Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ferretts posted:

This is an old link, but is there any more news/confirmation that Wolf and Spice II will get a Blu Ray release?

No, there usually isn't until an actual solicitation comes out. Or they specifically mention they got the Blu-Ray rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

That's outstanding. Now if we could only get TGWLTT on BD as well....

It's been announced. Bandai just doesn't have a release date for it yet.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Redline was supposed to come out February. But if that release date held, it would have been out even before the Japanese Blu-Ray release so that was obviously a problem. Manga has delayed the release to a Summer/Fall listing with no actual release date for it yet.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Anime isn't streetdated like Videogames are. If Funimation (which released FLCL) sends Rightstuf the discs a week early, Rightstuf will ship it a week early. This is actually a pretty common occurrence and I've seen stuff ship even as far as a month ahead from its intended release date.

I'm sure the anime companies don't care because it's money in their pocket regardless.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

DarthJon posted:

Anyone want to bet Evangelion 2.22 will be available for sale this weekend at Katsucon? They are showing it there

Not likely. It's intended release date is late March. But I don't go to cons so I don't know if they push out product that far in advance.

Also, just FYI, unless they've specified it's english dubbed, they're showing it subtitled. I saw it in January at the theater and it was then.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Vaerai Archon posted:

So is it primarily just Bandai and Funimation who put out the BRDs? There's some series like Twelve Kingdoms that could definetly benefit for being on Blu-ray however it seems like Mediablasters only put Moribito and Queensblade on them curretly. Most publishers still seem to stay on DVD in the US it seems.

Allthough I never finished Moribito and the blu-ray seem cheap enough anyone know how are they quality-wise?

Well, Viz is loving retarded (Released one boxset of Monster and then dropped it like a rock). So who knows if we'll ever see them do Blu-Rays. Media Blasters is walking a very fine line financially and Blu-Rays are expensive so you probably won't see them do them unless they've got a guaranteed seller on their hands, and NISA definitely won't do them, and Aniplex has done them (R.O.D and those Kara No Kyouaki(sp?) movies) but have been stupidly expensive.

Sentai has done a couple BR releases. Off the top of my head. They've done Canaan, Needless, and Ghost Hound. There's probably some I'm forgetting too.

Midjack posted:

Did the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex BRs ever come out in NA? The Japanese release has been out for a while now and I thought we were supposed to get a release in January but nobody will admit to stocking them.

Nope. Solid State Society was supposed to have a BR release but it got delayed. Not sure if it ever got resolicited.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

doomisland posted:

All the Disney rips look amazing. I was watching Beauty and the Beast and it looked amazing too. I'll probably actually pick that up and Nausicaa. Also Eva is out in a week~

Eva is actually out right now if you bought from the right places. It's already shipping from Rightstuf.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a reason that Summer Wars is "Under Review" on Amazon? Link: http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Wars-Blu-ray-Michael-Sinterniklaas/dp/B004DMIIOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1303851860&sr=8-6

The only thing I can think of is that the picture of the case is showing it comes with a slipcover which apparently was only a first run only thing.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

It's the only way to get the movies as of right now, either in DVD or Bluray. I just find it such a change from Eden of the East: the series being available in DVD or Bluray. I probably would have gotten bluray only if they did give you an option.

They did this for 2 reasons

1) Save on packaging costs

2) Location. In places like Best Buy. They have an anime section, however, if you put out anime on Blu-Ray, they will shove it in with all the other Blu-Ray titles instead of putting it into the anime section and thus it lowers visibility of the title. Put the Blu-Rays in a DVD sized case, and then it's back into the anime section.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Moeru posted:

I've noticed Amazon selling quite a few series like Baka Test, Angel Beats, Spice and Wolf on Blu Ray. Are any of these worth it or is it just the 720p copies?

Baka Test and Angel Beats should be 1080p. Spice and Wolf doesn't have it's rear cover art yet which would say so. But since it's Funimation, if it's not an upscale, it should be 1080p. They're pretty decent about that.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
If there is any news. Animenewsnetwork would have it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Looks like Arrietty is getting a US theatrical release in Feb 12, so expect a blu ray release around...summer sometime. Also noticed there's a new listing for the complete eden of the east series. It's coming out at the end of Dec. Anyone know the story on this? It looks like the same thing as the series set they released a year ago.

