Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Wrap it up, this thread is over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Tough, but if I have to choose I vote #1

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

As a fan of (proper) football and American sports as well, I say - all praise US Soccer for they are doing god's work. Let their incompetence continue for many years.

If one day somehow (proper) football became truly popular in America, we'd be doomed in more ways than one. America would do the EPL what the EPL does now to the poorer European leagues; and if the likes of Lebron James and Tom Brady decided to go for (proper) football, we'd be the San Marino to their national side.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/mar/30/us-mens-soccer-team-olympic-qualifying-falure

From the comments on this one.
Yeah it confused me at first too, I guess the commenter is English but sounds ridiculously American.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Isn't that one of Deadspin's lovely former writers? And whatever happened to Billy Haisley, he was a goldmine for this kind of thing.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Caaaaanadaaaa! This is for those long suffering football die hards north of the 49th parallel: for the immigrants and sons of immigrants, for those that quietly wince at the sound of the word "soccer", for the true football lovers that watch MLS "fans" arrive to their seats 20 minutes into the first half and leave to buy nachos + beer in the 35th minute and to all those parents that drive kids to indoor bubbles for winter soccer! And especially for those bums who think a game is all about scoring and love their TV-made helmeted steroid heroes.

Herdman somehow has achieved unthinkable miracles: this is a TEAM above all, all for one and one for all, humble, hugely athletic, good forwards, Davies, incredible work rate and off-the-charts solidarity, building momentum game after game. No more long 50-50 balls, no more defensive collapses, no more years in the Concacaf wilderness. If you are playing Canada... bring your A game!

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

https://twitter.com/GeirJordet/status/1525755974346321921

He does this one-on-one and often cements his ask with his trademark HUG. The asking process is intimate, safe, and loving.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Frankston posted:

RIP Suarez

Someone do this format with Harry Maguire and idk, Titus Bramble as the ghost

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Thanks, now I'm gonna be fixated on Laporte's "long, gazelle-like legs" every City match

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

Never forget

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

A closely contested match between NWSL All-Star and SL Benfica (basically), not much separating the two.

Many people have observed that teams like Japan and Spain (men and women) have a homogeneity problem: their players are too much alike, and lack a sort of diversity in profile that we see in teams like England and France.

I don’t think a lot of people realize that USA also has this problem. The players are mostly interchangeably fast-ish, tall-ish, lean-ish, white-ish, leggy-ish, etc. They are mostly good at the same sorts of things. (Obviously not exactly the same, and there are exceptions, but you can say the same about Japan.) This is especially acute in the frontline. I remember seeing them live against Germany in Red Bull Arena. It was very difficult to tell the front three from one another other: Morgan, Smith, Pugh (Swanson). You wonder why they don’t seem to have a plan B in attack? Well these players are all good at the same things: aggressive pressing, running the channels, crossing, arriving in the box. If you want a forward to do something else, there’s simply no one there.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

cagliostr0 posted:

Are you trying to use race science to explain bad tactics?

No, but someone from the comment section on The Guardian's match report did.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

"These responses from Sogni are weirdly refreshing because thoughtful answers from those in power on these issues are rare. Football, like other areas of society, and AI are going to become increasingly intertwined in many ways. Sogni shows that the technology can be used to challenge power structures in a way that hasn’t been possible before."

That's the Guardian writer, not the AI (allegedly)

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

https://twitter.com/AFCAjax/status/1748073971797410231

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1754250502349738058