Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Over the last 3 weeks I've been working with our network guys to implement a new firewall system, and each time it's caused issues that they hadn't been able to fix (nor find the cause of).

Finally, after weeks of troubleshooting, and speaking with the vendor, they got a fix...and surprisingly, it WORKED! So officially, my last late night at work helping them get things implemented and tested was last night, and so far both buildings on our campus are working great. :dance:

On top of that I got my new machine upgraded with Windows 7 Enterprise (been using 7 Pro at home and LOVE it) and so far it's been working fantastic. Everything is so much smoother than it was on XP so now I can actually get poo poo done without the lag my old PC had. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

At work today, I was on the phone helping a lady remotely with a laptop software install and doing the usual chit-chat, waiting for it to finish. Sometimes when I'm waiting for stuff to finish or I'm bored and have a cup too many of coffee, I'll randomly start slap-drumming my stomach (and get weird looks from co-workers).

I happened to start up the belly drum solo while I'm talking to her, and hear her say "woohoo, someone's a rock star!" and she starts giggling, which sets me laughing once I realize she heard me in the background. Honestly didn't think the headset mic would pick it up, but I guess I was drumming with more energy and vigor than usual...made for a fun afternoon at least :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My Totino's Pizza Rolls 40 pack had 41 rolls inside (no I didn't eat them all at once) :toot:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I got a HUGE hug and a kiss from each of my nephews before they hit bed tonight about an hour ago, as a thank-you for bringing them home and playing with them until my brother (their dad) got home from work. Nothing makes a rough day melt away like the sound of kids laughing, wrestling around, playing catch and Wii, and doodling silly things to make them giggle. :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Just made the best goddamn egg salad I've ever made before and had a couple sammiches with it. Plus, got to sleep in this morning after a long 6 day work week, cleaned out the interior of my car, and hit up the store to get some stuff for me, my bro, and nephews. Feelin' accomplished!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not today, but yesterday - my nephews and I were messing around and they tossed my brother's P90X DVD in to work out. We're doing the warm-ups and they start going crazy and being goofy, so I do the same and just flail wildly around and shake my butt and make all sorts of goofy faces. Hearing them both drat near lose their voices and run out of breath from laughing was the best thing after a long day at work.

Also, during the workout, I started doing the "pec pop" (I've been able to flex the muscles since I started working out years ago) and the oldest nephew screams "YOU CAN DO THE PEC POP OF LOOOOVVVEEEE!!" :aaa: We played outside later on afterward, and he goes to the neighbor's house to get his friends...who all march over as he proudly yells "MY UNCLE CAN DO THE PEC POP OF LOVE! SHOW 'EM UNCLE PETE!"

So I did, and they all simultaneously laughed and had the biggest :aaa: looks on their faces. I couldn't help but crack up later on, both nephews even told my brother about it and we busted up. :3:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got lunch at Pizza Hut today and the one near us told us initially that they could deliver, but found out shortly after that our shop wasn't within their specific delivery area. Ended up picking up the pizzas and they gave us 2 free ones for the trouble - so 4 pizzas for $20 for lunch! :woop:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Just got my tax refund after filing about a week and a half ago - hello $2,098! :toot:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got my car fixed and it's not misfiring and idling like crap any more :woop: Feels good to be able to drive my own vehicle rather than the beat up piece of junk car that we use at work that's practically been torn to shreds.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

All my new PC parts came in so I can start building my system tomorrow :) also got my car registered and re-enrolled back at 24 Hour Fitness, saw some people I hadn't talked to in a few months. Feels good to be back in Nebraska, now to get a job lined up...

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

A week back from NC, and feeling like myself again! On top of eating better, sleeping better, and exercising regularly again, I just got a call from a recruiting company about a possible job opening in town :dance: If all goes well, it'll be similar to the IT/desktop support work I've done before, has a high internal promotion rate, and some additional work with server monitoring and maintenance. Fingers are crossed!