It's a re-release of the series that's a bit cheaper than the Blu-Ray or DVD set initially released and it's also a combo pack (DVD/Blu-Ray)

FUNimation has gone on record saying re-releases always give a spike in sales. So it's not surprising.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

We should also be getting The World God Only Knows this month but you really should wait for a price drop on it. It's only the first season (12 episodes) and it's got an MSRP of 10 bucks, with the lowest preorder price on amazon being 49.99.

My copy is on hold for me at Rightstuf for 38$

Fun fact with Rightstuf. If you order in advance and they run a studio sales that knocks the price down before it gets sent out, just e-mail them and they'll change the price. I order a month or 2 in advance for the things I want and as the various sales take place I keep e-mailing so my order gets cheaper and cheaper.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
HMV has already called me to let me know it's in,, so I will be watching it tomorrow! Can't wait!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GoldenNugget posted:

TGWLTT is a great movie with fantastic art. I only saw it in dvd quality I think and it'll look fantastic in bluray quality.

It does. I bought the Blu-Ray and gave my DVD away to another anime fan.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

The DVD case is pretty snazzy, though. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it (I already have the Blu-ray).

And yeah, TGWLTT is probably my favorite anime film.

I kept the SE case and I gave the person the Blu-Ray case with the DVD. Haha.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Ineffiable posted:

Anyone know why TGWLTT is so expensive on amazon? I figured it's been out for a while and it could easily be nabbed for like $20 or less.... but the lowest it's been on Amazon is 28 bucks. Odd considering Redline launched at 20, and Summer Wars could be had for like 18 bucks at one point.

1) Bandai Entertainment tends to be more expensive.

2) Get it from Rightstuf, 23$

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No, I know that there are some that's region free, but I believe the good majority of them aren't.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Amazon has some listings up for Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart on BD, but there's no release date just yet. More than likely they're going to be pushed out when Arriety hits shelves.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

THANK loving GOD. I'll be keeping a very close eye on this, but this would be some fantastic news. Kind of surprised they didn't go with howl's instead of whisper, or has howl's not been out long enough for a US release?

Howl's was 2004, so they probably wanted a more older title and I assume they'll probably push Howl some other time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

I meant the blu ray release of howl's, since I think there has to be a certain time period between a JP release and when disney is allowed to release it here.

Ah, in that case, Howl's was only 4 months after Whisper, but close to a year after Castle in the Sky.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

This first blu-ray is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Castle-in-the-Sky-Blu-ray/dp/B00549I39W/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1331647482&sr=8-6

Be wary North Americans...apparently its the U.K. release and according to a reviewer it is region-locked.

http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Sky-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Combo/dp/B007JNTOBC/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331651739&sr=1-14

Yeah, that one you posted wasn't what I was talking about at all, seeing as how it was released in 2011 and all and as you mentioned, an import.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

Amazon sent me two emails last night cancelling my Castle In the Sky and Whispers of the Heart pre-orders. :(

Yeah, the listing is still there, but they don't have any dates listed anymore. I think they'll still probably be released, but an actual release date has yet to be worked out.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
AnoHana getting a BD release here thanks to NISA

http://nisamerica.com/index.php?nav=ap&aid=anohana

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Moeru posted:

Jesus christ, the Madoka Magica releases are $100? :gonk: I understand there's non-special releases but that's just insane for a soundtrack and some art

75$ if you look online. It has a bit more than just some art as well, but it's a collectors item, it's pretty much for the hardcore fans.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

They sold very well, but the company that sold them no longer is releasing new products.

The good thing is, is that the Blu-Ray format is a completely new license. So another company can just pick up Blu-Ray rights and sell it with no problems.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the original Japanese company actually owns the rights to any dubs or subtitle scripts produced by a licensor, so they'd probably be included with the BD license.

That is correct, a lot of license rescues tend to come with the old dubs. For example on one strange case. When Geneon went under, they had licensed Moribito and were originally going to release it, but then folded. However, they had already paid for a dub, so when Media Blasters grabbed it, they got the dub that had already been made.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

twinight posted:

The P4 thing probably involves Aniplex though and their general business practice lately seems to be to do their best to bring Japanese style pricing to US releases, so who knows.

