Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Proud owner of a 1983 300SD

God I love their turbodiesels

Also own a Jeep YJ that has been repowered with a OM617 5 Cylinder

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

trouser chili posted:

Real men drive without turbos. Daily driver OM616.912 represent. I'm still loving my 1981 240D 4-speed. It's slow, but comfy! It's also been very easy to work on, and asks for just enough maintenance to keep me interested.

That is what my non-turbo 81 Rabbit Diesel is for :colbert:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cushy posted:

1984 190D 2.2 (NONTURBO) 5-speed here, just bought it this summer from the original owner. It only has 67k miles on it, but I plan to fix that :colbert:.

As for Benzs that are stupidly easy to work on, the older ones seem pretty simple engine wise, until you find the monster that lies within (vacuum pumps :toot:)

Get an electric vacuum pump and put a plate over the mechanical vacuum pump

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Second time I've heard this bit of advice. Something about the mechanical pumps dumping bearings into the engine. Do you know of a commonly used plan and parts list for this modification?

Here is the pump I am using:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Stainless%20Steel%20Brakes/884/28146SW/10002/-1?CT=999

The cover plate I had to make myself, but its easy to make so you should have no trouble doing so

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cushy posted:

The only reason I don't want to do this is because as it sits, everything I need for my car to run does not require electricity. So I could take out my alternator and battery while the car was running and the only things I would lose would be lights and my control cluster, but the car could still go forever.

Well yes of course. Get a new vacuum pump then, I believe they fixed the bearings issue

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just bought a 1980 300TD Station Wagon...rebuild thread to follow

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Nice, same year as my coupe. Picture related: It's your new climate control system, minus the GM exploding hockey puck compressor.

Yeah.....I'm avoiding opening the AC compressor lines at ALL, in fact for the engine removal tonight, I just dropped the compressor out of the way, lines and all

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Enjoy the sounds of a failed piston or connecting rod in my 300TD

http://youtu.be/7EoN38iPapw

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deconstructing my 300TD for engine removal

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Francis Baconator posted:

That thing is gorgeous, can't remember the last time I saw a wagon from that generation. I'm looking forward to seeing what you find inside. It's like some sick Christmas day gift-opening.

More to come, I was removing the manifolds today.

The car is in overall EXCELLENT condition for a 1980, has all the luxuries (SLS Hydraulic rear suspension, electric windows, 4 wheel disc brakes, power steering, WORKING AC, etc.)

The seats are not even TORN! The carpeting has no tears or stains, the only torn up parts is the dash and the wood paneling is falling off (nothing that can't be solved by some epoxy)

Not to mention, no major body cancer, minor rust only, its in perfect health for a 30 year old wagon (despite the unhealthy engine)

Oh it also came with TONS of spare body parts, spare brake and front lights, I have everything I need to restore it to original OEM condition. Oh, and unlike every other old car I've gotten the trunk lid opens like a spring. All for the cool cool price of $500.

BONUS: Interior

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 25, 2011

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sleepy Robot posted:

Does anyone here have much knowledge/experience in using WVO in old diesel Mercedes? I'm debating whether I could eventually consider a WVO converted Mercedes as a reliable work-commuter or if it would end up becoming little more than an experimental project.

If you don't filter it right it will destroy your engine and injection pump

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cyrezar posted:

I will own a V12 MB one day but I'd pass on that one.

I'd buy it, gut it, and turbocharge it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd buy it and stuff the engine into a smaller Mercedes.

You'd just keep the engine in the living room.