Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

buglord posted:

Man are there any 1440p +120Hz OLED HDR monitors that don’t look insufferably cringe?

It’s bad enough with video cards but I just stick those in my unlit, windowless case. The few of the monitors I’m looking for have back panel lighting, cringe stands, and even one of them lights some dumb silly pattern onto the desk itself.

My Dell S2716DG from 2017 fit the bill perfectly as a professional looking monitor.

I was going to suggest this one but then I noticed that even this one has some rgb in the back. Pixio is about one of the only brands I know that don't do the fork feet tripod thing, and it's nice to be able to put things on top of the flat base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I returned my AW3225QF given it was worse scratch-wise than the prior unit, but because of sales, the fact it’s the nicest monitor I’ve ever seen/used, and I’m a glutton for punishment, I went ahead and ordered another hoping that the third time is the charm.

If anyone hasn’t used Rakuten, I signed up and got 20% cash back, plus Dell has 10% off if you get a monitor + accessories, and my card has a cash back option. So my final cost was well below retail and what the MPG 321URX would be if I could have ever gotten it.

So if anyone here is still considering it, there’s some decent options to bring the price quite a bit down.

Oh and a new firmware is out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Oh and a new firmware is out.

quote:

Fixes & Enhancements
1. Fix over-sensitivity of abnormal temperature detection potential mis-trigger Abnormal Thermal detection message pop-up.
2. Fix potential image clipping at the edge of the left or right side of the panel.

First issue is something I thought was fixed after the first firmware update. I saw it happening with the launch firmware, but I haven't seen it since that update. Maybe there were some edge cases where it could still happen that I haven't encountered.

Second issue is something I heard about happening with the AW2725DF, but I never noticed happening on my AW3225QF. If it was happening, it was probably pretty infrequent, and a pixel or two lost probably isn't very noticeable on a 4K monitor anyway. But still, glad to see that any potential clipping from the pixel shift is fixed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 18, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I changed my monitor backlight to a warm orange and it's a nice backlight.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Your mileage may vary, but for those who want a big OLED monitor without breaking the bank, LG has officially discontinued the C2 and G2 and you might be able to snag a 42" LG C2 for $499 in-store at Best Buy: https://slickdeals.net/f/17348835-lg-42-class-c2-series-oled-evo-4k-ymmv-499?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

change my name posted:

Your mileage may vary, but for those who want a big OLED monitor without breaking the bank, LG has officially discontinued the C2 and G2 and you might be able to snag a 42" LG C2 for $499 in-store at Best Buy: https://slickdeals.net/f/17348835-lg-42-class-c2-series-oled-evo-4k-ymmv-499?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

If you follow the guide on the OLED gaming subreddit (it's a huge rear end google sheet) you can make these displays act as PC monitors where the power state is synced to windows, no boot up logos, etc. The only reminder that mine is technically a TV is the footprint.

I vacillate between keeping mine or going for the Asus 32" OLED, and at this point I'm happy with my current display and will consider the smaller footprint displays when they are more available.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

god please help me posted:

I was going to suggest this one but then I noticed that even this one has some rgb in the back. Pixio is about one of the only brands I know that don't do the fork feet tripod thing, and it's nice to be able to put things on top of the flat base.

I mean as long as the RGB on the back can be disabled. That’s a very nice office looking monitor though that wouldn’t be embarrassing to own :shobon:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Why does my AW3225QF like to turn off and on so much. The scenerio is I wake my PC up from sleep and it turns off and back on 4 times, same with my TV which is a secondary monitor on my video card (but not active until I activate it). The final weird thing which happens once and a while, while gaming, the screen just goes black and then comes back on. It's rare, but it has happened 3 times now. I don't even have HDR on most of the time which is what I thought was causing this.