Well, Aniplex USA isn't quite that bad. I think at this point, every Japanese company knows that simply trying to release Japanese style discs at those price points just don't work. Look at how bad Bandai Visual flopped.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Kara no Kyokai BD: $499.99
Durarara BD: $149.98
Madoka Magica BD: $119.94 RE/$224.94 LE
Fate/Zero BD: $699.96
ROD the TV BD: $159.98
Rurouni Kenshin OVAs/movie BD: $64.98/$54.98/$54.98

Are they higher priced than than other American companies? Yes. Definitely, but they feel that they can charge the extra bit for products that are mostly "premium" deals (like the ROD TV boxset, and the Durarara BD set which is a LE thing as well)

Do they actively engage in Japanese style pricing? No. Fate Zero and Kara No Kyoukai are Imports, and Kara is getting a domestic DVD release which will be way more reasonably priced. Aniplex USA is either doing imports, which targets pretty much the people who were going to import anyway (but they get the profits) or they're doing pretty much premium type releases. That is in no way them trying to actively engage in the Japanese pricing market here. You can go buy Baccano BD from them for 50$. Which was noticeably absent from your list.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

fivegears4reverse posted:

Acting as though the pricing is merely 'higher' without placing extreme emphasis around it is kinda hard for me to accept. The market isn't going to expand or improve by taking well-loved series like KnK or Fate 'One Of The Best Shows Across Two Seasons' Zero and throwing them at us in stupidly overpriced limited import editions, while then throwing the rest of the poors/well-adjusted individuals a bargain DVD collection as a token 'gently caress You, you don't submit yourself to draconian pricing practices, enjoy your scraps'. How about some more BD releases that don't include the completely inane and insane poo poo most people don't need to have on display?

Again. Do you know who they are targeting with those releases? PEOPLE WHO WOULD IMPORT ANYWAY. Those releases are in no way for normal casual fans and believe it or not, there people who actively engage in that. The release was supposed to be "highly limited" but it's still actively available for order, and maybe shows that they really aren't moving and that there's less fans that are willing to pay those prices than they thought. You're also acting like if this wasn't happening, we would have had Fate/Zero BD's with english dub's sometime soon after the Japanese release, which is pure conjecture on your part, as you're assuming Aniplex of Japan wouldn't try to dick over any US company anyway. Which would more than likely happen because Japanese companies like to be dicks.

They are absolutely engaging in Japanese-style business practices, if not strictly by the actual prices themselves, then through the mentality that drives them. They know that they will absolutely get some extra sales out of people with more money and love for an anime than they have actual financial sense, which is kinda what the Japanese companies are doing over there. That they got 'one' show right doesn't exactly excuse the fact that we're essentially being told to get excited over a reasonably priced (maybe!) KnK DVD release in the Blu-Ray thread. It's kinda funny, because in one of your posts not long before this one, you correctly state that the Japanese know that they'll hardly get anyone outside of Japan to spend a stupid amount of cash for a show (maybe just enough to sell through an exceedingly limited stock of 'imports' specially set aside to take advantage of people who have the money to burn), but then they recently announced each season of Fate/Zero to hit the wallet for roughly $400 bucks apiece.

They hardly do get a big amount of people to spend that money (as the still in stock Fate/Zero which was supposedly "highly limited" shows us). Your whole argument seems to be "They charge more because they're selling less copies so they're actively engaging in Japanese business practices" is honestly hard to argue against because with that logic, anything that's above Funimation's/Sentai's pricing is actively engaging in that. If that's your claim, I'd guess you'd be right, and I mean, Aniplex USA is a branch of a Japanese company so I guess you'd be even more right that they do that. I think the question really should be though "Is it as bad as people claim" and I'd say no.

I find that paying a higher price (It'd be 50$ for 26-27 episodes of Durara than for 24-26 episodes of Funimation Blu-Rays) is more preferable to paying a lower price and getting something that's complete poo poo quality-wise (See the new company releasing Galaxy Express 999 series with hardsubs and stream quality picture, or their release of Bobobo which is Dub only or in Japanese but no subtitles and you have to read from a script! But hey, 31 dollars for 38 episodes, WHAT A BARGAIN!).