E: Got a second lead on a job today - did the first phone interview this morning at 11am, and have a follow-up with the IT Manager tomorrow morning at 8am :) both this and the job above start at $18-20 per hour and are day shift, and fairly close to where I'm staying. Come on, YOTJ :pray:

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 04:36 on May 16, 2012

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

KittenofDoom posted:

Just crossed "MILF" off the list :smug:

:hfive:

The last couple weeks have been pretty great, all things considered - came back from NC the weekend of May 5, got my gym membership renewed, and less than 2 weeks after getting back I landed a nice IT job with a starting pay of $20/hour :dance: Plus, I feel more energized and my body hasn't taken as long to get back into condition as I thought it would after taking time off the gym (while in NC, couldn't afford a membership and was out a little over 3 months).

On top of that, got in touch with an old high school buddy I hadn't seen or communicated with in about 12 years - his family moved during our junior year of HS when his dad got stationed in Germany. I looked him up and he lives on the east coast now, has been in the Air Force himself for a while, and pretty much looks the same as he did in high school. Meanwhile he almost didn't recognize me because (a) I didn't lift weights at the time we were friends and (b) I had a LOT more hair, which has since thinned out and the reason I sport a shaved dome. Pretty goddamn cool to catch up with him and shoot the poo poo for a while :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Came home, had some homemade buffalo wings, macaroni salad and corn on the cob. Topped it off with an awesome dessert recipe I found online for "cheesecake filled strawberries":

One pound fresh strawberries
4oz. cream cheese
3-4 teaspoons powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
graham cracker crumbs (for cheesecake/pie crust)

All you do clean the strawberries, cut a little of the top off and hollow 'em out. Then, blend the cream cheese, vanilla and sugar together, put it in a piping bag (or a sandwich-type baggie with a corner cut off) and use it to squeeze-fill the strawberries. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs on top, or dip them top-down to get a good coating. I forgot how much I liked making little desserts and food like this :)

Red is Dead posted:

Why was my yesterday awesome?

I got to hear my childs heartbeat for the first time. 25 weeks in and I got to hear it. Good strong heartbeat too, according to the midwives.

Congrats! Do you know if it'll be a boy or girl, or is it too soon to tell?

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Jun 22, 2012

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not today, but yesterday - been working as a contractor for my current job for 6 weeks making good money and enjoying myself. My boss set up a meeting yesterday morning to sit with me and asked me the question I've been waiting to hear:

"How would you feel about working for us full time?"

I accepted, paperwork and other formalities will hopefully be done this coming week, and I'll keep my same pay rate ($20/hour). Feels good after bouncing from contract job to contract job, with nobody giving any clear-cut idea of whether they'd be willing to hire permanent. After working 2 years under contract for my last IT support job (was told it would be 6 month contract to hire) and getting burned out with their BS, it's awesome to finally have someone recognize my potential, and be just as excited to hire me on as I am to accept. :)

:woop: :dance:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Anjow posted:

Pay rise! Now I'm on nearly double what I was 18 months ago.

:hfive: Congrats pay raise buddy! I think I mentioned it before either here or another thread but I've been working contract for a company in town, and they offered me full time permanent employment about 2 weeks ago. The big surprise was going from $18/hour as contractor to almost $23/hour as a full time employee, on top of a pretty great benefits package. Plus it's close to the downtown area, which is usually pretty packed on Fridays and Saturdays, and I'm looking around for some decent places closer to work so I don't have to make a 30+ minute commute one way to work, save myself some gas and travel time.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I don't eat much in the way of junk food and such nowadays, so in the past couple months I've dropped a good amount of weight (almost 20 pounds so far). I went to the store earlier, and on the shelf I spotted these bad boys:

The willpower was weak, and dear sweet baby Jesus in a crunk bassinet are they delicious. I feel like someone at Nabisco is reading my mind and I don't know if I should be scared or grateful.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Learning more new stuff each day and today slowed down a little bit at work, so I can finally go through our storage area and get hardware retired from inventory and hauled out of here tomorrow. Also got a call from a lady today in another department who had a minor issue (IE password auto-complete, ugh), she was referred to me by her co-worker Dottie and I got it fixed for her pretty quick. When I was done she said "I'll let Dottie know she was right, you're terrific!" :3: It's the little things that take an edge off an already long week.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

First day of a 4 day weekend (off today through Tuesday from work). Got a lot accomplished at work the last couple days in regard to cleaning out and organizing our storage area, and I'm not on call.

