Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've been asked to replace a laptop screen after the owners son sat on it by mistake. Half the screen is now green/purple so I assume theres no other avenue besides replacement.

I haven't done this before, but it doesn't seem like theres a lot to it, disassembling the screen assembly was easy enough, now I just need to get the replacement LED LCD.

There are an assortment of barcodes and serials on the back of the screen, so I'm not sure what to reference for a part number. The laptop model is a Toshiba C650D-026/PSC16c-02600M. Ebay lists a variety of screens but most just say for 650D, if the size is right, its LED and the connector is in the same place as the one I have here, is it safe to assume it will probably work? Also feel free to suggest a better source for getting replacement screens if you know of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

After 3 years of stubbornly trying to use my 46" TV as my primary display while doing the whole couch thing, I'm finally giving in and going to buy a proper monitor and desk. I want to make the jump to 2560x1440/1600, right now I have my sights set on this. Just in terms of whats available locally, I can get it for 599 at Future Shop and 550 at Best Buy currently. Thoughts?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

gently caress, I just remembered G-Sync. I don't really wanna go drop $600 on a monitor now that doesn't have it. I don't want anything less than 1440p, 27" and without G-Sync. Doesn't look like there are a lot of options at the moment.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This level of depth is all new to me really. I know LCD and LED are different, that's about it. Read a bit on the OP there, I can see where you're coming from. But how much longer would I have to wait + how much more expensive would an equivalent IPS alternative be?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whenever I hear anyone speak about viewing angles of IPS displays I think "when in the blue jesus am I going to be looking at my monitor from some weird angle".

I really want the ROG Swift mainly to jump up to 1440 and G-sync, well that's actually the entirety of my reasoning. Will just cost way too much to power 4k right now. But I cant find a retailer that has it in stock.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have two of these old 24" acers that were condemned at work, they only have HDMI, no DVI. I actually use HDMI-DVI converters for both and use the HDMI port on my card to run out to my AV receiver and then TV. Or I did, just sold my 770 last night and awaiting my Strix to arrive as well. Now you've got me thinking.

I really want that loving rog swift but its not available anywhere and it has me wondering. I really want to get gsync now while I'm buying, and I want to make the jump to WQHD. With that criteria though there doesn't seem to be any other options at the moment. If I don't get something soon I know I'll end up spending the money on a 4K TV, almost did today.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I haven't had a chance to enjoy too much time with my ROG Swift yet but I have to recommend it, I absolutely love it. I don't notice any of these lines as mentioned above, I hope mine holds up. Its just an absolute joy for someone retarded like me that wants it absolutely smooth as butter always. The Acer knock off looks like, well, a knock off to me, but I hope its good. I still have a second monitor in portrait style next to the swift as I did before for facebook/twitter etc to be open in while I'm playing a game, but I hate looking at the thing now. Be nice for something cheaper than the swift to come along so I could add another 1440p screen with better refresh rate.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

You guys returning all of your ROG Swifts make me kind of nervous that all I got on my pre-owned version was a scratch on a non-visible side of a bezel. :stare:

Well, after reading the thread on the ASUS site, I retract my previous post and will save everyone the trouble of reading that thread: DO NOT BUY THE ROG SWIFT. Mine is still working but now I think I might just check out the retailers return policy. By now I should know better than to jump on the first generation of anything.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had the ROG Swift now since November and theres no going back. However, I've noticed on the left side of the screen, on bright backgrounds theres about a half inch...mark..? protruding in from the edge of the panel. Its difficult to capture in a picture. I've began the RMA process but drat it I don't want to pay to ship the thing when the issue isn't very noticeable, just concerned it might be something that might spread, though that's probably a little crazy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Where can I get the best deal on a swivel/tilt monitor mount? Or I should say, one thats on an arm (in Canada btw)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems very easy to come across one of those Sony 3D 24" displays that were for the PS3 around here for about $100. Built in speakers, I read 240hz refresh rate? Surely couldn't be a bad idea for a second monitor could it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I figure this is the best place for this. Trying to diagnose a failing laptop display, its either the backlight or the inverter. Screen is almost totally black, can make out stuff with a flashlight pointed on it. Its not just brightness turned down. I was able to get half the screen in a triangular blotch to appear briefly but yeah. Without having parts to switch out and try, should I lean more towards the backlight itself or the inverter?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Catberry posted:

I recently upgraded my nvidia drivers and now often after running WoW my start menu looks like this.

