Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

It uses an Innolux panel, so it's a little worse on the whole but may have better QC. Personally I'd just buy the Nixeus. If you do want the Innolux panel, there are cheaper options that are probably just as good.

Went ahead and ordered the nixeus then, thanks for the recommendation! Should be here on friday, really need it for work/play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My primary monitor just blew after a few months of power board shenanigans, and... well, I haven't bought a new one in the better part of a decade.

Uses: Gaming (MMOs, older video card; I don't need 120hz), productivity, watching movies.
Budget: ~200-250 Canadian.
Desired Specs: 1080xfoo resolution, HDMI and/or Displayport ports, 23"+

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I'll tell you, as someone who mostly plays FFXIV, that 100Hz vs 60Hz is still immediately noticeable and a big quality of life upgrade. Might not fit in your budget there right now, but don't rule it out as something that only applies to FPS games is what I'm saying.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that, I'll keep it in mind. FFXIV's one of the ones I play, actually.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

nwin posted:

So I have an HDMI and a VGA port.

It’s a Dell E5570 and appears to have a 1920x1080 resolution. I also use a Dell Simple E Family dock. Not sure if I would be able to get one to bring home or not.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/cty/pdp/spd/latitude-e5570-laptop

Anyone? Looking for telework options for my laptop and am considering either a single monitor or maybe two monitors. It is only needed for spreadsheets and word documents. I think I’d prefer one bigger monitor.

Anyone?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You'll need to do some research into exactly what output resolutions that thing will support to get real suggestions beyond "buy whatever 1080p IPS monitor off Amazon".

You can normally get 24" 1080p IPS monitors for around $100, right now I think it's more like $130ish because the cheaper ones are selling out. Your laptop may or may not be able to drive 1440p or 4k competently if you want something higher res than that.

For working off a laptop, it's easy enough to use your laptop as a second monitor if you don't really need one, and run an external kb/m.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

nwin posted:

Anyone?

People might be quiet because in the past week monitor prices have loving skyrocketed across the board because people bought tons of pre-built computers, also to work from home.

I just checked r/buildapcsales and it's not pretty: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/new/?f=flair_name%3A%22Monitor%22

Since I know you're in the DC area, you might be able to hit up Micro Center in Fairfax. They seem to still have *some* stock, but their IPS 1440p monitors are pretty sparse.

Here's a decent Acer on sale through Best Buy: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-xf270hua-27-ips-led-hd-freesync-monitor-black/5622408.p?skuId=5622408

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 25, 2020

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah the cheap IPSes I was recommending the other day are already completely gone.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I found the Philips 278E1A while looking for some reasonably priced 27" 4K IPS panels that had VESA mounting for office use after I started permanently WFH at the start of the year. Managed to snag one late last week off Amazon at retail pricing. Got it in yesterday.

Not a bad panel, only includes a HDMI cable for connectivity, so heads up there. Haven't done a side by side comparison with Dell U2718Q that I've had for a year now. The Dell's stand (if that matters to you) is definitely far superior as the Philip's is fixed on height and turning and the panel feels more solid. The 278E1A gets a nod for having a thinner bezel.

I had originally looked at just getting two more U2718Q panels but they are pricier and (unsure if it is related to covid) appear to have been discontinued for a pricier model, the U2720Q.

eames
May 9, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Well the flickering was apparent at 165Hz/fps on Dota2's menu. I reduced the max framerate to 144 and dota's flickering stopped. In pendulum the brightness still varies when fps goes below 60 or so?

I have to try out some actual gaming and see how this works. Amazon has a good return policy so it's not like I'm in a rush :v: And I hope I can work around the issue and keep this display. Because I don't know what else to get...

Just to follow up because I’m still curious, are you happy with the monitor and did you manage to fix the VRR flicker or are you going to return the screen?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

eames posted:

Just to follow up because I’m still curious, are you happy with the monitor and did you manage to fix the VRR flicker or are you going to return the screen?

