Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
What was wrong with that? That he made a pretty well known literary reference? What a geek!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Mel B's gotten fat, innit.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Did we ever find out if a plane could take off off a giant treadmill?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

"good in the air" means "heads ball straight to the opposition in the penalty area" right?

If he's getting blamed for that goal, I don't think he should be. They had 3 players marking one attacker and no one at the edge of the area. A Chelsea player should have been somewhere near Sigurdsson. Probably Mikel.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Syncopated posted:

Leicester City is the Ukip of the football world. A small club with a meagre budget punching way above its weight while playing attractive football that people want to watch. For months the "expects" have been predicting that Leicester's bubble will burst, they were wrong.
How good it is to see the fine people of Leicester enjoying their city's success, I hope on June 24 they will be celebrating another victory of the small upstart defeating the arrogant establishment.

Wrong thread.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

wicka posted:

few things in american soccer are a more active impediment to the sport's popularity than these godawful supporters groups

How so?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Nice problems you have in the US. Over here the average ticket sales for the highest league match is around 10.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

To everyone at the guardian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qNDon9_82U

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Everyone ready for some advanced stats?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

How about some OPSiBwF Ag?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That really is beautiful.

Plus if you scroll down, the next article is called How Messi Compares with LeBron. I think he concludes that LeBron is better because he Won The Play-Offs or something.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I once met a fella on a bus who claimed to have invented the classic Estonian chant that would translate to "the referee's a human being."

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Nice hosed up fingers.

Not mine. I'm physically perfect.

:lol: How to take a screenshot.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

lmao what a great loving thinkpiece!

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

everything is racist to these people, isn't it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

wrong

thread

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Yeah top 25 of the EPL era. According to The Telegraph. Or whatever.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Cantona's too high. 6 seasons in the Prem and he only scored more than 15 goals once. 6-9-18-12-14-11. Agüero has scored 23-12-17-26-24 for example. Even Lukaku has 3 seasons of 15 goals or more.

I wasn't born yet in the 90s, of course, so I don't know - maybe he wasn't a striker?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Is 'computer janitor' the new 'hipster'?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

What are the current memes? Also can someone explain how snapchat works to me?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Wrong thread. #muslimcore is a reality.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Good point about breaking into the US market being very important though. Considering their population is 5x of the UK and 7x of Spain. And very wealthy.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Not a terrible idea to be honest.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

football analyst people are the loving worst because they think a lack of existing analysis means that they can say whatever they want/make up their own stats. some dude was trying to convince me that crossing was an inherently bad thing to do and that teams should never do it under any circumstance

What did he suggest to do with the ball on the wings then?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

Wow, player in the center of the pitch gets more action. Shocking relevation from the advanced stats crew.

Not always. You can check the fella's twitter for all kinds of examples. Not really sure what's 'bad' about what he's doing.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Robbie Savage is thick as poo poo. A few minutes into it he doesn't understand why anyone would need to interview Ryan Giggs because he's a famous player.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

T Football C

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Oh man is this guy in for a rude surprise

Whatever. Replace make money with launder money in some cases. He is still right.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Bill Simmons made rambling long articles filled with tenuous comparisons and pop culture references trendy ten years ago, so every sports blogger in the US tries to do it now.

I think that stuff is more in the same vain as freedarko - attempted sophistication. Bill Simmons's writing was very sincere and explicitly done as an everyman. This is everything but.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

It has its uses.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

That is an impressive amount of effort for nothing. What's his name on SA?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

What are you supposed to do according to the rules?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

I wonder what his thoughts on #BlackRegistaMovement are.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Are we supposed to know who Rober Gabi from Zimbabwe is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Wrong thread.