Does anyone think there might be a correlation?

Have you rebooted? I often get this effect after exiting a game.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its old, its a Vista era Sony Vaio PCG-8152L. But it has a blu ray drive, dedicated graphics, a big 18" screen. I think it might be worth fixing for what basic facebooking this person is going to use it for. I've replaced whole screens before but diagnosing this is new territory for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do yourself a favor (and everyone else reading this too) go into your taskbar settings and enable small taskbar buttons. By default that thing just takes up too much room, and its even more evident on that big screen.

When I got back into PC gaming I just bought a tower and connected to my 46" Samsung. I see some people saying they picked up those cheapo models but I've always found most of that garbage for PC, depending on how its connected. If its HDMI on a cheap TV it usually looks all awful and wrong to me, but Samsung and I guess other top tier manufacturers have the PC mode there. I've had the ROG swift for a couple of years now and I dont think I could go back from 144hz/G-Sync, but I'm definitely missing the bigger screen by this time. I wanna do a 4K build but again, same thing. Cant eke that kinda framerate out of anything in existence right now @4K, and I'm too used to buttery smooth. Gotta pick your trade off I guess. That same 46" Samsung I got in 2012 is currently in my living room and I've got my eye on the Vizio E70, I think that prioritizes ahead of a new monitor right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

just like every other youtube personality now. It's very obnoxious.

"youtube personality" surely takes the cake for the most grand oxymoron I've ever read.

If I'm running a full screen game, I cant get any audio from a video say on a secondary monitor can I? I'm using my original Surface Pro connected to a monitor now to watch videos and look up wikis and stuff while playing games on my desktop, but thinking about moving that and just going dual monitor. I used to do it years ago but just remember it being such a dick around alt tabbing all the time, screen flickering and stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I got a new job and there's a 27" Apple display here in surplus. Outputs to DP, also has usb to power the hub on the back and what looks like a MacBook charger I guess. Plugged it into my work desktop via a mini DP to DVI adapter but I'm only getting 1280x760. Hoping I might be able to find a mini DP to regular DP adapter here but if not what can I try? Do they just hate PC's?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A users 24" BenQ here at work was acting weird so we replaced it. They didn't even notice it, but its fairly obvious theres something wrong. There are almost like vertical streaks along the width of the monitor, and it no longer gets very bright. Not painfully dark but quite dim next to another monitor. The streaks are fairly faint but I dunno how you could work on this thing and not see it. Anyway, any thoughts on what this is usually a sign of and if its fixable?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm the Biggest Idiot in the World and scratched up my high end monitor while moving. It has a matte front, is it possible/how hard would it be to replace just that? I'm guessing the entire LCD would have to go based on my experience with laptop screens. God, I'm so dumb.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That was great help. Found the panel on aliexpress right away though not exactly where I wanna shop from. But I can replace it for a half decent price if I really want to.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Parents had a power surge the other day and now the color is all hosed up on my mom's monitor, a bit dull with a red hue overpowering everything. I tried loving with the color settings from the Intel graphics panel, and oddly enough it seemed changing the properties of green has no effect, but the other colors have visible change when I move the sliders. Any thoughts? It's pretty old, think it's just done?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tried both ports and another HDMI cable

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Happened to see that MS now has a 4K version of their wireless display adapter. I'm actually in the process of planning at least to run a HDMI cable from my office to the living room (fortunately just across the hall basically). I have a Shield but I'd honestly rather just have the cable ran for couch gaming as well, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any effective wireless or other ways of achieving this without having to go through walls.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the current state of G Sync re: compatibility? I was an early adopter in 2014 with the original ROG swift, still rocking it despite putting a healthy gash in it while moving cause I'm a dummy. Its not all that bad while actually playing on it though. I wouldn't mind moving to IPS & gaining VESA capability. I'm looking at an Acer XV272U which the amazon ad has G Sync right in one of the photos, but the Acer site only lists Freesync capability, and the Nvidia site only lists a 272S model as compatible. How stringent are these listings?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I've gone ahead and read some reviews and it seems as long as you use the double penetration cable it should work fine. 2080 here so no worries I dont think

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What options are out there for streaming a computer's desktop to various other displays on site but too far to run cable to?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Chromecast, Miracast, and the Windows display Project function to other Windows machines could also work. Although I'm not sure how well any of those perform if you are projecting to multiple receivers.