The high refresh rate flickering was solved.. maybe..? But in loading screens etc. there was still flickering (more like sudden brightness changes) when fps was lower. I disabled VRR and now run the display at fixed 165Hz refresh rate.

I liked the image quality of the display so much more than my 12 year old IPS so I will keep the Dell. I haven't used VRR before so I suppose I can keep on living without it for a while, until the Perfect display (like LG CX 48" OLED TV appears).

I will try to troubleshoot the VRR flickering/brightness changes later if I find time and motivation for it :effort: It's good enough without VRR as it is. The games I usually play don't tax my GPU too much. Dota2, CS, Stellaris, Minecraft etc.

Next time I will definitely buy a G-sync certified or a real G-sync monitor.

Edit: there were no pixel or backlight glow/bleed problems either.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 26, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have a feeling this has been asked already, so apologies, but my backup monitor just picked the worst time to die while I was trying to set up a work-from-home office.

What's the absolute cheapest place I can buy -- as in order for delivery in a reasonable timeframe -- two or maybe even three monitors to use for simple office work? I don't need anything fancy just something that can show web pages and text so I can work across multiple documents at once.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a feeling this has been asked already, so apologies, but my backup monitor just picked the worst time to die while I was trying to set up a work-from-home office.

What's the absolute cheapest place I can buy -- as in order for delivery in a reasonable timeframe -- two or maybe even three monitors to use for simple office work? I don't need anything fancy just something that can show web pages and text so I can work across multiple documents at once.

Probably somewhere like Staples. They're out of stock on a lot of things for delivery but some of their monitors are listed as arriving tomorrow if I order today. Since amazon's gotten slammed I think somewhere like that or OfficeDepot would be a good bet for fast shipping. They're lower on stock since people are buying for work from home but there's still stuff available. There's also regular staples coupons online for $X off some purchase amount. I think I had a $25 off $100 purchase in my email a week or two back.

Depending on your needs I think this would be a good choice as a $110 IPS 24".
https://www.staples.com/dell-24-se2419h-monitor-full-hd-1920-x-1080-60-hz/product_24359319

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Newegg or Amazon, or brave the plague wastelands to go to a best buy or walmart.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

wargames posted:

Newegg or Amazon, or brave the plague wastelands to go to a best buy or walmart.

Best Buy in my city has same day curbside pick up. Can also check out Walmart they have free/cheap next day delivery as well.

Edit - B&H is an option as well but I dunno how many super cheap options they’ll have. My guess is any of these are faster than amazon right now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Also using 2 frame vsync at 165hz adds 1000/165*2=12ms of latency while 1000/60*2 = 33ms. The vsync latency is like 1/3 with high refresh rate so it isnt too bad to use vsync if some games have distracting tearing.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
So, I was gonna buy the Acer VG271U, but it seems I waited a bit too long, as the price shot up to $600 for some reason.

Is it me or is there a sudden rush on monitors? I assume it's just people suddenly realizing they're stuck at home? Should I wait this poo poo out?

Last night, my wife broke the power button on my now 12-plus-year-old Benq. So, I'd kind of like to replace it (along with the rest of my PC) in the near future.

Could y'all recommend another monitor in the same vein (as the Acer) at a reasonable price point?

I'm looking for:
  • QHD (2560x1440)
  • 27"
  • IPS
  • 144+ Hz refresh
  • response time <= 5ms
  • price <= $500

This is for gaming and home office use.

edit: I could easily be talked out of IPS if y'all think it's unnecessary.
edit2: I saw the Nixeus recommendation on the previous page. I think I'd be happy with this as an option. Any drawbacks here? Is there a recommendation for the "next tier" up?

M.C. McMic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 26, 2020

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

M.C. McMic posted:

Is it me or is there a sudden rush on monitors? I assume it's just people suddenly realizing they're stuck at home?

