Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm currently using a SyncMaster 2333SW (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001314 )and I'm considering getting a second monitor for a dual monitor setup.

It doesn't look like that model is easily available, is there an easy way to find a good alternative that won't have me stacking books to level my monitors? The 2333sw doesn't have any form of height adjustment.

Also, I won't see quality loss by having one monitor on VGA and one on DVI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Any particular thoughts on the Asus VH238H? The price I've seen is incredible, and reviews seem fairly positive. I'd likely be using it for games, or general purpose.

I'm also strongly debating buying a second one. My current monitor (Syncmaster 2333sw) is fine, but it may take some books to level them.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the best way to do a monitor & tv swapping sort of thing?

Like my default setup for computering is two monitors, but once in awhile I want to swap to TV. Duplicating the primary display (1) to TV (display 3) did what I wanted, but after I turned off the TV I noticed that there was a bit of sluggishness to my games despite them reporting 60 FPS, and it went away once I disabled the link to the TV display. Is there a way around this / is there a proper way to set this up?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wolrah posted:

A HDMI splitter should do the trick, assuming your main monitor is 1080p60 like your TV presumably is.

That said there really shouldn't be any latency when using mirroring on a single GPU. What's your setup? You aren't running with the TV connected to onboard are you?

I got at GTX1070 - and all three displays are hooked up to the card. I have monitor 2 hooked up through DVI, monitor 1 through a HDMI to DVI cable, and the TV through a display port adapter to HDMI cable. (the 1070 I have only has one DVI and HDMI, and 3 display ports, both my monitors are too old to have DP.)

Didn't know hdmi splitters were a thing - I'm definitely getting something weird happening - latency I guess, its very slightly and tricky to describe, but I'm certainly noticing something on mouse movement when the TV display is enabled (even if the TV is off.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I've got a dual 23in monitor setup (Samsung Syncmaster 2333, Asus VH238) right now and I'm considering replacing one or both since they are a bit on the older side, and I'm considering getting a monitor arm setup and might need something a little lighter as well.

I haven't done too much research/digging, but this caught my eyes - any thoughts? I'm not too sure what to be looking for beyond low ms? Though if I do a "replace one" option, will a 24in beside a 23in look kinda awkward? Some of the dual monitor mounts I'm seeing don't have separate vertical adjustments. Although I don't really ever bother with stuff that spans both screens, so I don't know how much of a concern minor alignment stuff would be.

Also, something that would be ideal, and seems like it could be possible with this monitor with the headphone port: I like to have my consoles hooked up to my monitor through HDMI so I can toggle to them, my current monitor has built in speakers, what would be even better is if there was a way to route the HDMI audio back to my PC or something.

e: This looks like it could be good too?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 2, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ended up impulse buying this since it was on sale - they only had one available, but I'm considering ordering the second online. A small concern I have is that my current video card has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 3 DP. This monitor has no DP or DIV, only HDMI and VGA. Will I lose anything using a DVI->VGA dongle I have lying around?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

K8.0 posted:

At that price? Even given my unfamiliarity with current canadian pricing and availability, you got absolutely ripped, return it. Generally speaking 1 MS means a TN panel, which you really don't want. Don't rush into buying a monitor unless you absolutely have to. Tell us what your budget is, and what you're looking for (beyond your already expressed audio concerns) and we can help you out.

The screen is regularly 250$ CAD, 70$ off. 186$/135$ USD

This review seemed pretty positive and it also made the top of their best under 200$ list.

E: My budget is probably around 200$ per screen (Willing to go above by a bit if it's worth it) and my needs is basically mostly gaming, 23-25in, plus the speakers so I can hook up consoles as previously mentioned. Good vertical adjustment is a huge plus, which is something that screen I got seems to have.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 3, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fair enough, like I said, the Acer I got seemed rated pretty well on the site and seemed like a good price. Got a bit impulsive.

I think I'm starting to see the TN issue? Or at least a weakness on this panel; text kinda leaves behind white blocks/ghosting while scrolling, it's really noticeable with flux yellowing the screen. Maybe something isn't set right? (But I might just return and go with IPS like you suggest.)

Is there any other specs I want to look for on IPS?

e: Is there much issue in using a TN as a secondary? My secondary monitor is mostly there to have youtube/netflix which I half-watch or discord.

e2: The AOC monitor doesn't seem to have speakers; do you know if headphone out to PC line-in is something that does work?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 3, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Layout-wise it would definitely be more ideal for my primary/gaming monitor to also be the one running my consoles.

I'm also looking on bestbuy.ca since they have a bunch of stuff on sale till the 5th, but filtering down there's not too much that meets all my specs. (A lot of the cheaper IPS don't seem to have height adjustment, many don't have speakers.)

