Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

melon cat posted:

Can somebody please recommend a waterproof bag for hanging onto valuables while you go snorkeling? We bought an Aquapac and it's either defective or just plain useless. It doesn't keep water out at all.

I'm not a fan of bags, as the air inside expands/contracts when you go diving (im a huge scuba diver) so i use otterboxes. http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/waterproof-cases,default,sc.html They make phone cases, but also waterproof boxes up to 100 feet (more than enough for snorkeling unless your a badass). They are pretty rock solid. Other manufacturers make waterproof boxes, so you can shop around, but i would recommend a solid box over a bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Crowley posted:

I'm looking for recommendations on a rechargeable flashlight, preferably with a wall mount.

I've been looking at the obvious solution to my need - the Maglite - but I'm sure there are other options available that might be just as good or maybe even better.

I'd like the light to have the following features:
- Rechargable from a 110/240v plug.
- Wall mount.
- Water resistant - at least for heavy rains and splashes.
- At least 1 hour run time.

I'd like a decently bright light too if possible. Price matters less than quality.

TFR has a big thread on flashlights and there are a few dudes who really know flashlights in there. Ask in here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801258

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and plug Reef sandals and flip-flops. I have weird feet and every single pair of sandals I've ever worn have given me horrid blisters.

Not the Reefs though. Insanely comfortable, VERY well made(I'm 270 pounds and they stood up to me climbing all over rocks, and a scooter crash) and most have a bottle opener on the sole. They are pricey, 50 dollars or so, so if you're the kind that loses sandals maybe they're not the best. But they're perfect for me.

I've had a pair of reef sandals for 5 years, and they are still incredibly comfortable. They get a shitload of wear from me as well. I legitimately think the reef fanning is the best sandal ever made. I found a place going out of business a while back that was selling them for 10 bucks? I have 3 pairs sitting in a closet. I don't think i'll need sandals for at least 20 years.

http://shop.reef.com/fanning/d/1019_c_103

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

thepitgoddess posted:

I'm moving up north (DC/Midatlantic region) next year. I haven't lived in a place where it gets cold since I was seven- I've been living in Florida for 17 years.

I'm also horribly allergic to wool. What other fabrics are good for keeping out cold winds and poo poo?

I usually hate doing a big jacket so i like to use multiple layers, and a windproof softshell jacket. Hell, anything really to cut the wind with the outer layer and then you provide your insulation in the inner layers. Companies like north face, arcteryx,columbia, etc have categories of their jackets that are windproof so you can search to find something in your style and budget. Goretex is waterproof and wind proof, so you'll see a lot of outerwear jackets use that. Polartec fleece is super nice at keeping you warm and insulated, but not so much windproof so its used as an inner layer usually. Leather is also pretty drat windproof but poo poo for insulation, so the whole layering theory applies again.

I have one of these http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-jackets-vests-filter-category-soft-shells_windwear/men-39-s-summit-thermal-jacket.html and then use cheap REI fleece undergarments to keep warm during the winter.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

An 8oz flask is definitely a hip flask. I'd like to know of a quality one too. Everything I see is the crappy kind on Amazon that sells for like $4. I think a bunch of companies use the same one and rebrand it.

Honestly, how quality do you need a flask to be? I've used the generic coleman flask for years and its still kicking. http://www.coleman.com/Product/2000006877?gclid=CLGE7ZPHtLQCFUeRPAodB3gA3Q#.UNkVpo7pbnM

I have dropped it off a boat, sealed, and found it 109 feet underwater with booze still good. It fell out while rock crawling and a jeep with 42 inch tires ran it over and it didn't break. They are nothing special, but they are a solid metal flask that will keep on kicking.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

lidnsya posted:

^^^That method has worked great for me too. Red wine also works pretty well.

-------------------------

A lawyer friend of mine just did me a huge favour out of the kindness of his heart, and I'd like to get him a nice thank you gift.
He's a family man in his 50s, likes golf and hockey, doesn't really drink much, but he has a super funny weird sense of humour.

I'm thinking maybe some kind of interesting knick-knack for his office... probably in the $20-50 range.

Any ideas? Thanks!

A bit out of your price range (115 bucks), but this would be perfect http://www.hockeystickputters.com/ . Maybe you can find something similar for cheaper. I just thought golf+ hockey = happy gilmore putter.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Anyone got recommendations for a foot massager without breaking the bank?

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

Whats the best drain cleaner for biological shenanigans?

Aka, roommates lovely band friend got drunk and threw up in my shower, and all assured me it was clean since he got it all shoved down the drain... It is of course, now draining like poo poo and i need to clean it out. Roomate has promised to reimburse me whatever the drain cleaner costs and said douche is not allowed at our house again, so thats at least taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

I just found out that my stash of REI Merino wool socks (a few various styles) got into by my puppy and I'm in need of some new wool socks. Are there anything that are as comfy/warm but maybe a tad cheaper? I'll hit REI if I need to, but i figured I'd see what you guys recommend for some wool socks. I used the hell out of these from daily wear to multiple pairs for cold hunting trips.

• Locked thread