Got a full body 60 minute massage today and it felt FANTASTIC. Ran a couple errands and basically lounged around all day. Got a job interview on Monday with a place in town, hopefully it'll go well and I can get an offer that's better than what I make right now. All in all, hoping to start the new year off and have a better one than this one turned out to be.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got an e-mail from a job I applied to about a week ago - they're still doing the background check process, but based on my resume and first phone interview, they want me as a lead on the 6 month project coming up in February :woop: I'll be working for a large company in my area, with a team focusing on migrating users to a full Windows 7 environment. Pay is $21/hour and upon completion of the project, I'll get a bonus of $1/hour additional paid as a bonus check. There's a very good possibility of being brought in permanently if I stay on the full 6 months and do a good job, so I'm definitely motivated and looking forward to getting out of my current job, which is really sucking balls after last weeks power/network outage mishap. A big bonus is not having to deal with being on-call, there's the possibility of some overtime but I won't have to carry a work cell and work from home for the duration of the project, which will be a nice break. :)

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 19:18 on Jan 20, 2013

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got a better paying job with a company closer to home - I interviewed via phone with them last week, they gave all the background checks and an offer letter, and I got it all taken care of. Ended up getting an e-mail yesterday saying that out of the 5 people they're hiring, they liked my resume best, and want me to take charge as a lead on one of the deployment projects they'll be doing shortly after I'm hired. :woop: Also includes a pay bump of $2/hour over their initial quote and I start on February 12. After dealing with the constant bumbling, finger-pointing, backpedaling, duct tape-and-bandaid fixes, and other bullshit incompetence at my current job, it felt REALLY good to notify the contract company and my current manager that I'm putting my 2 weeks in.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I went to the gym a couple days ago and a couple of the girls that work the front desk pretty much know me as a regular there, so we chat up once in a while. One of them was there and while I was checking in (they have a fingerprint reader that you sign in with), and out of nowhere she said "every time I see you I want to say your name in a silly accent, but I never did because I thought you'd think I was weird or something." I joked around with her and said "well, what makes you think I don't consider you weird already?" and we both laughed it off.

Today I went in and she was there, and happily greeted me with the goofiest fake British accent. :3: Put a grin on my face for the rest of the day, sometimes the smallest things can make a day a million times better.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

My landlord finally said they'd remove the toilet thats been randomly sitting under the stairs in front of my apartment for the past couple years!!! :woop:

Aw man...now where are the raccoons and stray cats gonna poop? :(

All kidding aside, got 2 good job offers today, one full time permanent and one temp contract. Definitely taking the full time position, the other one is $1/hour more but no guarantee of it going from temp to permanent. Just gotta finish up paperwork when I go in Monday for new hire orientation, then a couple weeks of OTJ training and I'll be set. Feels good after my last contract ended sooner than expected (was supposed to be 6 months, new company came in and took over, ended up outsourcing at least 75% of IT functions to their own outside company and my last day was 2/1/13) and I've been fidgety and concerned about finding work for almost 2 months.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Started my new full time permanent job today! :woop: First day went well, a couple hours into my shift my boss pulled me in the office to talk. I had no idea what was up, but it was good news - in her words, "We brought you in to get your foot in the door. We know you can do this job but we can see more potential in you and want to keep you around for a long time to help you learn and progress in your career. We also haven't had someone who's been able to take the lead and sort of manage our evening shift, and we all think you can definitely be a good role model. I'm excited and happy that you accepted our offer, but again...I see this as a jumping-off point for you, I can tell you have what it takes to move up the ladder and prosper."

It honestly felt great to hear someone say that...I've had a lot of other past jobs where managers might say "good job" or "you've got potential", but any time I'd bring up the possibility of learning more about different areas and teams (especially the networking side of things), I always got some kind of excuse about how there wasn't time, or it was too busy or understaffed, or in some cases, it was a temp/contract job that never turned into anything permanent. Having a boss that understands my desire to learn and experience more, and who has zero problems letting me meet with people in other groups and teams to gain more knowledge, is definitely exciting and makes me feel better about myself and the job I'll be doing. :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Went out on my lunch break today and picked up the last copy of BioShock Infinite that Walmart had in stock :woop: installing now, can't wait to play!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got approved for a new one bedroom apartment :woop: should be able to get my stuff packed and get moved next weekend, planning on trying to get everything in 1 or 2 trips Saturday. Just gotta get the power bill, cable/internet, and renter's insurance taken care of and I'll be set. Closer to work, better neighborhood, reasonable prices...only downside is it's on the third floor, but it's recently been renovated so all new vinyl flooring and counters in the kitchen and bathroom, new dishwasher, range and fridge, and a nice little outdoor balcony. :) Plus it's literally walking distance to a couple grocery stores and the gym I go to, so mucho gas savings on top of it!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

