Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

BANME.sh posted:

I have a fairly basic IPS monitor (LG 22EA53) and occasionally the whole display will darken significantly, then after 2 or 3 seconds it returns to normal brightness. It happens usually when I enter a program that uses primarily dark colors (my code editor, and adobe lightroom). It does this with both DVI and HDMI cables. It reminds me of some kinda garbage auto contrast setting, but I can't find any options to turn it off.

What kind of video card do you use? I think AMD calls this "varibrite" or something like that, and yes its garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I gotta say, that is one nice looking monitor. Pretty jealous of it. I've been thinking about ditching my dual screen setup and getting something similar.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Koramei posted:

Yeesh, there's not some trading group that passes around a shared colorimeter is there? I get that it's important but essentially requiring $100 extra for a lot of monitors for something that only gets used once (?) is pretty painful

I would also like to know this, since I have a new 4k IPS Freesync monitor on the way (and it's the first time I've ever paid attention to calibrating a monitor).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there some sort of test you can run on a freesync monitor to see if it has a good implementation or not?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Looking for a good ultrawide with a built in KVM. Use case is to switch between work laptop and home desktop. Any suggestions? I'm pretty loose on every other requirement - things like high refresh rates I would consider a plus, but not a requirement.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Looking for a good ultrawide with a built in KVM. Use case is to switch between work laptop and home desktop. Any suggestions? I'm pretty loose on every other requirement - things like high refresh rates I would consider a plus, but not a requirement.

Blurb3947 posted:

You can get the same functionality with a USB hub, really. But the M series Gigabyte ones are great.

Thank you - I checked this, but looks like they don't do power delivery over USB-C, so it wouldn't charge my laptop while it's plugged in.

Anyone have any recommendations for a monitor with a built in KVM that also has USB-C PD? Seems pretty niche....

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Huh, interesting. Maybe I'll pick one up to try out. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

shrike82 posted:

the power delivery on the Gigabyte monitors stuck out to me when they were released - 15W is useless for most laptops

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, probably on Windows laptops even normal office usage might exceed 15W.

I think in the case of an M1 MacBook 15W is probably ok as long as I'm not encoding video or playing video games or something like that. The charger which comes with the computer is only 30W, so I've got to believe that the worst case power consumption of the computer is < 30 W.

I have a M32QC arriving on Tuesday; I'll find out if 18w of power delivery (the specs they claim) is enough for my work laptop. I'm thinking probably not; and if so I'll be returning it most likely.

It's a Lenovo with an i7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Do people still do the no-name monitor gamble purchases? I remember years ago people posting in this thread about monitors that were really good deals from no-name companies, but it was sort of a gamble on if you got a good one or not.

I think this might have been around the time where high refresh rate monitors were sort of new and expensive, so maybe it was just a symptom of those times.