I searched all over for this, seems weird more people are not complaining. It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 18, 2024

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Rusty posted:

Why does my AW3225QF like to turn off and on so much. The scenerio is I wake my PC up from sleep and it turns off and back on 4 times, same with my TV which is a secondary monitor on my video card (but not active until I activate it). The final weird thing which happens once and a while, while gaming, the screen just goes black and then comes back on. It's rare, but it has happened 3 times now. I don't even have HDR on most of the time which is what I thought was causing this.

I searched all over for this, seems weird more people are not complaining. It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

My AW3423DWF does that second thing too. Unclear what is actually going on and isn't a particularly Google-able error state.

I might try to disable G-Sync at some point and see if it still happens but it isn't 100% reproducible to test easily.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

buglord posted:

I mean as long as the RGB on the back can be disabled. That’s a very nice office looking monitor though that wouldn’t be embarrassing to own :shobon:

Well hey, I'm glad I threw in a nice recommendation for once. I have their IPS 27 inch monitor that I enjoy quite a lot.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJLTx12UQM

The dual mode feature isn't for me, but it still seems really compelling for sweaty competitive FPS gamers who also want a big 4K monitor for other stuff. Though I feel like LG screwed up with those cropped modes. They should have found a way to make them full resolution instead of just 1080p with lovely bilinear scaling. That would be 2880 x 1620 at 24", and current bandwidth tech can definitely support that at 480hz using DSC.

This monitor is also using the new RGWB subpixel layout that LG will be using for most WOLED monitor panels going forward. Previous WOLED monitors used RWBG, which caused all kinds of text clarity issues. Text clarity seems pretty decent now, judging by the couple examples shown in the video.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 19, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wouldn't you be able to change the scaling from being performed by the monitor to the gpu if it's just an edid switch? it sounds neat in theory, and i basically have the inverse form of it through a faked 4k support for 1440p from back when ps5 would only send 1080p if you didn't fake a 4k edid

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I have an Acer Predator X34 GSbmiipphuzx 34" but it flickers when connected to my macbook pro and doesn't switch the USB peripherals when switching between display port and usb-c. Is there a G-SYNC monitor that is 34"-36" wide and can

1. KVM Switch properly when switching inputs (usb-c -> usb-c and usb-a when on display port)
2. USB-C works with M1 2021 Macbook Pro / Mac Mini
3. G-SYNC + high refresh rate. (does this matter?)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aJLTx12UQM

The dual mode feature isn't for me, but it still seems really compelling for sweaty competitive FPS gamers who also want a big 4K monitor for other stuff. Though I feel like LG screwed up with those cropped modes. They should have found a way to make them full resolution instead of just 1080p with lovely bilinear scaling. That would be 2880 x 1620 at 24", and current bandwidth tech can definitely support that at 480hz using DSC.

This monitor is also using the new RGWB subpixel layout that LG will be using for most WOLED monitor panels going forward. Previous WOLED monitors used RWBG, which caused all kinds of text clarity issues. Text clarity seems pretty decent now, judging by the couple examples shown in the video.

I wonder if these are going to fly off the shelves/have inventory constraints like the non-Dell QDOLEDS currently. I would think the $1400 price point is going to scare a lot of folks away.

It looks like a good display to me. My only nitpick, for my use case, is a lack of TOSLINK output for consoles.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Reasier posted:

I have an Acer Predator X34 GSbmiipphuzx 34" but it flickers when connected to my macbook pro and doesn't switch the USB peripherals when switching between display port and usb-c. Is there a G-SYNC monitor that is 34"-36" wide and can

1. KVM Switch properly when switching inputs (usb-c -> usb-c and usb-a when on display port)

Could you clarify your first point? I have a M27U, and if I hit the KVM switch it switches inputs from my PC's DisplayPort to my M3 Pro's USB C and vice versa, and everything plugged into the USB A ports on the monitor also switches (I have my mouse, keyboard, and speakers plugged into those), but from my reading of 1) it seems like you might want something else? If what I described is what you want though, definitely look into Gigabyte M series monitors, I'm very happy with mine.