It's my last day at my crummy desktop support job - I start at a new place Monday and will be working more with the networking and server side of IT, versus being a help desk/support analyst doing the same stuff each day without a challenge. Excited and anxious for Monday to get here, and have a 3 day weekend to boot :)

Also got a memory foam mattress topper for my mattress, since the mattress is kinda firm and I sometimes wake up with some stiffness in my back. I didn't think 1-1/2" memory foam would make much difference, but holy crap it's like going from a regular, basic firm mattress to a pillow top. Woke up today with no stiffness in the back and felt really refreshed and well-rested, best $50 I ever spent.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Finally got my brakes fixed up today and it cost a lot less than I thought it'd be :woop: brakes were squeaking bad in the front and rotors were warped but I had bought a lifetime brake package when I had them done last, so no labor charge and pads replaced at no cost. Got new rotors, clean and adjust, and an oil change and it came out just under $200 after tax. Feels good to have silent brakes again and no pulsing when I'm coming to a stop :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Let's see, this day has been full of funny, awesome stuff:

- Got a cup of coffee at the gas station, and the cashier gave me a discount because I've been a regular there (large coffee for $1 instead of $1.50)
- Saw some praying mantises doin' it on the front door and railing to the building I work in
- A client I worked with yesterday sent in a pretty cool e-mail commending me on the work I did, and requested me personally to help in the future when needed :)
- One more day until I go out of town for a 3 day weekend vacation with friends before all the water parks close down for summer

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I got to be in a bullshit fake reality show pilot for a downtown Vegas restaurant and a little person told me I reminded her of James Franco.

Please tell me this is how it started

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

About 2 weeks ago I got temporarily "promoted" to a higher position at work - initially I was a support engineer, and got moved to what's considered a primary engineer (usually more tech knowledge, experience, and sort of a first point of contact for clients). Anyhow, the other primary engineer I work with was WAY swamped and we had a bunch of tickets that hadn't been dealt with, so I jumped in and just started knocking stuff out that I knew about immediately, and when it got to tougher things or areas I wasn't sure about, I worked with my engineer partner and we got it all hammered out. We started with almost 60 tickets, and in the first week we cut that number in half - and that included other calls and tickets we were getting in during that time.

My boss had one-on-one meetings with everyone, and told me how impressed he was that my partner engineer and I got so much knocked out in such a short time. He admitted he didn't expect that much of a difference, but it floored him how willing I was to step up and shoulder the extra work to help out my coworker so he wouldn't get swamped and be stressed out. Even my coworker had been talking me up about how surprised he was that things were getting done, clients were happy and giving great feedback, and how nice it was to have someone to rely on that could get things finished and wasn't afraid to ask questions. My manager is trying to pull some strings now to see if he can get me in this position permanently, which usually doesn't happen until at least 6 months of employment with the company. :woop:

On top of that, one of the girls in sales went out and got a couple 6 packs of pumpkin beer for our little office group (about 8 of us total) and we sat around bullshitting and having a couple beers for the last hour or so of the day. That, and we got to prank a couple other guys who were out of town for a client meeting all day, we ended up toilet papering both their cars before we took off. I can honestly say I LOVE my goddamn job, between all that happened today, having a laid back environment, and being able to use the LAN over lunch to play UT or Goldeneye deathmatch, it's a far cry from any of the other tech jobs I've had. :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Hung out with my folks yesterday, they invited me over for lunch and told me they had a "surprise". I, being the goof I am, figured my stepdad's motorcycle was fixed and ready to come home, so he needed my help to go pick it up (no big deal, he was in a minor accident about a month ago and he's got a Harley trike).

