Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Hey all, I'm looking into getting a second monitor to supplement my 27" 1440p daily driver and wanted to get some suggestions. Requirements:

- 24", 1080p
- Ability to rotate, since I want to use it vertically
- 144hz would be ideal. My main monitor is only 75hz and I have a 3070 so using it for high-refresh-rate gaming for shooters might be nice (then I can switch back to the main display for ray-traced titles)
- Not too expensive. Under $200 would be the target, but I also have no clue as to the price of high-refresh small monitors so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Unfortunately not many games have portrait mode support. :v:

(HL2 does, just fyi)

I'd turn it back around! You know, if it rotates to begin with

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

lol i wonder when we'll get to a point where a 4K monitor will be viable for gaming

i've had my 1440p144 Acer Predators for 5 years at this point and wouldn't mind upgrading to 4K for coding but even with a high-end Ampere card (A6000), I don't think frame-rates would be where I'd want them to be...

How noticeable is the difference between QHD and 4k anyways? I've tried both 1440p and native 4K gaming on my TV and couldn't really tell, but obviously I was sitting across the room and couldn't pixel peep

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I hate the 27" 1440p Acer TN monitor I picked up for cheap back when I first built my PC and want to replace it with an IPS one. I've been eyeing this $220 Z-edge model, but does anyone have any experience with this brand? It seems fine from the scant reviews but I've literally never heard of them.
https://www.amazon.com/UG27Q-27-inch-Gaming-Monitor-100Hz/dp/B0919X6HCS

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I just bought the M27Q used from Amazon for $260, that looks way better than what I posted above. Thanks all

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I received and hooked up my Gigabyte M27Q today and I have to say there's a world of difference between it and my old monitor and HDR content looks great. I have noticed that the bottom of the quarter of the screen is noticeably darker than the center, but I guess it's better than the orange/yellow shift at the edges my TN monitor got when tilted too far.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

To anyone that was considering an M27Q it's on sale for $280 on Amazon. Seems to dip to that price semi regularly.

I bought one used for $260, apart from one dead pixel near the top and resetting to 100% brightness on wake if you have HDR enabled, it really is the best high refresh rate 1440p monitor you can get for under $300.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Unsinkabear posted:

I have a broken brain that is bad at value assessment (hence my post a little while ago asking if the current $435 price on the XV272U KVb -or the $420 MAG274QRF-QD, now that I think of it- are worth the difference between them and the currently discounted M27Q)...

...but, uh, this seems like a pretty drat good deal?

I bought it used for $10 more than that, it's a great deal

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The AORUS FO48U (4k 120Hz OLED) is on sale for $799 new everywhere and since it's the same price as LG's C1 TV (refurbished, sometimes), I was kind of considering getting it to use as a living room TV. Is this a bad idea?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, but the op specifically said they want to use it as a living room tv, so i assumed that it won't be used with a pc.

Yes and no, I was going to hook it up to a Roku stick for the TV stuff and play PC games on it occasionally. But I can wait until the C1 drops even further.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I bought the XG27AQ on Prime deals because none of the other monitors that got listed were available in Canada.

Now I'm wondering if there will be issues having a high fps Freesync monitor + 60fps normal monitor. Information on the web seems to be extremely mixed.

Can I just run them at different fps and Freesync on one? Do the fps need to match? Will Freesync not work? If not, will Freesync start working if I fullscreen my games, or do I need to also disable the other monitor first?

Yeah don't worry about it, each will run independently. I have a 170Hz main monitor with G-sync on and a crappier secondary monitor and you don't need to do anything special.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Did Gigabyte discontinue the original M27Q? I bought one for like $220 on sale but it doesn't seem to be available new anywhere, I only see the 165Hz P variant

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone messed around with the 240Hz M27Q X? It looks great for the price but I don't play any games that I could even hit 240Hz at 1440p on my 3070... I just tried Fortnite at high settings with far draw distance and it capped out at like 180 FPS (and I don't want to play on performance mode)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

comedyblissoption posted:

This monitor lasted a single day for me before I had extreme glitchy horizontal scanlines everywhere with any type of input, any refresh rate, any resolution, and on just the OSD with no inputs by itself.