However one thing I'd advise looking into with your current monitor is if you're using the right USB C cable and if your monitor has a Type C compatibility setting. I don't get high refresh output from my M3 Pro unless I'm using a USB C 3.0 cable AND I have that compatibility setting turned to "Off." I'm not sure if the specifics, but I'd guess some monitors need to expect the full USB C 3.0 input instead of some generic input (in the case of something like HDMI output to the USBC input? maybe?)

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Could you clarify your first point? I have a M27U, and if I hit the KVM switch it switches inputs from my PC's DisplayPort to my M3 Pro's USB C and vice versa, and everything plugged into the USB A ports on the monitor also switches (I have my mouse, keyboard, and speakers plugged into those), but from my reading of 1) it seems like you might want something else? If what I described is what you want though, definitely look into Gigabyte M series monitors, I'm very happy with mine.

However one thing I'd advise looking into with your current monitor is if you're using the right USB C cable and if your monitor has a Type C compatibility setting. I don't get high refresh output from my M3 Pro unless I'm using a USB C 3.0 cable AND I have that compatibility setting turned to "Off." I'm not sure if the specifics, but I'd guess some monitors need to expect the full USB C 3.0 input instead of some generic input (in the case of something like HDMI output to the USBC input? maybe?)

Yea what you describe is what I want. 27" is small for me, ill see if they do an 34" wide.

The cable is right, its a thunderbolt usb-c cable.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
What would you choose between

Odyssey G9 49’

or

LG UltraGear 45GR95QE-B

Going to use a 7900XTX, so performance shouldn’t be an issue.

Doing my 4-5’th year hw upgrade. Currently I’m using an old AOC 3440x1440 ‘34@60hz. Really like the 21:9 for work and gaming, but I would like something larger & OLED. If I could get an Odyssey OLED ‘40+ 21:9 I would probably get that.

Love the look of the G9 OLED, but is the 32:9 a bit too excessive? Also it seems many games aren’t supporting it.

Planning on stacking my old monitor above the new, and both with mount arms.

If you have any alternative ideas, please recommend them :)

Work is mostly coding and IT ops.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Have you seen either in person? I have the 45GR95QE and it's very large. There is also the issue of the low PPI, which doesn't bother me at all but some people say they have serious screen door effect with it. If possible check local Best Buys or other stores that might have it on display so you can actually see it.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Branch Nvidian posted:

Have you seen either in person? I have the 45GR95QE and it's very large. There is also the issue of the low PPI, which doesn't bother me at all but some people say they have serious screen door effect with it. If possible check local Best Buys or other stores that might have it on display so you can actually see it.

Living in Denmark, no Best Buys here sadly.
Seems no physical stores have the LG in stock or for display locally.

I have measured everything, and the size shouldn’t be an issue for my office or desk.

Regarding the PPI - I’ve read the same, and I really don’t think it’s an issue. I will not be that close to the monitor, and most people have said the same that they aren’t noticing it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'd go with the G9. I have one after coming from a 39 inch ultrawide LG and while I was hoping for an LG OLED ultrawide with a bit higher resolution, the 3440x1440 is going to feel bad at 45 inches. Not only is the PPI low, but with the OLED subpixel layout not being great for text in Windows, I find the higher resolution of the G9 to make the text usable.

https://github.com/microsoft/PowerToys/issues/25595

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

JunkDeluxe posted:

Living in Denmark, no Best Buys here sadly.
Seems no physical stores have the LG in stock or for display locally.

I have measured everything, and the size shouldn’t be an issue for my office or desk.

Regarding the PPI - I’ve read the same, and I really don’t think it’s an issue. I will not be that close to the monitor, and most people have said the same that they aren’t noticing it.