Yeah this is exactly what's going on. I put off my purchase of a new monitor a while back because of money/time reasons, but now that I'm WFH indefinitely and I could really do with a dual monitor setup for work, I decided I'm in the market for a 2nd monitor again

Except I'm not, because everyone has the same idea, and I'm not gonna pay inflated monitor prices if I can wait it out instead.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I would just buy the Nixeus EDG 27 given it's still available and the supply/price issues for most other stuff right now. For gaming as a primary use you're really not going to beat it anywhere near its price, and that was usually true even before the prices spiked on everything else. Maybe you get a panel with dead/stuck pixels and have to return it, but A) that can happen with any monitor, B) it happens far less than it used to with those AUO panels, and C) at least the drat things are still in stock so you can return it and get another easily enough if you do lose the lottery.

A few months ago you used to be able to get the LG 27GL83A for $350-380 and that was a reasonable next step up, but it's been out of stock everywhere for a long time and may be discontinued.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Renegret posted:

Yeah this is exactly what's going on. I put off my purchase of a new monitor a while back because of money/time reasons, but now that I'm WFH indefinitely and I could really do with a dual monitor setup for work, I decided I'm in the market for a 2nd monitor again

Except I'm not, because everyone has the same idea, and I'm not gonna pay inflated monitor prices if I can wait it out instead.

It mostly seems to be a run on 24” 1080p monitors. I was idly browsing PCPP this morning and I saw Newegg had an Acer 27” 1440p IPS for $200.

e: this one

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 26, 2020

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

K8.0 posted:

I would just buy the Nixeus EDG 27 given it's still available and the supply/price issues for most other stuff right now. For gaming as a primary use you're really not going to beat it anywhere near its price, and that was usually true even before the prices spiked on everything else. Maybe you get a panel with dead/stuck pixels and have to return it, but A) that can happen with any monitor, B) it happens far less than it used to with those AUO panels, and C) at least the drat things are still in stock so you can return it and get another easily enough if you do lose the lottery.

A few months ago you used to be able to get the LG 27GL83A for $350-380 and that was a reasonable next step up, but it's been out of stock everywhere for a long time and may be discontinued.

I went ahead and ordered one. It's more than I hoped for at that price, honestly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just got mine and yeah its a great monitor. The colors and blacks are way better than my old acer and it cost less than half than what I did for the xb270hu I bought like 4-5 years ago.

I dont know about response though, probably have to play more games to find that out but so far I like it a lot

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

27GL83A showed up again on Amazon btw, after months of being MIA:

https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
After a lot of deliberation, I bought the BenQ EX2780Q, which is a 27" IPS 144hz Freesync/(unofficially)G-Sync Compatible monitor. It's my first new monitor purchase in like 7 or 8 years, my last being a 60hz 1080p 24" Asus. Oh my god. It's so gorgeous. It's $399 right now, and it's just amazing. I've got no idea about the quality of the stand because I've got it mounted on an arm...

The difference between 60hz and 144hz is astounding, not just in games but on the desktop as well. And the color and brightness of this thing is just stunning. In addition to gaming, I also do a lot of photo editing, so the inclusion of 10-bit color is a huge bonus. Though you only get 10-bit at 120hz, not 144hz, which is fine.

Absolutely recommend this monitor.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 28, 2020

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Sneeze Party posted:

After a lot of deliberation, I bought the BenQ EX2780Q, which is a 27" IPS 144hz Freesync/(unofficially)G-Sync Compatible monitor. It's my first new monitor purchase in like 7 or 8 years, my last being a 60hz 1080p 24" Asus. Oh my god. It's so gorgeous. It's $399 right now, and it's just amazing. I've got no idea about the quality of the stand because I've got it mounted on an arm...

The difference between 60hz and 144hz is astounding, not just in games but on the desktop as well. And the color and brightness of this thing is just stunning. In addition to gaming, I also do a lot of photo editing, so the inclusion of 10-bit color is a huge bonus. Though you only get 10-bit at 120hz, not 144hz, which is fine.

Absolutely recommend this monitor.

