Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can any of you people that actually know poo poo about editing someone explain to me why three point editing is considered superior to just cutting with a split/blade/razor tool?

I get that does leave the timeline less cluttered with poo poo you don't need but it seems like a much slower and complicated method to do basically the exact same thing. This might because most of my experience is with baby scrub editing programs like Final Cut and Vegas and I've never really cut anything that had a run time of more than 10 minutes so the timeline being a bit messy to begin with isn't really a issue like it might be when editing something longer.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone got any advice on creating slitscan stuff like the tunnel from 2001 in After Effects?

I've been trying to find tutorials and since I'm pretty inexperianced with AE I don't really know enough to figure it out on my own.

I took some close ups of one of those multi-coloured LED fans. I might be able to just render a small slit of that and then stretch it out and apply some 3D to it. I could also just use a still picture but I can't figure out the 3D camera.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 22, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I'm about to do an assembly cut on a short I just finished and this is my first time working with 6K and I was wondering if the smart thing is to make proxies of literally all my clips (about 1,7 TB worth) or if I should go through it all first and see what I'll actually be using before I make the proxies.

Now I already don't have that much space left on my drives and not filling everything up with stuff I won't even use would be neat but playing through everything would be faster if I have proxies of it all and maybe it will theoretically save me time down the line if I find a take I overlooked that works better and I don't need to make a proxy because I have already.

I also assume I'll have to rename all the files to my liking before I make the proxies as doing so afterwards will probably sever the link somehow.

I'm probably overthinking this.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Finally have a rough cut of the project I'm working on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42_GGbM1KM

Note that it's all in Icelandic and we haven't translated it for subs yet so the complex and layered plot might be hard to follow but you should get the gist.

still need to:
-Color correct
-Color grade
-Finalize the temp graphics and titles and such and add credits.
-Fill in all the missing sounds
-Mix those sounds

We're probably going to get more qualified people for the grading and sound if the budget allows and we've already have a composer on board.

Note that most of the inconsistencies between shots are deliberate as we were going for a sort of Garth Maranghi's Darkplace feel.

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

Anyway, I'm happy with how it turned out and would love some feedback!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzOFIVB7C7s

I love the aesthic of this.

The part with the roman statues and whale reminds me of the intro to the Eyewitness educational videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8
but it's probably a reference to something else I'm not familiar with

Did you use Pixatool at all? Because a lot of the more pixely shots look like the results you get from that.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

josh04 posted:

Notice that this and the footage you've been posting over in CineD is all log-space, afaik it's fairly typical to have a 'decent' first-go LUT that you slap on to preview/edit so you aren't stuck looking at all that flat colour before the colourist gets involved.

That makes sense.

All the slo-mo and wrestling stuff is shot with a different camera than everything else that looks quite a lot lighter ungraded and would probably still look very different with a LUT slapped on it so I figured I needed to wait until that was corrected before I got into the more "creative" side of color.

So far I've just been using my imagination to "see" it as not being a flat looking mess. I've actually tried to throw a few LUTs on it every now and then but I haven't really be satisfied with any of the ones I have and I didn't want to spend too much time fuzzing around with that when I'm pedestrian at best at color grading.

Thanks for the tip.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

josh04 posted:

Notice that this and the footage you've been posting over in CineD is all log-space, afaik it's fairly typical to have a 'decent' first-go LUT that you slap on to preview/edit so you aren't stuck looking at all that flat colour before the colourist gets involved.

Combed through my mountain of Triune LUTs and managed to find one (1) I found acceptable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yz45PJWJmc

Makes a surprising amount of difference. Though I'm hoping for something slightly more saturated and three strip feeling for the final product.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Resolve is:
-Free
Relatively easy to learn (if you're doing basic stuff. More advanced stuff gets a bit labyrinthian)
-Free

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed's amazing expanding laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finally have a rough cut of the project I'm working on

And a final cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu4jN05IH4

Unlisted because we're on the festival circuit and a lot of them don't like the films being available anywhere.