We'll probably never even see a dub of it, which is hilarious. The cost of a dub is hardly any excuse. I mean goddamn, I paid 30 bucks a DVD for special editions of all of GiTS:SAC back in the day, got a dub out of it, still ultimately paid LESS for MORE than Aniplex is offering here. Maybe they just want me to say "Thank you" and walk on my way.

So wait, you're comparing this strictly to the imports, right? Because look at this, you paid 30$ a DVD for GiTS, at 7 discs each, which comes to 210$ after all is said and done. Yet, the 150$ that Aniplex now wants for the Baccano LE BD is them fleecing us? Sure, compared to modern day pricing it's high, but it's still better than what we paid during the days before the bubble burst.

As far as never seeing a dub for Fate/Zero, that's purely speculation on your part. We'll see how that plays out.

Aniplex is hardly defensible, and I wouldn't feel too broken up if they suffered the same fate Bandai suffered here in the US. They've certainly managed to make themselves more deserving of it in a shockingly short amount of time. The only bad thing that would come out of it is that we miss out on proper releases of some shows, and an rear end in a top hat businessman will think and wholeheartedly believe "Those silly westerners don't want to buy my show for retarded amounts of money? I guess there's no interest in anime outside of Japan." Not once will they even stop to consider the possibility that their business practices, both in the production of and sales of anime, are possibly at fault.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1139619&start=120

There are people who are so desperate to whiteknight for this company, they call releases like the Durarara BD 'high but approachable'. They say that people bitch about the prices, despite being cheaper than they are in Japan, because we've been 'spoiled' by companies like Funimation releasing their poo poo at far more reasonable price points. I suppose they're right. I'll fortunately be literally thousands of dollars richer, so I'll find a way to manage my disappointment for not being able to actually support them, probably through buying shows from other companies whose heads aren't stuck twenty feet up their collective rear end.

So, he claims that the price for the Durarara set is indeed high, but affordable? I would agree. As I pointed out, it's only 50$ more than what Funimation charges for a 24-26 set of episodes. So while definitely higher, I don't think that they're pricing it completely out of range. I guess I'm whiteknighting too?

Yes, They're more expensive and yes, I would LOVE if their releases were more priced in line with Funimation and some other companies (I'm not talking the imports either, I've never bought those and am perfectly fine waiting for a proper domestic release which I feel will happen in time, if others aren't that's their own problem) but if they release something I really want, if I feel that the slightly higher price is justified by the quality I know I'm getting, I will gladly purchase it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

R1 pricing has gotten way better and I want it to stay that way.

And it is going to for the most part. Most companies won't go back because they know they can't, and really Aniplex is just filling a small "boutique" line where they don't have much but they add bells and whistles onto it to justify the higher pricing. Funimation/Sentai will remain on top and Aniplex is really such a niche player in an already niche market that there's no way R1 pricing will go in that direction based on what they're doing. They will never, ever influence the market in that fashion and that's why I'm not worried one bit about what they're doing. Kara No Kyoukai sold out, but Fate/Zero's still on shelves despite being "highly limited" so I'm not going to hold my breath on the whole import thing taking off.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The only reason it's not getting done for a show like Fate Zero is because if they released a regular BD pack of Fate Zero's two seasons side by side, they'd probably sell even fewer of the special editions than they already have. They absolutely know what they are doing is crazy, and they're hoping there are enough fans out there who will throw their money away by purposefully limiting the options available to them.

There also has has NEVER been a day 1 simultaneous release of BD's released in Japan and North America (Maaaaybe Kurokami? That release was hosed up anyway). If that import wasn't being offered, you know what we would have? Nothing. We'd still have to wait well over a year or more for a normal priced BD release (That's not gimped, because doing it within a year's frame tends to have Persona 4 bullshit attached) because that's how the Japanese companies will always operate.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

Tell that to Gundam Unicorn.