Well, if you do go with the LG be sure to buy from somewhere with a decent return policy if you set it up and it is an issue. I will say that I really like mine, but I do find it difficult to recommend to others. I think the G9 is more easily recommended to others in general.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Reasier posted:

MSI MEG 342C (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/meg-342c-qd-oled) seems to fit the bill. Any concerns? Im not a fan of qd-oled, will there be burn in?

actually this one -> MSI MAG341CQP QD-OLED (https://www.amazon.com/MSI-MAG341CQP-QD-OLED-Monitor-Response/dp/B0CTRXPJMC/ref)

Ugh, only 15W charging via the usb-c....why would they do this?

Reasier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 20, 2024

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone seen this before? I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers, have an M32U where this is happening and a 1440p SDR monitor as a secondary. This happens when I play a game that uses HDR and then close it and go pull up youtube or similar, it feels like the colorspace gets compressed or something, the saturation and contrast *only in the video* gets all hosed up. If I click another tab then click back it's normal for a split second before getting bad again. Here's a screenshot of that split second 'normal' and then what it goes into:

first:

after:

It's not a great look for Steve but yeah what the heck? Again, it's only the video that does this, the rest of the browser, desktop, etc are all as expected.

e: anyone need an av?

I know this was from a few days ago but I was/am having a super similar issue with either of my HDR monitors (G9 OLED and an older 55" LG OLED). Nearest I could tell it was some issue between W11 HDR, NVidia drivers and chromium. For me it would effect any windowed video (YouTube or Netflix etc) but generally go away if I full screened the content. If I moved the window to my SDR monitor the problem would correct itself.

It was annoying enough and none of the "fixes" I found online (forcing an HDR color space or messing with NVIDIA control panel video settings) worked, so I just bit the bullet and moved over to Firefox, which I'd been meaning to do for other reasons anyway. No issues at all there.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
MAG version might lack firmware updates.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just secured a Newegg back order for the Asus 32” QD-OLED! If I get it before the LG 32 releases in mid April so be it!

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

MagusDraco posted:

MAG version might lack firmware updates.

Ya I think I'll go with the MEG version, they seem the same but the 65w power over USBC.

edit: They don't really sell this version anymore :(

Reasier fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 21, 2024

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is the thread consensus that QD-OLED is (probably) still not ready for prime time productivity/static content work? I have no interest in turning on dark mode or hiding every functional piece of the OS to avoid burn-in, but I do try to sleep the display when not at my desk.

So I’m stuck trying to figure out the best 4k high refresh flat display for 80/20 office/gaming. I’ve been waffling between the Asus PG32UQXR or LG 32GR95U. But in my weaker moments I’m having this “it just might work for us” thought and consider trying to score a PG32UCDM or similarly situated OLED. I looked at INNOCN as well, but man that bezel is tough to look at.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Is the thread consensus that QD-OLED is (probably) still not ready for prime time productivity/static content work? I have no interest in turning on dark mode or hiding every functional piece of the OS to avoid burn-in, but I do try to sleep the display when not at my desk.

So I’m stuck trying to figure out the best 4k high refresh flat display for 80/20 office/gaming. I’ve been waffling between the Asus PG32UQXR or LG 32GR95U. But in my weaker moments I’m having this “it just might work for us” thought and consider trying to score a PG32UCDM or similarly situated OLED. I looked at INNOCN as well, but man that bezel is tough to look at.

It's fine IMO. The new QDOLED panels can hit 250ish nits of brightness across a full white image and don't rapidly shift in brightness. Just hide your task bar and set the display to auto-sleep after 5 minutes. Apparently the MSI monitor has a built-in feature to dim static elements when they're onscreen, and all of these monitors come with a 3-year burn-in warranty.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I will be mostly coding with just a little playing of games.