Turned out they wanted to take me to get a new couch to replace my busted-rear end futon as an early Christmas present :3: picked up a nice one that's in between a love seat and full size couch, since the living room in my apartment isn't very big. It gets delivered Friday afternoon, I'll have a nice, new, comfy couch right before the weekend :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Finally one step closer to getting this IRS stuff ironed out and taken care of - long story short, back in 2009 I offered to help my brother in NC with his business due to some financial difficulties he was having. I ended up putting his 3 auto shops in my name so that he wouldn't lose them and all his business/personal property, at the time he couldn't file bankruptcy protection because he'd done so about 4 years before that due to another situation with his now ex-wife's side of the family. Anyhow, I found out this past year that he'd had a TON of IRS back taxes that hadn't been paid to the tune of almost $100,000 total, he told me he was going to take care of it, and that didn't happen...resulting in the IRS coming after me personally for just over 50% of the balance (just over $53,000) and levying my bank accounts and threatening to go after my personal property and other assets as well.

I ended up talking with them about the levy and taxes after it all happened, got my bank funds returned, and initially set up a payment plan based on my own personal finances and bills/debts that I owed. They came up with a plan that was $350/month, I notified my brother about all of it, and he told me again he'd help take care of it. Cue a month ago when I got another letter stating the IRS was rejecting my payment plan due to non-payment, I went off on my brother who made more excuses about not having the money or supposedly setting up automatic payments that should've went out (he never set up the payments at all, from what I learned later), and told him it's poo poo or get off the pot time. He's basically been dodging me and making excuses ever since, so I said gently caress it and decided to take the route of filing an appeal with the IRS requesting a collection due process hearing to get everything hammered out. I sent the forms in, along with a detailed letter indicating all that happened over the last 3 years, including work/residence history and everything else pertinent to the old business (which my name is no longer associated with and has since been transferred to someone else's name).

Just got the call today that they're forwarding the paperwork to appeals, someone should contact me within 90 days and they can set up a phone or in-person hearing. Hopefully all goes well and I can either negotiate something, or prove that what's happened was not my fault and get things cleared up for good. After dealing with a brother I can't trust because of lies, lack of communication, and poor/zero financial responsibility and planning, this is honestly a breath of fresh air. Still a little stressed but not nearly as bad as I used to be, and thankfully the IRS can't levy my accounts or come after me while the appeal process and hearing are being hammered out.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Had an awesome one-on-one with my boss, who appreciated the hard work and willingness to learn since I've been moved into my tier 2/primary engineer slot. I'd brought up that it was odd to me that some people seemed hesitant to ask me for help, since I have no problem helping out however I can. He pointed out that the guy before me had such an antisocial, negative attitude that people were afraid to ask him for help, because he always blew them off or made excuses to not help out. It was great to hear that other people on my team noticed a huge difference when I took over the spot, in that they knew I'd be willing to help out (or, if I couldn't, I'd find someone who could so they wouldn't be left hanging). It's great to know that people appreciate the work I do and my willingness to lend a hand, it's like a complete 180 from previous jobs where it never seemed like I could please anyone or do enough to make any difference. :)

On top of that, I got my profit sharing bonus, which was almost $700, so I've got some extra cash to pay down bills and get some nice Christmas gifts! :woop:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Had a really good day today, work picked up again like usual, kept steady and the day didn't drag on. Came home, made a dozen cheddar bacon jalapeno poppers (baking now), made some bitchin' cherry lemonade, got some leftover homemade lasagna to go with it, and I'm chillin by the TV. :feelsgood:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Yesterday was pretty awesome - got to go on-site for a client who needed a PC delivered and 2 of their UPS units replaced. My partner and I got one rackmount UPS set up and working, but we couldn't fix the other unit - it's a UPS box that's on the floor and the wrong internal batteries were ordered for it. Wasn't a huge deal, because said client was cool with it, and they're on like the 40th floor of one of the big office towers downtown. They have a super sweet high speed elevator that makes your ears pop when you go up, and the view was goddamn amazing from their floor :)

That, and finally got a few tickets knocked out for issues that were annoying me, after looking at them with fresh eyes. Feels nice to knock things out and not only that, have my boss notice that I'm going way out of my way to learn new things, get experience when and where I can, and also not have people respond negatively when questions are asked. Helps that I'm brushing up on certification material so I can get a good start on an MCITP cert, and also see what else is available, especially from the networking side.