Which is also labelled as an import with high pricing? A little rephrase would help, there's never been a US licensed release from a company like Funimation/Sentai, and a Japanese release BD offered at the exact same time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

AzraelNewtype posted:

None of this makes sense, but it is a thing that happened, and therefore not never.

Okay. You have one. What does that change? Not much, because it just means my wording was poo poo and if I said "next to never" I would have been right. It's nitpicking at this point.

Also, it wasn't a Bandai Entertainment release. It's Honneamise which, which is why even after Bandai folded they still release Gundam Unicorn because they're pretty much just an arm of the main Japanese company and as such don't have to deal with licensing to a third party and can actually co-ordinate that (notice how the DVD only discs stopped getting released and were labelled Bandai Entertainment?). So my point still stands where a 3rd party licensor like Funimation/Sentai/Nozomi/NISA won't be doing day/date releases because they don't have that connection.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

In your desperation to justify highway robbery, you completely misread what I posted. I wasn't even talking about simultaneous Blu Ray releases in the US and Japan. Not even close. I can't even begin to imagine how you even got that idea stuck in your head.

What I was saying is that the only reason we're not seeing a regular scaled down release of Fate Zero (for the normal people) being released simultaneously with the limited edition Fool Box (which is something companies like Bandai used to do with their own shows, notably again, GitS) is because they're taking advantage, or at least trying to take advantage of the fact that there are desperate people out there who need their animes and are willing to pay that kind of money. By setting up these 'import boxes', they're not actually attempting to expand the market. They're simply trying to convince a portion of the market outside of Japan that the business practices that have are barely sustainable over there are just something we ought to get used to if we want to have shows within a reasonable time frame.

Gee, I dunno. Because that whole first part of that second paragraph there is utter poo poo and that sounds exactly like you want day/date simultaneous release or close to it? The only reason we're not seeing a regular scaled down release is because we wouldn't have one regardless, not because the import box is stopping it. As I said, that import box is aiming at the crowd of people who are impatient, who wouldn't wait regardless, and would have imported whether or not this was in place. Maybe because of the ease of it they got a small chunk more who just didn't want to deal with the hassle of ordering from Amazon.JP, but we would have never have seen a domestic Blu-Ray release at this point even without that box being offered and that's the truth. Things would just remain the same old status quo where things would take well to a year after the Japanese release. I don't know why you think Fate/Zero is any different.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Librarian posted:

Personally, I'm ready to prepare for the worst, ie AoA saying "well we gave you a BD release already, so we're going to put out a cheaper DVD set and be done with it." We don't know yet what their long-term plans are for these series, and I don't have a problem with assuming that they'll gently caress it up given the long history of Japanese companies meddling with NA releases. Plus, you know, this whole tangent got started because the Aniplex-produced Persona 4 series will have no Japanese track on its NA BDs.

Oh, it's definitely possible they could gently caress it all up and, well, I won't be surprised if it does. Japanese companies love to gently caress things up all the time (there's apparently one company out there saying they don't license BD's at all). But anyone assuming that if those import sets didn't exist we would have had a BD release anytime now is laughably wrong. There's no way they'll just sit on a license if they don't like the terms for releasing it here, right? *Looks at Legend of the Galactic Heroes*

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Has there been any word on a collector's edition of the new Berserk movie bluray in the US? Apparently we're getting one here in the UK but there's no details yet on what's in it.

No. Viz has already solicted a release for it (Nov.27th) and it's going to just be a standard release. I'd be surprised if Viz does one, but they still have some time to do it if they wanted to.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
:siren: Sentai Filmworks has licensed PenguinDrum for DVD and Blu-Ray! :siren:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Sentai Filmworks licensed Fate/Stay Night and is giving it a Blu-Ray release. Don't really care to upgrade my DVD for that one.

Bodacious Space Pirates is getting first BD release in January and Mardock Scramble Second Compression is coming out then too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Sakurazuka posted:

Man, no wonder no-one wants to release Bluray's here though, apparently Madoka sold like 700 copies in the first two weeks. :smith:

Really? and didn't you guys have the sanely priced ones?

Apparently the Madoka super duper priced LE's were the most popular items here among the 3 options they gave. So maybe anime fans were angry they just weren't spending enough money?

• Locked thread