Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I thought you weren't allowed to have TRP posts in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Bacon of the Sea posted:

Well?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Sounds about right. I mean who doesn't love American Sports?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Good morning.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

All great points. The fans' hypocriticy is pretty sickening.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Leeds?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

My methodology was to think of a team that is the opposite of those descriptions. Then post the name of that team.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That has to be parody. It hits all the right marks. They even think Celtic are an Irish team. Only someone who's really studied Americans could get all the little things exactly right.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Imagine if Charlie Adam played baseball... wow...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

dilbertschalter posted:

idk if penalty shootouts are racist, but they legitimately are pretty unfair to the team that goes second.

Anyone have any stats to back this up?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I just checked this year's CL quarters and semis on UEFA's website and if you add up both teams' 'ball possession' 'stat' it averages about 61-62 minutes a game.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yo if anyone comes across funny american articles about the euros don't forget to post them here. :)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Looks on par with what we get in Estonia. And probably in most other places.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I can't believe something as poo poo as that guardian photoshop contest exists.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Aren't there hundreds of clubs in England? Confusing...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I say Sunderland wins 4-0..Hattrick by Jozy and an assist to Adam Johnson.

The key here would be to target jozy as much as possible with low ball onto his feet into the middle, and let him either create a chance for himself or use the overlapping forward alongside him to create chances for others....That should be the game plan.

Also, Sessegnon should be told to support jozy as much as possible by playing a bit more advance postion...too often, during the Fulham match, we saw jozy completely isolated in front with Sessi nowhere near him.

Roberge is very comfortable on the ball like Gerald pique, but I wonder whether he should start this one, specially with Lambert aerial dominance....Maybe Cuellar would be a better choice here just to handle Lambert.

Finally, I believe DiCanio should think strongly about removing Larsson out of the starting XI because he's not really bringing anything to the table...
I know this may not be popular, but I'd rather go with Cattermole alongside Cabral to give the midfield an extra bite with 2 ball-winning CM that will chase 24/7....Cattermole will also have something to prove so he'll be up for it.

I would also suggest that DiCanio should consider playing another proper striker to make sure Jozy has the support on top..

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Here's some funny stuff: http://www.buzzfeed.com/majorleaguesoccer/why-there-is-no-better-time-to-love-us-mens-77oq

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Jozy post!

quote:

You further prove that it's your team that is the problem, not Altidore. Like the whole team, Altidore had a bad game as well. We all know there is an inherent bias against American players than their counterpart European players in any European soccer league and American players have to try 100x harder to establish them because of this bias but to write a player off after 2 games in any sports is beyond asinine.

quote:

Consider yourself lucky. We American fans are going to put Sunderland on the map or else it will be going to back just 4 of you in an empty stadium.

quote:

Deceptively quick and strong. Thought he had a very good game v Southampton. Our supporting players offered little to help him out!

quote:

We have to show faith in Altidore...He just need one easy goal..maybe a tap in...then everything will come flushing out...As I've stated, he's a bit of a confidence player that scores in bunches once he starts.

quote:

But the case for jozy is solid...He baggs 3 goals for the U.S, then comes back to sunderland for 2 match and cant get any...Maybe it's just the fact that he's not getting enough support on the pitch in a sunderland shirt.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

vaginal culture posted:

Lol at those delusional crybabies

Please dude, just stop. Nothing worse than a fellow American soccer fan who is a suck up to the Europeans because he wants to fit in with them and want their approval. Just stop, you are making yourself look bad,

I'll tell you right now, I'm here to support Jozy. Since he is playing for Sunderland, I will support Sunderland as well. But any idiotic argument against Jozy which has no validity to it, I will be here to point out the facts and correct the person. Now as I have said myself that Jozy didnt play well on Saturday and he needs to get in the rhythm . Don't get me wrong, by all means, do point out his mistakes, but to say that he is not good or he sucks after 2 games, is when Im here to point out the facts.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I think I got the joke as well. Good.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That is what the league table should always look like.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/1/7/5283488/premier-league-projections-the-new-big-four

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Kill all Man United fans.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Hahahahahahahaha

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

quote:

In a paper we published recently, using an entire season of ball tracking data we showed that home teams had significantly more possession in the forward third which correlated with more shots and goals while the shooting and passing proficiencies were the same. Using our automatic formation analysis, we extend this analysis, and show that teams tend to play the same formation at home as they do away, but the manner in which they execute it is significantly different. Specifically, we show that the formation of teams at home is significantly higher up the field compared to when they play away. This conservative approach at away games suggests that coaches aim to win their home games and draw their away games. Additionally, we also show that our method can visually summarize a game which gives an indication of dominance and tactics. While enabling new discoveries of team behavior which can enhance analysis, it is also worth mentioning that our automatic formation detection method is the first to be developed.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

SERVICE!! I have never heard this much about SERVICE before Jozy. If anything at all. What is this poo poo that strikers need to be served?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I don't know who to hate more - Americans who like soccer or the ones who hate it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I bet they're going to say those tournaments don't matter. They're going to say it because USA aren't any good in those.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

quote:

Europhilic allure and fashionable otherness have made soccer the new baseball

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That's a good joke.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

It's so jarring seeing them try to foist the poo poo on football, where it has absolutely no place and never will.

I once told this to a real life American and he said they will have a place because people used to say the same thing about baseball and possibly basketball and look at them now. Who is right, who is wrong? Like, whoa.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

It may surprise people to know that over the course of the season, Sunderland's win percentage in all competitions when Altidore has been involved is 36% compared to just 11% without him. In fact, Sunderland haven't won a single Premier League game without Altidore getting on the pitch, taking just two points from seven games. May be that's a coincidence, I don't know. But may be it's time to also cut him a little slack and give him a little love.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Very problematic indeed.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-scoring-goals-doesnt-guarantee-a-championship-in-european-soccer/

quote:

Soccer presents a Pythagorean challenge because about a quarter of its matches end in draws, worth one point each in the league tables. Because wins are worth three points, the most accurate Pythagorean analyses overestimate most teams’ points totals, as soccer analyst Howard Hamilton has found. I got the same result when seeking the best exponent for the last 21 complete seasons of the big four European professional leagues, using data compiled by Opta, the soccer-stats providers and analysts. The best fit,2 an exponent of 1.19, overestimated the average team’s final standing by 4.6 points.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vd-SQUaY_g

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

No idea if they're being sarcastic or they're serious or they're pretending to be serious to keep their American jobs?!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Makes sense. Americans are definitely second-rate at sports. That's why they only play amongst themselves.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Hmm USA... slightly worse than England but better than France and Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That is so good. Moderators, please rename me Nerdy American Sports Fan.