This looks like it could be okay as a secondary? It has speakers as well, so I could also use it as the console one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think I might lock in the AOC for my primary and just deal with finding a way to route audio or something. I'm not seeing a lot of competition for all these specs combined. I wasn't seeing the Pixio on the display specifications (at least not that size) and it going by their site it doesn't seem height adjustable, and seems like it's not really sold in Canada (saw it on Newegg.ca but It's more then the AOC before 30$ shipping)

Yeah, now that I look again, don't know if I love the bezel on the ASUS I linked and the buttons are on the right side - my secondary monitor goes to the left of my primary, my current setup tucks the bezel behind the primary monitor so that might be a bit convenient.

On the other hand, I'm really not seeing anything else that cheap (with height adjustment or VESA) unless I'm just filtering wrong.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flowinprose posted:

This is probably a bit of a rhetorical question... but why do they bother putting speakers on high-end monitors? Like if you're going to spend $300+ on a monitor, you're not going to spend $30-50 on the bare minimum of a sub+R/L computer speakers (or a decent set of headphones) that will be infinitely better than any speakers on a monitor? Am I missing something, are the speaker systems on expensive monitors somehow not complete poo poo?

It seems really handy for pretty much any non PC HDMI device you might want to hook up. My personal use case is to use one screen for PC + game system and just input switch like it's a TV. I'm okay not having some stellar audio system for the game system since it's a lot more convenient trying to figure out how I'd pass audio back to my PC.

I could also see it being really convenient for a splitscreen LAN sort of situation.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

flowinprose posted:

Hmm I hadn't considered the use of the monitor for multiple inputs, but couldn't you just use something like one of these (for $22) to split the HDMI output from the console and plug the stereo out from that into your line-in? https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Audio-Stereo-Extractor-Converter/dp/B07KRWYN4R

Also I'm probably showing my age by asking this... but what is a splitscreen LAN situation? Does that mean more than one person playing on a single computer/console at a LAN (where presumably you're on a team playing against other people on separate computers/consoles)? I don't do enough console gaming these days to know if that's a thing. I could see the argument for built-in speakers being much more portable if that's what it comes down to, and if you've got multiple people playing off the same monitor then headphones wouldn't really be an option.
Someone earlier was saying HDMI has copy-protection measures that makes splitting harder? (I haven't dug to deeply into it since I didn't buy my (old) current monitor with the speakers in mind, they just became a boon when I ended up with the setup I have now and I haven't really gotten around to investigating a better solution. )

I guess not so much LAN in the sense of being networked, but in the sense of "lan party" where you're just getting together with other people to game. Or like a small fighting game tourney or just casual locals. There's been a bit of a resurgence of "couch co-op" games in the indie scene - a lot of them have networking options, but don't actually split the screen so they're just as good with a single screen/setup.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

I got a VG279q the other day...

Following up on my early posts, I looked this guy up, and I won't lie I'm getting a little enamored with the idea of maybe going bigger, and shifting my budget to just getting one new nice monitor and living with one of my old monitors for a secondary. How does a 27in compare to 22-23in in terms of comfort? (Like, my only experience was a temp job that had a monitor that was way too big - it dawns on me I can probably get more distance from the monitor with my setup.) Is there text readability concerns, or does that only happen when increasing resoultion beyond 1080?

This is what's available at a local store it's the same thing, right? Price seems pretty consistent across Canadian websites.

Would this be a good pick if I want something in the 27in range for my region? (With mostly the vertical adjustment factor in mind - speakers or audio pass-through is a bonus but I think I might have other options to deal with that.)

e: Hm, the AOC 27in seems to be 100$ cheaper How do these two stack up?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 3, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ended up getting the AOC 27G2 - is the anything I need to do to get the most of it settings/calibration wise? I figured where i needed to set it to 144hz, is there anything I need to get freesync? (I kinda don't really know what the deal with it is.)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IPS display thoughts: It's weird. It certainly feels smoother then my TN, and it's noticeably more vibrant, but stuff with a lot of white/white backgrounds are kinda uncomfortable, even with the brightness kinda low, and flux running. Blacks/Shadows also feel much stronger, which makes turning the brightness down further a bit tricky.

Rolo posted:

Use the DisplayPort and cable if not. Is your GPU Nvidia or AMD?

Nvidia - and yeah, I'm using the display port cable. I think I saw a setting in the monitor menus that said it should be on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Has anyone else found switching to an IPS monitor to be a bit uncomfortable at first?