Has anyone used the burn in protection? I feel like that stuff is never usable when the time comes.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I do mitigation like hiding my taskbar and having it sleep fast, and even stuff like turning off browser icons, but these thing have a 3 year warranty. I'll just say that the difference between IPS and the monitor I got is pretty mind blowing and worth any mitigation steps you decide to take, it's so good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm using the InStock App on iphone for tracking the Asus PG32UCDM and it's been going nuts the last couple of days. If anyone has been looking at that one and waiting for stock it's getting better.

fake edit: What's the return experience like with Newegg for displays? I should be within the return window after receipt of the unit for when the LG WOLED model launches, which has been getting a lot of coverage and looks great. I prefer the aesthetics of the LG unit and supposedly it uses a new RGB layout that mitigates some of the text clarity issues compared to QD-OLED.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 21, 2024

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I found one with everything: Philips - 34M2C8600 34" OLED

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/34M2C8600_27/evnia-curved-gaming-monitor-qd-oled-gaming-monitor

Any known issues? I watched some good reviews on youtube and saw on amazon the top review said it switched between usb-c/usb-a well.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So yet another update on my AW3225QF Saga: The new one I ordered arrived, January 2024 manufacture date, and had both permanent and non-permanent blemishes and scuffs that rivals the second unit, that had been manufactured in December 2023.

Looking at Reddit and elsewhere, it seems like some units are trickling out/in with the extra screen protection on them, with February 2024 manufacture dates. So I'm torn between trying to do an exchange ASAP and getting yet another blemished unit, or giving it a bit longer to see if I can get one of the newer ones.

One thing I definitely noticed on this unit was fingerprints along the side/etc., and so it's making me again wonder how much of the issue is the actual foam protector vs. improper cleaning/handling at the factory.

change my name posted:

It's fine IMO. The new QDOLED panels can hit 250ish nits of brightness across a full white image and don't rapidly shift in brightness. Just hide your task bar and set the display to auto-sleep after 5 minutes. Apparently the MSI monitor has a built-in feature to dim static elements when they're onscreen, and all of these monitors come with a 3-year burn-in warranty.

Apparently the AW3225QF also has a built-in feature for dimming logos/elements, but it wasn't advertised, Dell hasn't really said anything, and it's not something the end user can adjust (currently) in the OSD. But Monitors Unboxed and others have done some reporting on it and it seems like it's clearly there, behind the scenes. Probably as a feature to try and help minimize future burn-in claims under warranty?

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm using the InStock App on iphone for tracking the Asus PG32UCDM and it's been going nuts the last couple of days. If anyone has been looking at that one and waiting for stock it's getting better.

fake edit: What's the return experience like with Newegg for displays? I should be within the return window after receipt of the unit for when the LG WOLED model launches, which has been getting a lot of coverage and looks great. I prefer the aesthetics of the LG unit and supposedly it uses a new RGB layout that mitigates some of the text clarity issues compared to QD-OLED.

I think returning unopened items to Newegg is fine; I'd be wary about opening a monitor and then trying to return it. Newegg used to be a lot worse at how they handled open box returns, but since Gamers Nexus called them out, they've been better.

My only concern with LG is that they seemingly confirmed a 2-year warranty that does NOT cover burn-in, so you'd probably want to get it from Best Buy and add on the Geek Squad warranty.

And having used the Samsung QD-OLED panel now, I think the RGB text issues are pretty well resolved/overblown on these 3rd Gen panels, at least for the 4K displays.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Canned Sunshine posted:

Apparently the AW3225QF also has a built-in feature for dimming logos/elements, but it wasn't advertised, Dell hasn't really said anything, and it's not something the end user can adjust (currently) in the OSD. But Monitors Unboxed and others have done some reporting on it and it seems like it's clearly there, behind the scenes. Probably as a feature to try and help minimize future burn-in claims under warranty?

