Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Are many of the US anime releases region-free and if so, is there a list of which ones anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finally got around to watching the blu-ray of Arrietty and it's probably one of the most gorgeous looking animated films I've ever seen. And that soundtrack...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I was a bit disappointed with the movie overall, though :(

How so? I'll admit it was a bit slow, but other than that I couldn't fault it at all. I'm not familiar with the original 'Borrowers' at all though, if that has something to do with it. It was definitely my favourite Ghibli film since Spirited Away anyway.

VVVV Ah, that's true, I guess I'm not really bothered by films in which nothing much happens though. :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 3, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why are there still no Evangelion TV blu-rays? Japan :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope, the new movies are the only Evangelion you can get on Blu-ray.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There are BD versions of the Turn A compilation movies so hopefully it's a case of when not if.

Also I'm pretty convinced that blurays will be the last HD physical media before everything starts switching over to digital downloads.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 24, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has there been any word on a collector's edition of the new Berserk movie bluray in the US? Apparently we're getting one here in the UK but there's no details yet on what's in it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Man, Lain, Utena and Giant Robo would be great on Bluray, chance of them getting a UK release: zero at this point. :britain:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Totoro and Castle of Cagliostro are out in 7 days. :chord:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like they finally decided to try stupid prices in the UK, Tiger & Bunny is being released in a BD/DVD combi set for £28 per 7 episodes, so that'd be the equivalent of $180 for the whole thing if they stretch it to four sets. :shepicide:

Edit: Looking around it seems it's a limited collectors edition with a vanilla release 'likely' later. Hmm.

Man, no wonder no-one wants to release Bluray's here though, apparently Madoka sold like 700 copies in the first two weeks. :smith:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 25, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

Also wondering if they'll announce Brain Powerd to go along with Ideon and Overman King Gainer, so that you can get the ultimate Tomino experience in HD for both better and worse.

gently caress that, where's Turn-A? (Ideon is cool obviously though.)

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's their own drat fault as far as I'm concerned. Manga have trained consumers to never trust in a Blu Ray release as there's always this small off chance that they might not continue the series in the format.

While I will hate them forever for pulling this poo poo not once but multiple times, Madoka was the entire series in one box so unless people have been put off buying anything at all on bluray I don't know how much of an effect that would have had.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amine Limited a new UK based anime distributor has announced that their first acquisition is Cowboy Bebop on DVD AND Blu-Ray. No word on whether that includes the movie or not yet, but it's still great news.
Haven't mentioned pricing either, but they said at the start they're going for something in between the super-high collectors market and the throw everything onto as few discs as possible cheap approach.

Edit: Apparently Sony still has the rights to the movie, but they're looking into it.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 22, 2012

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Obviously they're printing the digital frames onto actual cell and re-filmimg the old fashioned way, which would pretty much be the only justifiable reason for charging 700 loving dollars for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd love to back that Kickstarter, but since they're more than surpassed their goal and I don't really have $55 for a single movie sitting around AND it's now getting an official UK release, I think I'll wait for that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honest Thief posted:

So someone is releasing Bebop on bluray region2 in july, the few shots I found from the japanese edition look good

Yup, I've had mine pre-ordered since they announced it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebo...y+bebop+blu+ray

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At £25 per set, it still costs less than I paid for the DVD's back in the day.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime Limited just announced the acquisition of the Gurren Lagann blu-ray's for the UK, it's the same deal as their Cowboy Bebop release, one set for DVD's, two sets for BR, which has upset some people but I'm just glad we're getting it. A company actually releasing stuff that isn't 'whoever uses the Manga Entertainment name nowadays' is always good (though Kaze seem to be doing a pretty decent job on that front at the moment too). Err, when they get round to releasing something anyway.

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

I think it's developed a following after the fact because Mamoru Oshii went on to direct Patlabor, Ghost in the Shell, Sky Crawlers etc. and Yoshitaka Amano became the character designer for Final Fantasy.

I always liked the fact the Oshii himself as gone on record as not being entirely sure what it's about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saying on Facebook that December is just a placeholder date because they've had to set the release date back a couple of weeks due to some sort of glitch and the real release date is most likely early October.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaseous Snake posted:

drat, if I knew that I'd have imported the Cowboy Bebop Blurays sooner!

You should probably check the price of Japanese blu-rays before you say things like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime Limited announced they're picked up Escaflowne for release on BluRay and DVD in the UK. At this point they may as well just be choosing from a list of my favourite things ever.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're in the UK (or somewhere that can order from Amazon UK) they have pre-orders up for Garden of Words BD at just over £13, which is less than most new releases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HYYHP26/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DVD's Anime Limited are releasing in the UK are from the Japanese remasters so I'd be very surprised if the Funimation ones weren't too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Squallege posted:

Also holy poo poo the picture quality of End of Eva is terrible.

I'm always amazed at how bad the EoE DVD is, its like a perfect storm of lovely image quality and lovely translation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna be Evangelion's 20th anniversary in a couple of years which may also coincide with movie 4, I'll be very surprised if we don't get the bluray's then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TenementFunster posted:

man, where the gently caress can I find a subbed copy of the DYRL blu-ray? i know that poo poo aint licensed

Google BakaBT, they have pretty much everything that's translated and not currently ongoing, (unless it's licensed by Funimation anyway).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DamnGlitch posted:

Manga Ent is full of poo poo lords and idiots. They sat on the rights for years and put out a poo poo version of End of Evangelion for fucks sake. They didn't even repress that poo poo to take advantage of Rebuild's popularity.

Manga Entertainment as was no longer even exists, it's just a name and a logo to put onto DVD's in the UK because people recognise it. It's changed hands a few times but Kaze uses it at the moment and they're pretty decent distributors, despite milking stuff they think is going to be popular (Tiger & Bunny and SAO split into four sets for £25 each :rolleyes:).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone is sure picking some weird blu-rays to release in the UK; K and Karneval, did anyone even watch those?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or the movie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess Anime Limited couldn't escape the curse of Aniplex for long, they just put up the first volume of Kill La Kill for preorder, £60 for nine episodes lolololol.
There might be a regular edition 'late 2015' double el oh el.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After having it preordered since January this year when it was supposed to come out in June, I may actually get the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition BD on Monday. :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the Anime have a pretty poo poo record for BD defects to be honest, at least the ones in the GL set are stuff I'll probably never notice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

But does gurren lagann actually have a bluray release in NA? All I found was just the movies.

I assume the UK set is region locked.

Nope.

And yes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah, really? That's nuts, Belladonna is an amazing film. That's even more surprising than something like Angel's Egg getting a bluray, since it doesn't have a big name like Mamoru Oshii behind it (I guess Osamu Tezuka worked on it for a bit but didn't really have much involvement in the finished film.)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It exists because it makes the picture on the display TV's in Walmart look nice and smooth.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No-one would notice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

But it's CHEAP ANIME, don't you see? You should feel honoured for the privilege of paying $350 for 26 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's like Shindler's List would be if in the end he never actually saves anyone one and then gets put in an oven himself.

It is a good film though.

• Locked thread