Maybe I just need more time to adjust or maybe I'm just having a bad day or two, but my early experience with my AOC 24G2 has been having a hard time finding comfortable settings and just getting a sense it might be causing me some eye strain/exhaustion. (Worth noting I've been dealing with some eye strain / dry eye problems for awhile, but it wasn't too bad lately) At first it seemed like brightness was an issue - it's just simply an outright brighter display, but after cranking that way down (like 0-20 range) I'm not sure it's the whole issue because something else just feels off / uncomfortable. I can't image it's a refresh rate thing, while it's my first 144hz monitor, a higher refresh would hopefully cause less strain, right? (And it didn't feel much different on 60hz) And this monitor doesn't use PWM, which I've seen some people say can cause strain issues. I also run f.lux so that should be theoretically helping too.

e: Apparently a bunch of people find that IPS helps with their eye-strain over TNs. So now I'm wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong (or what is wrong with my eyes.) :psyduck:

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 5, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone have thoughts on the ASUS VG249Q? (I can get one for 279$ Canadian) - As previous mentioned I picked up an AOC 24G2 and I'm undecided if I like it or not. I don't really have a point of comparison for IPS panels, but I've seen some comments saying the 24G2 has somewhat over-saturated colors (which I wonder might be playing into some discomfort) - and just personally I've been a bit disappointed with the viewing angles - even though I'm looking straight on to the monitor, the edges of the monitor can look a bit darker/slighty off colour.

I'd probably be open to other alternatives to the 24G2 - this reddit thread is just kinda what got me thinking about the VG249Q since it has some people finding they like it over the AOC but I'm interest in this thread's thought as well.

e: Also, is there issues with running 144hz on one monitor and 60hz on the other? Or has that been resolved at this point?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks again, sorry if I've been a bit of a spaz.

Strange, DisplaySpecifications seems to think the acer monitor has 3.5mm out, but I guess it's data must be confused with a similar model because Acer's site and store pages doesn't list it.

As for brightness, it definitely was an initial issue, I had to crank it way down, and I think some other adjustments helped (There's a shadow boost/control setting - the default was just making darks too dark and some other settings were doing something funky with the contrast.)

I didn't consider 1440p too much - since I'm not sure how well I can run it / not sure if I want to shell out for it. I'm running a 1070 GTX and a Ryzen 5 3600 - could/should I push for 1440? Or am I better sticking to 144hz 1080?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I'm really hoping to move to a 2 Monitor Setup where I can easily switch their input from my tower to a laptop with minimal fiddling.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagined that having two monitors chained together using MST would mean I'd only ever need to change a single input (in my case, Displayport output from my tower GPU to a Thunderbolt->Displayport adapter out). I was looking at the Nixeus mostly because I would be using them mostly for gaming at home, but the ability to use them for work on occasion would be awesome.

I'm not keen on how it all works on a technical level, but I currently have one of my two monitors that has both my PC and Switch plugged in, and I'm able to send a command to my monitor to change to a different source this software There's even a command to toggle a setting between multiple values, so I just have a batch file on my desktop that I can double click to switch from Display Port to HDMI (and back) it's a lot easier then fiddling with the buttons.

Conceivably, you could create a batch file on both machines that sends the command to switch both monitor's inputs?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

This might be a particularly specific question, but I'm having a hard time finding "good" settings for my ASUS VG249q. I've tried following some other peoples calibrations, tried fiddling on my own, but finding it hard to determine what feels right. Compared to my old TN monitors, dark colours feel like they're harder to tell apart, and in particular dark areas in games have gotten much harder to see in. Cranking the brightness doesn't feel terribly helpful - and the Shadowboost setting *almost* helps, but a single level kind of makes things seem a touch too saturated? It might be fine in games, but it makes it feel like colours are a bit off for drawing. And I'm not super keen on having to flip my settings per-activity. Any recommendations / anything I could be overlooking?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 18, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone have a dummies guide for how to calibrate a monitor? Or like advice on settings? I saw someone say that every square on this image should be distinguishable:

I have two ASUS VG249s - I tried to find some calibration settings online but I'm not sure how well they're working. The monitor has a "shadow boost" setting - without it, I find dark areas in games get way to dark, and there's almost just something kinda muddy to darker images in general? But with it, several of the reds and blues in the above image are blending together.

As well, something that doesn't feel like a shadow boost thing is that whites on the monitor can get strangely uncomfortable at night, and it's not like im sitting in the dark, even running flux, the whites (or yellows) all just feel...weirdly bright, in a way that lowering the brightness feels like it doesn't help much. Maybe I'm just crazy and my eyes are hosed.

I saw some people saying swapping from DP cables to HDMI cables fixed some image problems for them with this monitor, but I wasn't clear on exactly what their problem was, or why that would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Google is failing to give me an answer, but me and a friend got on a discussion about curved monitors and were left wondering why the curvature is measured the way it is - eg: "1000r" = a curve equal to a circle with a radius of 1000mm, as opposed to using a degree measurement. (I'll admit I'm a bit dumb when it comes to this sort of math/geometry, so I'm more assuming there's probably a reason they do that and my friend is missing something.)