Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003
Hobos Protect Children From Horses

1st AD posted:

Anyone working with MC5 on Mac? I'm just diving in and trying to figure it out. Where can I change the display preferences? My primary monitor sits on the right and my secondary/preview display on the left, but Avid seems to default to the opposite. I've been trying to dig through the bin for the right setting, but everything is so alien to me right now.

I think you can set up the all of the windows they way that you want them, and then under Toolset you can select Save Current. Your bins and windows should always pop up the way you saved them after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003
I have a question about computers. I’ve been freelance editing for awhile now but my machine is an old 2006 MacPro 32bit machine. I keep putting off this upgrade because it still works, but I think it’s time to get a new machine due to most new software won’t run on the machine.

What are peoples thoughts on either getting a Windows PC or an Apple for editing? The reason I went with Apple and am thinking about staying with that option is because I can run most of the editing software on it. I primarily use Avid Media Composer but some projects call for Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, and I like how I can switch to either one of those. I also do some graphics and compositing in After Effects but that’s about it.

If I went with Apple I think I would just get an iMac seeing as I don’t do large enough projects to get a new MacPro. I think the MacPro would do renders faster than the iMac but is it worth the extra money?

If I went with a Windows PC, is it worth it to build it myself, or get something like an HP or Dell?

Just want to hear what other people are using and what kinds of problems you run into.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003

bassguitarhero posted:

Todieat20, have you considered upgrading to a solid state drive, adding RAM or a better video card? I have a 2006 Mac Pro with an SSD, 18gb ram and an and hd4870 video card and it's still faster than new machines I use at work

I have considered upgrading the machine, but if it’s better to get a new machine I’d rather not throw money into something that might only be good for another year.

My machine is the Dual-Core 2.66 GHz. I upgraded the video card to a ATI Radeon HD 5770 awhile ago. I don’t know if that is still good card anymore. I also have a blackmagic intensity pro going to a monitor and used for inputs. I never purchased a SSD for the machine. This is the way I have my internal drives setup a 1TB boot drive, 2TB Raid 0 for media, and another 1TB for renders. Also I have other externals for backup and more space if needed. I do only have 6gb of RAM and I’ve been thinking about upgrading that, since it is much cheaper now than when I originally bought the machine.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003

Armagnac posted:

If you're going to go Premiere or Avid building a PC for isn't bad if you're working by yourself. The problem you'll run into is that ProRes has become a standard way of delivering files for some people and if you are on PC outputting pro-res is a pain. If money is no object I've heard great things about the HP Z800 workstations.

The 27" iMac with the best GPU is what I recommend for Premiere people who want to stay mac or FCPX preditors. It's a nice all in one solution. For Avid? I've seen people run Avid on a MacBook Air, so you'll be fine no matter what you get (within reason). If you're staying on FCP7, (and in a lot of other software actually) clock speed is more important than # of cores, and RAM doesn't matter (FCP7 can't use more than 2.5gb of ram).

If you're used to working on 2006 Mac Pro, I'd wager you wouldn't notice a difference between a good iMac and the top mac pro.

That's what's weird about the trashcan, for most editors it's overkill, but for compositors, colorists & vfx, it's sometimes not enough, and not expandable.

At my old job we ran 5 HP Z800 workstations and they ran Avid like a champ! But you are right about ProRes becoming a standard way of delivering. We always had to export from a Mac for those deliveries.

I have ran Avid on a Macbook Air and it does work, but it does start to slow down once you add too many effects. I'm thinking the iMac with the highest specs is the way to go. I would just need to start working out hard drive solutions and a new monitor/capture device.

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003

Armagnac posted:

Just don't go with a Drobo, those things are garbage, then again, I don't really like the Promise Pegasus as well... I was going to try the cineraids next.

If you're not doing outputs to and from tape, I recommend just getting BMD Mini-monitor and whatever flanders you can afford for accurate colors.

I actually have a Drobo but I don't do any cutting off of it. I just use it for backup, and I have another online back up as well. I like to be extra careful. I know there is a lot of hate for Drobo's but I've never seemed to have a problem. Is it when people start using them as their media drive or do people just not like them in general?

I've been looking at the Pegasus but I'll have to check out the cineraids. If only I could afford my own Avid ISIS system :sparkles:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

todieat20
Sep 25, 2003
Looking for some advice on a new monitor and wanted to see what others are using. I'm looking currently using a Dell UltraSharp U2711 but would like to upgrade. I'm interested in either going with a 4K display or 21:9.

Any advantages of one over the other?
Also does anyone recommend one brand over another (LG, Dell, BenQ, HP Dreamcolor)?