Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I spent awhile on this and I'm pretty happy with the outcome so I just wanted to share it. I direct music videos as a hobby and my friend wanted to do a green screen video, which I'd never done before. He didn't have much of a concept in mind beyond "green screen and maybe something nature-y?" so I pitched the idea of just ripping off Hypnospace Outlaw, which he was on-board with. Once I dived into the edit, it kinda morphed into a different thing although there's definitely still a heavy Hypnospace influence. I also realized I was in way over my head for a bunch of reasons - I'd never worked with green screen, never really did video compositing, and hadn't really used After Effects in my workflow aside from very occasional quick clips and jokey gifs. There's nothing super complicated going on from an animation standpoint (mostly just looping straight movements), but it was still a huge learning experience just in terms of working around AE's dogshit performance and figuring out a bunch of (probably super basic) workflow issues that I hadn't encountered before. Also, I got introduced to the super fun game of "which seemingly-innocuous effect is absolutely tanking my PC this time!?" (the answer was almost always Posterize Time - I wanted different elements running at different framerates which it let me do, but turns out it's a HUGE performance drain which I would not have expected, so I found ways to work around that).

Anyway, I'm happy with how it turned out and would love some feedback!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzOFIVB7C7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love the aesthic of this.

The part with the roman statues and whale reminds me of the intro to the Eyewitness educational videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8
but it's probably a reference to something else I'm not familiar with

Did you use Pixatool at all? Because a lot of the more pixely shots look like the results you get from that.

Thank you! I hadn't seen that intro but that's the exact aesthetic I had in mind. That scene isn't a direct reference to anything, just a general homage to that style - I wanted it to feel like something that would be buried on an Encarta CD or some random educational video that came in a cereal box.

I didn't know Pixatool existed or I absolutely would have used it, hah. I used this Dither Decay plugin with different settings on pretty much the entire video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgbLRbw30zo

With a 'custom' CRT effect on top of everything (I just followed a couple tutorials and then made a few adjustments for personal taste).

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Y'all are the best, and I appreciate the input hugely.

Should iMovie just go in the bin? It used to be competent for basic poo poo...twenty years ago.

When I use it now, the minimalist poo poo makes it infuriating. Yeah, minimalism and Mac works great when it accomplishes something. But just making everything obtuse doesn't help.

In my opinion, the editing software doesn't make that much of a difference for the most part, depending on what type of videos you're making. iMovie is definitely very limited but I have no doubt that someone could cobble together interesting and successful content with it, if that's what they're comfortable working with. If you're not tied to it (and it doesn't sound like you are at this point), I would opt for something more powerful but if you're familiar with it and it's not handicapping you then... why not?

Personally, if I were just starting out, I would grab the free version of Resolve and go from there. It's extremely powerful and can do almost anything you would realistically need to do at a hobbyist level. It will be a little intimidating starting out, especially if you haven't used any NLEs before, but it'll become intuitive pretty quickly. I use Premiere, but mostly because I'm just so invested in Adobe's ecosystem at this point and not because of any particular features or brand loyalty or anything. I've dabbled in several different editing programs and, while they all have specific strengths and weaknesses, they're also all totally fine and capable of producing good work.