Basically, it's nice to not feel "stuck" in some help desk role and/or be given empty promises about the possibility of advancing my career. :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My manager set up a short meeting for our team today around 2pm, he'd scheduled it earlier this week and we all thought it was going to be news about one of the new office spaces our company was looking at since we're rapidly outgrowing our current leased space.

Turned out instead, I was surprised with a promotion! :woop: Felt awesome to be appreciated for the hard work I've done, I've always had an upbeat attitude and this is maybe the second job I've ever had where I love going into work each day. I've learned more at my current job than at any other corporate IT or help desk position I've had, and actually don't mind working extra to get things done on or ahead of schedule. I love my co-workers and even my clients, sometimes things get a bit stressful or crazy but I try not to let it wear on me.

That feeling of being appreciated, valued, and rewarded for going above and beyond is the best, and it's definitely humbling compared to other places that treated me and co-workers like expendable slaves or numbers. :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Got some good sleep last night, woke up early and felt refreshed, and got a lot done. There were a couple electric outlets in my bedroom that were faulty, both would pop/crackle whenever anything was plugged into them and randomly shut off. After doing a little research online, I found some info on how to replace the electrical socket, everything was pretty straightforward so I thought I'd go ahead and do it despite having little knowledge. Went to Home Depot, bought a handful of sockets (2 to replace, 2 as spares in case any others failed for any reason), spent under $3, turned off all the breakers, and it took all of 20 minutes or so to replace both bad sockets. Now both are working better than ever, no more worries about fire hazard, sparks or damage to any of my electronics :)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

I cleaned the poo poo out of my bathroom and, drat, does it feel good to accomplish something like that.

:hfive: Did the same, plus the kitchen! Gonna go through and do a quick steam clean of my carpets this weekend too, and get rid of some other stuff that's piled up. Mainly because I'm sick of looking at it, but also because I've got a date Saturday and don't know whose place we'll end up at when it's over...lol

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not necessarily just today, but the past couple days have been awesome for a number of reasons:

- Finding out the growth on my stepdad's kidney and the small spots in his lungs are non-cancerous, benign growths. My family has been really stressing out over the holidays after hearing news that he could potentially have cancer, and there was the chance that the spots in his lungs and on his kidney were 2 different types that would need different treatments. Biopsy results on both the kidney growth and lung spots came back negative for cancer! :woop: :slick:

- In the PYF little things in games thread, I found out that GOG.com has a TON of old games that I used to play back in the 90s that all had been updated to work with newer versions of Windows. Playing Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2, and Theme Park for literally the first time in over 15 years has been a blast, and I picked up all 3 games for $15 :D

My birthday was on Thursday the 8th, so these 2 things were the absolute BEST things in my mind. Stepdad still has to have surgery to remove his kidney with the growth on it, but in the meantime I'm helping both my folks with anything they need. I'm even setting up a spare laptop that I don't use much with Windows 7 so that I can get all these same games (and maybe more) loaded on it for when my stepdad's recovering. I know he'll be laid up several weeks healing and I even pointed him to GOG.com so he could check out the game catalog and see what's there, this way I can secretly purchase and download a few things for him so he doesn't get too bored. Already got him a 3 month Netflix subscription for Christmas along with a Chromecast and he loves the poo poo out of it all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

:siren: MY DAD FARTED TODAY :slick:

Backstory: Dad had to go in for kidney surgery this past Tuesday, doctors found a 7cm tumor on it that was causing him to urinate blood. He went in to get checked up again, and found small growths in his lungs, with the news of "possible cancer" for both those and the kidney. A biopsy on his lungs came back benign, they think the growths are collapsed air sacs and scar tissue from being a former smoker. His surgery was the 20th and ended up lasting about an hour and a half longer than usual, because of a lot of fatty tissue around the kidney itself. Total size of kidney, tumor, and fatty tissue? Over 6 pounds.

Over the last week, the doctors and nurses have been waiting for him post-surgery to have some kind of gastric activity, usually passing gas or going #2. He hadn't had gas since before surgery, so we were getting concerned - doctors want to make sure everything is working and was put back properly post-op. Well, overnight last night, he had a couple good, long toots come out, so the doctors moved him up to eating some liquids today :woop: with luck, tomorrow he'll get some semi-solid food like pudding or applesauce, and early next week we'll have him home :)