What brought you to that one over the ASUS TUF VG27AQ? I'm looking for something for media production and gaming.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What brought you to that one over the ASUS TUF VG27AQ? I'm looking for something for media production and gaming.
Slightly better sRGB color accuracy, better gamut, slightly smaller bezels (I'm very space limited where my PC lives), a little less expensive, has a USB port, has remote control, no power brick.

It was just a lot of little things. But mostly, for me, it was the slight edge in color gamut at 120hz.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hi thread. I’m building my first new PC in about seven years and looking at making the jump from 1080p to 2k to take advantage of the upgraded hardware I’ll be running. My primary application here will be gaming, although I’ll also be doing some video editing and photo work at the hobbyist level. My current set-up are two 21.5” Dell monitors that I bought at least five-six years ago, and frankly, I know very little about monitor technology. A very nice and patient goon has been handholding me throughout this process, and through him I’ve learned that I should basically be looking for something at 27”, an IPS panel and 144 hz. I’d like to keep it under $500, but I could go a little higher if need be. I understand monitors are stupid expensive right now thanks to the ‘Rona tax.

This Acer looks pretty decent by all accounts- any reason why I shouldn’t consider picking this one up?

https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-nitro-gaming-series-vg270u-pbmiipx-27/p/N82E16824011243

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Do not buy monitors from newegg. Hell, really don't buy anything from them anymore. Their return policies are horrible.

Gaming monitors aren't too badly affected by the WFH push, it's 1080p 60hz monitors that are most affected right now.

The short and simple answer to your question is to just buy this. It's very good for gaming, decent for other uses, and a good deal in general. The stand and OSD suck, so if those are particularly important for anything you want to do. You can also spend more to get something that will probably have better out of the box color calibration, or be able to be calibrated better with a colorimeter, but if gaming is your primary focus the Nixeus is the default recommendation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This Acer looks pretty decent by all accounts- any reason why I shouldn’t consider picking this one up?

https://www.newegg.com/black-acer-nitro-gaming-series-vg270u-pbmiipx-27/p/N82E16824011243

I've been counseling/confusing the gently caress out of him with regards to this, these are/were the finalists aside from that Acer:

Viewsonic VX2758 @ $320 (in stock ~4/6):
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501522-REG/viewsonic_vx2758_2kp_mhd_27_vx2758_wqhd_144hz.html

Nixeus NX-EDG27 v2 (with the :airquote: premium :airquote: stand) @ $300 (in stock now, goes off sale in three days or when they run out of stock):
https://www.newegg.com/black-nixeus-nx-edg27-v2-27/p/3D4-000B-00003

LG 27GL83A-B @ ~$380 (when Amazon re-SKUs it sometime before 4/29):
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

Acer XF270HUA @ $330 (in stock now):
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-xf270hua-27-ips-led-hd-freesync-monitor-black/5622408.p?skuId=5622408

I kinda think the Nixeus and Viewsonic are the better buys, being somewhat newer panels, the latter getting the edge only because it's a better brand name. The XF270's a good monitor, it's just old at this point and not worth $330. And as good as the LG is, it's not in stock (and supposedly won't be until the end of next month), it's the most expensive, and it only carries a 1/1 parts/labor warranty by default while the Nixeus and Viewsonic are 3/3.

EDIT: He wound up getting the Nixeus. Leaving the links here just in case they help anyone else who's all :confused: about what the gently caress they should buy right now.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 30, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hey all- I ended up going with the Niexus monitor. Thanks for the replies and for Big Headline’s help with my incessant dithering over this.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Moved, trying to set up a home office, picked a bad time to do it :(

Uses: Coding. Have a macbook pro. I'm in Canada so almost everything that's good value on amazon.com is either sold out, ungodly expensive or not sold at all on amazon.ca.
Budget: w/e
Desired Specs: At least 1440p, USB-C

I'd rather spend C$600 on a quality IPS if I have to than get gouged for C$400 on a junky TN panel, so budget is flexible in that regard. I don't expect I'll be pc gaming anytime soon but my partner is a designer so we could get some use out of a display with good image/colour.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

fisting by many posted:

Uses: Coding. Have a macbook pro. I'm in Canada so almost everything that's good value on amazon.com is either sold out, ungodly expensive or not sold at all on amazon.ca.

