I can't really comment on this as I don't really use it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

If I want an e-ink screen, physical buttons, backlight, and epub support, is a Kobo my best bet?

The NOOK GlowLight Plus also fulfills that criteria. But yes, as far as other major brand options, Kobo has their Libra model which is smaller than the Nook mentioned or Forma which is larger screen size wise but more expensive.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

hatty posted:

I’ll upgrade my kindle only if they release a new big screen version. Loved that Deluxe

loving :same:.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Hell I can’t be the only one waiting for a color e-ink reader roughly magazine/comic size. Whatever happened to color e-ink anyway?

Tech for it is still slow and expensive and the quality isn’t there yet either.

Right now you can see it used for signage in retail stores but I haven’t seen it yet.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo Forma (both capacities) and Clara HD are on sale on the US Kobo site:

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-forma

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Only new device I've heard recently is the Kobo Nia from FCC filings and the documents mention another device with micro USB.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

binaryhermit posted:

Given that Amazon's release cycle for kindles seems to be 2-3 years these days, I'd expect a new Paperwhite and possibly basic Kindle first. In my estimation, the new Paperwhite was a longshot to hit this year before COVID-19 and now that COVID-19 happened, I'd be shocked if any of the kindles got refreshed this year.

Also, Amazon has tended to lag behind other manufacturers on new technologies such as frontlighting and warm lighting, so given that just about nobody's released an eReader with USB type c...

There's a couple smaller marketshare companies with USB Type C connectors on their ereaders. ONYX BOOX is one them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Speaking of ONYX, here's their first color ereader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRkAAc4x-JI

Enjoy that sweet 100 dpi in color. :eyepop:

Edit: Oh huh, PocketBook has one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRNlxNhkuk

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 27, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm a heavy manga reader on the Forma. Seems to be the sweet spot, even on the Oasis things like translation and editor notes in between panels can be a bit hard to read but clear on the Forma.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo Forma 8GB (32GB is sold out) is on sale for 200 bucks: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-forma?utm_source=Kobo&utm_medium=TopNav&utm_campaign=Forma

Kobo Clara HD is also on sale for 90 bucks: https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-clara-hd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Poop. I'd have probably got the 32gb one on sale. Dangit.

Bummer. It was on sale in March when I picked mine up.