These are all fairly short ranged though. What I want is something that is only going to send video like any other output device, rather than having to install some sort of computer on each display in order to be able to receive the input.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess CC would be wifi, woudln't it. I'll have to give that a try

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If I were to pick up a system for use as a HTPC, say it can do 4k@30hz via HDMI but 4k@60 via DP. Would a DP-HDMI cable work for 60hz given that the receiving end is capable?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a much bigger gently caress than it needs to be. We have several 4Ks at work and what a nuisance it can be trying to get 60hz on them, with relatively recent laptops (all Lenovo). I even have the fancy ~$300 dock for mine and no sir will it output 4k@60. Wait, I think I just answered my own question, because I think I did try a DP-HDMI and it didn't work. I have to run a USB C adapter off the laptop to get 60hz @ 4k

I just really want a living room PC as I have too much niche poo poo that cant be streamed easily via Roku or the Shield. I picked up wall plates to run a HDMI from my office to the living room (across the hall from each other, TV being on wall closest to office) but haven't gotten around to it. I picked them up on clearance too, so who wants to bet that they wont allow 4k@60 either.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A laptop display can be so thin presumably because the guts that would be inside a desktop monitor are housed inside the laptop, and its power brick. I'm thinking about that thing Samsung tried a few years ago with its TVs where the inputs were all in an external hub connected to the TV with a single cable. Has any company tried that with a monitor? Imagine having a 1/4" thick monitor on your wall, I suppose a ribbon cable wouldn't be ideal for external use. Just a random thought.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats the current value king for:
≥27"
≥WQHD
≥120hz
G sync
VESA mountable

Should I care about HDR?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 7, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rtings has a great rep but they constantly will cite HDR being a worthwhile difference between one monitor and one that doesn't have it. But its been said here its basically a scam as far as monitors go. What gives?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I put a scratch on my original ROG swift when moving a few years back and have just dealt with it. I want something new though, and I want VESA mountable so I can have the monitor sit a bit further back from me. I'd like to make the jump to 4K, but I'm running a HDMI cable out to the living room TV for that, as that will only be for casual/lounging style games anyway as I wont play my shooters and poo poo without high frames. So I guess its going to be another 27" @1440p. The M27Q is on sale right now, though many of its extra features seem superfluous for my use case. Viewsonic has an option thats $100 CAD cheaper, but as usual I'm given pause by reviews which may or may not be worth a gently caress. Couldn't care less about hard to reach USB ports, fancy OSDs, RGB or ergonomics- its going on a wall mount anyway.

One thing I did notice the other day, we were going through our wedding photos in bed the morning we received them, this was on my Surface Laptop. When I looked at them again later on the Swift, the colors looked so bad in comparison. That screen is 8 years old now, I wonder how one of these newer displays would handle color in comparison.

e: apparently the viewsonic drops to 6ms response time when G Sync is enabled, so that sucks.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Taima posted:

I own a lot of the best technology

Rub that in my face why dont ya.

Save space on your bookmarks bar by editing individual ones with identifiable icons and remove the title.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

infraboy posted:

I feel partially to blame though for not peeling the plastic on the back

you loving monster

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Secondary display is going to use a bit of VRAM, but performance impact should be negligible.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No dead pixels or anything on it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone tried any of those 2-300+hz monitors? Previously my games were running at 100+ fps but inconsistent, and now with a new GPU its steady at the max 144. Its actually improved my game, its very noticeable having the consistent rate. I didn't think there was much to be gained by going north of 144 but now I'm curious on what 200+ is like, though is that only available on 1080 monitors at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If its that thin wont it be disintegrated during travel?