The amazon 1-star reviews are filled with people complaining about terrible quality control issues.

I might just try to get this refunded and was wondering if there's another 2K 240hz monitor in a similar price range.

Well that sucks. Someone I know is getting one in soon so hopefully it isn't DOA

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anyway, at 27", the best 4K monitor out right now is probably going to be the Sony Inzone M9 for $900. Or out soon—I thought it was out now, but it's listed as "coming soon" everywhere. It's got a good quality panel and a mini LED backlight with a fairly low zone count but still effective at enhancing contrast.

It seems like Sony is having trouble with sourcing or can't build up enough of a supply to debut this, I also thought they were on sale already. We've been trying to get one of these for my office and can't.

change my name fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 3, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DrDork posted:

If it doesn't, you can try adding something like this: https://www.covid.com/en/hd-pi_hdmi-power-injector-usb-to-hdmi?GroupGuid=343

You mentioning this want now actually has me trying to do the same thing for a Switch -> portable monitor.

Boy that's an unfortunate company name

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Samsung has finally unveiled their QD-OLED 21:9 monitor, now officially titled the Samsung Odyssey OLED G8: https://www.techpowerup.com/298421/samsung-electronics-unveils-odyssey-oled-g8-gaming-monitor-at-ifa-2022

Key differences from the AW3423DW include the lack of g-sync ultimate (may be a plus), HDMI 2.1 support, integrated smart TV functionality with IoT bullshit, and for some mystifying reason, the use of micro HDMI and mini DP instead of full-sized connectors. Seriously, what the hell.

I've heard Samsung was planning this, but it really does seem like they intend to add smart TV stuff to all of their high-end monitors going forward. This isn't completely pointless if you intend to watch media on your monitor. A lot of streaming services heavily gimp their web streaming, presumably for anti-piracy reasons (even though it has zero impact on piracy). So having a built-in way to access non-gimped, 4K HDR streaming services is actually kind of nice. I just hope it doesn't increase the cost too much. Hopefully this thing is still cheaper than the AW3423DW since there won't be a g-sync ultimate module.

I assume the HDR implementation will be better when watching content that way too

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

infraboy posted:

My Amazon "Acceptable" condition Aorus FI32U came in, personally always had a solid experience with ordering with Amazon warehouse, usually the discounts are quite significant, only real downside of the "Acceptable" condition items is that they usually don't have the original box, all the cables and hardware were intact, no issues with the screen, games are looking good. First 4k monitor for me and it'll sort of justify me trying to get a 4000 series card. It was about 550$ after tax which isn't cheap but for a 32'' 4k 144hz IPS display it's pretty solid.

Games looked very pretty and crisp, any ugliness is just my phone camera.

I wish DOS2 had better HDR implementation, I tried it out and didn't notice a difference over SDR

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Alienware has announced the next version of it's 34" OLED monitor with better specs for $1,099: https://dell.alienwarearena.com/alienware-upgrades-flagship-desktop-reveals-tenkeyless-keyboard-and-new-qd-oled-display/

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

NZXT has already dropped the base price of its 27" 1440p 165Hz Canvas 27Q to $250 for the panel by itself ($290 with stand): https://nzxt.com/product/canvas-27q-panel-only

That's a pretty good deal, it's gotten good-to-decent reviews

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Is there anything special about it?

No, it's just pretty cheap, like $20 less than the Gigabyte M27Q if you're getting the panel by itself

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

codo27 posted:

$600>$200 1080p display no thank you

I'm using NZXT's $210 1080p, 240Hz monitor and it's pretty dang good so far

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Gigabyte's G24F 2 is back down to $130 at Newegg https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012052?Item=N82E16824012052

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What's the dope on this? Kinda considering just getting a cheap high refresh 1080p monitor and waiting for 4k/oled technology to trickle down. Most of what I've been looking at were merely budget 120hz but this seems like a nice middle. Granted even at this price the asus VG279QM is only $100 and might just be a superior monitor but I feel like with OLED looming there's no real reason to spend out on high response time panels that will be overshadowed in time. That said it's probably really unlikely looking at the market that oled will trickle down to 1080p right? It's basically dead as a resolution to anyone who isn't trying to get insanely stable high framerates.

