Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve got a vacation coming up and I want to upgrade my old Paperwhite to something with buttons. If price isn’t a deciding issue would you guys recommend an oasis or libra 2? Or is there another option I don’t know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks for the advice, I have an Oasis and a third party case on the way. Is the screen decently scratch resistant? I’ve never put a screen protector on a paperwhite but they weren’t this expensive and I’ll be taking this to the beach, well the pool next to the beach, but am afraid sand might still sneak it’s way in and scratch the screen up.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Honestly the more likely scenario is a grain of sand getting stuck between the case and the screen, scratching it that way.

Return the case. I'd give you mine if I lived Stateside or anywhere you might realistically live. Very well made but I struggle to find a use for it and throw my Oasis in bags with keys, etc. Even the back still looks new.

Thanks for the offer, it’s a cheap $18 one I found. I may try it a few days without and see what I think before deciding if I want to return it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Finally got my Oasis delivered and am loving it so far. Defiantly an upgrade from my 2015 paperwhite. I’m not digging the case so I may go without it, just can’t get over the niggle that I need something protecting it, especially with my two cats roaming around the place that love to sit on any electronic I have laying around. Think I’m going to slap a tempered glass protector on it and see how that goes. Or maybe I should get a pouch to put it in when I’m not using it.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The oasis battery is really a let down coming from a paperwhite. I’ve gone from charging maybe once a month to once or twice a week.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

smr posted:

My Oasis 2's battery has been such junk since day one that, after it decided to fully discharge just sitting on a side table during a vacation, I bought the Paperwhite 5 just to compare.

THAT thing lasts forever, and I believe has a better CPU or something because the general UI and just getting around the device is faster and smoother than it is on Amazon's "flagship".

Plus... USB-C charging, which: rad.

They need to stick page turn buttons and a cellular radio into this thing, call it Oasis 3, and I will buy it immediately.

I’ll probably either do the same before my next vacation or just take my wife’s paperwhite. I like the idea of not having to worry about charging it even though that’s the time of the year I use it most. The oasis is great for bed reading because I always have the charger on hand.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

You all are pushing me closer and closer to getting the Palma, I’ll probably end up with one before I go on my vacation this year but I have a couple of questions. For those that have it, how is the reading experience compared to a larger screen? I have an old paperwhite and oasis now, I prefer the oasis but the battery sucks and it’s became my leave in the bedroom near a charger device. Do you mainly use your Palma as a secondary reader when you are out and about or has it replaced your others? Finally, I use both audible and emby to listen to audiobooks on my phone now, any experience using these on the Palma?

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I just got my Palma in, and I agree it's a very unusual form factor for longer sessions. I'll keep it around because it's weird and fun, but I doubt that it'll be taking the place of my Oasis in my normal bag.

If the goal is traveling as light/compact as possible, it makes a lot of sense. If you're already used to reading on the phone formfactor, the Palma is a huge upgrade. But to my eyes it's a pretty significant downgrade from my Oasis or Kobo Aura One.

The few times Ive tried I couldn’t really get into a book on my phone, and since I have poo poo eyes I have to use a larger font so I can’t imagine that would help. Still, it would be nice to keep in my lunch bag for work. I’m going to let my decision stew a little longer and make up my mind before my vacation in June. Thanks for all the opinions.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I saw that Amazon is shipping the Palma and only had 16 white ones left, they also seemed to be sold out of the black ones, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I don’t think mine will come with the free case so do you all recommend any type of case or screen protector or should I go without. Also, I was able to take advantage of that Terry Pratchett humble bundle since now I’ll have a reader that I can sync with kobo. I’m pretty excited for it, should be here by the 9th.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I really like having Android and the play store available on the Palma. Is there a recommended more traditional sized ereader with the same? I’m assuming all the boox lineup does but don’t know much about them. I’m going to wait until my oasis eventually dies for good so it may be a bit.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Would someone with a Palma check something out for me? When you are in any refresh mode beside HD or regal, do you have a really thin black line stretching across the top of your screen above the time and notification icons? I do and I’ve done two factory resets and it’s still there unless I’m in HD mode. My Amazon return window lasts until March 7th so I’m going to send it back if this isn’t normal.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Agile Vector posted:

If I tilt mine I can see one behind the masking but the angle is so extreme it's hidden from any normal viewing. That sounds like a misalignment in the display, go for the return.

Following up my screen unevenness experience, I did a replacement through the retailer. The Boox support line for the US appears to be one person reading cue cards ('85% consistency is expected' doesn't make sense for the dark area contrast, 'will improve firmware in the future' uuuuh?)

My original unit also developed a phantom touch in the bottom corner, so it was going back one way or another.

I have to be tilting mine and looking for it to see it, so it may be the same as yours. I asked on Reddit and several people had the same, no one replied saying they didn’t have it so maybe it’s “normal” for the Palma. I keep mine on hd anyway so it’s never there. I think I’ll stick with the one I have since it’s the only issue that’s popped up and I have read on this thing way more than I thought I would. Thanks for checking yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Zero One posted:

FYI on Kindles... the cover ads are now just 100% AI generated spam books. So if you are buying a Kindle you'll either want to buy the ad free version or attempt to play support roulette and get them to remove ads for free.

I was able to get it removed for free after complaining about this poo poo being inappropriate for kids:

I used the same inappropriate for kids to get the ads removed from my Oasis when I bought it. I don’t feel bad because I wasn’t lying, at the time it would show romance novel covers that I didn’t want to have to explain to my daughter before we started her bedtime story. I wonder how often Kindle support gets that exact call and what the success rate for getting them to remove the ads is.