I believe it dims the entire screen if it detects "logos", which means any static element at all. Which is going to be most of the time when using the computer. It only does this in some of the modes. I believe the "creator" mode and the HDR modes are free from this behavior. This explains why I've observed lower max brightness (~210 nits) in the custom mode I tried to manually calibrate compared to the creator sRGB mode. Now that they fixed the gamma tracking in the sRGB mode, it's best to just stick to that. It's pretty much perfectly calibrated out of the box.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The 1.04 update so far has been good as far as the monitor turning off during a game, haven't seen that since, but they screwed up all the lighting. It just randomly turns stuff on and off now, it's really bizarre. This morning it was on standby and had the alienware logo on.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I believe it dims the entire screen if it detects "logos", which means any static element at all. Which is going to be most of the time when using the computer.

That's how it works on my LG OLED TV. All the features designed to protect the screen are dumb as rocks and basically amount to the brightness randomly turning down in the middle of whatever you're watching.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I believe it dims the entire screen if it detects "logos", which means any static element at all. Which is going to be most of the time when using the computer. It only does this in some of the modes. I believe the "creator" mode and the HDR modes are free from this behavior. This explains why I've observed lower max brightness (~210 nits) in the custom mode I tried to manually calibrate compared to the creator sRGB mode. Now that they fixed the gamma tracking in the sRGB mode, it's best to just stick to that. It's pretty much perfectly calibrated out of the box.

It's the HDR modes also? Originally it seemed like it only disabled in the Creator mode, but maybe they changed that with a firmware update.

Personally I don't mind features that auto-dim during work/productivity sessions, though for gaming, yeah, I'd rather not have it. But I'm fine with turning down brightness to like, 100 nits anyway for general use.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I recently found out that it's better to have some ambient light behind your monitor. Mine's a 27 inch IPS panel. I'm happy with the colours but the blacks are of course terrible.
Supposedly a little LED strip on the back of the monitor can both improve the contrast (or more like fake it) and reduce eye strain. I did just a little bit of research and it seems like 6500 is the best option but that just sounds so cold and bright.. not exactly what I want in my room at night. Does anyone here use that? Would going with a warmer colour be much worse?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The point of the backlight is to give an aura of diffuse light around your monitor, and I don't think the exact color temperature matters much. If you were to view dark content in a pitch-black room, you'd very easily see the IPS glow and bad contrast. If you view dark content in a bright room with a light in front of the monitor, then the IPS glow and bad contrast may be a bit harder to notice but the light may will interact with the panel in a negative way (such as a glare, or a haze spread by the matte finish). Backlighting is the compromise option. The image will be a bit less hazy, while your eyes won't dilate as much and the bad contrast will be a bit more hidden. And perceptually, the screen will being darker than the surrounding environment instead of brighter (as in a pitch-black room) helps too.

Maybe whoever said to use 6500K wanted to match your ambient lighting to the standard 6500K white point for the sRGB color space, but that's not really recommended. In fact, if you want to be exact to the sRGB standard, you'd calibrate your ambient lighting to 5000K. But there's no real reason to do that if you aren't trying to have a perfectly calibrated editing workstation. Just use whatever will be most comfortable for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

The point of the backlight is to give an aura of diffuse light around your monitor, and I don't think the exact color temperature matters much. If you were to view dark content in a pitch-black room, you'd very easily see the IPS glow and bad contrast. If you view dark content in a bright room with a light in front of the monitor, then the IPS glow and bad contrast may be a bit harder to notice but the light may will interact with the panel in a negative way (such as a glare, or a haze spread by the matte finish). Backlighting is the compromise option. The image will be a bit less hazy, while your eyes won't dilate as much and the bad contrast will be a bit more hidden. And perceptually, the screen will being darker than the surrounding environment instead of brighter (as in a pitch-black room) helps too.

Maybe whoever said to use 6500K wanted to match your ambient lighting to the standard 6500K white point for the sRGB color space, but that's not really recommended. In fact, if you want to be exact to the sRGB standard, you'd calibrate your ambient lighting to 5000K. But there's no real reason to do that if you aren't trying to have a perfectly calibrated editing workstation. Just use whatever will be most comfortable for you.

Thank you! This makes sense. Do you use some sort of backlight too?