It's a very good monitor from what I hear/people I know that have it, especially for the price

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What’s considered a “good” DCI-P3 for a $200 gaming monitor? I’m testing NZXT’s 25”, 240hz 1080 monitor and measured it at 84%, which… is pretty low. I really like it otherwise and I don’t think you’d buy this thing to edit photos on

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 1, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

That sounds about right. 1080p monitors always end up with duller panels, for whatever reason.

That said, you edit photos in the sRGB color space unless you're editing them for print, in which case you use adobe RGB.

It did score 99.6% on sRGB so that’s not terrible, but good to know I guess (though the Adobe RGB result was 74%). It’s honestly a pretty good first attempt from them

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 1, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

K8.0 posted:

Also, we're just starting to crack monitor sale season. There's a solid month of insane deals coming up, followed by often a bit of a lul in december, and then insane deals again in early january. If you're one of the people who has somehow bought a 30 or 40 series GPU (of any sort) and you don't have at least 1440p and at least 144hz, it's time to watch this thread. I'm seeing WAY too many people post about kneecapping a $600 GPU with a $50 monitor.

Agreed, the Gigabyte M27Q-P is only $250 on Newegg today (and they'll refund you the difference if it goes on sale for Black Friday): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What's the general consensus on BenQ monitors? Do they have really good color accuracy or something to account for why they're so much pricier than similar competitors?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

fknlo posted:

My girlfriend's oldest needs a new monitor for his xbox series s. He specifically wants a curved monitor. How is this one? There aren't a ton of reviews from reviewers but the people that have bought them seem to like them. Is there something better for not a ton more money?

Don't, a 32" 1080p monitor is going to look like rear end. I personally think 27" is too big for that resolution.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Part of my waffling on considering a 32" is that 27" feels like the sweet spot in a lot of ways. I can only see pixels on my main monitor (27", 1440p, 144hz) if I get my nose 8 inches or less from the screen or use a magnifying glass,

I just got my hands on the Sony Inzone M9 to test out and it's probably because I sit too close to my monitors, but I can definitely tell the difference between the 1440p and 4K one. Moving a window between them is like night and day, the additional pixel density is great.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm running a 4K main display and a 1440p secondary monitor, and is there any way to make Windows not... just gently caress up all the time? I wasn't having this issue before with a 1440p main display and 1080p second screen. Windows keep getting resized on the main display for 1440p (ie, shrunk down), UI elements moving across screens are getting squished or stretched, and some games keep bugging out when I try to change their resolution to 4K (Elden Ring won't stick, it keeps changing back to 1440p unless I override the settings in Geforce Experience).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm still on 10 but that's good to know.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

Jumped on a refurb AW3423DW with the 15% off to get it for $755+tax. Fingers crossed on the refurb lottery, though historically I feel like I've done alright.

Where from? That's an amazing price

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There are more again for $1,021.99, with the $15% off coupon that's $868

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

The Odyssey Neo G8 is down to $999, god I wish I could swing that for a monitor

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you tabbing out of an app that's full screen? Because I've seen that behavior both on my old SDR monitor and my new HDR monitor. That's the main reason I have a secondary monitor, so if I'm checking maps or walkthroughs while playing a game I don't have to try to remember during the pause to get out and the pause to get back in.

This also happened to me when I was testing a 4K 144Hz monitor even with a DP 2.1 cable, the problem has since gone away after switching back to 1440p.

change my name fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 29, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

You can find the M9 for $600 open box, which isn’t too bad. If it drops more I might consider getting it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

change my name posted:

You can find the M9 for $600 open box, which isn’t too bad. If it drops more I might consider getting it

Just circling back on this because I forgot to mention it: This monitor draws an insane 140 watts on average. The Alienware AW3423DW draws 200 watts at max (so I assume with HDR enabled and everything cranked). My Gigabyte M27Q draws 53 watts max according to its spec sheet.

Are these kinds of numbers just normal for high-end monitors going forward? I had never considered power consumption when picking out a monitor before but these numbers are kind of troubling IMO.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I loved reading text at 4K on a 27-inch monitor, it was like everything was anti-aliased by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Was the Cooler Master Tempest GP27U straight pulled from online stores? It's not even listed on Amazon any longer