I'd rather spend C$600 on a quality IPS if I have to than get gouged for C$400 on a junky TN panel, so budget is flexible in that regard. I don't expect I'll be pc gaming anytime soon but my partner is a designer so we could get some use out of a display with good image/colour.

https://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-EX2780Q-Monitor-Channel-Metallic/dp/B07X51X3CB

1440p, USB-C connectivity, under C$600.

Review: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/benq/ex2780q

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Perfect, thanks.

vv will do!

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 30, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

fisting by many posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Only other thing I can say is to turn off the HDR implementation it comes with - HDR almost always looks like dogshit on computer monitors, and the reviews seem to bear this out.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Does the Nixeus Edg 27v2 support MST? And how thick are the bezels?

I'm considering getting a pair for my fine but aging QNIX 27.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Does the Nixeus Edg 27v2 support MST? And how thick are the bezels?

I'm considering getting a pair for my fine but aging QNIX 27.

The top and side bezels are 1/2 inch, the bottom bezel is just slightly thicker (3/5 inch maybe?). I don't have a second monitor to test but there's no mention of MST support in any of the documentation so it doesn't look like it's supported.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Don't have one myself but the panel in the v2 is the v2 AUO panel used in all the slim-bezel monitors that use that panel. I don't think it's significantly different from the Innolux or LG panels, there's no magical way to have backlighting that isn't rear end and an ultra-thin bezel. Any modern monitor is going to have a much smaller bezel than a korean monitor, though.

They probably don't support MST and you couldn't use it anyway, because DP 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for more than one 1440p high refresh monitor. Also I question why you would get two - you really don't NEED high refresh on your secondary monitor, and unless you budget is close to unlimited it's hard to justify.

fisting by many posted:

Since you don't care about gaming IDK why that guy focused on a 1440p high refresh monitor. I think you should be looking at 4k. Wait until later today and one of the people more familiar with 4k USB monitors can probably help you. There should be some options in your budget.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Since you don't care about gaming IDK why that guy focused on a 1440p high refresh monitor. I think you should be looking at 4k. Wait until later today and one of the people more familiar with 4k USB monitors can probably help you. There should be some options in your budget.

Speaking as "that guy," my recommendation to him was based off 1) having researched a shitload of 1440p 27" monitors over the past week and a half, and 2) looking at Amazon & Newegg.ca and seeing that pickings for IPS USB-C monitors are rather slim and the pricing is within $50CAD of the BenQ. His getting a 144Hz display here is just gravy on the poutine.

4K USB-C monitors on Newegg.ca are all above his $600 'max.'

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

K8.0 posted:

They probably don't support MST and you couldn't use it anyway, because DP 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for more than one 1440p high refresh monitor. Also I question why you would get two - you really don't NEED high refresh on your secondary monitor, and unless you budget is close to unlimited it's hard to justify.

I'm really hoping to move to a 2 Monitor Setup where I can easily switch their input from my tower to a laptop with minimal fiddling.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagined that having two monitors chained together using MST would mean I'd only ever need to change a single input (in my case, Displayport output from my tower GPU to a Thunderbolt->Displayport adapter out). I was looking at the Nixeus mostly because I would be using them mostly for gaming at home, but the ability to use them for work on occasion would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've been working from home the past week, and I'll probably won't return to the office for at least a couple weeks.
I'm looking into buying another monitor because gently caress working on my tiny laptop screen all day.
We're able to buy a 24" Fujitsu B24-8 TS pro monitor and wireless keyboard + mouse (Fujitsu LX410). Total package is €180.
I've googled around and that seems like a decent deal. What do you think, goons?